Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Maybe i am missing the point of what a "regular gym" is going to do for me that PF doesn't. I don't do dance classes, I don't swim inside, I don't want to pay $140 a month for my family not including guidance from a trainer. I don't want the mirrors everywhere. I don't want to watch people adoring on themselves. I hate the juice bar, in my opinion a million times worse than pizza once a month for 2 hours.

Why is mine bad and yours so superior? Except stupid commercials that you have some how taken way too personal.

PF works for you and that's great. I don't think anyone here is begrudging you for that.

People take issue with PF's deceptive marketing tactics, which unfairly portray "regular" gyms, and business practices, which maximize revenue to the detriment of its customers.
    Which business practices? You can cancel your membership any time. That is not the way in many "regular" gyms.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    6b6bf7737a5345d9b147b9d733565bf6.jpg

I've never seen these signs at my PF.

Nor do they have a pizza night that I have seen. Never had the lunk alarm go off when I've been there. People mind their own business, I don't have random guys hitting on me or staring at me. No one is throwing weights around and grunting. There are tons of people who break the dress code, no one is chasing after them and kicking them out.

I go there because it's close to my house and only $10/mon. Plus, it's super clean, there are always employees in the locker room cleaning the showers and bathrooms, cleaning the machines late at night after the rush. I've have a membership to really nice gym and then PF- there's no difference except the price.

I've never seen those signs either, or had any of the other experience people claim to have had. I've never seen or heard anything that resembles ANY kind of judgement (being out of dress code, comments, lunk alarms, etc)

As for pizza and bagels... well, I"m there 5-6 days a week and have never EVER seen it. Do they have it? I don't know. I've never seen it mentioned on the white board in the lobby. And... If I want pizza, I'm going to go get it from the local joint cause im sure its a lot tastier than whatever crap chain they are serving.... LOLOLOL

And just like ANY other service (mechanic, bank, daycare, restaurant, whatever....) there is a place for them all. And a clientele for them all. If you don't like one company, choose another. no harm no foul.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Maybe i am missing the point of what a "regular gym" is going to do for me that PF doesn't. I don't do dance classes, I don't swim inside, I don't want to pay $140 a month for my family not including guidance from a trainer. I don't want the mirrors everywhere. I don't want to watch people adoring on themselves. I hate the juice bar, in my opinion a million times worse than pizza once a month for 2 hours.

Why is mine bad and yours so superior? Except stupid commercials that you have some how taken way too personal.

PF works for you and that's great. I don't think anyone here is begrudging you for that.

People take issue with PF's deceptive marketing tactics, which unfairly portray "regular" gyms, and business practices, which maximize revenue to the detriment of its customers.
    Which business practices? You can cancel your membership any time. That is not the way in many "regular" gyms.

Here's the quick version: Their business model relies on a membership base that is several times greater than a typical gym. If everyone who belongs to PF actually went, they would be overwhelmed. They bank on most/many people joining but never/rarely going.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think PF is the biggest target for criticism because it's such a huge national chain and it advertises more, but thinking about it, every gym I've ever gone to or visited has some arguably silly marketing practices. The main gym I go to which I've belonged to for years is a smaller chain in NJ and I often hear the sales pitch the employees give to potential customers. It's usually catered towards the individual (naturally) and arguably uses the same methods people complain about with PF. If it's someone younger and more fit, the sales guy says something like "we want people who work out regularly and take fitness seriously and will actually use the facilities, not just someone who pays the monthly fee". When it's someone more out of shape it's "we welcome all shapes and sizes and fitness levels here and it's a very diverse and open-minded membership". LA Fitness does the same thing. It's just marketing. I feel like gym sales guys are like the cliche of a used car salesmen, saying anything to make a sale.

Anyway, let several people have already highlighted, the actual practices I've seen at PF locations are not at all judgmental, I've never seen anyone ringing a lunk alarm, I've seen plenty of deadlifts and squats and the other supposedly "banned" exercises, you can wear tank tops, etc. I guess if someone actually feels offended by their slogans and advertising that's their right, but the reality is that the large majority of people using PF do so for the convenience and price.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

What is it about PF offering pizza that indicates it's not to be eaten in moderation? That's what I don't get about your argument. I eat pizza once a week. It fits well within my nutrition goals. That, to me, is moderation. Free pizza night at PF, were I to join that gym, wouldn't change that.
    What I'm saying is that it's not a good idea for gyms to serve up free pizza because most people DON'T consume in moderation. This would be especially true of PF's target clientele, since the company makes a big deal about how their target market is the average Joe rather than avowed fitness enthusiasts.

