No wifi in gym, is there a way of getting around it?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, I listen to music and read a book while on the elliptical.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Try using your cellphone as a hotspot.

Yep. This is what I have to do as I can't connect to my gym's wifi.

any idea how many bytes a 30 min show takes?

Have we really gotten to the point where we can't be without some form of media for 30 minutes while exercising? Use the time to clear your mind, go to your happy place, plan the days activities, plan the weekend, listen to the music (voices ;-) in your head. Develope an exercise mantra, meditate listen to your body while working out...

We were not this dependent on out side forces "back in the day".

PUT THE IPOD DOWN FOR A HALF HOUR.

This 100%.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Amazon Prime has an option where you can download the show to your iPad and watch it without using data, though you need to either turn your data off or make sure you're watching from your offline library. Same with music.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Unless you have a huge data allowance, don't do this.
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Amazon Prime has an option where you can download the show to your iPad and watch it without using data, though you need to either turn your data off or make sure you're watching from your offline library. Same with music.
    This is a great thing, if you order much from amazon, having amazon prime just makes sense (free 2 day shipping). Prime comes with movies and tv, and now includes downloading options.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can download to ipads from Amazon or the Apple store. this won't use your data if you do it at home-where you have wifi. then take it to the gym and watch it from it's memory-like any other stored file.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Staring at a blank wall for an hour is extremely boring to do every single day. I am not the first or last to want TV while exercising which is why most gyms outside of buildings have TVs which I am sure you noticed in your 23 years of various gyms.
    Besides I am busy during day and dont get to watch shows I want to watch so would be nice if I can do it while at gym.

Thanks to the others for the suggestions, I already have prime so going to look into downloading.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options

Have we really gotten to the point where we can't be without some form of media for 30 minutes while exercising? Use the time to clear your mind, go to your happy place, plan the days activities, plan the weekend, listen to the music (voices ;-) in your head. Develope an exercise mantra, meditate listen to your body while working out...

Do you really meditate while exercising.. Seems like an odd place to meditate. The purpose of meditation is to relax.

I dont think we need to look at how things were back in the day because the purpose of stuff we have today is to help with convenience. I like to multi task, I am not watching my ipad all day so it would be nice to pick it up for that 1 hour that I have.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Staring at a blank wall for an hour is extremely boring to do every single day. I am not the first or last to want TV while exercising which is why most gyms outside of buildings have TVs which I am sure you noticed in your 23 years of various gyms.
    Besides I am busy during day and dont get to watch shows I want to watch so would be nice if I can do it while at gym.

Thanks to the others for the suggestions, I already have prime so going to look into downloading.

I am trying to think of an exercise that requires one hour staring at a wall, and I cannot. Sorry, but I just cannot think of anything one would ever go to the gym for and spend one hour staring at a wall. Unless it is something requiring concentration, like yoga for spiritual purposes, but I am pretty sure that a tv show would defy the purpose of staring at nothing in this case?
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I am trying to think of an exercise that requires one hour staring at a wall, and I cannot. Sorry, but I just cannot think of anything one would ever go to the gym for and spend one hour staring at a wall. Unless it is something requiring concentration, like yoga for spiritual purposes, but I am pretty sure that a tv show would defy the purpose of staring at nothing in this case?

A treadmill? Or an elliptical? All machines that are stationary and face a wall could apply to this thinking exercise.
  • mbaker566
    Options

Do you really meditate while exercising.. Seems like an odd place to meditate. The purpose of meditation is to relax.

I dont think we need to look at how things were back in the day because the purpose of stuff we have today is to help with convenience. I like to multi task, I am not watching my ipad all day so it would be nice to pick it up for that 1 hour that I have.

to be fair. i do meditate sometimes when i run. it's not all ooohmmmm-I do that too
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

to be fair. i do meditate sometimes when i run. it's not all ooohmmmm-I do that too

Plus, some meditate by focusing on something, not merely relaxing. I frequently feel relaxed as a byproduct of going to the gym because, while in there, my mind wasn't bouncing around between issues of the day or other dramas. When I exercise, I focus on what I'm doing (which is part of why I don't like going to crowded gyms).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but why would you need wifi in the gym? Honest question from someone who has been a member of various gyms for the last 23 years.

I was wondering this as well - are you going to the gym to watch movies or work out?? If you are working out with any seriousness/intensity, you wouldn't be able to (or want to) watch a movie at the same time?

This.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Meditate? Absolutely: Several mantras
    First half mile: I hate this, I hate this...
    Second half mile: Getting better, getting better...
    Middle 3 miles: Doing great, Doing great...
    Last half mile: I think I can, I think I can...
    All done to the candence of my current pace.
    Randon thoughts sometimes interrupt the chants to wit; Watch out for that car, dog, cat, small child, stroller, walkers ... If we did such and such to the so and so account, that would be good. Why is the sea boiling and do pigs have wings? I am the walrus. Songs are often runnnig rampant through my mind.

