Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what specifically do they lie about?

They don't offer nutritional advice, and I don't believe any gym should offer nutritional advice unless they are actual nutritionists.

The biggest lie that I hear on these threads is that people who go to PF are out of shape, and discouraged from being in shape.

That's total bu*&##t! My PF has a lot of in-shape people, and yes, people trying to get there.
    PF is basically a no-frills gym. (It's $10 a month) There are no classes.
    You get what you put into it, and a lot of people get in great shape going there. (me included).

RE: pizza. I've never seen the pizza/bagels there. They serve it one night a week?/month? for a few hours.
    Seriously, if the possibility sabotages your weight loss efforts, you have bigger problems. Go to another gym, but don't trash a $10/month gym that suits many people just fine.

This.

My local PF has a free weights area, it also has an area for stretching. I don't know how heavy the heaviest weights are but they look heavy enough. It has a squat rack. I've heard people grunting from effort of lifting weights so they must be pretty heavy. I've also seen a lot of very fit people there of all ages. I've never heard the "lunk alarm" go off. They have pizza and bagels but I've never been there at those times and it's not like anybody is going to force you to eat them. I guess all this varies from location to location but the people who work at my PF seem pretty relaxed about the crazier rules. You can't beat the price they charge. I can't speak for every PF location but the one I go to is pretty good.

is it a smith machine or an actual squat rack???
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The free weights go to 75 not 60. I deadlift twice a week. There are plenty of very fit people to inspire. There is no dress code. And the one that annoyed me most is no grunting. You can grunt it up, nobody cares. They are super friendly and notice progress, twice since I've been going. There has never been a lunk alarm go off. I go 6 days a week for 5 months and I am so pleased that I didn't listen to any of the dumb stuff people post about PF.

Things I will agree with, the colors are stupid. I don't personally care about the 2 hours on the first Monday of the month that they serve pizza. I have only caught it twice but my kid like it.

I really hope the OP doesn't listen to anyone who hasn't worked out there.
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options

They don't offer nutritional advice, and I don't believe any gym should offer nutritional advice unless they are actual nutritionists.

The biggest lie that I hear on these threads is that people who go to PF are out of shape, and discouraged from being in shape.

That's total bu*&##t! My PF has a lot of in-shape people, and yes, people trying to get there.
    You get what you put into it, and a lot of people get in great shape going there. (me included).

RE: pizza. I've never seen the pizza/bagels there. They serve it one night a week?/month? for a few hours.
    Seriously, if the possibility sabotages your weight loss efforts, you have bigger problems. Go to another gym, but don't trash a $10/month gym that suits many people just fine.

This.

My local PF has a free weights area, it also has an area for stretching. I don't know how heavy the heaviest weights are but they look heavy enough. It has a squat rack. I've heard people grunting from effort of lifting weights so they must be pretty heavy. I've also seen a lot of very fit people there of all ages. I've never heard the "lunk alarm" go off. They have pizza and bagels but I've never been there at those times and it's not like anybody is going to force you to eat them. I guess all this varies from location to location but the people who work at my PF seem pretty relaxed about the crazier rules. You can't beat the price they charge. I can't speak for every PF location but the one I go to is pretty good.

is it a smith machine or an actual squat rack???

Some PF's have actual squat racks. The one in Providence RI has at least 3 of them.
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options

I believe the article is pointing out that if they are going to offer free pizza, bagels, and candy that they should at least post the nutritional information contained in said foods, so that people realize how many extra calories they are consuming. Other gyms don't post nutritional information because they don't give out free pizza, bagels, etc.

So you're saying that a gym who serves smoothies on the premise of their being healthy doesn't have to actually show how many calories are in them because the people who drink those are some how smarter than those who eat pizza? They magically know that there's additional calories in the drinks?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The free weights go to 75 not 60.
    It depends on the location. I visited a Planet Fitness recently wherein the barbells (not just the dumbbells!) only went up to 60 lbs.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have basically all the cardio equipment they have available in your home, so I would definitely recommend using your time there on resistance training.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It depends on the location. I visited a Planet Fitness recently wherein the barbells (not just the dumbbells!) only went up to 60 lbs.

That may be correct. The pre loaded bagels are only 60. I am pretty sure those are for the people too intimidated to uses the other barbells.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Consider the implications of such reasoning. Planet Fitness routinely says that other gyms are filled with meatheads, vain women, and other despicable people. That is the clear message conveyed in their advertising.

I think what they're saying is genius on their part to be honest. If you think about it, people tend to stereotype, and people who aren't familiar with gyms may think of them as being just that.... Hangouts for meatheads, bellowing while deadlifting, ect..... These people may not feel that this environment is somewhere they belong, it would be comfortable being in. I'm NOT saying that's right or wrong, but....it's the way some people think. And planet fitness is telling those people that they can feel comfortable in their gyms. Apparently the masses are embracing it too because planet fitness is laughing all the way to the bank.

