Should I feel guilty ?

Options
2»

Replies

• jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was talking to the kind gentleman prior to me. But thanks for your input. That makes sense. And she is starting out and should hear both sides. I am merely relaying the information I have acquired however that may have been. No worries here. Good luck and congrats on your decision to a healthy lifestyle OP!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't have to prove anything to you. It's my personal preference. At the end of the day she can do her own research. @OP google whole vs. refined. Or better yet go to library and research it under the scholarly articles. :-*

With claims like that, I would say it IS your responsibility to prove your claims instead of posting Fox News magazine articles. If you have something scientifically studied, peer reviewed, and proven to be fact, then please post it. If it is your personal preference, then that's ALL it is and should not be stated as fact.

If you're scared of white bread, that's your problem. It is not OP's problem.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No, you should not feel guilty.
    Log it and stay within your calorie limit.
    Eat less calories than you burn. That is how you lose weight. CICO.
  • JasFrancis95
    JasFrancis95 Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well thank you EVERYONE for the advice and support . I'm just glad that there is a place I can get multiple suggestions from . Right now it is hard to make the right decisions but I am sure that it will get easier as I move foward. I'll just take it day by day . Thanks !

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, the only reason food should make you feel guilty is if you stole it.
    As long as you stick to your calorie goal you will lose weight, no matter what you eat.
    If you have decided a food is not healthy for you, feel free to limit it, but there is no reason to deprive yourself of anything entirely. Eating something once will not kill you, or immediately cause you to gain weight.

Get a food scale, log consistently and accurately, and enjoy your food!
  • kellyfirmager
    kellyfirmager Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I managed to avoid the free bagels and doughnuts this morning... now i feel guilty for wasting the food and NOT eating! ha
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    We don't need to make weight loss harder than it already is by cutting out whole food groups.

Be aware of your calorie goal. Try to eat foods that will fill you up and keep you under that goal. If you eat a huge salad and get super full but have the room for a cookie, eat the cookie.

The hardest part about losing weight with the calories in, calories out method is the freedom of choice. Sure, I can eat whatever I like. But if I make too many high calorie, low satiety picks I'll be hungry. Learning to balance hunger and treats can be tough.
  • coachRichie
    coachRichie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not feel guilty and besides you only ate half so that is a lot of us would not have the willpower to do.. I would have ate the whole thing.
    Anyway having your carbs early in the day is not bad at all because you are active most of the day.
    If you can switch over to whole wheat or better yet get breads made from sprouted when then you are better off.

Keep tracking your daily food intake and make sure you are exercising at least 30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week and you will start to see a lot of good changes.

Coach Richie
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not feel guilty and besides you only ate half so that is a lot of us would not have the willpower to do.. I would have ate the whole thing.
    Anyway having your carbs early in the day is not bad at all because you are active most of the day.
    If you can switch over to whole wheat or better yet get breads made from sprouted when then you are better off.

Keep tracking your daily food intake and make sure you are exercising at least 30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week and you will start to see a lot of good changes.

Coach Richie

What about for somebody who works night shift? Why switch to wheat? What is wrong with white bread? Just curious. Thanks!
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks . @jendiaz9732 I should of went for a wheat . Maybe next time . I wasnt really thinking .

why would you feel guilty? One of the things that one need not do is to assign a moral value to food... there are no good foods or bad foods.... just foods.
    Some have higher calories, some have less... just make it work with your deficit and you will be okay.

• cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breathe and slowly repeat after me.

"Bread is not the devil. Bread is not the devil. Bread is not the devil. Potatoes are not the devil. Corn is not the devil. "
    Unless you have a medical condition there is no need to arbitrarily demonize an entire food group.

I assure you one white bagel isn't what got you here. What got all of us here (for those of us looking to lose weight) is consistently over eating all foods.

*steps off soapbox.* Thank You. I'll be here all day.

yep.... this.... all of this

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Coach Richie

What are your qualifications as a coach? Based on this post, it seems you lack qualifications as a dietitian since all of your intake is psueduoscience at best.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, half a bagel or even a whole bagel is not a problem. I like mine toasted with peanut butter
    Just make whatever you eat fit in your daily intake
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I may have slightly, worded it wrong my sweet, sweet loves. But Whole grain IS better for your than white processed flour... I don't care what anyone says. It's all going to go to your hips, thighs and butt! http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wellness/truth-about-bagels And your're welcome sweetie @JasFrancis95

OP pls ignore this post.