Planet Fitness

I'm currently just walking and doing a little jogging, but I'm interested in expanding into some upper body work outs.

Does anyone has Planet Fitness? Do you like it? What kind of machines do then have?

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    I like Planet Fitness memes.
  • KatD1226
    KatD1226 Posts: 12 Member
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I like Planet Fitness memes.

Helpful ;)
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    People give PF a bad rep, but it's actually got a lot of the same machines as any other gym, and it's nice cause it's so cheap.
    I was there for a while, but left to go to a gym that offers classes as well.

Just stay away from the pizza and tootsie rolls, mmkay?
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    PeiDub wrote: »
    People give PF a bad rep, but it's actually got a lot of the same machines as any other gym, and it's nice cause it's so cheap.
    I was there for a while, but left to go to a gym that offers classes as well.

Just stay away from the pizza and tootsie rolls, mmkay?

To be fair it gets a bad rap for insulting people who lift heavy with lunk alerts and their "I pick things up and put them down commercials". That being said, depending on what you do, PF can be really good.
  • Lawngirl296
    Lawngirl296 Posts: 46 Member
    I have been at PF for about 4 years, it is perfect for what you re looking to do, and the price is right.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    I go to Planet Fitness and I like it. Mine has your typical machines for cardio and strength training. It also has free weights and some crossfit equipment. What is does not have is squat racks and bench presses. Instead, it has several smith machines. It all depends on what you are looking for. If nothing else, it's a good place to start out and it's cheap.
  • myhealthjourneynow
    myhealthjourneynow Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2015
    I have a PF membership, I love it. They have many different machine, same as any gym. Its $10 a month and they have average everyday people go there not just jar heads, and builders who scream and slam their weights down, making it very intimidating for others. They have average everyday people who go there to get in some exercise. In my PF everyone is really friendly. They have different things you can do, a 30 minute circuit, and depending on what package you choose they have an option for trainers, and someone to help you use the machine. People pretty much mind their business and you're able to do a work out without being self conscious. Check it out, i think they might even let you experience it for a day to see if you like it or not.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    I've lost all my fat and built all my muscle at planet fitness. It works for me. No one has kicked me outta the gym yet.

I've visited 3 PF's in my city, what I've found is that equipment varies wildly by location. My home gym is huge (it used to be a large chain grocer) it has everything I need. I have yet to out grow any of the equipment therein.

Another PF near my home but not as close as my home gym was smaller and didn't have all the equipment I need.

The PF that just opened near my office is woefully lacking in free weights. All of the weight machines...all of them only go up to 100 lbs o_0 I can curl 95 lbs on the preacher curl and do way more that 100 lbs on isolation work with legs. This PF would not suit me at all.

So Its up to you. If you find a PF that suits your needs awesome! I hope you do.
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    I liked PF because I enjoy all the cardio machines. However, since joining a real gym (with boxing ring, boxing bags, circuit training classes, weight training classes, etc...) I will never go back. I do pay $50 a month but I am seeing results so much faster and the classes are never the same. As the gym owner pointed out, with PF you are paying to rent the machines, with a true gym, you are paying for personal trainers who push you. I thought it was a sales line but he is soooo right.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    If you're new to gyms/exercise in general, and are simply looking to lose weight and tone up, then pf has everything you will need. I go there and get all my cardio and all the weight training I need (the serious weight lifters won't) with a very small price tag.

If all the crap posts about alarms, pizza and tootsie rolls start up on your thread, just disregard them. The gym will suit your needs perfectly.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I recently went into my first PF and I was pleasantly surprised. For what you want I feel it would be right for you.
  • KatD1226
    KatD1226 Posts: 12 Member
    That's basically what I need...some starter level cardio. I'm walking now almost exclusively. I want to do some upper body work.

Gotta work on these bingo flappers ;)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    I belong to PF. The price is right. There may be a point where I'm interested in doing classes and if that happens then I'll have to find somewhere else. Right now it fits into my very hectic life. Maybe once my kids are older and can stay home alone I'll have more flexibility for a different type of gym.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    PF gets a lot of hate in the fitness community for it's double standards ("judgment free zone"; free pizza night), sub-optimal equipment, and ridiculous color scheme (OK it doesn't get much hate for that, but it should!)

It probably isn't going to be useful in meeting many people's fitness goals, but if it helps with your personal goals, there's no reason to avoid it.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Its promoted as the wimpiest gym in the world but the business model seems to work for their CEO. Personally I can't imagine not being able to drop my weights or throw them in Crossfit Class every week.
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    MaddyT122 wrote: »
    I go to Planet Fitness and I like it. Mine has your typical machines for cardio and strength training. It also has free weights and some crossfit equipment. What is does not have is squat racks and bench presses. Instead, it has several smith machines. It all depends on what you are looking for. If nothing else, it's a good place to start out and it's cheap.

My PF has squat racks and bench presses as well. I think it depends on where you go since I've gone to others that have different machines than the one I'm at now. Overall I love planet fitness. I move around a lot and my membership is good everywhere (black card) and who doesn't love a massage chair or hydro massuage bed after??

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    PF is great. $10 a month and has lots of machines and duplicates of the same machines. Also has free weights and tons of aerobic machines. Dedicated area to circuit training.

Way better than my old gym where half the floor space was taken up with Crossfit stuff and cost more too boot.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    At my local planet fitness, there are some basic classes offered. These "classes" are only for 5 people at a time, but I am not sure for how fast they fill up as I have never participated in one. I think these classes are meant to show people how to properly use equipment and not to be taken every week. Seems like a good place to start to learn about the equipment and what exercises you could do to get rid of "bingo flappers."
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Actually, PF does not have squat racks. They have what are called Smith Machines (similar to squat racks but different). See this image of a Smith machine:

l.jpg

A squat rack looks like this:

cybex%20squat%20rack%20with%20fixed%20stops_cybex_squat_rack_with_fixed_stops_2000x2000.jpg

In any case. yeah, if you grunt or make noise or drop your weights, or let go of the machine you are using so the thing makes a lot of noise, or anything that overly draws attention to yourself, you get this "lunk alarm". Supposedly they didn't allow tank tops in either. There are signs all over the place to tell you what not to do, but then you also see all these "Judgement Free Zone" signs which is an oxymoron in my opinion. They don't want intimidation, but if you are a serious body builder, it can be intimidating.

Also, there is a limit on their dumbells. I think they go up to like 60 pounds. And they don't have very versitile free weight barbells. There is a weight limit on the ones they offer (straight barbell and curling bars) which are pre-set. So if someone is using the 35 pound curling bar, then you have to wait your turn. You can't just grab a random curling bar and add weight to it.

With all that aside, if the OP is new to the gym thing, this may be perfect for her.

My wife has a Black Memberbership and I sometimes go in with her as her guest. It's not too bad I guess. It's cheap. The hours is something to watch for. They are not 24/7. So if you want to get a lift in at 8 PM on a Saturday, the doors may be locked. Check for that. There are $15/month 24/7 gyms that exist and don't have that "lunk alarm" mistique.

My suggestion: Go in, and check it out. See if they let you use the gym 1 day for free. Visit other gyms in the area and ask for a free pass. Then make a decision after visiting all the gyms you can visit off of a free pass.
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    I was a PF member, it was cheap and 2 minutes away from my job. But I wasn't focused there, found a trainer and signed up for the gym he trains at. It's a lot smaller but it gets the job done. I hate how my PF has the sheet pizzas out. Can you imagine 100 sweaty people waiting to get pizza...that alone would turn me away, but the tootsie rolls got me every time!!! I'm thinking of signing back up or applying there for a free membership lol