How can we give more effective advice on the forums?

Options

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Format things better. People want bolded items, lists, appropriate paragraph breaks; anything that will make something more easily visually digestible.

Editing is also extremely important. Write something, then go back and remove as many superfluous words as possible.

Keep in mind that many people access these forums on their phones. Different paragraph length rules apply to mobile text. What looks normal on a computer screen is an endless wall of text on a phone.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

- I really wish there were some required probationary period. 95% (99%?) of questions that are asked here are ones that have been asked multiple times before. I lurked for a long time before I posted and learned a lot that way. Plus my feelings never got hurt.

I love the feature that my cell phone company has. When you go to the help section, you type in your question, and it automatically gives you a list of posts that it thinks are similar. If you still don't find your answer then you can select to make a new post. It could help lead people to answers that have already been written. That would be helpful to me, but I know some people wouldn't like it... They should also implement a "Helpful" or "Like" button...

Dianne, I lurk a lot, and try to not give advise or comment unless I don't see someone else that already said what I think needs saying. There are about 5 people (you being one of them) that I love reading advise from. Every time I see it I re-read your list because it is an important reminder that I am not infallible and I should always consider that I am not doing everything right before I start thinking the universe (and the scale) are out to get me. I really hope you don't leave forums...

Don't worry. I'm far too bored at work for me to leave anytime soon! But I do need to take some of the advice being given here and stop letting things get to me.
  • changetimenow
    changetimenow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think that providing the bulleted information and any visuals is great. Remember that there are more lurkers than there are active posters, so even if the OP does not want to hear the information you are giving, someone else reading may find it very helpful!

In regards, to multiple people asking an OP the same question, it may not be such a bad thing. With so much gimmicky info out there in regards to weight loss, people starting out can be really confused. I've read it multiple times, where people answer yes to the question of whether they are weighing their food. It is only after being repeatedly asked if they use a food scale, and ultimately opening their food diaries, then they admit they are not weighing their food, but trusting food packages or measuring cups...weighing is a form of measuring, but measuring does not equal weighing...
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    all that I said is with the understanding that people are sensitive. I am not one of them, I have been on the internet for far too long to be getting my feelings hurt by anything I see in print. And it will always vary from poster to poster. I have two kids, one I could yell at all day and he would maybe notice I'm there, the other lives in fear of making anyone unhappy and a cross word can shake her foundation. Not knowing which of these I am dealing with I tend to be more gentle than necessary even on the internet. that doesn't mean my method is right just that it is my method :smiley:

Some sort of an introduction when a person signs up directing them to the forums, and on how to search for questions that have already been ask might help with lots of the suggestions. Is that something they could change with the site itself?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread! I spend too much time here myself, and occasionally get into side conversations that don't really help the OP. If I find that happening, though, I try to remember Randall Munroe's xkcd comic:

duty_calls.png
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    It has to be a little intimidating to new posters how all of us jump in sometimes.

I almost wish there was a 'try this' flow chart possible. "Try recording every calorie you eat for a few days or a week first to see exactly what you're eating." was great advice that I saw on my first day here years ago (before my first vanishing act) and it helped me to realize how I got to the weight I was. I'd put that as number one on my ideal flow chart of weight loss beginnings. It beats the heck out of, "Nope, your metabolism isn't slow, total stranger on the internet whose blood-work I haven't seen nor am I qualified to interpret, you're just eating way too much." It was true in my case, I was just eating way too much, but reading that wouldn't have been nearly as helpful as seeing the calorie numbers add up day after day for myself.

Second, I think food scales are great advice, especially for those with less to lose or those who cook from scratch and don't have packaging labels with a calorie count to go by (plus those can be wrong).

Third, warn people about exercise water weight before they freak out over a five pound gain out of nowhere when they've been exercising and eating so good all week.

