No wifi in gym, is there a way of getting around it?

Options
LastingChanges
LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Theres no wifi in my gym is there any way I can still stream or watch shows on my ipad. Looking for legal solution but assuming there isnt any. Dont really want to pay for each show but have hulu subscription and amazon prime (which i think streams shows too not sure have to check).

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Try using your cellphone as a hotspot.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sorry im not very tech smart. Cell hotspot would require me to use up my phone data ? If that is correct then 2 shows would eat up all my data. I have 2 gb in my plan. Unless I am misunderstanding something ? So bored on treadmill lol.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Or is a hotspot an add on to a plan?
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I believe a hotspot uses up your data. It does on my phone, anyways. Can you just listen to music? Or switch gyms? My gym has TVs on all the cardio machines.

Or... up your plan? I can stream quite a bit on my 10gb plan with Netflix.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Its my buildings gym. Which phone service are you with, 10gb seems pricey.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    pre record shows... watch at gym
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    pre record shows... watch at gym

How do you prerecord in order to watch on ipad ?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    There are ways to download shows (legally) to your computer. From there, you can transfer them to your tablet. Since they are in the memory, they won't need wi-fi.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think that you can download shows with amazon prime now? But yeah my gym is the same, and my phone can't even connect to the network there, so music it is.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Capture Card in PC.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    There are ways to download shows (legally) to your computer. From there, you can transfer them to your tablet. Since they are in the memory, they won't need wi-fi.

What are those ways? I don't want to pay for each show/series individually.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think that you can download shows with amazon prime now? But yeah my gym is the same, and my phone can't even connect to the network there, so music it is.
    I think you are right about that going to look into it.
    Capture Card in PC.
    From a brief google search this looks complicated lol. Does it work for macs?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yep. This is what I have to do as I can't connect to my gym's wifi.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

any idea how many bytes a 30 min show takes?
  • frontjab
    frontjab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    With an iPad and Amazon Prime, you can download a lot of shows and movies. See the first topic in the Amazon help section about getting the Amazon Video app on your iPad, then the topic further down on downloading content.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_mob_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201422750
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but why would you need wifi in the gym? Honest question from someone who has been a member of various gyms for the last 23 years.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but why would you need wifi in the gym? Honest question from someone who has been a member of various gyms for the last 23 years.

I was wondering this as well - are you going to the gym to watch movies or work out?? If you are working out with any seriousness/intensity, you wouldn't be able to (or want to) watch a movie at the same time?
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    increase your speed and incline on the treadmill, until you are actually working out enough that you don't have time to watch a TV show.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I can manage to listen to music on the treadmill but id never be able to watch something. . way to much concentration needed. tried to watch supernatural once. . got oogling and almost fell off. :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

any idea how many bytes a 30 min show takes?

Have we really gotten to the point where we can't be without some form of media for 30 minutes while exercising? Use the time to clear your mind, go to your happy place, plan the days activities, plan the weekend, listen to the music (voices ;-) in your head. Develope an exercise mantra, meditate listen to your body while working out...

We were not this dependent on out side forces "back in the day".

PUT THE IPOD DOWN FOR A HALF HOUR.