Goal outfit?

Options
anyone ever buy a goal outfit or pair of jeans you're hoping to fit into at your goal size? I'm 24 pounds away from my goal right now but honestly I have no idea what size I'd be when I got there. I feel like my thighs hold me back in achieving the size I want to be but I'm hoping they shrink down. I'm currently in a size 12 due to my thighs, the pants are big around my waist but I've got one of those horrible body shapes. I seriously hope it changes. Anyone have this experience?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Horrible body shape?

Stop it. Stop looking at your thighs that way. Love your body. Use your thighs for something they were meant to do.

i know I'm biased by my favorite sport and exercise, but I just couldn't let you keep dissing them like that.

I don't know what size you'll be, but my suggestion is start loving yourself no matter your size. Sure, have fitness and aesthetic goals. But ... Thighs!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I assure you (and I can say this without seeing you) you do NOT have a horrible body shape. No woman in this world does. Please start showing yourself more respect. Being 'thin' does not equal success and beauty. When I was overweight, I had heavy thighs - I still have heavy thighs, but they are are firm and toned and strong. I embrace what I have because I'm totally unique. You are too.

Can I also point out that Beyonce, one of the worlds most desired and envied women - has an incredible pair of thighs and they certainly aren't 'small'. :)

Be happy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Nope, haven't and have no plans to buy a goal outfit but have some goal jeans I'd like to get back into.
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    most of my jeans right now. pretty much just want to wear sweats!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes -- the jeans I was wearing when I hit the 40-lb loss mark two years ago :)
    (((note -- I was about to put a :( on the end of that sentence -- but I switched it to a smile. That is my small victory for the day.)))

OP, you don't have a "horrible body shape" -- you're you -- and you're beautiful and will be even more so the closer you get to your "best you" :)
  • KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First, you do not have a horrible shape. I wont reiterate what other users have already said about loving and accepting your build for what it is but I agree with them whole heartedly.

Honestly throughout this process I just buy myself more high quality workout clothes. I bought bikinis this summer that would probably look better if I was a size smaller, but I bought them namely because they look fine on me now, too. Buying workout clothes keeps me motivated to go to the gym because I have a new cute outfit to wear there, and because they're versatile (ex wearing workout leggings to the gym and with boots and a large sweater in the winter) and super comfy. I think buying yourself a true "goal outfit" is setting yourself up for disaster - like you've said, you don't know what size you'll really be by the time you reach your goal weight, and having said outfit whether put in the open for you to see every day or stuffed in the back of your closet seems ominous and could detriment your confidence and motivation because you haven't reached it yet or push you to reach your goal too quickly and cause unhealthy habits. I say take it day by day, don't base this process on fitting into a certain size of clothing but rather measure your success on your degree of happiness and how you feel.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually don't buy clothing ahead but right now I have one dress that I'm waiting to get into. I wouldn't say that it's at my goal size, though, because I don't really have a goal size in mind.

I can commiserate with your thoughts on having a horrible body shape. Sometimes I'm fine and sometimes it's a real struggle. It is a mental thing, as I am sure that if I saw you and you saw me we'd both think "she looks great" but, yep, I get you.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use clothing as a goal or reward, since none of the sizing is standardized. It's pretty arbitrary. Wearing something that fits well & makes me feel great is much more appealing than honing in on a particular item or going by a size number.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I hit up thrift stores for goal clothes all the time. I also try on things in my size. It teaches me that designers create their wares for different body shapes, but that's okay, because if I look hard enough I will find something that works for my shape.

And if you reach the fat loss goal you're striving for and end up with big muscular thighs, be happy with them! Muscle is expensive, it keeps you burning more calories. Not to mention carrying you where you want to go.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of pants that fit me a few years ago, and I am hoping by the time it gets cooler out they will fit me. :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've never bought a goal outfit, but I have saved this teeny-tiny white bikini I wore for a hot minute in college and that hasn't fit me since. Because maybe... some day....
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hey try a different brand! some are cut just weird, maybe you need a higher lower rise, and we are all built different and thats not a bad thing!!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I never bought a goal outfit and I'm glad I didn't, because I ended up much smaller than I'd have imagined I'd be at my goal weight. In other words, there's no real way of predicting what shape or size you'll be at a particular scale weight until you get there.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I actually need to buy new pants right now because my jeans are too big, but I'm putting off spending the money for as long as possible. I'm somewhat close to my goal weight - but also have quite a large range because I just don't know how the weight is going to come off and how I'll look once I get there. (I'm at 136 right now and aiming for somewhere between 121 and 127).

So personally, I wouldn't go out and buy a new goal outfit. If it's old clothes that you want to fit into again, that's different. But I say save your money and buy something you know you'll like (and will fit!) once you reach your goal as a reward :)

Best of luck to you! You'll get there!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I don't know what size you'll be, but my suggestion is start loving yourself no matter your size. Sure, have fitness and aesthetic goals. But ... Thighs!

