Should I feel guilty ?

Options
Hi Everyone . My name is Jasmine . I recently began my weightloss journey . It's been 5 days since I've started & I'm just beginning to log my food . I had a half of a half of a white bagel today, which came up to 75 cal when I logged it this morning . I feel guilty for it tho . Should I ?

Replies

• jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side, at least it was half of a half! But white bread isn't good for you, it's processed. Maybe you could do a half of a wheat bagel! Throw some good low fat cream cheese and BAM! I would def NOT feel guilty over that!
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone . My name is Jasmine . I recently began my weightloss journey . It's been 5 days since I've started & I'm just beginning to log my food . I had a half of a half of a white bagel today, which came up to 75 cal when I logged it this morning . I feel guilty for it tho . Should I ?

Absolutely not. It's food, it's energy, as long as you don't have an issue with gluten, you are good to go. If it's something you really like and it fits within your day, your schedule and is cove isn't for you, fit it within your day and have the rest of it!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't feel guilty in the slightest.

What you eat or how much is no reflection on your character or worth as a person.

Keep going. You'll be fine.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    How is a white bagel processed but a wheat bagel is not? Just curious.

Just make sure you stay at your total calories that MFP gives you for the day and you'll be fine. We need to eat. Don't feel guilty about eating food.
  • JasFrancis95
    JasFrancis95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks . @jendiaz9732 I should of went for a wheat . Maybe next time . I wasnt really thinking .
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have a bagel almost every day - except I eat the entire thing at 230 calories :)
    You can eat whatever you like as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Hell no you should not feel guilty.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side, at least it was half of a half! But white bread isn't good for you, it's processed. Maybe you could do a half of a wheat bagel! Throw some good low fat cream cheese and BAM! I would def NOT feel guilty over that!

That's BS. There's nothing about white bread that is less good for you than wheat bread.

OP. It seems like you are assigning terms like "good" and "bad" to foods. I have done this myself, and personally it lead to bad things for me. I would feel guilty, and constantly feel like a failure when I eat foods that I enjoyed. Once I realized that there is no reason to exclude foods if I could eat them in moderation (which with only 75 calories for what you ate, it seems like you are doing). I've lost the guilt, and I've lost over 90lbs (around 50 since joining MFP).

Stop using food to make judgments about your self worth. Stop feeling guilty about foods you enjoy. Aim to eat mostly nutrient dense foods but work in smaller treats of the foods you enjoy to help keep yourself sane.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no. What about it makes you feel guilty? The white bread? The calories? If it is either of these then you are being too hard on yourself. First, while some people (even some doctors) will tell you that white bread is bad it is not going to stop you from losing weight on its own. Moderation and balance are more important. If you ate bagels all day and never anything else you might have issues but a bagel (even a whole one) for breakfast is fine. If it is the calories that also is not a reason to feel bad. Depending on your goals a breakfast of around 300 calories (assuming you are eating 3 meals and some snacks) would be fine. While what you eat can affect your health, how you feel, and sometimes how quickly you lose weight you don't need to eliminate anything unless you have a health reason like gluten intolerance or diabetes. Start by focusing on staying in your calorie range. Then as your progress tailor your food to better fuel your body.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Please, spare us all.

@JasFrancis95 please don't fall for that crap trap. Eat what fits in your day. If you have 50 lbs to lose, I'm sure you could fit a whole bagel into your day if you wanted it and remain in a deficit. Don't feel guilty for 75 calories though. Actually, don't feel guilty over eating, period. It's not healthy.
  • jendiaz9732
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Perhaps I may have slightly, worded it wrong my sweet, sweet loves. But Whole grain IS better for your than white processed flour... I don't care what anyone says. It's all going to go to your hips, thighs and butt! http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wellness/truth-about-bagels And your're welcome sweetie @JasFrancis95
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You should not feel guilty: it's just food.

One of the most important things you can do when you're setting out to lose weight is rehab your relationship with food. Don't look at it as bad food and good food. It's fuel for your body, and it's (ideally) tasty. If you enjoyed your bagel and it fits into your calories for the day, there's absolutely no reason to feel bad.

Furthermore, feeling bad about food really does set you up for failure. If the bagel doesn't fit into your calories, it happens. I had beer and chips and too many biscuits with dinner yesterday. I ate at maintenance, and today is new, so I have no reason to feel bad about that. In the past, feeling bad about one day would have prevented me from tackling the next with the right mood.

Learn what foods work for you and which don't. But don't let yourself feel guilty about missteps. You're human.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Please, spare us all.

@JasFrancis95 please don't fall for that crap trap. Eat what fits in your day. If you have 50 lbs to lose, I'm sure you could fit a whole bagel into your day if you wanted it and remain in a deficit. Don't feel guilty for 75 calories though. Actually, don't feel guilty over eating, period. It's not healthy.

+1
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    Perhaps I may have slightly, worded it wrong my sweet, sweet loves. But Whole grain IS better for your than white processed flour... I don't care what anyone says. It's all going to go to your hips, thighs and butt! http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wellness/truth-about-bagels And your're welcome sweetie @JasFrancis95

No. It's not. It's carbohydrate, it may be less nutrient dense but it will not go straight to your hips if you are still in an energy deficit. Show me a study that processed flour is stored as fat regardless of overall energy intake?
  • gramarye
    Options

I realize you've already declared that you don't care what people say, but I'm about 100% that's not how food works. Bagels don't arbitrarily add fat to a certain body part. The only way you're gaining fat in your hips/thighs/butt unless you're eating at a surplus (due to bagels, I guess?) and your genetics tend that way.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Doctors call it the "white menace..." s7ckuxmx4qxd.jpg
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    Doctors call it the "white menace..." s7ckuxmx4qxd.jpg

Means nothing. I wouldn't trust a doctor with nutrition advice. Still no peer reviewed study's to back up your claim.
  • jendiaz9732
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't have to prove anything to you. It's my personal preference. At the end of the day she can do her own research. @OP google whole vs. refined. Or better yet go to library and research it under the scholarly articles. :-*
  • gramarye
    Options
    I don't have to prove anything to you. It's my personal preference. At the end of the day she can do her own research. @OP google whole vs. refined. Or better yet go to library and research it under the scholarly articles. :-*

That's fine -- you can have whatever preferences you like. I don't much care for asparagus. But because you don't care for something doesn't mean you ought to tell another person unsubstantiated claims about how white flour will affect their body. The good news if that we don't have prove anything to you either. But for the sake of the OP, who is just starting out, it's worth commenting from both sides.

OP: when looking at articles, on Google and in real life, check the sources and check the date. A lot of nutrition claims and stuff we believe is based on outdated and an incorrect understanding of the body and food. And while certain foods may be better for your nutrition than others, in terms of weight loss it's just about the calories.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breathe and slowly repeat after me.

"Bread is not the devil. Bread is not the devil. Bread is not the devil. Potatoes are not the devil. Corn is not the devil. "
    Unless you have a medical condition there is no need to arbitrarily demonize an entire food group.

I assure you one white bagel isn't what got you here. What got all of us here (for those of us looking to lose weight) is consistently over eating all foods.

*steps off soapbox.* Thank You. I'll be here all day.