what do skinny people eat?!?

Options

Replies

• Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would like to know. Honestly I just know I need to change or I will never get this weight off. Not to mention I'm teaching all 3 of my daughters bad eating habits. I hate myself this weight and have been stuck around this weight for 2 1/2 years. My husband and I have horrible eating patterns fast food, pizza frozen or take out, lasagna, tacos and baked chicken nuggets and fries are basically our staples. I guess the surprise isn't that I now weight 280 lbs on my 5'4 frame. I'm drowning and I know if I don't change I will die, I've been dying on their inside. Please giver ideas of healthy eating.

Cut out the fried food, eat less, and move more and you WILL see a difference.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to cook and make actual meals for your family, as opposed to frozen or take out meals. It isn't that difficult, it just takes time and planning. Chances are that you will even save money in the long run, cooking fresh meals is much less expensive then eating out all the time.
  • mickey2168
    mickey2168 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am not a skinny person - so I can't tell you what to eat. But I know to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. it can be overwelming to get on a site like this - many ideas and opinions. I would agree with those who say to start small. Add salads, fruits and veggies to your meals. Someone said to take your kids with you to the store and let them pick - good idea. If you have a farmer's market, that would be a good idea. Start logging your calories and getting a sense of how many calories are in the foods you are eating. Take walks - add a little bit each day. if you have a smart phone, look at the Striiv app - it makes walking fun. Slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    They eat food, just like us fat people. They just eat less. And they move more. Pretty simple concept, really.

^ This.

And, just to emphasize, I also don't know any other fit people that survive on diet or substitute food.
  • Jensenwellington
    Jensenwellington Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What really worked for me was completely leaving out any meats, fish and poultry. I understand this is not for everybody and will mostly work if you eat very unhealthy meat products. I dropped 40 pounds from quitting meat and fish and doing nothing else, I didn't work out more either so it's definitely a possibility however very radical but generally limiting your animal flesh intake will work, it makes it harder to find fast food and what you do find will be more expensive. Key point is you eat more greens when you don't have the meat option. This is from personal experience, skinnier people (who need to think about their calories and diet in general) will likely eat less meat.

Again, personal experience :-)
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want as long as you keep it within your calorie needs and maintain a deficit (to lose weight). Don't let any food nazi's scare you from any kind, type or specific food. Figure out your needs and stay within that...

That's true, but I think it's important to note she mentioned wanting to teach her children good eating habits, so makes sense that she may want to consider adding more healthy foods to her family meals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A weakness for French fries notwithstanding, I do think there is A LOT of really good healthy food out there. Here are some things to try. I'm listing them in a Unhealthy vs. Healthy format:

Potato Chips vs. Pita Chips and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Wal-Mart Deli)
    Ice Cream vs. Frozen blueberries blended with low-fat yogurt and honey (<-IT IS AMAZING!)
    Normal Hamburger vs. Laura's Lean Hamburger Patties (super low calorie, organic, green box in frozen food aisle)
    Bun vs. 100 cal. Sandwich Thin (Bread Aisle)
    Regular Brownie vs. Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownie (snack aisle, very tasty!)
    Cookies vs. Dried Fruit or Popcorn
    Regular Hotdog vs. Hebrew National All Beef Hotdog (ONLY 45 CALORIES!)
    Sugar vs. Honey and Spices
    Regular Sausage vs. Turkey Sausage (I cannot tell the difference!!)
    Fried fish vs. White fish dipped in milk/egg, covered in bread crumbs and BAKED
    Fried Potatoes vs. Veggie 'Steamables' <-red bag, frozen food aisle
    Grilled Cheese vs. Broiled Roma Tomato Slices & Mozzerella on bread with spices. (Broiled is important here - only takes 4 min.)
    Soda Pop vs. Iced Tea (lightly sweetened if you want)
    Packaged Snack Food vs. Tortilla Chips w. Herdez Salsa (Herdez is made in Mexico, really good, avail. at Wal Mart)
    Fried Shrimp vs. Grilled or Sautéed Shrimp
    Pork Fried Rice vs. White Rice

Hope this helps!

