Feeling Like a Piece of **** Loser

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to destroy your diet.

And as others have said, you need to get some help fixing your relationship with food because you don't seem to want to listen to and implement the large amount of good advice that you've received.

I am implementing the stuff, I just had a bad time this evening cause i got a low blood sugar. A humans brain doesn't function properly when low on sugar. So I made really bad food choices and I feel terrible about it. Please understand I am implementing. Just like this: Eating at a deficit, logging and weighing everything, lifting heavy and doing some cardio.

Then call it a "cheat meal' and let it go. Seriously.

You know what I did today? I went to my favorite BBQ joint and ordered the pork and beef combo and washed it down with a beer. Then I ordered a 1/2 a rack of ribs and washed that down with another beer. Then my kids and wife wanted dessert so we ordered a big chocolate cake and a peanut butter pie. Oh and I washed THAT down with another beer. Then I took my very happy self home and napped on the couch for 4 hours on the couch while the kids used me as a jungle gym.

And you know what? It felt really good. I mean damn good!

Do I do that every day? No. Do I even do that every week? No.

Most days I track my diet like an OCD statistician. But I'm human and you're human and we all need a damn break once in a while. Take it. Please. Let it go. You'll be much happier and successful for it.

OP please listen to this.

Also please try to see one of the many free counselors available for those who can't afford to pay one. It might help you to talk through your feelings with someone who can help you.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    im seeing a bog-standard shame spiral.

it happened. hopefully it wont happen again for a while. youll be fine.

tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it :)
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    :noway: OP, please don't take this the wrong way, but you are T1 diabetic. Corrections are not new to you and if they are, and you are newly diagnosed, I apologize as I hear the learning curve can be a tough row to hoe.

If you're not new to the wonderful world of diabetes, then you know that the carby stuff you ate wasn't the way to treat a hypo :huh: ...but it's over now and I suspect you've tested & corrected as needed. Live & learn.

Glucose tabs are the best way for *you* to treat a low, your diabetic counselor or CDI should've covered that with you. Dr. Richard K. Bernstein (available on kindle for cheeeep) Diabetes Solution is an excellent source for management. Manage your dz and you will manage your relationship to food.

I know when my bg's are upwards of 140ish mg/dl I don't lose weight. I'm eating low carb, high fat & finding that I get full easily & quickly as a result, I've stopped logging foods. Just not necessary anymore =)

I wish you the best, I'm sorry a velociraptor ate your pancreas, it sucks wind :ohwell: .
    Now get off your butt and tomorrow, do what you need to do :drinker:
    Finally a diabetic with some sense in here. I told OP she was treating her diabetes wrong and I'm not diabetic, maybe she needs to hear it from someone who is, because apparently her doctor isn't doing a good job on informing her.
    Barbara you're a pretty girl with a husband and child and about 10lbs to lose the most. You seem to be tormenting yourself every day not with food, but with the ideas of food, and theoretical outcomes of purposed trainings and mystery macros you never seem to hit then wonder how long till results. I can only imagine what your husband has to deal with. You look good how you are, is it really worth the manic moments you're giving yourself?
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a dietitian to gives the advice of targeting 30-60 grams of carbohydrates per meal every day. She said that low blood sugar creates a starvation response in your body. She said you need to keep from getting to that point in order to maintain blood sugar on an even keel. That will help you control your food intake and thus get to a normal body weight. Ive followed her advice and lost 62 pounds so far.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    :noway: OP, please don't take this the wrong way, but you are T1 diabetic. Corrections are not new to you and if they are, and you are newly diagnosed, I apologize as I hear the learning curve can be a tough row to hoe.

If you're not new to the wonderful world of diabetes, then you know that the carby stuff you ate wasn't the way to treat a hypo :huh: ...but it's over now and I suspect you've tested & corrected as needed. Live & learn.

Glucose tabs are the best way for *you* to treat a low, your diabetic counselor or CDI should've covered that with you. Dr. Richard K. Bernstein (available on kindle for cheeeep) Diabetes Solution is an excellent source for management. Manage your dz and you will manage your relationship to food.

