what do skinny people eat?!?

Options

Replies

• amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I believe what will help you is baby steps. Cut back slowly on fast food, sodas, processed foods etc.. and slowly increase the amount of water you drink and the amount of fruits, veggies, whole grains and leans meats.

Give yourself some time, but set a goal- maybe within 3 months fast food will be once a week or once a month treat? Do not completely cut out treats or you will give up. Small baby step will not get you to your goal in a week, but with dedication it is certainly better than making no changes at all.

Also, you have to move your body! Start slow there too. Start out just walking. Find an exercise that you like. I have a ton of at home videos that I love that get you moving, and sweating, and burning calories and you don't have to go to the gym. You could try yoga, kickboxing, kettlebell, good ol' fashioned jumping-jacks, anything to get yourself moving. Once you get your endurance up, slowly step-up your workouts.

It will take time, and dedication. There will be the occasional slip-up here and there, or whole week of laziness even, but as long as you get back up and keep moving forward you will get there.

Also, as tempting as it is, DO NOT start yourself out with a huge calorie deficit. It may work for awhile, but it is setting yourself up for failure.

Don't focus on being "skinny" either, think of getting healthy, for yourself and your kids!
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm not skinny *yet* but have just started eating healthy the past month. I had a very similar diet as you. I have basically cut out all white flour and potatoes and most processed foods. I'm learning to cook from scratch.

My old breakfast: bagel with cream cheese vs my new breakfast: two scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese and a banana.
    My old lunch: microwaveable dinty moore meal or can of soup full of sodium and carbs. vs my new lunch: spinach salad with veggies and cheese and cauliflower with dipping sauce on side.
    My old dinner: Hamburger helper meal vs my new dinner. Homemade style using whole wheat pasta, fit and active mushroom soup, cheese, meat and spices.

I have been experimenting with spaghetti squash dishes and cauliflower dishes. Eating fruits for snacks. I know I'm not eating perfect but I know I'm eating a heck of a lot better than what I used to.

And of course certain times I'm going to cheat. My bf was been wanting pizza for awhile so we might have a cheat night soon and get one. But instead of eating pizza once a week it's going to be once every month or two. I'm not going to deprive myself just learn to eat in moderation. I still eat out at fast food places but get a salad from Wendy's instead of a bacon double cheeseburger.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. My diary is open to friends and I always like making new friends on here :)
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular perception around me in my neck of the woods, I am not skinny despite my low body fat percentage. I simply rarely eat until I feel like I am about to explode and I work out six days a week. I am muscular. :smile:

What I do and avoid in the nutrition department:

1) I cook almost every day. I eat out once every two weeks because that's all my budget allows and NOT because of calorie restrictions.

2) I do not eat certain things because they upset my stomach and/or hurt my sensitive teeth. These things include most cold sugary drinks, regular milk (oddly enough, ice cream and cheese do not bother me as long as I keep the portions small :wink: ), and almost everything with artificial coloring and hard-to-spell-without-peeking chemicals.

3) I incorporate a lot of fiber and protein in what I eat every day.

4) I do not make carbohydrates an enemy.

5) I eat bacon religiously. :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    How about skip the orthorexia and eat at a moderate deficit. Instead of going from one unhealthy relationship with food (gluttony) to another unhealthy relationship with food (fear) make the effort to learn what portion sizes of the foods you like are right for you.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie goal and hit or exceed my protein and fat numbers. I had chocolate mouse cake as an appetizer to my breakfast yesterday. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We eat what we want, just in smaller quantities, at least that's how it should be, I'm still teaching myself that art.:wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The way to go is to make healthy clean versions of the foods you enjoy

IMO that's the way to yo-yo diet. Cutting out the foods you actually like in favor of "healthy" or "clean" versions often leads to relapsing and binging. Pretty much all the people I know that have been successful long-term, including myself, don't do that sort of thing.
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    I would like to know. Honestly I just know I need to change or I will never get this weight off. Not to mention I'm teaching all 3 of my daughters bad eating habits. I hate myself this weight and have been stuck around this weight for 2 1/2 years. My husband and I have horrible eating patterns fast food, pizza frozen or take out, lasagna, tacos and baked chicken nuggets and fries are basically our staples. I guess the surprise isn't that I now weight 280 lbs on my 5'4 frame. I'm drowning and I know if I don't change I will die, I've been dying on their inside. Please giver ideas of healthy eating.