I think it's a good idea to tell people to find what works best for them for sustainable, sanity-preserving, healthy weight loss and that this might require some trial and error and learning as much as possible about how what we put in our bodies and what we do with the calories we take in affects everything, not just the number on the scale, but our mood, energy, satiety, and ability to achieve our long-term goals. And how we should all learn about nutrition and fitness from many sources until we find what works best for us. If it isn't likely to kill someone, let them try it, some of us learn more from failure than from advice anyway. We're just pigheaded that way.

At the same time, people like me who practice a relatively restrictive way of eating need to remember and point out that it might not be necessary or even ideal for everyone, no matter how much we ourselves love and swear by it. And us low carb people also need to remind new posters asking about going low carb to tell a doctor if they're Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic in case their meds need adjusting as they go along.

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see if we can brainstorm some ways to get advice across more effectively.

- good idea
    - shorter text
    - stay on topic
    - avoid duplicate advice
    - encourage the OP

Osric
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You're looking for an answer that doesn't exist.

Some will respond to kindness, some to statistics, others to direct and frank communication. It's unrealistic to believe that just because my response makes perfect sense to me, it will move a wide spectrum of others.

In other words, there's a reason threads continue to pop up in different iterations. It's a natural part of a community.

• diannethegeek
    Options
    WellingTX wrote: »
    You're looking for an answer that doesn't exist.

Some will respond to kindness, some to statistics, others to direct and frank communication. It's unrealistic to believe that just because my response makes perfect sense to me, it will move a wide spectrum of others.

In other words, there's a reason threads continue to pop up in different iterations. It's a natural part of a community.

I agree that people respond to different things and there will always be someone upset when they get advice they don't like or didn't expect. But I don't agree that we should stop trying to better our advice because of it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Stickies - Yes! When I was starting out, the stickies were (and still are) a great help. Also people recommending the stickies was helpful. I'm also grateful to the people who campaigned for 2 of my threads to be included in the new list, and whoever is responsible for having stickies in the first place.

Lists - I'll have to try that. I do have a couple of things bookmarked that I copy and paste, but I should start putting things into one page.

Visuals - Yes! Barely a day goes by that I don't post lemonlionheart's flowchart. Also the use of memes is big with me.

When I started, I used the search function a lot, and I've been reading the forums like mad ever since. (6 months.)
    Some people just aren't like that. They use up all their curiosity by posting a question topic, then never return to read any of the replies. Some people don't really want to learn.

But I agree we should still try to stick to the topic and give kind and well-thought-out replies for the people who ARE reading.

Thanks for starting this thread, dianne. You rock.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The other one thing that I find unhelpful is when someone projects their own individual medical diagnosis on every single OP. Not every woman has PCOS, not every person who is overweight is insulin resistant, and not everyone needs to limit carbs, gluten, etc.

We do see a LOT of that. Also recommendations of yoga as the cure for everything. No, it's not helpful.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    In addition to posters practicing some introspection, it would be nice if MFP instituted a posting probationary period for new members. Being forced to lurk for 3 months would solve a lot of these communication issues.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    In addition to posters practicing some introspection, it would be nice if MFP instituted a posting probationary period for new members. Being forced to lurk for 3 months would solve a lot these communication issues.

We need a "like" button for this!! <3
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The old saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." seems appropriate.

People won't hear what they are not ready to hear. The problem is not in the delivery or availability of the information. Many people simply are not ready to really face their eating issues head on. Doing so means accepting and acknowledging things that can be painful, embarrassing and very difficult. Until a person is really ready and willing to do those things despite the discomfort, they are not going to "hear" any advice no matter how good or how well written.

You help those who are truly ready to be helped.

