No wifi in gym, is there a way of getting around it?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just read you wanted legal videos, my bad.

I'd recommend listening to podcasts instead. You can download many of these directly from their websites.

And I download videos for when I run and do bodyweight exercises. I don't actually watch any of these, but listening to them is just as nice for me. If I can play shows in the background while washing the dishes, I can play something in the background while working out.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Ok I am done with this thread, why repeat the same question if you can refer to my above explanations on why I am asking about it. So ridiculous I asked on help with something specific not for judgments on what my brain should be focused on while I am on a treadmill. We are all different, what works for you doesn't mean it works for the next person. Seems like on MFP everyone thinks their way is the best and only way. There have been many similar posts and even discussions on here on WHICH shows they should watch while exercising. It is not a foreign idea to watch tv while exercising some treadmills even come with a tv screen attached.

"No wifi in gym, is there a way of getting around it?"

Sorry, the answer to the question posed at the top of this thread is:
    Use you cell phone minutes.

Why would you use your cell phone minutes? You mean talk on the phone? o:)

Your data plan. If you can't access Wifi, and can't live without streaming something, I don't see an alternative. Use you plan minutes and get your fix that way. You really didn't understand what I meant?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    How about ditching the treadmill and running outside? I find that mentally stimulating enough that I don't feel the need to wear headphones.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ok I am done with this thread, why repeat the same question if you can refer to my above explanations on why I am asking about it. So ridiculous I asked on help with something specific not for judgments on what my brain should be focused on while I am on a treadmill. We are all different, what works for you doesn't mean it works for the next person. Seems like on MFP everyone thinks their way is the best and only way. There have been many similar posts and even discussions on here on WHICH shows they should watch while exercising. It is not a foreign idea to watch tv while exercising some treadmills even come with a tv screen attached.

Sorry, the answer to the question posed at the top of this thread is:
    Use you cell phone minutes.

Why would you use your cell phone minutes? You mean talk on the phone? o:)

Your data plan. If you can't access Wifi, and can't live without streaming something, I don't see an alternative. Use you plan minutes and get your fix that way. You really didn't understand what I meant?

I asked to clarify, since "minutes" and "data" are two entirely different things.
  • pondee629
    Options
    "I asked to clarify, since "minutes" and "data" are two entirely different things. "

Not with my plan. One bill, one payment for everything. Talk, text, data. Thought that's how it was now. My bad.

If you can't get Wifi at your gym, you either:
    Use your data/minutes/plan to stream what you want;
    Down load what you want to have it played back;
    Go without, (the jist of alot of comments above);
    Find a gym that supplies Wifi; or,
    Get your gym to supply Wifi.

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "I asked to clarify, since "minutes" and "data" are two entirely different things. "

Not with my plan. One bill, one payment for everything. Talk, text, data. Thought that's how it was now. My bad.

It is all under one plan but your plan terms are divided into data(internet), minutes(phone use), text.

There are things like hulu, netfix, prime which allow streaming but not all allow the download of these videos.. Hence the question.

Question was not please judge me for wanting to watch tv while running or walking on a treadmill.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I haven't belonged to a commercial gym since before WiFi was everywhere. I'd assume most gyms now have it. Out of curiosity, am I correct?
  • pondee629
    Options
    Spend the money for your own plan, move to a gym that provides Wifi (or get yours to provide it), or do without. There's no "getting around" the no Wifi in your gym.

Have a good day
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I haven't belonged to a commercial gym since before WiFi was everywhere. I'd assume most gyms now have it. Out of curiosity, am I correct?

I mentioned in my previous posts that it is a gym inside my building complex. Most gyms should have wifi though but I dont really have choice of switching gyms.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

It is all under one plan but your plan terms are divided into data(internet), minutes(phone use), text.

There are things like hulu, netfix, prime which allow streaming but not all allow the download of these videos.. Hence the question.

Question was not please judge me for wanting to watch tv while running or walking on a treadmill.

like i said
    amazon and the apple store both have downloadable content
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you download your videos to your iPad you don't need a connection to watch them. That's what I do with my music on my iPod. I don't stream it.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Audio Books. Lots of free alternatives, but for me the best app is Bookmobile. The best $5 I have spent on an app.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    rbakedq wrote: »
    Audio Books. Lots of free alternatives, but for me the best app is Bookmobile. The best $5 I have spent on an app.

This is what I do. I use the audible app, but yes, audiobooks.
  • rbakedq
    Options
    I suspended my Audible account, as I have been enjoying all of the old classics I should have read in high school. LibriVox is one source for many books that have come off of copyright. The great thing about Bookmobile is you can customise the Rewind and Fast forward buttons. So that if you are using headphones you can click the rewind button and skip back say 30 seconds as opposed to going to the beginning of the chapter that happens with all of the other apps I tried. As I said I have not used the Audible app in a long time, so I am not sure how that one works.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Thank you, I havent tried listening to books while exercising yet, going to try.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I suspended my Audible account, as I have been enjoying all of the old classics I should have read in high school. LibriVox is one source for many books that have come off of copyright. The great thing about Bookmobile is you can customise the Rewind and Fast forward buttons. So that if you are using headphones you can click the rewind button and skip back say 30 seconds as opposed to going to the beginning of the chapter that happens with all of the other apps I tried. As I said I have not used the Audible app in a long time, so I am not sure how that one works.

The standard Ipod function in Iphones/pads also has the 30 sec rewind function for audiobooks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    pre record shows... watch at gym
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    While you're at home or on wi-fi download a book on audible.

They have an app for andriod/iphone/etc.

Some books are hours and hours long. Once downloaded you can listen at any time. Might also make it easier to listen to and get in the mood while working out. :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you have a PC at home, the program PlayOn will record shows for you & then you can sync to your iPad.

I typically listen to audiobooks or podcasts if I'm doing an easier workout. For more intense stuff, I have a few playlists that keep my energy up.

~Lyssa
  • rbakedq
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

The standard Ipod function in Iphones/pads also has the 30 sec rewind function for audiobooks.

Ah yes, it does, but it's much easier to get free audiobooks on Bookmobile.