I know when my bg's are upwards of 140ish mg/dl I don't lose weight. I'm eating low carb, high fat & finding that I get full easily & quickly as a result, I've stopped logging foods. Just not necessary anymore =)

I wish you the best, I'm sorry a velociraptor ate your pancreas, it sucks wind :ohwell: .
    Now get off your butt and tomorrow, do what you need to do :drinker:
    Finally a diabetic with some sense in here. I told OP she was treating her diabetes wrong and I'm not diabetic, maybe she needs to hear it from someone who is, because apparently her doctor isn't doing a good job on informing her.
    Barbara you're a pretty girl with a husband and child and about 10lbs to lose the most. You seem to be tormenting yourself every day not with food, but with the ideas of food, and theoretical outcomes of purposed trainings and mystery macros you never seem to hit then wonder how long till results. I can only imagine what your husband has to deal with. You look good how you are, is it really worth the manic moments you're giving yourself?
    You never said anything about treating my diabetes wrong. I know how to treat me diabetes thank you. BUT sometimes I do it wrong as an excuse to eat sugary yummy things but then i feel bad about it. My thinking is way off when i get low bloodsugar. I like being normal blood sugar and make good decisions about food. Being LOW sucks and sometimes it's unavoidable. And I have been hitting macros very very close all week thank you. MFP isn't even set right for my macro goals (i know what the actually #s are though) Thank you for the "you are pretty and you look good" comments BUT I absolutely DO NOT look good naked okay. Lots of fat on belly, irregulars shaped belly, cellulite thighs (which btw didn't exist when i weighed 140lbs) Also some back hip fat (or very small love handles but hey they are STILL love handles and they DONT look good) Once I get to goal YES EVERY MANIC MOMENT WAS WORTH IT! I want this so bad and to finally enjoy the way I look again. CANT EFFING WAIT!!!! PATIENCE IS SOOOO HARD FOR THIS TYPE OF GOAL. AHHHH!!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I have a dietitian to gives the advice of targeting 30-60 grams of carbohydrates per meal every day. She said that low blood sugar creates a starvation response in your body. She said you need to keep from getting to that point in order to maintain blood sugar on an even keel. That will help you control your food intake and thus get to a normal body weight. Ive followed her advice and lost 62 pounds so far.

Yep, I aim for 115g carbs every day. MFP will only let me set it to 106 though. It will only let u enter certain percentages so I can't get MFP set to my exact macro #s But its 115carbs, 70fat, and 125protein.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes and on insulin.....
    You could carry a glucose meter and test strips with you, so that you measure your blood sugar, and eat more only if you need to. It's a good idea anyway, because people can miss the symptoms of low blood sugar.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    You could carry a glucose meter and test strips with you, so that you measure your blood sugar, and eat more only if you need to. It's a good idea anyway, because people can miss the symptoms of low blood sugar.
    Ya, i measure blood sugar before every meal and at bedtime. And I know when i feel low and I treat it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Ya, i measure blood sugar before every meal and at bedtime. And I know when i feel low and I treat it.

You could also measure it before you let yourself have a series of snacks, and stop when your blood sugar reaches the level that your doctor deems appropriate, since you said that you're frustrated because you sometimes use low blood sugar as an excuse to eat more than you need to. The numbers won't make excuses. On the other hand, if your weight is as healthy as it appears to be, so as long as your blood sugar is under control, there isn't any reason that you need to stop. Losing 10 pounds is totally optional.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    I concure
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    confused now, another vote for blogging :yawn:
    ...just in for the gifs.

make with the gifs PEEPS!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Being LOW sucks and sometimes it's unavoidable

Sometimes (being flawed humans) when we say something is "unavoidable" or "we didn't have a choice" what we really should be saying is "we didn't have a PLAN". Granted, I am not diabetic nor hypoglycemic so I can only speculate what living with that stuff is all about but it seems clear to me that the start of the slide in these episodes is a low-sugar crash. Treat it at the source, nip it in the bud, and as you pointed out you automatically make better food choices, are in a better mood, feel better about yourself, and understand that this process is not going to happen overnight. IMO you should make it your mission today and this week (and the next...) to not get caught with low blood sugar and I think the rest will just kind of fall into place for you.

Oh, and you don't have to be perfect to look good nekkid. Just sayin'.