Protein Bars

Options
13»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link for SimplyProteinBars--I've never heard of them before! I looked at their ingredient list and they just might be OK for a diabetic like me--I'll have to try them out sometime. The major ingredients (i.e. chicory root) are similar to the Diabetic Kitchen bars I presently use since those have a minimal effect on my blood sugars (unlike the Quest protein bars) but I like the different flavors available for the SimplyProteinBars and that they aren't as "sweet tasting" and won't melt in hot weather (great for summer hikes) & the dry, cardboardy texture should help keep me from eating too many of them at one sitting.

To me the flavours varied from "okay" to "inedible". The apples and cinnamon whey ones and the peanut butter chocolate regular ones were the best ones, IMHO. The chocolate caramel and cinnamon pecan were okay too. IMHO the cocoa raspberry ones were just gross.

They advertise them as being low-GI and safe for diabetics. But do your own research; I'm not big on trusting advertisements.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Thanks for the link for SimplyProteinBars--I've never heard of them before! I looked at their ingredient list and they just might be OK for a diabetic like me--I'll have to try them out sometime. The major ingredients (i.e. chicory root) are similar to the Diabetic Kitchen bars I presently use since those have a minimal effect on my blood sugars (unlike the Quest protein bars) but I like the different flavors available for the SimplyProteinBars and that they aren't as "sweet tasting" and won't melt in hot weather (great for summer hikes) & the dry, cardboardy texture should help keep me from eating too many of them at one sitting.

To me the flavours varied from "okay" to "inedible". The apples and cinnamon whey ones and the peanut butter chocolate regular ones were the best ones, IMHO. The chocolate caramel and cinnamon pecan were okay too. IMHO the cocoa raspberry ones were just gross.

They advertise them as being low-GI and safe for diabetics. But do your own research; I'm not big on trusting advertisements.

I will check them out sometime and try a few (i.e. test with my glucometer). The peanut butter chocolate, chocolate caramel and cinnamon pecan sound like flavors I'd select but the "fruit" type flavors I wouldn't since I typically don't care for "fruit" flavors in a protein bar.

Thanks for the flavor recommendations!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    These are easy to make with little ingredients and you can adjust the sugar substitute or not use any. I usually add 1/8c but have made them without too. The added sugar is from the banana. I don't generally add the walnuts.
    http://www.busybuthealthy.com/banana_nut_protein_bars/