Do we really need an i pod, pad, phone mp3 to entertain ourselves? Have we become devise junkies? I thought one of the hallmarks of runnig at the right pace was the ability to maintain a conversation. Aren't we talking to each other any more?

I'm getting depressed. Ciao.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but why would you need wifi in the gym? Honest question from someone who has been a member of various gyms for the last 23 years.

I was wondering this as well - are you going to the gym to watch movies or work out?? If you are working out with any seriousness/intensity, you wouldn't be able to (or want to) watch a movie at the same time?

This.

Refer to above explanation. Also the treadmill is my 2nd workout of the day so I do not need it to be so intense and serious.
    csuhar wrote: »

Plus, some meditate by focusing on something, not merely relaxing. I frequently feel relaxed as a byproduct of going to the gym because, while in there, my mind wasn't bouncing around between issues of the day or other dramas. When I exercise, I focus on what I'm doing (which is part of why I don't like going to crowded gyms).

I know what you mean, I feel more relaxed and my mind is clearer after exercising but I always assumed it was the byproduct of the endorphins, hormones, etc released during exercising. I can see how some may think this is similar to meditation, but if I am meditating I prefer to do it in a relaxed state. Plus watching something makes time go by very quick and when you are on a treadmill every single day it makes it something you wont dread or skip here and there.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Why... do you need it?
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Ok I am done with this thread, why repeat the same question if you can refer to my above explanations on why I am asking about it. So ridiculous I asked on help with something specific not for judgments on what my brain should be focused on while I am on a treadmill. We are all different, what works for you doesn't mean it works for the next person. Seems like on MFP everyone thinks their way is the best and only way. There have been many similar posts and even discussions on here on WHICH shows they should watch while exercising. It is not a foreign idea to watch tv while exercising some treadmills even come with a tv screen attached.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Ok I am done with this thread, why repeat the same question if you can refer to my above explanations on why I am asking about it. So ridiculous I asked on help with something specific not for judgments on what my brain should be focused on while I am on a treadmill. We are all different, what works for you doesn't mean it works for the next person. Seems like on MFP everyone thinks their way is the best and only way. There have been many similar posts and even discussions on here on WHICH shows they should watch while exercising. It is not a foreign idea to watch tv while exercising some treadmills even come with a tv screen attached.

"No wifi in gym, is there a way of getting around it?"

Sorry, the answer to the question posed at the top of this thread is:
    Use you cell phone minutes.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    What I would do is neither music or Video
    Currently I have a lot of Records and tapes of Old Time radio shows that I need to capture into digital format and that is my plan for when I walk. I don't do Gyms, I am currently walking 2.75 miles each early morning, Up from nothing in the spring. I have two options to capture I have a Video capture device for the computer I can capture the audio with and I have a USB turntable that hooks into the computer to capture records with. Then Into a portable media player and done.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger

P.S. I figure I would have enough problems not getting distracted listening to old radio shows like "The Shadow", "The Fat Man", Yes there was such a show :)
    The Fat Man, a popular radio show during the 1940s and early 1950s was a detective drama based on characters by Dashiell Hammett. It starred J. Scott Smart in the title role, as a detective who started out anonymous but rapidly acquired the name 'Brad Runyon'.

Broadcast from the studios of WJZ in Newark, New Jersey, the series premiered on the ABC Radio Network on Monday, January 21, 1946, at 8:30pm

Comedies such as Fibber McGee & Molly, Jack Benny and Fred Allen.
  • mbaker566
    Options

Meditate? Absolutely: Several mantras
    First half mile: I hate this, I hate this...
    Second half mile: Getting better, getting better...
    Middle 3 miles: Doing great, Doing great...
    Last half mile: I think I can, I think I can...
    All done to the candence of my current pace.
    Randon thoughts sometimes interrupt the chants to wit; Watch out for that car, dog, cat, small child, stroller, walkers ... If we did such and such to the so and so account, that would be good. Why is the sea boiling and do pigs have wings? I am the walrus. Songs are often runnnig rampant through my mind.

Do we really need an i pod, pad, phone mp3 to entertain ourselves? Have we become devise junkies? I thought one of the hallmarks of runnig at the right pace was the ability to maintain a conversation. Aren't we talking to each other any more?

I'm getting depressed. Ciao.

i use it to keep my pace. and to shut up my brain. it's something to focus on rather than on my brain telling me i can't. short runs i don't need anything, but long runs i totally need some assistance. at least for the time being
    I don't like talking to people. my voicemail says text me, not leave me message.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

"No wifi in gym, is there a way of getting around it?"

Sorry, the answer to the question posed at the top of this thread is:
    Use you cell phone minutes.

Why would you use your cell phone minutes? You mean talk on the phone? o:)