Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    However, I also recognize that there are reasons why Planet Fitness is widely considered to be a disgrace to the fitness industry.

We're talking about gyms here, not cancer research facilities, no need for the theatrics. Working out is a priority to me as it is to most people but calling a gym a "disgrace" is really an overly dramatic term for what is really just a cute little hobby seeing as how most of us don't make our living as pro bodybuilders.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    And one more thing. What's with bashing the pizza night? Doesn't everyone on mfp talk of how one can eat what they want as long as they stay within their calories?

No one here ever eats a piece of pizza?
    The problem isn't pizza per se. Rather, the problem is providing temptation in an environment where healthy eating should be encouraged.

Some people don't grasp this distinction. "What's wrong with pizza just once a month?" they say. That would be fine... but do you honestly think that this is the only time its patrons indulge in pizza? Your typical American doesn't need any encouragement to eat unhealthily, so why should a gym promote these kinds of dietary habits?

Heck, if you look at their website and promotional materials, they don't even encourage moderate consumption. It's just "Free pizza! Come have some!" Not a good message for people who need to get fit.

Consider this... a little bit of sugar now and then is okay, right? If a dentist were to hand out sugar cubes though, it would send a completely wrong message to his or her patients. The same thing is true of a gym wherein all of the freebies are fattening foods -- pizza, sugary candies, donuts, bagels, and cupcakes, depending on one's location.

Classifying pizza as "bad" food is a sign of an eating disorder.

A bit over dramatic? Assume you can produce your PhD to back up that diagnosis.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

That's a tremendous exaggeration, but even if it were true... I explicitly said that it's okay in strict moderation, even as I stress that it's tremendously fattening. In fact, I had a small amount of pizza for lunch today, keeping my selection relatively lean.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing that pizza is very fattening. Reality is not going to change itself just to assuage someone's tender sensibilities.

Ummm, pizza is not 'very fattening'.

As a general rule, it most certainly is. I even cited an article that quoted a nutritionist who says so.

Here. Let me show you a few additional sources.

http://articles.philly.com/1989-02-22/food/26153211_1_deep-dish-crust-flour
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/pizza-junk-food-8749.html
    http://news.uic.edu/pizza-a-major-contributor-of-fat-calories-sodium-to-youth-diet
    And there is nothing wrong with fat, its just another macronutrient.
    One that most Americans consume way too much of. That's one of the huge problems with the fast food industry, for example. (See http://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/weight-control-39/obesity-health-news-505/what-s-wrong-with-the-american-diet-644659.html)
    You obviously have a poor understanding of nutrition. Perhaps you should stop listening to the broscience at your gym.
    Oh, please. If you don't understand that pizza is fattening and that Americans tend to consume too much fat, then you clearly don't know what you;re talking about,. No wonder you think that Planet Fitness is such a wonderful place!
  • spartan_d
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    However, I also recognize that there are reasons why Planet Fitness is widely considered to be a disgrace to the fitness industry.

We're talking about gyms here, not cancer research facilities, no need for the theatrics. Working out is a priority to me as it is to most people but calling a gym a "disgrace" is really an overly dramatic term for what is really just a cute little hobby seeing as how most of us don't make our living as pro bodybuilders.

And see? That's exactly the kind of falsehood that PF likes to perpetuate. "You're not a pro bodybuilder, so you don't belong in those other gyms. They're lunks; you're not." Also, "You shouldn't be deadlifting or doing overhead presses. You're not trying to win a body building contest."

Newsflash: These "other gyms" are FILLED with regular Joes and Janes who aren't pro athletes. And even an average person can benefit tremendously from deadlifting, overhead pressing, and bench pressing -- three of the most useful strength building exercises around.

THAT is one reason why Planet Fitness is widely considered a disgrace. Not because it caters to average folks; that part is fine. Rather, it's because it preys upon these people by feeding them misinformation and fostering their insecurities.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    6b6bf7737a5345d9b147b9d733565bf6.jpg

I've never seen these signs at my PF.

Nor do they have a pizza night that I have seen. Never had the lunk alarm go off when I've been there. People mind their own business, I don't have random guys hitting on me or staring at me. No one is throwing weights around and grunting. There are tons of people who break the dress code, no one is chasing after them and kicking them out.

