Pavlok

Options
Has anybody preordered this? I'm intrigued. I have no self control with mindless snacking or binging. It seems interesting.

Though I have tried snapping rubber bands on my wrist every time I eat or think of food past the formation of bruises, and that hasn't helped, perhaps this won't either, lol.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Has anybody preordered this? I'm intrigued. I have no self control with mindless snacking or binging. It seems interesting.

Though I have tried snapping rubber bands on my wrist every time I eat or think of food past the formation of bruises, and that hasn't helped, perhaps this won't either, lol.

The snapping of rubber bands on your wrist is actually a really concerning behavior. It is actually a form of self injury, especially if you are doing it as "punishment". You should really seek some professional help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    While interesting, I'd have to think it's a crutch to a point. In other words, if you wear it, you get the shock. However if you don't, you and your brain will sense that and take advantage while it may not be on. Habitual behavior change should be a voluntary stimulus based on a conscious decision you've made, not because you're being shocked to adhering to that behavior, IMO. Or else you may have to wear it the rest of your life. Hence, it could be a crutch.
    Not saying it can't work, just my viewpoint on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You should do some reading into why Pavlov's research proved what it did. I don't think self-harming has anything to do with it.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The best way (in my opinion of course) is to log before eating. Even if you do end up mindlessly snacking, just log it first. That way you will give yourself half a second to pause and thing if it's really what you want. Eventually, you will think "Hmm I want chips but it's not worth the calories so nah"

Hurting yourself because you have eaten "bad food" sounds like a gateway to an eating disorder. Food isn't bad and you need to learn to eat in moderation without associating pain or demons to certain types of food or amounts of food.
  • SnackySnackPants
    SnackySnackPants Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

The snapping of rubber bands on your wrist is actually a really concerning behavior. It is actually a form of self injury, especially if you are doing it as "punishment". You should really seek some professional help.

Have been for 15ish years (food, mh, sh, etc.) The rubberbands are a harmless way to cope with some issues instead of sh, it just didn't catch with the food, lol.

I thought it seemed like an interesting concept and thought I'd see other opinions, but from a bad rap from the get go on here, I'd definitely take that into consideration. You guys and gals know what you're talking about :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Actually it is not "harmless". It is still self harm.

This coming from someone who suffered with self harm for years.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Have been for 15ish years (food, mh, sh, etc.) The rubberbands are a harmless way to cope with some issues instead of sh, it just didn't catch with the food, lol.

I thought it seemed like an interesting concept and thought I'd see other opinions, but from a bad rap from the get go on here, I'd definitely take that into consideration. You guys and gals know what you're talking about :)

Actually, punishing yourself for anything is unhealthy. This behavior is never never okay:
    I have tried snapping rubber bands on my wrist every time I eat or think of food past the formation of bruises

Have you looked into formal counseling for your issues around food?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people do or refrain from doing something because something buzzes their skin, but I know lots of people do more exercise because their fitbit buzzes them, so who knows? Maybe it will help.

Me, I stay in my calories and do my exercising because I want to do those things. If I didn't want to do them, no amount of skin taps, buzzes or baby shocks would make me. Furthermore, if I felt like overeating, I wouldn't tell the thing to zap me.

If you have the power to force yourself to be zapped, I think that surely you have the power to not overeat. Yes? No?

If you do it, I hope it works for you.
  • SnackySnackPants
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Actually, punishing yourself for anything is unhealthy. This behavior is never never okay:
    I have tried snapping rubber bands on my wrist every time I eat or think of food past the formation of bruises

15 years, as I said... nobody wore a tophat, but I assume it was more formal than a homeless guy on the bridge, lol.

• SLLRunner
    Options

15 years, as I said... nobody wore a tophat, but I assume it was more formal than a homeless guy on the bridge, lol.