I think they can eat any of that stuff really. I mean, you can be fit and have some of those foods...or all, you just have to learn to make them "healthy" Make pizza on thins (english muffins/they have like those thin buns you know?) placing your own toppings on your pizza you can ensure that you are eating healthy foods..chicken and vegetables was always my go to and it made me feel better knowing that I could eat 1 entire english muffin with toppings for under 400 calories for sure. make small switches instead of white bread/pasta noodles switch to whole wheat... instead of frozen chicken nuggets, buy chicken and bread crumbs and make your own "chicken nuggets".. uhmm.. you can bake potatoes in the oven with a bit of seasoning and make your own fries.. if you portion out to realistic portion sizes you should see weight loss and not feel deprived. You can't go at it hard right away because you may back slide... you just learn healthier ways of living the more you stick to it and learn the right foods. I wish you luck and hope you start to see progress soon! :smile: .... PS I personally feel that "skinny" shouldn't be where you want to be.. however..."healthy" or "fit" should be the goal.. The "skinny" people aren't necessarily healthy... :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I eat what ever I want, that is real food, and desserts and sweets in moderation.

Please feel free to visit my facebook page to see what I eat, how I cook and great healthy recipes:

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    That is a loaded question. I know a skinny person right now who rarely eats. When she does eat (or from what I observe and what she tells me) it is usually junk food and candy. I've heard her mention that she watched her sodium intake because seh has a family history of heart disease so I think she thinks that means she can have as much sugar as she wants.

I know another thin person who eats like everyone else from what I can tell. We both complain about the lack of food choices in our work area. When she took me out to lunch for my birthday we ended up ordering the same thing. She is a good 8" taller than me which I'm sure helps a bit but I don't think she snacks all the time like I do - and I only stopped drinking regular soda last year and I think she always went with diet. So little things that can add up to a lot. I think smoking is her vice though - mine is snacking.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    How about skip the orthorexia and eat at a moderate deficit. Instead of going from one unhealthy relationship with food (gluttony) to another unhealthy relationship with food (fear) make the effort to learn what portion sizes of the foods you like are right for you.

scared.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A weakness for French fries notwithstanding, I do think there is A LOT of really good healthy food out there. Here are some things to try. I'm listing them in a Unhealthy vs. Healthy format:

Potato Chips vs. Pita Chips and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Wal-Mart Deli)
    Ice Cream vs. Frozen blueberries blended with low-fat yogurt and honey (<-IT IS AMAZING!)
    Normal Hamburger vs. Laura's Lean Hamburger Patties (super low calorie, organic, green box in frozen food aisle)
    Bun vs. 100 cal. Sandwich Thin (Bread Aisle)
    Regular Brownie vs. Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownie (snack aisle, very tasty!)
    Cookies vs. Dried Fruit or Popcorn
    Regular Hotdog vs. Hebrew National All Beef Hotdog (ONLY 45 CALORIES!)
    Sugar vs. Honey and Spices
    Regular Sausage vs. Turkey Sausage (I cannot tell the difference!!)
    Fried fish vs. White fish dipped in milk/egg, covered in bread crumbs and BAKED
    Fried Potatoes vs. Veggie 'Steamables' <-red bag, frozen food aisle
    Grilled Cheese vs. Broiled Roma Tomato Slices & Mozzerella on bread with spices. (Broiled is important here - only takes 4 min.)
    Soda Pop vs. Iced Tea (lightly sweetened if you want)
    Packaged Snack Food vs. Tortilla Chips w. Herdez Salsa (Herdez is made in Mexico, really good, avail. at Wal Mart)
    Fried Shrimp vs. Grilled or Sautéed Shrimp
    Pork Fried Rice vs. White Rice

Hope this helps!