While many of those may cut calories, they are not necessarily "healthier" options when both fit your calorie goals.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A weakness for French fries notwithstanding, I do think there is A LOT of really good healthy food out there. Here are some things to try. I'm listing them in a Unhealthy vs. Healthy format:

Ice Cream vs. Frozen blueberries blended with low-fat yogurt and honey (<-IT IS AMAZING!)
    Normal Hamburger vs. Laura's Lean Hamburger Patties (super low calorie, organic, green box in frozen food aisle)
    Grilled Cheese vs. Broiled Roma Tomato Slices & Mozzerella on bread with spices. (Broiled is important here - only takes 4 min.)
    Packaged Snack Food vs. Tortilla Chips w. Herdez Salsa (Herdez is made in Mexico, really good, avail. at Wal Mart)

Hope this helps!

My problem with this list is you're calling food unhealthy and healthy. No food is inherently unhealthy. There's nothing unhealthy about a single item you list in your unhealthy list.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I reckon that naturally slim people are more sensitive to the messages from their stomach. I know that if my daughters leave the table to go to the loo during dinner for example, they find it hard to start eating again. My mum is the same - hard to eat when she's not hungry, hard to start eating after a break during a meal, eats so slowly. My trouble is that I inhale my food, can eat at anytime, and just generally don't know when to stop! Therefore I think I won't ever be like them and will have to rely on external sources to stop me eating - like monitoring my calories on MFP.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

My problem with this list is you're calling food unhealthy and healthy. No food is inherently unhealthy. There's nothing unhealthy about a single item you list in your unhealthy list.

Except the hot dogs and sausage, depending on how you define "healthy food".
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When my 2nd child was young, our pediatrician noticed his BMI was creeping up. This is what she told me, which seems like good advice for grownups and children alike:

#1 Move more! It was then end of winter, so we'd been inside a lot. She wanted me to get him out and running around.

#2 Fast food no more than once a week, less if possible. Make these outings a treat rather than the norm after a busy day.

#3 Replace cookies and other sweet snacks with fruit and raw veggies. The main go-to for snack has become apples, and grapes last about 1 hour in our house :laugh: We should also take out stock in Chiquita, with how many bananas we go through, and a veggie tray gets cheers.

#4 Eat together. When we sit down as a family for a meal, we spend time talking and enjoying company, we build good eating habits as a family, and we tend to eat less than if everybody grabs a plate and goes back to the tv, etc.

I would add to that, learn how to cook not using a lot of boxed and convenience food. We keep a supply of frozen veggies on hand (if they don't have anything else added, they are just as good as fresh), but only make something out of a box a couple of times a week. Plan your meals in advance and know how long each one takes to make so you don't get down to 6pm and you have an hour of prep before you can eat :wink: Using smaller plates is also a nice trick, you look like you've got a full plate but it's a smaller portion and take small bites, chew well, and talk with your family in between.

That's it. Ten years later, this same child is skinny and active, and my other children have also developed similar habits. We do tend to have cookies around, but they aren't our main fare

Love it! I will keep this advice for when my baby gets older.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

Except the hot dogs and sausage, depending on how you define "healthy food".

I have no idea what you would consider about hot dogs, let alone sausage, unhealthy.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Decrease starchy carbs, start cooking meals at home, eat butter, half & half, and get rid of that no fat, non fat food.
    Eat foods that are whole and are as close to their natural intended state besides cooking. Exercise.

Very simple :wink:
    Good luck friend :drinker:
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    They eat cleaner usually. but even a lot of skinny people eat very unhealthy food. you have to eat more fresh veggies and fruits in every single meal. and MOVE your body!!
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just saw this morning that Stacy Keebler, George Clooney's GF, eats no sugar and does routine cleanses. No sugar includes natural sugar like fruits. No gluten, whey, or soy and like 100 other things. I am pretty sure she does a lot of deep breathing and drinking water. She's skinny and clearly found the solution on what to eat to stay that way... nothing. Good luck trying not to turn into a nut. You'll be fine eating healthy foods but George may stay out of our league unless we commit to ultimate restriction and that sounds like a real bummer.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just saw this morning that Stacy Keebler, George Clooney's GF, eats no sugar and does routine cleanses. No sugar includes natural sugar like fruits. No gluten, whey, or soy and like 100 other things. I am pretty sure she does a lot of deep breathing and drinking water. She's skinny and clearly found the solution on what to eat to stay that way... nothing. Good luck trying not to turn into a nut. You'll be fine eating healthy foods but George may stay out of our league unless we commit to ultimate restriction and that sounds like a real bummer.

