Why do many here not consider themselves runners despite running regularly?

Options

Replies

• starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I run 3-4 times a week. I've only been doing it a few months and I'm horribly slow. I really love it though (although at the time I think I'm going to die)
    I can't refer to myself as a "runner" because I'm worried that if I do people who run marathons will consider it a huge insult to be bracketed with such a rookie as me, or mock me. Last night I was chatting to a good friend of mine who runs marathons, and I could feel myself getting redder and redder while he asked me about my run that day (it was 5 miles, so fairly respectable for me... But a mere warm up for him)
    So I just say "I run" or even "I jog" that way, I look less of a tool.

no one working on improving themselves and their passion is a tool. And anyone who judges you for doing so is the real tool.

Thank you for this xx

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I would be a runner if I'd stop getting this stupid stress fractures every time I run on pavement.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    People can call themselves what they'd like. I don't put a distance or speed requirement on it.

I don't consider myself a runner because I dislike running. I do it a few times a week, 4 or 5 miles at a time, at a reasonable pace, but it's a necessary evil. I feel like there should at least be some element of enjoyment to use the "runner" label.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Before I ran, I didn't understand the term the same way as I do now. I always thought of running and jogging as distinctly separate terms. What I always called running is actually sprinting, a specific (but not exclusive) type of running. Jogging is another form of running. I don't like to run as much as I enjoy things like hiking, but I always have trouble finding time for either. I consider myself a hiker because I feel naturally comfortable with the activity... even if I don't get to do it as often as I want to. I do not consider myself a runner, despite running on occasion, because it doesn't feel natural to me.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    People can call themselves what they'd like. I don't put a distance or speed requirement on it.

I don't consider myself a runner because I dislike running. I do it a few times a week, 4 or 5 miles at a time, at a reasonable pace, but it's a necessary evil. I feel like there should at least be some element of enjoyment to use the "runner" label.

This has just made me wonder if there are any professional runners, say like one of the famous Marathon winners who actually dislikes running. Perhaps one who does it just because they can win it.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »

This has just made me wonder if there are any professional runners, say like one of the famous Marathon winners who actually dislikes running. Perhaps one who does it just because they can win it.

Not sure about marathon runners, but I have it on good authority that Usain Bolt only runs because he's fast. He would much rather be pursuing his lifelong dream of being a llama farmer.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week. I've only been doing it a few months and I'm horribly slow. I really love it though (although at the time I think I'm going to die)
    I can't refer to myself as a "runner" because I'm worried that if I do people who run marathons will consider it a huge insult to be bracketed with such a rookie as me, or mock me. Last night I was chatting to a good friend of mine who runs marathons, and I could feel myself getting redder and redder while he asked me about my run that day (it was 5 miles, so fairly respectable for me... But a mere warm up for him)

Hey - I run marathons sometimes and I think 5 miles is a perfectly respectable run. And I never warm up for more than three miles ;)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I would be a runner if I'd stop getting this stupid stress fractures every time I run on pavement.

I don't know your pain specifically, though I have had my share of constant shin splints for years where I thought I'd had stress fractures many times the pain was so severe. I kept giving up on running, depressed that I couldn't do it.. Then return to it months later for another go only to have the same thing keep happening. If I make it through a run now, no matter how long or short, I am on top of the world for it because I remember how shite it feels to be told "maybe it's just not worth doing".

I am really sorry to hear about your stress fractures.. It honestly sucks not being able to run and I hope you make it back out there soon!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

I consider anyone who has either succeeded in sh*tting themselves in the middle of a run, or at least been forced to pull over and take care of the problem behind a bush, to be a real runner. Until you have that experience, I am not sure I can call you a "real runner" yet.

;)

If that is the definition of a real runner I can say that I am not and never will be a real runner. I am not "that" dedicated. :s
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm running my third half marathon this coming Sunday, have quite a few 'First place in my age group' medals/trophies and just recently began to feel like I MIGHT be a runner. I'm not fast (33 min 5K, but I am a 60 yr old female), but I run regularly, start to jones bad when I can't (like this week on my taper). I guess I might be a runner....
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

When I was on the couch with a stress fracture, I posted something to the effect that I once was a runner and would be a runner again. Several people commented to say I was a runner, I just happened to be injured at the moment.