My problem with this list is you're calling food unhealthy and healthy. No food is inherently unhealthy. There's nothing unhealthy about a single item you list in your unhealthy list.

Except the hot dogs and sausage, depending on how you define "healthy food".

I have no idea what you would consider about hot dogs, let alone sausage, unhealthy.

According to cancer research groups, consuming any amount of processed meat increases the risk of colon cancer. While eating these foods may be part of an overall healthy diet, any food that carries that kind of increased risk of disease would not fit my definition of a "healthy food".
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Some people eat junk & stay skinny ..... sad to say, that's not happening with most of us ......

Gotta ditch the junk ...... gotta cook GOOD food at home ...... gotta have portion control ..... lean meats, poultry, fish ...... LOTS of fresh/frozen veggies (the only canned stuff I like are beans, rinse & drain them) ...... and drink lots of water rather than the "other stuff" :drinker:

Make healthy choices at EACH meal ..... best of luck to you !
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am not skinny, but I am active and a healthy size -- I eat all the foods and I walk and various other exercises.
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Simple tweaks to food makes it so much better for you. Removing skin from chicken, lower fat dressings and sauces, roasted potatoes instead of fries. I personally do not even own a deep fryer, not only does the nutritional value turn me off of fried food, the smell of my house and clothing after makes me nauseous.
    I don't deprived myself or my family of the things we love, we just eat more of the healthier options and go out for dinner when were craving that kind of stuff.
    My husbands one of those bottomless pits who seems to eat everything in his path and still stay lean and fit. I personally have to work at it. We live in the country about half hour to the closest grocery store, we have a small store with ridiculous prices around our house. He always nags me to keep stock of chips and junk like that. For the most part I refuse to pack my cupboards with crap food because I know it's the first thing him and the kids will go for when they want a snack. If he wants it he has to go get it. 9 times out of 10 he grabs the precut veggies and dip or cheese and crackers from the fridge instead. The kids dive into whatever's in front of them....I'm happy and their tummys are full of HEALTHY food. Win..win, it's easy.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 lbs and am now wearing a size small shirt size 4 bottoms.

Breakfast:
    Quaker instant Oatmeal
    Apple
    Banana
    35 calorie yogurt

Lunch:
    Carrots
    Apple slices
    either portion controlled leftovers, a salad, soup(homemade, less sodium) or a lean cuisine

Dinner:
    Cooked Carrots
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Sweet potato
    Chicken Breast, or a lean cut of beef or pork.

Following the above I was averaging 2 lbs a week for weight loss. I still eat the same way just adding a few portion controlled snacks in there as I'm working on maintaining. I fdo exercise as well. I'm military so we have mandatory fitness classes
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm skinny. I eat food. Various things. Good and bad. About 2100+ calories of it lately.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    They eat food, just like us fat people. They just eat less. And they move more. Pretty simple concept, really.

QFT
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send me a friend request and have peek at my diary. I'm a mum too so I understand your concern for your kids.

Maybe start with one meal at a time rather than throw yourself into a drastic change where you might feel like you "slip up" and "fail" (which isn't really failing as long as you pick yourself up and keep going).

How about starting the day with oats? Plan dinners around meat and veggies? Search through the recipes on here.

I totally agree with starting slow with one meal at a time. The challenge is in moving forward and remembering why the change, and in continuing the slow changes for the better. So many times I find myself regressing, then having that dozing head-nod and remembering that I'm supposed to be moving in a better direction. So this week I'm not eating the ice cream.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    I eat fruit for breakfast, whatever's in season, between a quarter and a half cup. Then a quarter cup of brown rice with soy sauce. Then dinner with the family, egg noodles and pasta sauce or chicken teriyaki or steamed veggies and shrimp rolls. I'm younger, though, so our caloric needs are different.