Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    And one more thing. What's with bashing the pizza night? Doesn't everyone on mfp talk of how one can eat what they want as long as they stay within their calories?

No one here ever eats a piece of pizza?

I don't see any issue with saying pizza is fine in moderation, but should not be offered at a gym where people are just starting off on their lifestyle change and probably have not learned to properly moderate their intake of calorie dense foods.

Some are just starting out, I agree. But I still think it's ultimately the clients responsibility to keep themselves in check. Some may not be as educated as others, but it's not rocket science to know that reaching for a second or third slice is a bad idea. Everyone knows that. Some just choose not to abide by it, in which case whether it's at the gym or at home....if they're going to overindulge they're going to do it. We all make choice all day long whether we realize it or not. This is one.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    And one more thing. What's with bashing the pizza night? Doesn't everyone on mfp talk of how one can eat what they want as long as they stay within their calories?

I don't see any issue with saying pizza is fine in moderation, but should not be offered at a gym where people are just starting off on their lifestyle change and probably have not learned to properly moderate their intake of calorie dense foods.

Some are just starting out, I agree. But I still think it's ultimately the clients responsibility to keep themselves in check. Some may not be as educated as others, but it's not rocket science to know that reaching for a second or third slice is a bad idea. Everyone knows that. Some just choose not to abide by it, in which case whether it's at the gym or at home....if they're going to overindulge they're going to do it. We all make choice all day long whether we realize it or not. This is one.

I guess the point is the gym should not encourage said overindulgence ...
  • cnbbnc
    Options

I guess the point is the gym should not encourage said overindulgence ...

Hey, I agree that a better choice to offer people would be subway sandwiches....don't get me wrong! I guess I'm just looking at it as not being overindulgence unless you let it be. I realize it isn't that easy though. If it were I wouldn't be trying to ditch the 20lbs of fat on my backside.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

The problem isn't pizza per se. Rather, the problem is providing temptation in an environment where healthy eating should be encouraged.

Some people don't grasp this distinction. "What's wrong with pizza just once a month?" they say. That would be fine... but do you honestly think that this is the only time its patrons indulge in pizza? Your typical American doesn't need any encouragement to eat unhealthily, so why should a gym promote these kinds of dietary habits?

Heck, if you look at their website and promotional materials, they don't even encourage moderate consumption. It's just "Free pizza! Come have some!" Not a good message for people who need to get fit.

Consider this... a little bit of sugar now and then is okay, right? If a dentist were to hand out sugar cubes though, it would send a completely wrong message to his or her patients. The same thing is true of a gym wherein all of the freebies are fattening foods -- pizza, sugary candies, donuts, bagels, and cupcakes, depending on one's location.

What's so unhealthy about pizza that eating it needs to be referred to as "these kinds of dietary habits"? It's bread, tomato sauce, dairy, and probably meat and/or veggies, not crack cocaine.
    Seriously? Pizza tends to be VERY fattening. This is largely due to the refined carbs and the cheese, which you omitted from your list of ingredients. As this article says, "pizza is indeed one of the most fattening foods created in the planet."

You are correct in saying that it's not as bad as crack cocaine. Frankly though, that's damning with faint praise.

When consumed in moderation, that's okay. The problem is that your typical American doesn't consume fattening foods in moderation. That's why it's foolish to defend this practice by saying "Pizza just once a month isn't bad!" Do we honestly think that your typical American would only consume pizza when it's offered at the gym?

Where I come from, cheese is considered dairy.

As far as I can tell, PF doesn't hold itself out as a weight loss clinic that might base its core services around the idea of reducing food intake. It's a cheap and basic entry level gym. That's it.

Do you hand out candy for Halloween? Ever filled an Easter basket? Taken a dish to a potluck? Cooked a holiday meal? Made cookies for a new neighbor? Every single one of those actions could just as easily be twisted to view as participation in the fattening of America and promotion of glutton culture as could having pizza once a month at PF.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    my suggestion ..cancel your membership and find a real gym that will allow you to use dumbbells over 50 pounds; that will allow you to squat and deadlift, and that truly is a judgement free zone…

As the OP has never been to a gym, her maxing out on the dumbbells is not likely a concern.

• ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    my suggestion ..cancel your membership and find a real gym that will allow you to use dumbbells over 50 pounds; that will allow you to squat and deadlift, and that truly is a judgement free zone…

As the OP has never been to a gym, her maxing out on the dumbbells is not likely a concern.

That was not my point, but thanks for playing...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at PF. The employee gym where I work is a ton better. As a matter of fact, I work in the HR benefits office, and I'm transferring to the fitness center next week. Ours has better locker room amenities (where my PF has NONE), tvs on each cardio machine where you can CHOOSE YOUR OWN CHANNEL! GASP! etc, etc. I only go to PF because it's cheaper and has better hours.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I'm really over this thread, but just wanted to say that I think it's kind of sad how people are so quick to jump in and start bashing on something that op is clearly excited and optimistic about. If you stepped off your high horses and actually read the original post, this does sound like a nice fit for HER needs, which is what she wanted opinions on. HER. Not you.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    My problem with PF is that they demonize any gym that caters to the bodybuilding demographic. Grunting, tank top and gallon water jugs don't make you a "lunk". I get that some people are intimidated by fit people at the gym. I can't agree with a place that that promotes that kind stereotype. I see women in yoga pants and tank tops at the grocery store, should I be intimated, and not go grocery shopping. Their Idea of a judgement free zone is a joke. With the mere fact that they are judging anybody who is fit and lifts heavy.

bingo.gif

I'd take that a step further and say that they demonize the fitness enthusiast in general, not just gyms that cater to the bodybuilding demographic. But, you know what they say, there's no such thing as bad pub.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    6b6bf7737a5345d9b147b9d733565bf6.jpg

I've never seen these signs at my PF.

Nor do they have a pizza night that I have seen. Never had the lunk alarm go off when I've been there. People mind their own business, I don't have random guys hitting on me or staring at me. No one is throwing weights around and grunting. There are tons of people who break the dress code, no one is chasing after them and kicking them out.

I go there because it's close to my house and only $10/mon. Plus, it's super clean, there are always employees in the locker room cleaning the showers and bathrooms, cleaning the machines late at night after the rush. I've have a membership to really nice gym and then PF- there's no difference except the price.

So, what you're saying, is it's like pretty much every other gym?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i went there. And then I went there sparingly. Then I moved and didn't go at all. What you're going to get is a lot of cardio but that's about it. It's not intimate. People don't really engage you in conversation unless you happen to look on the missed connections section on Craigslist. When I moved I joined anytime fitness. More pricey, definitely more weights-centric... but the workers greet me by name. Those intimidating weightlifting folk give me pointers in my fledgling attempts at starting a routine. I've felt more included there than in a year's time at PF. Still, the cardio game is strong I guess....

As a true Northerner, I prefer to NOT be engaged in conversation ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm really over this thread, but just wanted to say that I think it's kind of sad how people are so quick to jump in and start bashing on something that op is clearly excited and optimistic about. If you stepped off your high horses and actually read the original post, this does sound like a nice fit for HER needs, which is what she wanted opinions on. HER. Not you.

Op asked for suggestions and input on PF and got said feedback...
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have gone out of my way to emphasize that Planet Fitness *might* be the best option for some people -- my policeman friend, for example, who needs something that's open late at night. I acknowledge their positive aspects, such as their low cost. However, I also recognize that there are reasons why Planet Fitness is widely considered to be a disgrace to the fitness industry.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Honestly, i went there. And then I went there sparingly. Then I moved and didn't go at all. What you're going to get is a lot of cardio but that's about it. It's not intimate. People don't really engage you in conversation unless you happen to look on the missed connections section on Craigslist. When I moved I joined anytime fitness. More pricey, definitely more weights-centric... but the workers greet me by name. Those intimidating weightlifting folk give me pointers in my fledgling attempts at starting a routine. I've felt more included there than in a year's time at PF. Still, the cardio game is strong I guess....

I would lose my mind if someone wanted to engage me in conversation at any point while I'm there. When I'm arriving, I want to get my work done and go home. When I'm working, I'm sweaty, out of breath, overheated, in-the-zone, and will likely punch someone. When I'm done, I'm pretty much the same as when I'm working except I WANT TO GO HOME. The guy at the counter who says "Hey, how are ya?" when I'm coming in and "Have a good night!" when I'm leaving is ok.

I'm not what you call a "social butterfly."
  • spartan_d
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Classifying pizza as "bad" food is a sign of an eating disorder.