If PF corporate actually urged people to consume in moderation, your argument would have more weight. It doesn't, though, If you look at their advertising, it's just "Hey, free pizza! Come and get it! It's a treat!"

• spartan_d
    edited September 2015
    Options

Here's the quick version: Their business model relies on a membership base that is several times greater than a typical gym. If everyone who belongs to PF actually went, they would be overwhelmed. They bank on most/many people joining but never/rarely going.

Not only that, but they use tactics that are meant to draw the less motivated people in ("Hey, free pizza! Free bagels! Free donuts!") even though they would actually hinder these people from making progress. And they enact policies that drive the more dedicated gym goers away ("No grunting! No deadlifting! No exercises that might make other people feel intimidated!")... again, even though the effect is to prevent people from pushing extra-hard in their workouts. To top it all off, they use advertisements that depict fit people as simpletons, or vicious taskmasters, or just plain weirdos.

It's brilliant. Unethical, but brilliant.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

What is it about PF offering pizza that indicates it's not to be eaten in moderation? That's what I don't get about your argument. I eat pizza once a week. It fits well within my nutrition goals. That, to me, is moderation. Free pizza night at PF, were I to join that gym, wouldn't change that.
    What I'm saying is that it's not a good idea for gyms to serve up free pizza because most people DON'T consume in moderation. This would be especially true of PF's target clientele, since the company makes a big deal about how their target market is the average Joe rather than avowed fitness enthusiasts.

If PF corporate actually urged people to consume in moderation, your argument would have more weight. It doesn't, though, If you look at their advertising, it's just "Hey, free pizza! Come and get it! It's a treat!"

I'm thinking that the once a month that PF serves pizza isn't going to send anyone over the edge into obesity, even if one person eats all the pizza that is brought in on free pizza night. It's once a month. Once a month. Not weekly, not daily, but monthly.

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

In bold letters on your membership agreement it says you can cancel any time. You really think noobs go to "regular" gyms any less frequently than PF? They are more expensive so they have a much lower enrollment numbers for noobs. Same as weight watchers or beach body workouts. How many people have never pressed play once on a p90 workout? Lots I am sure.

PF is awesome, the people who work there awesome, pizza once a month awesome, cost awesome, equipment awesome. Now I am going to haul my booty to my "way better advertised" gym than yours, and sweat an awesome bucket. Later hater.

• spartan_d
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I think PF is the biggest target for criticism because it's such a huge national chain and it advertises more, but thinking about it, every gym I've ever gone to or visited has some arguably silly marketing practices.
    The objection isn't that PF's marketing is silly. Rather, the complaint is that their marketing is deceptive, derogatory, and unethical.
    Anyway, let several people have already highlighted, the actual practices I've seen at PF locations are not at all judgmental, I've never seen anyone ringing a lunk alarm, I've seen plenty of deadlifts and squats and the other supposedly "banned" exercises, you can wear tank tops, etc.
    As we've said, some managers look the other way when these rules are violated. I commend them for that. Also, if the lunk alarm doesn't go off, it could very well be because the people have been conditioned to avoid setting it off.
    I guess if someone actually feels offended by their slogans and advertising that's their right, but the reality is that the large majority of people using PF do so for the convenience and price.
    That is undoubtably true, which is why I've said that it might be the most convenient option for some people. The criticisms you're seeing are directed toward the company, not the well-intentioned enthusiast who goes there because they're on a tight budget or because it's their only convenient option.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Rather, the complaint is that their marketing is deceptive, derogatory, and unethical.

Right but my point is that has basically been my experience with any gym I've ever been to. Perhaps there are gyms out there whose employees' motives are entirely altruistic and geared only towards helping everyone be their best selves, but mostly they all seem to just want to make a sale, same as PF.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

My argument is that PF has no moral or legal or nutritional obligation to police or moderate the caloric intake of its members. Your argument is that the average Joe eats too much pizza so the gym that he contracts to provide him access to treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, Cybex-type machines, and dumbbells, not dietary guidance, should not offer him pizza. Do you object to all corporations offering free food?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

In bold letters on your membership agreement it says you can cancel any time. You really think noobs go to "regular" gyms any less frequently than PF? They are more expensive so they have a much lower enrollment numbers for noobs. Same as weight watchers or beach body workouts. How many people have never pressed play once on a p90 workout? Lots I am sure.