I go there because it's close to my house and only $10/mon. Plus, it's super clean, there are always employees in the locker room cleaning the showers and bathrooms, cleaning the machines late at night after the rush. I've have a membership to really nice gym and then PF- there's no difference except the price.

So, what you're saying, is it's like pretty much every other gym?

Not looking to start a fight...good try though.

Who's looking to start a fight? The bolded basically describes the majority of gyms. Nice passive aggressive though.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    wonut wrote: »
    You'll see lots of fact people, old people, and yes, even extremely fit people at my PF. What you don't see is body builders. It's not meant for them and they seem to get butt hurt about that. But of course, you don't want my middle-aged, fat *kitten*, hogging the squat racks at your "real gyms" so get over yourself and be grateful that there is a place for people like us to try to improve our health.

PF has trained you well.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I deadlift and overhead press all the time. I am thinking that you all who rag on it don't workout there. And if you all naysayers are at "regular gyms", I really don't want to be there. Your attitude stinks. We should be encouraging each other. OP you go. You will love Planet Fitness. Especially a brand new facility.
  • spartan_d
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I deadlift and overhead press all the time. I am thinking that you all who rag on it don't workout there.
    Of course. People who have principled objections to a business generally choose not to patronize it.

As I said earlier, do people need to belong to an organization in order for their complaints to be legitimate? If so, then by that logic, Planet Fitness has no business criticizing other gyms, which they do all the time.

As for deadlifting and overhead pressing, if you manage to do that at a PF, then good for you! As stated here and in other discussions, not all PF locations enforce the official corporate policy, which is fortunate. Personally, I commend the PF managers who recognize how foolish these rules are and who look the other way.
    And if you all naysayers are at "regular gyms", I really don't want to be there. Your attitude stinks. We should be encouraging each other. OP you go. You will love Planet Fitness. Especially a brand new facility.

What's so bad about saying that a gym's policies work against its own customers? Reality isn't going to change just because we pretend otherwise.

I fully agree that people need to encourage each other. The criticism you're seeing is against the business, not the well-intentioned individuals who are starting out or who have fallen for PF's unethical marketing strategy.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Because your opinion is based on stupid commercials. It is silly. At not liking their corporate philosophy?.. I don't like Walmart but I won't stand in your way of cheap grapes if you think starving employees is worth it to your wallet.

Not only am I saying that I deadlift and overhead press often, I am saying that I was shown proper form by the trainer when I asked. They are so supportive. If it is real that other locations are like that, I feel bad for people. But, if you pay attention to the people who do say they really workout there, they have mostly praises and gratitude.

• spartan_d
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I'm really over this thread, but just wanted to say that I think it's kind of sad how people are so quick to jump in and start bashing on something that op is clearly excited and optimistic about. If you stepped off your high horses and actually read the original post, this does sound like a nice fit for HER needs, which is what she wanted opinions on. HER. Not you.
    Please note my original posting. I explicitly noted that Planet Fitness works for some people (again, citing my policeman friend as an example) despite their policies.

Of course, that's not enough for some people. They have to go repeat the PF line about other gyms being terrible places ("I don't want to go to a gym where everyone is trying to be ;the world's strongest man'...). Or they defend it in other foolish ways. And so forth.

Besides, even if people were to say that going to PF would be a mistake for her (which nobody actually said), I wouldn't fault them for doing so. When somebody's starting out, it's perfectly legitimate to say, "Good for you," even as they warn them about some pretty serious pitfalls in their plans. Excitement is great, but reality won't change just because somebody is excited.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Maybe i am missing the point of what a "regular gym" is going to do for me that PF doesn't. I don't do dance classes, I don't swim inside, I don't want to pay $140 a month for my family not including guidance from a trainer. I don't want the mirrors everywhere. I don't want to watch people adoring on themselves. I hate the juice bar, in my opinion a million times worse than pizza once a month for 2 hours.

Why is mine bad and yours so superior? Except stupid commercials that you have some how taken way too personal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Maybe i am missing the point of what a "regular gym" is going to do for me that PF doesn't. I don't do dance classes, I don't swim inside, I don't want to pay $140 a month for my family not including guidance from a trainer. I don't want the mirrors everywhere. I don't want to watch people adoring on themselves. I hate the juice bar, in my opinion a million times worse than pizza once a month for 2 hours.

