Protein fluff where have you been all my life?

Options

Replies

• mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    mikeski52 wrote: »
    I just got some xanthan gum, but misread the recipe I was using and put in 5g instead of 1/2 g.... it didn't end well. :/
    What recipe? I use 6 gram and it comes out well.

It was a small recipe from bodybuilding.com. 1 cup of frozen fruit, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 g xanthan gum. I think it also didn't help that I used BSN Syntha 6 instead of whey protein powder, which already contains a thickener (cellulose gum).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Never even heard of this. Sounds deliciously good.

Omg, me too! I've got xanthan gum on my shopping list. Gonna try this! Thanks tons for all the recipes!

Eta: for those using stand mixers, are you using the whip or beater attachments? "Fluff" says whip, but can't see it handling ice. And isn't it kinda large for one serving? I can see the good ole hand mixer handling the ice fine.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Omg, me too! I've got xanthan gum on my shopping list. Gonna try this! Thanks tons for all the recipes!

Eta: for those using stand mixers, are you using the whip or beater attachments? "Fluff" says whip, but can't see it handling ice. And isn't it kinda large for one serving? I can see the good ole hand mixer handling the ice fine.

I blended it in my vitamix and then used the whisk on my stand mixer.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just got some xanthan gum, but misread the recipe I was using and put in 5g instead of 1/2 g.... it didn't end well. :/
    What recipe? I use 6 gram and it comes out well.

It was a small recipe from bodybuilding.com. 1 cup of frozen fruit, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 g xanthan gum. I think it also didn't help that I used BSN Syntha 6 instead of whey protein powder, which already contains a thickener (cellulose gum).

Even for that recipe that is not even xanthan gum. I've seen those recipes on bb.com. People have perfected them since I believe. There is a good thread on there about everyone's recipes if you give it a search.
  • ahoy_m8
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks again, all. I tried this yesterday with whey (no casein handy) and was amazed at the volume. 20g whey + 6g xanthan filled my 5qt stand mixer bowl. I flavored it with 100% cocoa and sugar free vanilla syrup for a chocolate mousse effect. It tasted like.... air. I can see how frozen fruit would give it some body/substance. Searching bodybuilding.com and see the "3 quick easy recipes" blog post (FWIW, these recommend minimal or no xanthan) but not the thread. Link appreciated if anyone has it. My concoction needs work. Thanks again!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I blended it in my vitamix and then used the whisk on my stand mixer.

Thanks, was going to ask this.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    hidding on this forum!
    i never even heard about it till i read about it here a bit back. although i cannot get it to come out fluffy, it still is a delicious soft ice cream like treat. i like to use 100% cocoa powder instead of protein powder sometimes too.

What kind of protein powder are you using? I used one scoop Trutein vanilla (it is a blended whey, casein, and egg protein) half a cup of 1% milk and 120 grams of frozen strawberries. I mixed it with my kitchen aid mixer came out really fluffy.

i only use hemp protein powder. i used it with unsweeten vanilla almond milk and frozen fruits to make fluff but, from reading replies, i guess my hemp protein powder is probably why i never get any real fluffiness.. i like vanilla so going to amazon now to order the Trutein vanilla you use.

EDIT: they had trutein sample sizes on amazon so i got five different ones to try instead of buying 2lbs of the vanilla first. i was happy to see the vanilla is actually vanilla bean (my favorite vanilla) so i should like it if its not too chalky tasting. Can't wait to try a real 'fluffy' protein fluff now. thanks for sharing :)

What flavors did you get? I have had the red velvet (amazing) and the vanilla also very good. I really want to try the birthday cake and their seasonal flavor shamrock shake.

they didn't have the shamrock shake at all (i have a protein shake recipe of one saved on my computer upstairs if you want it) and they had no samples of the birthday cake.. i got the VB, chocolate mint, chocolate PB cup, red velvet cake and banana cream..

Yes I would love the recipe thank you. They also have a caramel mocha flavor that sounds good.

like most recipes i save, I have not tried this recipe yet so i don't know how good it is! just notice it uses your vanilla Trutein powder, guess i will buy the blah cottage cheese for it now or perhaps use a plain thick yogurt instead and swap the stevia with something else too.