This, and seriously what size you are does not matter and will probably differ depending on the brand anyway. Some jeans make me feel uncomfortable or don't fit my body right, so I don't wear them. Other jeans make me feel slender and happy with my body, so I go with them.

As for goal outfit -- I had a pair of jeans I wore at my thinnest before (well, 10 years ago) that I wanted to fit into, as well as my first ever serious interview suit (from '92--kind of ugly, but being able to wear it makes me happy), and ridiculously, a dress from high school (my excuse for having this is that I might need a costume for an '80s party).

The jeans fit, the suit is a bit tight, and I haven't tried the dress yet.

When I was losing I picked a brand of jeans I knew I liked -- and which wasn't too expensive -- and bought one, two, and three sizes down, to be aspirational (started this with size 14 through 10). These were among very few new things I bought when losing (I had old things that started to fit again and I had to buy some 12-14 work things to fill in a gap, although I kept it to a minimum). I found this a fun way to encourage myself and help myself see the change, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't know the brand would work for me, and I didn't go all the way to goal until I was close to goal.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

This, and seriously what size you are does not matter and will probably differ depending on the brand anyway. Some jeans make me feel uncomfortable or don't fit my body right, so I don't wear them. Other jeans make me feel slender and happy with my body, so I go with them.

As for goal outfit -- I had a pair of jeans I wore at my thinnest before (well, 10 years ago) that I wanted to fit into, as well as my first ever serious interview suit (from '92--kind of ugly, but being able to wear it makes me happy), and ridiculously, a dress from high school (my excuse for having this is that I might need a costume for an '80s party).

The jeans fit, the suit is a bit tight, and I haven't tried the dress yet.

When I was losing I picked a brand of jeans I knew I liked -- and which wasn't too expensive -- and bought one, two, and three sizes down, to be aspirational (started this with size 14 through 10). These were among very few new things I bought when losing (I had old things that started to fit again and I had to buy some 12-14 work things to fill in a gap, although I kept it to a minimum). I found this a fun way to encourage myself and help myself see the change, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't know the brand would work for me, and I didn't go all the way to goal until I was close to goal.

So true! The size inconsistencies is ridiculous. Especially in thrift stores, where the older the clothes, usually the bigger the size you need. Except juniors. Except some regular brands. Except hip huggers vs straight up mom jeans. It's ridiculous. Find some jeans that suit you and if the size is on a label, tear that sucker off because it doesn't mean anything.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I wouldn't use clothing as a goal or reward, since none of the sizing is standardized. It's pretty arbitrary. Wearing something that fits well & makes me feel great is much more appealing than honing in on a particular item or going by a size number.

I was trying to figure out how to express this - thanks!

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Jeans are way too expensive to be buying a pair that you're not sure will ever fit right. Sure, you may get small enough to get them on, but when they're not flattering because the cut is all wrong, will you really care?

If you want to treat yourself that way, start saving up money for one or more 'goal weight outfits' - and don't get specific about what you're going to buy. Depending on how much your shape changes, you may need to relearn what flatters you.

Going out and trying on new styles, things you'd have never thought to have tried before is (or should be) part of the fun. Don't forget to bring your sense of humor. There'll still be styles that look hilariously bad - no one looks good in everything. And some styles just don't look good on anyone. I usually try on at least one thing that I think is probably going to look ridiculous on me. Sometimes I'm surprised and it actually looks good. Most times I'm not and I get a good laugh out of it.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    GeddesFit wrote: »
    I feel like my thighs hold me back in achieving the size I want to be but I'm hoping they shrink down. I'm currently in a size 12 due to my thighs, the pants are big around my waist but I've got one of those horrible body shapes. I seriously hope it changes. Anyone have this experience?

The women on both by mum & dad's sides have enormous thighs. I was never going to have anything else.

Once upon a time I looked in the mirror at them in disgust, wishing I could slim them down. Now I look at them and see the muscle that powers me through cardio and lets me push up on those squats.

My thighs are huge and I love them. They are womanly and sexy!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    As a teen in the 90's I hated my thighs. I thought they were "big". In reality, they were very muscular as I only weighed 110lbs, but the wait look was in (think Kate Moss and other super skinny women). It used to cry over it because there was no way I could ever look like that without doing something unhealthy. In retrospect, what a waste of time obsessing about that was, I had a great body then and didn't see it. I just remember how hard it was to find pants that fit properly because I had to buy a size larger to accommodate my thighs and butt and the waist would always be super larger. Now, I am glad I have a predisposition for a muscular physique. It makes weight loss easier and I don't have cellulite. And guess what, being super skinny is no longer in, so now, I am happy to have my toned 'big' thighs, and it seems that clothing manufacturers have changed the cut of pants so it's not nearly as hard to find pants. Also, if the waist is large but everything else fits well get the pants altered. I get my clothes altered all the time - it's not expensive. The only issue is having to wait a few more days to wear them but it's worth the wait! If all else fails consider yourself fortunate that you have both legs and they are healthy. There are much worse alternatives to big thighs lol.