Why is mine bad and yours so superior? Except stupid commercials that you have some how taken way too personal.

your understanding of other gyms outside of the PF is severely flawed...
  • ndj1979
    Options

That's a tremendous exaggeration, but even if it were true... I explicitly said that it's okay in strict moderation, even as I stress that it's tremendously fattening. In fact, I had a small amount of pizza for lunch today, keeping my selection relatively lean.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing that pizza is very fattening. Reality is not going to change itself just to assuage someone's tender sensibilities.

As a general rule, it most certainly is. I even cited an article that quoted a nutritionist who says so.

http://news.uic.edu/pizza-a-major-contributor-of-fat-calories-sodium-to-youth-diet
    One that most Americans consume way too much of. That's one of the huge problems with the fast food industry, for example. (See http://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/weight-control-39/obesity-health-news-505/what-s-wrong-with-the-american-diet-644659.html)
    You obviously have a poor understanding of nutrition. Perhaps you should stop listening to the broscience at your gym.
    Oh, please. If you don't understand that pizza is fattening and that Americans tend to consume too much fat, then you clearly don't know what you;re talking about,. No wonder you think that Planet Fitness is such a wonderful place!

the "sources" you posted are newspaper articles…the first one from philly.com says nothing about the actual fat content of pizza, but just offers a way to make a lighter calorie pizza…

pizza is only fattening if one eats it to the point of caloric surplus, and fat is only bad in excess.
  • ndj1979
    Options

deadlifing in a smith machine is not deadlifting….
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

your understanding of other gyms outside of the PF cult is severely flawed...
    I had a Gold's gym membership when I lived in NY and was often uncomfortable because of the behavior of some of the male members. I didn't last there long. There was no way I would deadlift there. Just walking in the free weight room was super intimidating. Not once did I lift a free weight there which I now get to do all the time, happily.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I had a Gold's gym membership when I lived in NY and was often uncomfortable because of the behavior of some of the male members. I didn't last there long. There was no way I would deadlift there. Just walking in the free weight room was super intimidating. Not once did I lift a free weight there which I now get to do all the time, happily.

So your experience at one gym is applicable to all other gyms that aren't PF?

Sounds like you're making the sweeping generalizations you are upset with other people making about PF.
  • spartan_d
    edited September 2015
    Options

the "sources" you posted are newspaper articles…the first one from philly.com says nothing about the actual fat content of pizza, but just offers a way to make a lighter calorie pizza…

pizza is only fattening if one eats it to the point of caloric surplus, and fat is only bad in excess.

I *agree* that pizza is okay in strict moderation. In fact, I explicitly said so. The point is that moderation is necessary because it DOES tend to be fattening.

As for the Philly article, the whole point behind making a lighter calorie pizza is that pizza tends to be fattening... hence the recommendation for modifying its content.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

PF works for you and that's great. I don't think anyone here is begrudging you for that.

People take issue with PF's deceptive marketing tactics, which unfairly portray "regular" gyms, and business practices, which maximize revenue to the detriment of its customers.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

So your experience at one gym is applicable to all other gyms that aren't PF?

Sounds like you're making the sweeping generalizations you are upset with other people making about PF.
    Not at all. I am not saying the gym was lacking. The facility was up to date, complete, and clean. I will say the male members were often gross.

I assure you that if someone new to fitness came here asking my thoughts on starting a 24 hour fitness membership I'd say awesome! Bring it! I wouldn't say don't go because some people join and fail to cancel their membership when they quit. Or that the commercials are dumb so continue doing nothing. Your position on
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I *agree* that pizza is okay in strict moderation. In fact, I explicitly said so. The point is that moderation is necessary because it DOES tend to be fattening.

As for the Philly article, the whole point behind making a lighter calorie pizza is that pizza tends to be fattening... hence the recommendation for modifying its content.

What is it about PF offering pizza that indicates it's not to be eaten in moderation? That's what I don't get about your argument. I eat pizza once a week. It fits well within my nutrition goals. That, to me, is moderation. Free pizza night at PF, were I to join that gym, wouldn't change that.