PF is awesome, the people who work there awesome, pizza once a month awesome, cost awesome, equipment awesome. Now I am going to haul my booty to my "way better advertised" gym than yours, and sweat an awesome bucket. Later hater.
    They are more expensive so they have a much lower enrollment numbers for noobs.

I still think your view of a "regular" gym is quite...quite flawed.

More expensive....from my "regular gym" (where most mornings I'm the only guy in there) is a whopping $4 a month more than PF and that's because we're in a small town where the gym is basically a monopoly.

I think when you're calling gyms "regular" you're describing ones like "Globo" from Dogeball.....that are huge campuses and quite frankly are far from the "norm" or "regular" especially when you use $140 a month as a barometer.

Honestly....If PF's advertising goal wasn't to caricaturize and perpetrate stereotype of the fitness enthusiast and it's flagship slogan of a "judgement free zone" wasn't so hypocritical it'd catch far less hell that it does here. But, if they didn't do that they'd be another SNAP, 24/7, Anytime, whichever chain. They've found a way to cut a niche for themselves and probably a way to keep out that dedicated user, so kudos to them.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    Rather, the complaint is that their marketing is deceptive, derogatory, and unethical.

Right but my point is that has basically been my experience with any gym I've ever been to. Perhaps there are gyms out there whose employees' motives are entirely altruistic and geared only towards helping everyone be their best selves, but mostly they all seem to just want to make a sale, same as PF.

That's not the same thing. There's a huge difference between using unethical tactics and "just wanting to make a sale."

Most gyms are not altruistic. Most gyms just want to make sales. However, most gyms DON'T use the misinformation and unethical marketing tactics that form the backbone of Planet Fitness.
  • spartan_d
    Options

My argument is that PF has no moral or legal or nutritional obligation to police or moderate the caloric intake of its members. Your argument is that the average Joe eats too much pizza so the gym that he contracts to provide him access to treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, Cybex-type machines, and dumbbells, not dietary guidance, should not offer him pizza. Do you object to all corporations offering free food?

There is a huge difference between policing someone's caloric intake and providing needless temptations that work against their supposed goals.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I'm really over this thread, but just wanted to say that I think it's kind of sad how people are so quick to jump in and start bashing on something that op is clearly excited and optimistic about. If you stepped off your high horses and actually read the original post, this does sound like a nice fit for HER needs, which is what she wanted opinions on. HER. Not you.
    Please note my original posting. I explicitly noted that Planet Fitness works for some people (again, citing my policeman friend as an example) despite their policies.

Of course, that's not enough for some people. They have to go repeat the PF line about other gyms being terrible places ("I don't want to go to a gym where everyone is trying to be ;the world's strongest man'...). Or they defend it in other foolish ways. And so forth.

Besides, even if people were to say that going to PF would be a mistake for her (which nobody actually said), I wouldn't fault them for doing so. When somebody's starting out, it's perfectly legitimate to say, "Good for you," even as they warn them about some pretty serious pitfalls in their plans. Excitement is great, but reality won't change just because somebody is excited.

It was you who told her to cancel her membership, right?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Classifying pizza as "bad" food is a sign of an eating disorder.

That's a tremendous exaggeration, but even if it were true... I explicitly said that it's okay in strict moderation, even as I stress that it's tremendously fattening. In fact, I had a small amount of pizza for lunch today, keeping my selection relatively lean.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing that pizza is very fattening. Reality is not going to change itself just to assuage someone's tender sensibilities.

Ummm, pizza is not 'very fattening'.

As a general rule, it most certainly is. I even cited an article that quoted a nutritionist who says so.

Here. Let me show you a few additional sources.

http://articles.philly.com/1989-02-22/food/26153211_1_deep-dish-crust-flour
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/pizza-junk-food-8749.html
    http://news.uic.edu/pizza-a-major-contributor-of-fat-calories-sodium-to-youth-diet
    And there is nothing wrong with fat, its just another macronutrient.
    One that most Americans consume way too much of. That's one of the huge problems with the fast food industry, for example. (See http://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/weight-control-39/obesity-health-news-505/what-s-wrong-with-the-american-diet-644659.html)
    You obviously have a poor understanding of nutrition. Perhaps you should stop listening to the broscience at your gym.
    Oh, please. If you don't understand that pizza is fattening and that Americans tend to consume too much fat, then you clearly don't know what you;re talking about,. No wonder you think that Planet Fitness is such a wonderful place!

the "sources" you posted are newspaper articles…the first one from philly.com says nothing about the actual fat content of pizza, but just offers a way to make a lighter calorie pizza…

pizza is only fattening if one eats it to the point of caloric surplus, and fat is only bad in excess.