Say what you want and boycott of you want, but they've cornered a big chunk of the market with it. And that's smart business.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

in for lulz
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The free weights go to 75 not 60. I deadlift twice a week. There are plenty of very fit people to inspire. There is no dress code. And the one that annoyed me most is no grunting. You can grunt it up, nobody cares. They are super friendly and notice progress, twice since I've been going. There has never been a lunk alarm go off. I go 6 days a week for 5 months and I am so pleased that I didn't listen to any of the dumb stuff people post about PF.

Things I will agree with, the colors are stupid. I don't personally care about the 2 hours on the first Monday of the month that they serve pizza. I have only caught it twice but my kid like it.

I really hope the OP doesn't listen to anyone who hasn't worked out there.

I have belonged to PF for about a year now and it has helped me lose almost 50 pounds. Where I am from, we have the option of PF for $10 a month OR we can pay $50+ a month for a nicer gym with "heavier things to pick up and sit down". Well, PF fits mine and my husband's needs. I actually have NEVER seen pizza there (I go three to four times a week). The facility is clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Sure, there's a lunk alarm thing, but I've never seen it used. I see very overweight people just starting out. I see people get on the treadmill and run for an hour. I see muscled up men come in and use the weights.

People come in, do their thing, and leave. Most of the issues that are touched on are non-issues. Please, OP, give it a shot.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    And one more thing. What's with bashing the pizza night? Doesn't everyone on mfp talk of how one can eat what they want as long as they stay within their calories?

No one here ever eats a piece of pizza?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    the dumbbells go up to 80 at all the PFs local to me.

The funny part is that I've seen some of the most inconsiderate gym goers at PF out of anywhere.

its cheap an convenient.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Either they have enough free weight to support your goals, or they don't. There really doesn't need to be any argument beyond that. If you want classes your obviously barking up the wrong tree
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it has its haters but of the 3 gyms ive been a member of, its BY FAR my favorite. it has more equipment and is cleaner than the other ones I used previously

the members that do not go essentially subsidize the ones that DO go. and im okay with that, cause im there 5-6 days a week ;)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and every one *I* have seen, wipes down their machine. I can't say the same of the other gyms i went to....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

That may be correct. The pre loaded bagels are only 60. I am pretty sure those are for the people too intimidated to uses the other barbells.

Best typo ever!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    And one more thing. What's with bashing the pizza night? Doesn't everyone on mfp talk of how one can eat what they want as long as they stay within their calories?

The problem isn't pizza per se. Rather, the problem is providing temptation in an environment where healthy eating should be encouraged.

Some people don't grasp this distinction. "What's wrong with pizza just once a month?" they say. That would be fine... but do you honestly think that this is the only time its patrons indulge in pizza? Your typical American doesn't need any encouragement to eat unhealthily, so why should a gym promote these kinds of dietary habits?

Heck, if you look at their website and promotional materials, they don't even encourage moderate consumption. It's just "Free pizza! Come have some!" Not a good message for people who need to get fit.

Consider this... a little bit of sugar now and then is okay, right? If a dentist were to hand out sugar cubes though, it would send a completely wrong message to his or her patients. The same thing is true of a gym wherein all of the freebies are fattening foods -- pizza, sugary candies, donuts, bagels, and cupcakes, depending on one's location.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Best typo ever!

Just spotted it. Very glad I make myself laugh.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

The problem isn't pizza per se. Rather, the problem is providing temptation in an environment where healthy eating should be encouraged.

Some people don't grasp this distinction. "What's wrong with pizza just once a month?" they say. That would be fine... but do you honestly think that this is the only time its patrons indulge in pizza? Your typical American doesn't need any encouragement to eat unhealthily, so why should a gym promote these kinds of dietary habits?

Heck, if you look at their website and promotional materials, they don't even encourage moderate consumption. It's just "Free pizza! Come have some!" Not a good message for people who need to get fit.

Consider this... a little bit of sugar now and then is okay, right? If a dentist were to hand out sugar cubes though, it would send a completely wrong message to his or her patients. The same thing is true of a gym wherein all of the freebies are fattening foods -- pizza, sugary candies, donuts, bagels, and cupcakes, depending on one's location.

What's so unhealthy about pizza that eating it needs to be referred to as "these kinds of dietary habits"? It's bread, tomato sauce, dairy, and probably meat and/or veggies, not crack cocaine.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

in for lulz

754e4aaf5729659908fc276f9ad74533.jpg