That was then. I had a goal to run at least 20 minutes, at least 3 days a week. The longest streak I had put together was 16 weeks. Motivation did not fail me, but my body did. I kept getting injured. So . . . I made injury recovery and injury prevention my top running goal. I learned to back off sooner, to run slower, and to add miles more gradually.

The streak of running at least 3 days now stands at 64 weeks. And remaining uninjured, as defined by being able to run three days a week, at least 20 minutes, is my top running goal for 2016.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I find faster runners to be really encouraging towards me, who is not fast to say the least. I've done a there and back trail marathon twice now. This last time, I was getting passed by people returning starting around mile 10. But, we'd wave and they'd say things like, "Keep it up!" or "Looking good!" It always makes me smile. I've found that runners are a good group, overall.

For me, I'm a runner. A slow one, but a runner nonetheless. I can run 22 miles non-stop. Maybe a full marathon, but this last one I did I had a blister pop, so I don't know for sure yet. But, the Hubster and I have a designation for the people a lot of you are talking about as qualifying as a runner - we call them serious runners! Haha :lol:
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I don't think I am because I am still very slow. My perception is runners are 10 min milers

Why would pace matter at all? If you run at least once per week, I'd say you're a runner. That's like saying you're not a driver because you drive slow. You're still driving.

Because much slower than that and it's walking not running.
  • Kirky_V2
    Kirky_V2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started running I totally remember not being able to make it to the end of the street, then having to run walk 2 miles between lamp-posts and having it feel like a massive achievement. Was I a runner? Nah, I don't think so.

Even now, after 5 marathons, an ultra 70 mile run, countless halfs, am I a runner? Maybe, but I'm not one of those club runners with about 1% body fat, veins popping out of their legs, that 1000yd stare.... I'm just a guy who bimbles merrily at 9 min/mile for as long as I like.

However, I say if you regularly put one foot in front of the other, as fast as you can, and for as long as you can, you're a runner.

And that about sums it up, pace and distance don't matter, challenging yourself does.

Next stop, London Marathon.....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

I consider anyone who has either succeeded in sh*tting themselves in the middle of a run, or at least been forced to pull over and take care of the problem behind a bush, to be a real runner. Until you have that experience, I am not sure I can call you a "real runner" yet.

;)

If that is the definition of a real runner I can say that I am not and never will be a real runner. I am not "that" dedicated. :s

I don't know if it is really about dedication... it just happens when it happens. I got runner's "runs" much more often when I was a newbie runner. I'm still very much a newbie, but for the first few months of running after not running for years, it was a frequent problem. I even had that happen once while I was just hiking and I had maybe trail run for about a minute while out on a day hike.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I think like some of the others have said, if you run then you're a runner.

For me though it took a long time to actually feel like one. For the first year+, despite having run several races including a marathon, I felt like I was faking it and felt very intimidated around other runners. Maybe because I had never committed to any sport or physical activity longer than a few weeks/months is why I felt that way, I don't know. I'm nearly 3 years in now and it's just a part of my life.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself an employee because I don't like to work. I only do it because I have these bills I have to pay. And I am really not that good at my job.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

;)

I will never be a real runner, then. It's always taken care of right before I go out in the morning :p

I don't know that I'll ever think of myself as "a runner" rather than someone who likes to run. I've always wanted to do it, and I've started. I've just finished week 7 of C25K now and plan on transitioning to the 10K trainer when I've finished with this. I have goals of just ... running for an hour. No plans for speed, or entering races or anything like that. It's just a fitness thing I enjoy because it feels wonderful and ... I don't know, I like it. It's meditative or something.

I'll just jog along without putting a name to what I do and enjoy the sense of accomplishment.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you run and love it, you're a runner. You don't need to *kitten* in the middle of a marathon or throw up at the end to be considered a runner. Only the snobby elitists would say such things. I met someone who said she never did a 5k or 10k because they're not worth her time. Whateve!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I met someone who said she never did a 5k or 10k because they're not worth her time.

Training for a competitive 5K and training for longer distances are completely different things. For me, spending my time training to get down to a 20 minute 5K would completely disrupt marathon training.

In that sense I can see the point of the statement. Less so 10K as it becomes a hard training run to race that, given that it's the minimum length of a training session now.