Shamrock Shake by Jessica cook
    Serves 2

Minty, frosty shamrock protein shake
    Ingredients

1 oz Peppermint (Mint)
    1 serving (serving = 1/4 package) Jell-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Cheesecake Pudding Mix
    1 serving (serving = 1/2 cup) Breakstone's 2% Lowfat Small Curd Cottage Cheese
    1 serving (serving = 1 packet) Sugar in the Raw Stevia Extract in the Raw
    1 cup Baby Spinach
    1.5 serving (serving = 1 scoop) TruNutrition Sciences Trutein - Vanilla
    1 serving (serving = 1 cup) Silk Pure Almond Milk - Unsweetened Vanilla

Directions
    1 1/2 scoop vanilla trutein protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar free fat free cheesecake pudding mix, 1 stevia packet, 1 1/2 cups spinach, 6 mint leaves, 1-2 tsp peppermint extract, 6 ice cubes. Blend away and top with extra mint if you're feeling it!

NUTRITIONAL FACTS
    per 1 serving size
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories176Calories from Fat 31
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat3.455.31%
    Saturated Fat 1.175.85%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.35
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.76
    Cholesterol 30.0010.00%
    Sodium 484.0020.17%
    Potassium 194.00
    Total Carbohydrate 13.664.55%
    Dietary Fiber 3.8815.52%
    Sugars 3.57
    Protein 25.21
    Vitamin A 113.00%Vitamin C 31.00%
    Calcium 36.00%Iron 13.50%

That sounds like a LOT of peppermint extract. I suggest starting with 1/4 ounce and adding to taste.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was shown keto cheesecake fluff today. http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-desserts-cheesecake-fluff-edition/ It may have more fat than many would like, but it works well for low carbers.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hidding on this forum!
    i never even heard about it till i read about it here a bit back. although i cannot get it to come out fluffy, it still is a delicious soft ice cream like treat. i like to use 100% cocoa powder instead of protein powder sometimes too.

What kind of protein powder are you using? I used one scoop Trutein vanilla (it is a blended whey, casein, and egg protein) half a cup of 1% milk and 120 grams of frozen strawberries. I mixed it with my kitchen aid mixer came out really fluffy.

i only use hemp protein powder. i used it with unsweeten vanilla almond milk and frozen fruits to make fluff but, from reading replies, i guess my hemp protein powder is probably why i never get any real fluffiness.. i like vanilla so going to amazon now to order the Trutein vanilla you use.

EDIT: they had trutein sample sizes on amazon so i got five different ones to try instead of buying 2lbs of the vanilla first. i was happy to see the vanilla is actually vanilla bean (my favorite vanilla) so i should like it if its not too chalky tasting. Can't wait to try a real 'fluffy' protein fluff now. thanks for sharing :)

What flavors did you get? I have had the red velvet (amazing) and the vanilla also very good. I really want to try the birthday cake and their seasonal flavor shamrock shake.

they didn't have the shamrock shake at all (i have a protein shake recipe of one saved on my computer upstairs if you want it) and they had no samples of the birthday cake.. i got the VB, chocolate mint, chocolate PB cup, red velvet cake and banana cream..

Yes I would love the recipe thank you. They also have a caramel mocha flavor that sounds good.

like most recipes i save, I have not tried this recipe yet so i don't know how good it is! just notice it uses your vanilla Trutein powder, guess i will buy the blah cottage cheese for it now or perhaps use a plain thick yogurt instead and swap the stevia with something else too.

Shamrock Shake by Jessica cook
    Serves 2

Minty, frosty shamrock protein shake
    Ingredients

1 oz Peppermint (Mint)
    1 serving (serving = 1/4 package) Jell-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Cheesecake Pudding Mix
    1 serving (serving = 1/2 cup) Breakstone's 2% Lowfat Small Curd Cottage Cheese
    1 serving (serving = 1 packet) Sugar in the Raw Stevia Extract in the Raw
    1 cup Baby Spinach
    1.5 serving (serving = 1 scoop) TruNutrition Sciences Trutein - Vanilla
    1 serving (serving = 1 cup) Silk Pure Almond Milk - Unsweetened Vanilla

Directions
    1 1/2 scoop vanilla trutein protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar free fat free cheesecake pudding mix, 1 stevia packet, 1 1/2 cups spinach, 6 mint leaves, 1-2 tsp peppermint extract, 6 ice cubes. Blend away and top with extra mint if you're feeling it!