I *agree* that pizza is okay in strict moderation. In fact, I explicitly said so. The point is that moderation is necessary because it DOES tend to be fattening.

As for the Philly article, the whole point behind making a lighter calorie pizza is that pizza tends to be fattening... hence the recommendation for modifying its content.

yea, no. The point is that the caloric content makes it fattening if one eats it to excess. Pizza in itself is not fattening or non fattening...

By your definition anything that puts you in a caloric surplus is bad, because fattening. So if I my green beans put me in a surplus are they then fattening?

• ndj1979
    Options

your understanding of other gyms outside of the PF cult is severely flawed...
    I had a Gold's gym membership when I lived in NY and was often uncomfortable because of the behavior of some of the male members. I didn't last there long. There was no way I would deadlift there. Just walking in the free weight room was super intimidating. Not once did I lift a free weight there which I now get to do all the time, happily.

how exactly were these people intimidating? Did they say something to you? Or was that just your perception based on the fact that they were lifting heavy things...?

so because you had a bad a experience in one golds gym that automatically means that all non-PF gyms are filled with a bunch of heavy lifting d-bags?????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

your understanding of other gyms outside of the PF cult is severely flawed...
    I had a Gold's gym membership when I lived in NY and was often uncomfortable because of the behavior of some of the male members. I didn't last there long. There was no way I would deadlift there. Just walking in the free weight room was super intimidating. Not once did I lift a free weight there which I now get to do all the time, happily.

So your experience at one gym is applicable to all other gyms that aren't PF?

Sounds like you're making the sweeping generalizations you are upset with other people making about PF.
    Not at all. I am not saying the gym was lacking. The facility was up to date, complete, and clean. I will say the male members were often gross.

I assure you that if someone new to fitness came here asking my thoughts on starting a 24 hour fitness membership I'd say awesome! Bring it! I wouldn't say don't go because some people join and fail to cancel their membership when they quit. Or that the commercials are dumb so continue doing nothing. Your position on

how exactly were they "gross"? You keep making these broad generalizations with no specifics...
  • spartan_d
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm really over this thread, but just wanted to say that I think it's kind of sad how people are so quick to jump in and start bashing on something that op is clearly excited and optimistic about. If you stepped off your high horses and actually read the original post, this does sound like a nice fit for HER needs, which is what she wanted opinions on. HER. Not you.
    Please note my original posting. I explicitly noted that Planet Fitness works for some people (again, citing my policeman friend as an example) despite their policies.

Of course, that's not enough for some people. They have to go repeat the PF line about other gyms being terrible places ("I don't want to go to a gym where everyone is trying to be ;the world's strongest man'...). Or they defend it in other foolish ways. And so forth.

Besides, even if people were to say that going to PF would be a mistake for her (which nobody actually said), I wouldn't fault them for doing so. When somebody's starting out, it's perfectly legitimate to say, "Good for you," even as they warn them about some pretty serious pitfalls in their plans. Excitement is great, but reality won't change just because somebody is excited.

It was you who told her to cancel her membership, right?

Dead wrong. I said no such thing. In fact, here is a link to what I actually said.

And even if someone did make that recommendation, I'd hardly call that "bashing on something that op is clearly excited and optimistic about." After all, what is that person excited about? Getting fit, or getting fit at a specific location? The former is sensible; the latter is just silly. Warning the person about PF is no different from warning people about the hazards that Crossfit sometimes presents.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    My problem with PF is that they demonize any gym that caters to the bodybuilding demographic. Grunting, tank top and gallon water jugs don't make you a "lunk". I get that some people are intimidated by fit people at the gym. I can't agree with a place that that promotes that kind stereotype. I see women in yoga pants and tank tops at the grocery store, should I be intimated, and not go grocery shopping. Their Idea of a judgement free zone is a joke. With the mere fact that they are judging anybody who is fit and lifts heavy.

bingo.gif

I'd take that a step further and say that they demonize the fitness enthusiast in general, not just gyms that cater to the bodybuilding demographic. But, you know what they say, there's no such thing as bad pub.

You are right I should have use the word fitness enthusiast. Thank you for that.