Protein fluff where have you been all my life?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried mixing in a little SF/FF instant pudding mix into their fluff as it mixed?

Yeah, it's good.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    How much milk are people using in this, using an actual measurement? Have just not managed to get mine to "fluff"

Last lot was 100ml of skimmed milk, 1 frozen banana, 45g of protein powder. 50ml just looks like nothing?

I've used a half cup of cashew/almond milk on several occasions. Regular milk is supposed to work a little better because of the casiene already present in it which may allow for less xanthan gum needed. You can try a mixture of 1/2C Almond/Cashew with a 1/4C plain milk or go with at least a 1/2C of plain milk on its own. Also, I wouldn't try using more than a 1/2 tsp of gum with cashew/almond milk. Too much xanthan gum can cause some serious cramping and digestive prblems in the intestines.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How much milk are people using in this, using an actual measurement? Have just not managed to get mine to "fluff"

Last lot was 100ml of skimmed milk, 1 frozen banana, 45g of protein powder. 50ml just looks like nothing?

I've used a half cup of cashew/almond milk on several occasions. Regular milk is supposed to work a little better because of the casiene already present in it which may allow for less xanthan gum needed. You can try a mixture of 1/2C Almond/Cashew with a 1/4C plain milk or go with at least a 1/2C of plain milk on its own. Also, I wouldn't try using more than a 1/2 tsp of gum with cashew/almond milk. Too much xanthan gum can cause some serious cramping and digestive prblems in the intestines.

So a cup is 236ml, I have tried the fluff with 200ml and 100ml, but I haven't used xanthan gum. Is the gum required for this to work? Each time it has just got like a very light milkshake, as no point has it actually got to a state which I would need a spoon to eat.

I use the following protein powder

myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/recovery-xs/10529568.html
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

So a cup is 236ml, I have tried the fluff with 200ml and 100ml, but I haven't used xanthan gum. Is the gum required for this to work? Each time it has just got like a very light milkshake, as no point has it actually got to a state which I would need a spoon to eat.

I use the following protein powder

myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/recovery-xs/10529568.html

Some protein powders already add xanthan gum to make a thicker shake. It doesn't look like yours has it in it so yeah it won't fluff up without it. Are you using a hand to stand mixer?
  • Thowe92
    Options
    Yeah, since you're using whey protein xanthan gum is pretty much mandatory. The reason why it thickens up is because of the caseine thats found in milk. Caseine proteins can make a better fluff with smaller amounts of gum or no gum. I use whey protein as well since caseine is too costly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Whoa, I just made a batch with 140g frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla ON casein, 1 cup milk, and 1/8tsp xanthan gum. That stuff is awesome. But way too filling. I just threw what I couldn't eat into half pint jars in the freezer. I figure the xanthan gum will stabilize it.

I halved this recipe. It fluffed really well. Let's see how much I can eat/how filling air is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

What are you using to mix it? The first time I blended it in the cuisinart than transferred it to the mixmaster for proper mixing. This time I reduced the cleanup by blending it with a stick blender, then fluffing it in the mixer.

I am using xanthum gum.
  • Thowe92
    Options
    Whoa, I just made a batch with 140g frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla ON casein, 1 cup milk, and 1/8tsp xanthan gum. That stuff is awesome. But way too filling. I just threw what I couldn't eat into half pint jars in the freezer. I figure the xanthan gum will stabilize it.

How did it turn out after you froze it? I've read that it just deflates after a while. I haven't tried it myself yet.
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of protein powder and never heard of this - sounds great! Gotta get some gum!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

How did it turn out after you froze it? I've read that it just deflates after a while. I haven't tried it myself yet.

It didn't deflate until it was thawed.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I blitz the whole thing in a food processor to start with and then use an electronic hand mixer afterwards. I'm going to get my hands on some gum and add that.
    I will get fluff!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    Commenting so I remember to come back and check for recipe ideas! I haven't tried this yet - need to order some goodies from Amazon. I do have collagen protein powder, but I am prepared to order the casein if that works better as well as the xantham gum...

This.
  • Thowe92
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using whey protein. If you do just use a small amount of xanthan gum and vary how much depending on whether or nut you use almond/cashew/non-dairy milk or plain milk. I tried my first 2 fluffs with frozen/slightly microwaved blueberries and frozen bananas and they came out quite well. In fact I think I will try and make some with greek yogurt tomorrow and see how that goes.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    Dumb question for the fluff newbie: what would happen if you were to put this in an ice cream maker after fluffing? Has anyone tried it?

I am wondering this, too.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options

nvmomketo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was shown keto cheesecake fluff today. http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-desserts-cheesecake-fluff-edition/ It may have more fat than many would like, but it works well for low carbers.

The heck with that, what about http://screwedonstraight.net/deliciously-keto-peanut-butter-pie-smores-edition/ !!!!!

Turtle_Om_Nom_Nom.jpg

Oohhhh. Yummy. That needs to go on my holiday baking list!!!

You're gonna bake a turtle??? :'(
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Dumb question for the fluff newbie: what would happen if you were to put this in an ice cream maker after fluffing? Has anyone tried it?

I haven't tried that yet but I want to.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

Someone answered already. It defluffs.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »

Someone answered already. It defluffs.

Freezing vs. freezing in ice cream maker. We're wondering about the latter.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I don't have any casein powder on hand, but tomorrow I'm going to try it with Almond milk, Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter, Bob's Mill Xanthan Gum, Sugar Free Cheesecake Mix, & some Walden Farm's Caramel. I might add some of the Chocolate Caramel too.

If this works then the next time I make it I might try Great Value Cream soda as the liquid.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I made it with whey protein powder:

One scoop Cytosport whey protein powder
    1-1/4 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/4+ cup unsweetened almond milk

It took about 5 seconds to prepare using a Vitamix. It was like soft serve ice cream with the calories and protein of lite Greek yogurt.