Your mistake is thinking that you, or Stacy Keebler, needs to eat that way in order to be thin/healthy/lean/whatever.
  • francacosta750
    francacosta750 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    stay as close to the source as possible. salads, greens, beans fruits, veggies and pick broiled, bbqed items. no deep frying, cut back on butter, sugar, pastas, white flour, corn, green peas, desserts, fast food. fast food is loaded with calories and fat and doesnt' have much nutritional value. serving sizes are much smaller then we tend to eat. for example a portion of meat is the size of your palm. veggies etc. are just 1/2 cup. eat low cal snacks like celery, carrots, fruits.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself skinny, but I am a healthy weight, and I just eat normally! I rarely eat processed or fast food and make most things from scratch. We usually eat pretty simple things, and my kids (age 2 and 4) usually eat the same as us, unless we're having something really spicy.

Today for example we had scrambled egg, beans and toast for breakfast, fruit for a snack (and the kids had raisins) then lunch was a small jacket potato with tuna. We also had a small bit of green and black's chocolate after, but we don't usually do that. My 4 year old has chicken pox at the moment so we're all a bit tired and feeling sorry for ourselves! My husband and I will have leftover Thai green curry (homemade) for dinner and the kids will just have something light. We've been out for a long walk just now, the kids on their scooters.

My kids have never, ever been to McDonald's and I intend to keep it that way!

My children are healthy and slim, in fact my 4 year old son is a bit on the skinny side. They know to eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. They do have treats now and again, I haven't restricted anything. We are also pretty active as a family and take the kids out all the time. They don't even really watch TV.

Just cook meals yourself and be active.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Skinny people don't all eat the same things. Some eat heatlhy and some do not. Some eat a lot and some eat a little.

But it's good that you have your health as a focus. Forget "skinny" and keep that focus on health and fitness. Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, vegetable fats and whole grains. Keep your calories in check and your treats as treats and not dietary staples. Prepare more of your meals from scratch rather than buying preprepared meals.

Read this:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

Excellent answer!!

OP, trying to cut everything "bad" out of your diet might make this too hard on you. Take baby steps and consider how to make those meals you enjoy healthier. For instance, american chop suey (or goulash) - pasta, meat, sauce - to make this healthier, you could use less pasta or healthier pasta (whole wheat), use less meat or leaner meat and either make your own sauce with lots of veg or add lots of veg to a jarred sauce (carrot, celery, mushroom, bell peppers, spinach, zuchinni, etc If the husband or kiddos don't like the texture of veg, puree them in a food processor and no one will know the difference. This trick works for legumes too - I make a chili where I add 2 cans of kidney beans and all but about 1/2 cup of them get pureed. That way my fussy hubs still gets the nutrients without having to deal with the icky texture. And side bonus, the pureed beans thicken up the chili nicely.

FYI, all ground turkey is not necessarily healthier, check your labels to make sure it's lean ground turkey. If not, it's really no better than ground beef.

If you, your kids or hubs don't like veggies much, try them in different ways. Eat them raw in salads, saute them, roast them, grill them. Boiling and steaming are good but if you're not careful there is a tendency to overcook and then they're mushy and tasteless. Avoid canned veg, go for fresh or frozen with no added sauces.

Good luck!
  • txwarriormama
    Options
    The way to go is to make healthy clean versions of the foods you enjoy, and be accurate with portion sizes/calorie counts so you can ensure you are staying within your calorie goals. The more you exercise, the more you can indulge and still keep your calories where they need to be.

Find some low calorie snacks that you like to have on hand for those times when you feel hungry but don't want to over do it. Log everything - food, water, exercise into MFP so you can see how you are doing over the course of the week.

I keep breakfast simple -
    ie. peanut butter on a slice of healthy wheat toast or bagel thin, chobani greek yogurt, spicy jalapeno cream cheese on a bagel thin with tomato and arugula - stuff like that

Lunch:
    measured portions of left over dinner
    Sandwich on a bagel thin or other low calorie sandwich roll (quality deli roast beef, arugula, tomato, horseradish)
    tuna salad made with measured portion of mayo or avocado over salad greens or in a sandwich
    bone broth soup with salad or kale chips

Dinners:
    Most anything can be made clean and (relatively healthy) - so long as you make it yourself and watch your portions, especially on the more caloric items. (meatloaf with mashed potatoes & cauliflower, smoked pork, grilled chicken or salmon, chicken wings, turkey burgers, spaghetti, etc...

The big thing for me is measuring and weighing so I know what I am consuming and can make any appropriate adjustments.

Don't think of it as DIET, think of it as changing to a healthier way of life.

-Chrissy