Protein fluff where have you been all my life?

Options
I tried protein fluff of the first time this weekend. I have to say I love it! It reminds me of when my mom would make meringues and I would get to lick the bowl. But now I can eat a very large bowl and not feel guilty about it.

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    hidding on this forum!
    i never even heard about it till i read about it here a bit back. although i cannot get it to come out fluffy, it still is a delicious soft ice cream like treat. i like to use 100% cocoa powder instead of protein powder sometimes too.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    hidding on this forum!
    i never even heard about it till i read about it here a bit back. although i cannot get it to come out fluffy, it still is a delicious soft ice cream like treat. i like to use 100% cocoa powder instead of protein powder sometimes too.

What kind of protein powder are you using? I used one scoop Trutein vanilla (it is a blended whey, casein, and egg protein) half a cup of 1% milk and 120 grams of frozen strawberries. I mixed it with my kitchen aid mixer came out really fluffy.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wonder if Quest protein would work...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

@Francl27 quest protein powder is perfect for this recipe :+1:

• vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    awesome stuff quiet a bit of gassiness after consuming a bowl though
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

@Francl27 quest protein powder is perfect for this recipe :+1:

Actually pretty sure casein powder works the best. I don't know how whey fluffs.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm eating mine at the moment. I made chocolate caramel cheese cake with whipped cream tonight! My best so far.
  • kwownow
    kwownow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't know what fluff is? Please post recipe. Thanks
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've used whey and it does fluff, not as well though.
  • arditarose
    Options
    kwownow wrote: »
    Don't know what fluff is? Please post recipe. Thanks

There are lots of variations of recipes. The basics are 20-30 grams of casein protein, 6-8oz of liquid (water, milk, almond milk, whatever), 4-6 grams of xanthan gum. You need to mix it with a hand mixer or stand mixer for 10-15 minutes. You can add whatever you want-fruit, flavorings, cereal, oreos..possibilities are endless.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried this with a vegan protein powder? (I use pea protein). There seem to be mixed reviews online. Right now I just mix my chocolate protein powder with a frozen banana and a splash of almond milk in the food processor for what I call my breakfast "Frostee" which I find filling enough for a meal, but the fluff recipes seem lower cal so I'd be interested to try it ....
  • arditarose
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried this with a vegan protein powder? (I use pea protein). There seem to be mixed reviews online. Right now I just mix my chocolate protein powder with a frozen banana and a splash of almond milk in the food processor for what I call my breakfast "Frostee" which I find filling enough for a meal, but the fluff recipes seem lower cal so I'd be interested to try it ....

I've heard it really should be casein. Some people have success with whey but it's probably half the volume. Not sure about the vegan powder but assume it's a similar situation.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I've heard it really should be casein. Some people have success with whey but it's probably half the volume. Not sure about the vegan powder but assume it's a similar situation.

I'll probably stick with my Frostees then, but continue to ogle your glorious fluff creations. You're a master ;)

• arditarose
    Options

I'll probably stick with my Frostees then, but continue to ogle your glorious fluff creations. You're a master ;)

The main reason it is so low calorie is because there's no "base"...it's just the protein and the xanthan. I follow a girl on instagram who makes a mousse I think is similar in calories. I'll check to see if it's vegan.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Commenting so I remember to come back and check for recipe ideas! I haven't tried this yet - need to order some goodies from Amazon. I do have collagen protein powder, but I am prepared to order the casein if that works better as well as the xantham gum...
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    FYI there is a difference in the way a mixer and a food processor "mix" the food so probably won't get same results.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    hidding on this forum!

What kind of protein powder are you using? I used one scoop Trutein vanilla (it is a blended whey, casein, and egg protein) half a cup of 1% milk and 120 grams of frozen strawberries. I mixed it with my kitchen aid mixer came out really fluffy.

i only use hemp protein powder. i used it with unsweeten vanilla almond milk and frozen fruits to make fluff but, from reading replies, i guess my hemp protein powder is probably why i never get any real fluffiness.. i like vanilla so going to amazon now to order the Trutein vanilla you use.

EDIT: they had trutein sample sizes on amazon so i got five different ones to try instead of buying 2lbs of the vanilla first. i was happy to see the vanilla is actually vanilla bean (my favorite vanilla) so i should like it if its not too chalky tasting. Can't wait to try a real 'fluffy' protein fluff now. thanks for sharing :)
  • Char231023
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    hidding on this forum!

i only use hemp protein powder. i used it with unsweeten vanilla almond milk and frozen fruits to make fluff but, from reading replies, i guess my hemp protein powder is probably why i never get any real fluffiness.. i like vanilla so going to amazon now to order the Trutein vanilla you use.

EDIT: they had trutein sample sizes on amazon so i got five different ones to try instead of buying 2lbs of the vanilla first. i was happy to see the vanilla is actually vanilla bean (my favorite vanilla) so i should like it if its not too chalky tasting. Can't wait to try a real 'fluffy' protein fluff now. thanks for sharing :)

It doesn't come out chalky at all. That's why I like Trutein it mixes well in water no clumps. You could use a a hand mixer if you have one.
  • Char231023
    Options
    I'm eating mine at the moment. I made chocolate caramel cheese cake with whipped cream tonight! My best so far.

I really want this recipe.