NUTRITIONAL FACTS
    per 1 serving size
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories176Calories from Fat 31
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat3.455.31%
    Saturated Fat 1.175.85%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.35
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.76
    Cholesterol 30.0010.00%
    Sodium 484.0020.17%
    Potassium 194.00
    Total Carbohydrate 13.664.55%
    Dietary Fiber 3.8815.52%
    Sugars 3.57
    Protein 25.21
    Vitamin A 113.00%Vitamin C 31.00%
    Calcium 36.00%Iron 13.50%

That sounds like a LOT of peppermint extract. I suggest starting with 1/4 ounce and adding to taste.

they conbined the extract and leaves in that ounce for some reason.

i ended up using 10 grams of dried mint i had on hand (1oz rehydrated)
    5oz greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese
    1/4 regular vanilla pudding mix (could not find cheesecake at our store)
    8oz baby spinach
    1cp unsweeten vanilla almonf milk
    6 drops of ezsweet sweetner (i have problem with stevia aftertaste)
    17g of trutein vanilla only (half scoop because of the stevia in it)

before i added the trutein, i thought it all tasted decent but, could use some mint extract for a more minty flavor (my extract went MIA)..
    I did not care for recipe after i added the trutein vanilla, it overwhelmed the other flavors to me, leaving a fake like overall flavor with that stevia aftertaste i do not care for so i could only drink 1/4 of mix before tummy decided that was enough!

i made this in my ninja regular blender, it comes out thick and pulpy.
    i took half of finished recipe and stuck it in a nutra ninja cup to rid of most of pulp and get a smoother shake.

overall, since i liked the taste before the trutein was added, i will remake this recipe using a protein powder that is more natural & sugar free and definitely will add a tsp of peppermint extract to it next time..

• ahoy_m8
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was shown keto cheesecake fluff today. http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-desserts-cheesecake-fluff-edition/ It may have more fat than many would like, but it works well for low carbers.

wow. Thanks for posting that.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Dumb question for the fluff newbie: what would happen if you were to put this in an ice cream maker after fluffing? Has anyone tried it?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried this with a vegan protein powder? (I use pea protein). There seem to be mixed reviews online. Right now I just mix my chocolate protein powder with a frozen banana and a splash of almond milk in the food processor for what I call my breakfast "Frostee" which I find filling enough for a meal, but the fluff recipes seem lower cal so I'd be interested to try it ....

Chocolate pea protein powder didn't really fluff, but it made a nice whipped pudding texture. I started in the food processor to mix the bananas, and it was clearly not fluffing. I dragged out the MixMaster in the name of science, and this did add volume, but it's not really worth it to me.

I added 1/8 t xanthum gum.
    0lax8u47wdvp.jpg

This concoction was too artificial tasting for me, but I'm getting some whey protein tomorrow and will try the 140g frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 cup milk, and 1/8tsp xanthan gum recipe next.
  • kshama2001
    Options

The heck with that, what about http://screwedonstraight.net/deliciously-keto-peanut-butter-pie-smores-edition/ !!!!!

Turtle_Om_Nom_Nom.jpg
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've made this several times now since the thread was made. Thank you! I can't wait to try and make a batch tomorrow with some Trutein samples I got.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The heck with that, what about http://screwedonstraight.net/deliciously-keto-peanut-butter-pie-smores-edition/ !!!!!

Turtle_Om_Nom_Nom.jpg

Oohhhh. Yummy. That needs to go on my holiday baking list!!!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've also tried it with a fresh banana and almond milk. I'm not sure if the frozen fruit, or the whole milk made it more substantial, but while the second was good, it wasn't as solid as my first try.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Has anybody tried mixing in a little SF/FF instant pudding mix into their fluff as it mixed?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Tub of Onken vanilla, 200g summer fruits, 50g vanilla whey, some milk, xanthan gum

zqgyx82qjb0r.jpg
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How much milk are people using in this, using an actual measurement? Have just not managed to get mine to "fluff"

Last lot was 100ml of skimmed milk, 1 frozen banana, 45g of protein powder. 50ml just looks like nothing?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I tried making fluff about a week ago with strawberry whey and xanthum gum... I think I must have used to much of the xanthum gum because I ended up with a block of something that kind of resembled a brain? I used almond milk, so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

Anyone else end up with protein-jelly-brain?