Its funny. Last march I was at lunch with a friend trying to decide between two meals. And I said I really love that dish but I know it isn't healthy at all. My friend said to me, "Do you want my advice about how you should eat?" I immediately said no. But I did pick the healthier option. Later I realised that when I answered him was really saying, "I am not ready to face the truth about my food choices just now." It really made me realise how even though I had been complaining about my weight for years, I had been totally unwilling to do what I knew deep down I needed to do to lose weight. No amount of good advice was going to change that. I am fortunate to have friends who recognised that and did not try to force the advice on me anyway I would have just resisted it. At the same time they never encouraged or validated my excuses either. It was only a couple of weeks after that that I made up my mind to get serious.

I had to face and accept that my weight was all my own fault. Not a health problem, not a metabolism problem, not something that needed just the right magic pill, drink or surgery and not genetics. I had to accept responsibility for my own choices and recognise the consequences of making the wrong ones for too many years. That was not easy to do.

MFP is a wonderful tool and resource for those who are ready to use it properly. When they are they will look for the information and find it. They won't even need to post threads asking all of the really common questions because the answers are already there by the hundreds for those who have the mindset to absorb the knowledge.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    This is a good thread! I spend too much time here myself, and occasionally get into side conversations that don't really help the OP. If I find that happening, though, I try to remember Randall Munroe's xkcd comic:

duty_calls.png

Need a "like" button for this... and a "+1" !!! :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    This needs a bump.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think there should be some tighter policies on what is appropriate to talk about. It is a bit insane to me that a thread about oreo's is constantly on the front page. I get it, everything in moderation. But, seriously?

Everyone wants to push "their" diet. I have seen people constantly argue back and forth being critical of the other's lifestyle choice. Mods need to step in and say cool it. We can all present our lifestyles in a meaningful way without putting someone else down. My lifestyle choices work for me and I am happy to share why, but that doesn't mean I think everyone should follow it. I see it day in and day out and it really turns me off to reading the main forums. In fact, a lot of low carber's don't want to use the main forums anymore for the sheer attitudes they get. Everyone has to give their 2 cents on why they do or don't like what someone else is following. Sometimes that is totally appropriate, but often times you just see people mouthing off because they can.

Good forums work because there are rules and mods who are involved and care. Stickies are a start. Setting the tone that people need to be respectful is another step. Otherwise people are going to continue to go to private groups and we all miss out on a more active main forum.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think there should be some tighter policies on what is appropriate to talk about. It is a bit insane to me that a thread about oreo's is constantly on the front page. I get it, everything in moderation. But, seriously?

Everyone wants to push "their" diet. I have seen people constantly argue back and forth being critical of the other's lifestyle choice. Mods need to step in and say cool it. We can all present our lifestyles in a meaningful way without putting someone else down. My lifestyle choices work for me and I am happy to share why, but that doesn't mean I think everyone should follow it. I see it day in and day out and it really turns me off to reading the main forums. In fact, a lot of low carber's don't want to use the main forums anymore for the sheer attitudes they get. Everyone has to give their 2 cents on why they do or don't like what someone else is following. Sometimes that is totally appropriate, but often times you just see people mouthing off because they can.

Good forums work because there are rules and mods who are involved and care. Stickies are a start. Setting the tone that people need to be respectful is another step. Otherwise people are going to continue to go to private groups and we all miss out on a more active main forum.

What If I don't like to see all the keto or low carb threads on the front page ? Should the mods remove them or police them because I don't like them ?
    What could the mods do to really stop people from talking about Oreo cookies ? How would that be a violation of the guidelines by discussing Oreo cookies or keto or low carb ? Do you see my point here ?
    Just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean that others feel the same way . if someone doesn't like a thread, they do not have to participate in it . its as simple as that.

On any calorie counting or diet forum, you will often see people talking about food. That includes cookies. If that's really such a problem then the internet might not be the right place for those people. Go onto bodybuilding. Com or spark people and you will also see people discussing food items, again that includes cookies. If someone doesn't want to talk about the food items , they can easily not partake in the conversation. Its really that simple.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

It would be great if we could keep the focus on what we regular users can do, since commenting on mod policy is a sure way to see a thread shut down.