DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    The NASM and NSCA have a training system that is customized to the individual based on their previous training experience, goals / needs, and current fitness ability; that could be where he's coming from as well.

Nasm doesn't say anything about prepping joints and tendons in the OPT model. Because prepping your joints and tendons is bro science. Stabilization and balance is what it recommends. That's only for those that have no athletic background and pretty much lived sedentary lives.

Because everyone in the world who wants to lift is an athletic 20 year old, right.

no, because it's just not something that's required for the low volume, low impact, low velocity, low weight lifting, low technical difficulty lifts that comprise the SL program. spending a bunch of time prepping your joints for pushing your arms away from you body or standing up just isn't a real thing.
    The NASM and NSCA have a training system that is customized to the individual based on their previous training experience, goals / needs, and current fitness ability; that could be where he's coming from as well.

Nasm doesn't say anything about prepping joints and tendons in the OPT model. Because prepping your joints and tendons is bro science. Stabilization and balance is what it recommends. That's only for those that have no athletic background and pretty much lived sedentary lives.

Because everyone in the world who wants to lift is an athletic 20 year old, right.

Lol What? Most people can handle the SL program with a little guidance on form is what I'm saying........ ........?...???

I bet most of them probably would be fine. All I'm saying is that there are more and more sedentary people who don't have an athletic background and want to become more active these days (and lift etc). It's not a marginal population. Using young athletes as the universal reference point might not work in all instances.

I don't think I'm using young athletes as a reference point? I'm saying that when it comes to the overwhelming majority of the population, weeks or months of special preparation are not needed before attempting to get under the bar

Ugh, it's not always *about* you, DavPul, I made the little point I wanted to make to the person I thought should hear it and let's just be done with it.

Fair enough, but it isn't about you either. Or that dude. Or even the OP, because she's got the information she needs and I'm trusting that she'll do the right thing.

It's about the thousands of new people reading this thread, wondering if there are ready to start a program like SL or if they have to "get in shape" first, or spends thousands of dollars on a trainer just to do SL 5x5. Taking the thread on tangents to prove points doesn't help those people. Because the overwhelming majority of the population doesn't require special joint, muscle, or stabilization preparation to begin SL 5x5.*

*reiterated to make sure the people that need this message get this message
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    The other day I met with the owner of my (weight lifting) gym and he seemed pretty against me continuing SL 5x5 bc I'm a newb to lifting (I did SL for 3 months then have taken a couple months off). He wants to put me on a 3 day program 2x a week incorporating free weights, body weight & machines to help my muscles and tendons prepare for heavy lifting. I'm torn, he has some good points but I really loved SL and was doing just fine w it. Advice? I'm meeting with him soon so he can at least critique my lifting form - which I need.
    He doesn't want you to do SL because he doesn't make extra money when you're self-sufficient.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

no, because it's just not something that's required for the low volume, low impact, low velocity, low weight lifting, low technical difficulty lifts that comprise the SL program. spending a bunch of time prepping your joints for pushing your arms away from you body or standing up just isn't a real thing.

Lol What? Most people can handle the SL program with a little guidance on form is what I'm saying........ ........?...???

I bet most of them probably would be fine. All I'm saying is that there are more and more sedentary people who don't have an athletic background and want to become more active these days (and lift etc). It's not a marginal population. Using young athletes as the universal reference point might not work in all instances.

Are you associating NASM's training methods and young athletes? If so, that would be a poor correlation. Yes, the OPT model can be used to train athletes, but it is also easily adaptable to individuals that are de-conditioned / previously sedentary, returning from injury and released from PT, even the elderly. Performance training is just one aspect of NASM's method.

Not at all, my only point was to the person who said that it's "only" sedentary non-athletes who would benefit from stabilization and balance, as if that wasn't a huge population of people and more than likely the bulk of his future client load.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Are you associating NASM's training methods and young athletes? If so, that would be a poor correlation. Yes, the OPT model can be used to train athletes, but it is also easily adaptable to individuals that are de-conditioned / previously sedentary, returning from injury and released from PT, even the elderly. Performance training is just one aspect of NASM's method.

Not at all, my only point was to the person who said that it's "only" sedentary non-athletes who would benefit from stabilization and balance, as if that wasn't a huge population of people and more than likely the bulk of his future client load.

Can we keep this thread on topic and not derail the OP with side arguments?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Can we keep this thread on topic and not derail the OP with side arguments?

Unfortunately I think the side arguments when inaccurate info is provided and people try to correct that person to not sway the OP into the wrong direction and it unfortunately divulges into a *kitten*-storm. Hence the ways of MFP, what's one to do...
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    latest?cb=20140927224455
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Met with the trainer today and he gave me some really helpful feedback on my form. He still doesn't think I should continue with SL without first doing his program but I just told him that's what I'm doing for now. I do appreciate the comments here that helped me stick to my guns... and hopefully I'll grow some ;)
  • tortillasandbologna
    Options
    Back to the OT...I would like to try the 5x5 program (I just finished an hour or so of online reading). Those of you who follow this method who need to lose weight...do you add cardio after the 3 5x5's? Do you only strength train the 3 days a week, and do cardio 7 days a week? Beginners help, please :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Back to the OT...I would like to try the 5x5 program (I just finished an hour or so of online reading). Those of you who follow this method who need to lose weight...do you add cardio after the 3 5x5's? Do you only strength train the 3 days a week, and do cardio 7 days a week? Beginners help, please :)

If you're going to follow SL5x5, then follow it to the "T" which means onlys strength training the 3 days a week. Do as much cardio as you can recover from. It's not a bad idea to give yourself a day or two to do nothing except maybe stretch or do some Yoga; remember that weight-loss comes largely from your nutrition.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm newer to SL 5x5 and don't do any cardio but I'm trying to recomp and not drop anymore weight. I suggest you look at http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ if you haven't already. He's got a lot of info on there.
  • tortillasandbologna
    Options
    If you're going to follow SL5x5, then follow it to the "T" which means onlys strength training the 3 days a week. Do as much cardio as you can recover from. It's not a bad idea to give yourself a day or two to do nothing except maybe stretch or do some Yoga; remember that weight-loss comes largely from your nutrition.
    [/quote]

THANK YOU :)

• tortillasandbologna
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I'm newer to SL 5x5 and don't do any cardio but I'm trying to recomp and not drop anymore weight. I suggest you look at http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ if you haven't already. He's got a lot of info on there.

Yep, this is the website I have been reading today. Thank you :smile:

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What? That's dumb. Do SL 5x5 please. It is awesome.

I skipped it as a beginner and wish I had not. I'm trying it out now and would recommend it to any beginner.