When I was recovering from bulimia years ago, I went through one-on-one counseling and group therapy where the group of women were all recovering from bulimia. This is the type of scenario I mean: have you worked with a counselor who specializes in food and self-harm issues? Have you been in any group of people who suffer with food issues?

I don't understand what you mean by this:
    15 years, as I said... nobody wore a tophat, but I assume it was more formal than a homeless guy on the bridge,

• SnackySnackPants
    Options
    It was just a joke... tophats are formal... I'll be frank, I've had a couple beers and I thought it was humorous.

Yes, over half of my life I have seen therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in dysthmia, self harm, and bulimia. I've had limited group therapy, some, but most of it has been 1-1. In my late teens/early 20s, I learned the rubberband trick. A lot less harmful than cutting. It has helped me a lot. I didn't know it was a big issue. As I said, I was just curious about opinions on this tech bracelet that I saw. I didn't think it would be an issue and I didn't know I would have to justify my questions. I apologize, feel free to delete this question. I'll just log off now. I apologize for the topic.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    It was just a joke... tophats are formal... I'll be frank, I've had a couple beers and I thought it was humorous.

Oh. LOL!
    Yes, over half of my life I have seen therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in dysthmia, self harm, and bulimia. I've had limited group therapy, some, but most of it has been 1-1. In my late teens/early 20s, I learned the rubberband trick. A lot less harmful than cutting. It has helped me a lot. I didn't know it was a big issue. As I said, I was just curious about opinions on this tech bracelet that I saw. I didn't think it would be an issue and I didn't know I would have to justify my questions. I apologize, feel free to delete this question. I'll just log off now. I apologize for the topic.

Please...please, don't apologize. Conversation is important for clarification issues, and thanks for clarifying what you were trying to say. Good luck!
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Curious if anyone in this thread is getting the Pavlov connection (which had NOTHING to do with harm). This is a call/response mechanism approach to behavior therapy.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Venus_Red wrote: »
    Curious if anyone in this thread is getting the Pavlov connection (which had NOTHING to do with harm). This is a call/response mechanism approach to behavior therapy.

Curious as well: why would you think people don't get it? It's a pretty old concept.

The OP clearly said she caused bruising by snapping rubber bands on her wrists, which is harmful.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Please, Please stop with the elastic band thing :(
    Why should you punish yourself for being a human being and craving food? You can learn self control without practicing self punishment. Allow yourself a little of everything you enjoy in moderation - that is self control. Using an elastic band to slap against your wrist every time your craving is a slippery road to be going down. This is self harm for the sake of craving and it's worrying. Ditch the band, find your willpower of steel and be a little kinder to yourself. If you DO find yourself eating over your deficit, log it and move on
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Venus_Red wrote: »

Curious as well: why would you think people don't get it? It's a pretty old concept.

The OP clearly said she caused bruising by snapping rubber bands on her wrists, which is harmful.

Because call/response has nothing to do with harm. Someone decided to add in that bit but it could be any response, really.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Oooh I just googled it. How awesome!!! I'm thinking it'd be great for my nail biting. Depending on how expensive it is
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ps I tried to do the rubber band snappy thing when I quit smoking. It didn't really work well for me. Cold turkey a few years later worked better
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you mean Pavlov, then yes, behavioral conditioning is very effective. However, pairing a unpleasant stimulus with food probably isn't a good idea, because food isn't bad, and that's likely to lead to some seriously disorded thinking.
    Try pairing a pleasant stimulus with desirable behaviors. For instance, I used to buy myself an inexpensive pair of earrings for every 5 lbs I lost. I love earrings, so it made me want to do the desirable behavior, which was eat less.

ETA: I didn't realize that Pavlok was a thing, so I assumed it was a typo, esp with the rubber band thing. I'm finishing up a Bachelor's in Psychology right now, so perhaps it is a pardonable error. I stand by the rest of what I said, though.
  • the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "A person who has been punished is not less inclined to behave in a given way; at best, he learns how to avoid punishment."

B. F. Skinner