That's a tremendous exaggeration, but even if it were true... I explicitly said that it's okay in strict moderation, even as I stress that it's tremendously fattening. In fact, I had a small amount of pizza for lunch today, keeping my selection relatively lean.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing that pizza is very fattening. Reality is not going to change itself just to assuage someone's tender sensibilities.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

I would lose my mind if someone wanted to engage me in conversation at any point while I'm there. When I'm arriving, I want to get my work done and go home. When I'm working, I'm sweaty, out of breath, overheated, in-the-zone, and will likely punch someone. When I'm done, I'm pretty much the same as when I'm working except I WANT TO GO HOME. The guy at the counter who says "Hey, how are ya?" when I'm coming in and "Have a good night!" when I'm leaving is ok.

I'm not what you call a "social butterfly."

I agree. This is the extent of the greeting I get at PF and it's more than enough for me. Say "hi", scan my key tag, then say "bye" when I leave. I'm all set :)
  • spartan_d
    Options

what specifically do they lie about?

They don't offer nutritional advice, and I don't believe any gym should offer nutritional advice unless they are actual nutritionists.
    So people shouldn't even say "Eat five servings of fruits and veggies a day" unless they have a degree in nutrition? Methinks that's an unreasonably high requirement. So much for the notion that your average person can learn how to eat right!
    The biggest lie that I hear on these threads is that people who go to PF are out of shape, and discouraged from being in shape.

That's total bu*&##t! My PF has a lot of in-shape people, and yes, people trying to get there.
    Of course you're going to have some people who are in fit, and you're going to have some who are sincerely trying. Are they typical of their clientele though? Not according to NPR's podcast on this topic, in which a PF employee admitted that the vast majority of their members never show up.

The fact is that Planet Fitness policies actively hinder people from working out hard, Even PF's own CEO admits that their rules can hinder a person's fitness program. I daresay it's no accident that he himself works out in his basement rather than at Planet Fitness.

It isn't up to them to be giving out dietary/nutritional advice. They aren't nutritionists or dietitians, nor are the doctors. You're trying to "cookie cutter" that for people straight across the board but you can't. What about people with specific dietary restrictions? People on certain meds who can not consume some foods? People who could have a potential illness that alters their diet? You expect the gym staff to sort all that? All they have to do once is advise someone to eat something specific, and if something happens....guess who it comes back to bite in the butt. The gym. It's liability.

I understand your point, but I think you're clearly going too far. True, gym personnel might not be qualified to offer detailed nutritional advice for people who have "specific dietary restrictions." This does not mean that they aren't qualified to offer generic advice such as "Eat five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables per day," as the USDA recommends. Or even such basic advice as "Stop having donuts for breakfast everyday."

You don't need a medical degree to say, "Wash your hands regularly and avoid contact with bodily fluids." You don;'t need to be a dentist to say "Brush your teeth regularly and avoid sugary snacks." And you don't NEED to be a licensed nutritionist to offer generally sound advice on nutrition.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    6b6bf7737a5345d9b147b9d733565bf6.jpg

I've never seen these signs at my PF.

Nor do they have a pizza night that I have seen. Never had the lunk alarm go off when I've been there. People mind their own business, I don't have random guys hitting on me or staring at me. No one is throwing weights around and grunting. There are tons of people who break the dress code, no one is chasing after them and kicking them out.

I go there because it's close to my house and only $10/mon. Plus, it's super clean, there are always employees in the locker room cleaning the showers and bathrooms, cleaning the machines late at night after the rush. I've have a membership to really nice gym and then PF- there's no difference except the price.

So, what you're saying, is it's like pretty much every other gym?

Not looking to start a fight...good try though.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Classifying pizza as "bad" food is a sign of an eating disorder.

That's a tremendous exaggeration, but even if it were true... I explicitly said that it's okay in strict moderation, even as I stress that it's tremendously fattening. In fact, I had a small amount of pizza for lunch today, keeping my selection relatively lean.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing that pizza is very fattening. Reality is not going to change itself just to assuage someone's tender sensibilities.

Ummm, pizza is not 'very fattening'.
    And there is nothing wrong with fat, its just another macronutrient.
    You obviously have a poor understanding of nutrition. Perhaps you should stop listening to the broscience at your gym.