Can I eat junk and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    IdoScience wrote: »
    ashbee03 wrote: »
    Technically you can eat whatever you want, and lose weight.
    As long as your calories are at a deficit.

Now the only thing is, you won't be healthy, and you will lack in vitamins, etc.
    And also, those foods don't make you feel full for long, keep you craving processed stuff, etc. But if that's what you want, then go for it.

Very interesting, my local newspaper ran a story a few months ago about a women who ate 36 oreos a day for the last 40 years. She just turned 91 this year

Yes, while we would like to think we understand the health/nutrient equation, we really don't.
    Latest research shows that people who take a daily multivitamin die sooner. Same for fish oil.

I was listening to a program on NPR recently about 'things we think are healthy but don't appear to be born out by science.'

One finding was that people who were slightly overweight lived longer......

LOL
    What we don't know.....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »
    anirud1 wrote: »
    If I eat McDonald's, Wendy's, hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc. BUT STAY WITHIN MY CALORIE GOAL will I still lose weight??

Sarcasm?? If yes, good one.
    A lot of push for calorie deficit but less nutrition talk. Sad!

I take it you are against fast food

Haha!
    No, I am not against fast food at all.
    Even my dietary intake is not 100% clean and I eat out (fast food) every now and then but do meet my nutrition goals set by MFP app.
    But when I see people replying by just one sentence everywhere regarding 'CICO' without mentioning about nutrition at all (even if they are aware of it and following themselves), I literally flip out.
    When we know it is a lifestyle change and sooner or later have to follow a proper 'nutritious' diet plan if want to make weight loss long term, why ignore nutrition part of the diet when advising someone.

Why would you assume OP is ignorant of nutrition and has to be informed about it? Maybe the people who are simply answering her question are giving her the basic respect of assuming that she's not planning to throw nutrition out the window.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

Now the only thing is, you won't be healthy, and you will lack in vitamins, etc.
    And also, those foods don't make you feel full for long, keep you craving processed stuff, etc. But if that's what you want, then go for it.

Very interesting, my local newspaper ran a story a few months ago about a women who ate 36 oreos a day for the last 40 years. She just turned 91 this year

Yes, while we would like to think we understand the health/nutrient equation, we really don't.
    Latest research shows that people who take a daily multivitamin die sooner. Same for fish oil.

I was listening to a program on NPR recently about 'things we think are healthy but don't appear to be born out by science.'

LOL
    What we don't know.....
    And the death rate in hospitals is pretty high.

It's not hard to imagine that people who are otherwise unhealthy, or sick, might try vitamins or fish oil. It doesn't mean that either product caused the early deaths.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why would you not be healthy? Are you assuming that if someone eats some "junk food" that they eat ONLY junk food? I would never make that assumption.

I lost lots of weight eating a mostly nutrient dense diet with some higher cal treats included in my day -- more often when I'd done lots of exercise and had more calories, but it's not that hard to fit in if you don't cut the calories too low and if you also eat lots of low cal/nutrient dense stuff like vegetables. I never had an issue with cravings or being unhealthy (why would I), and certainly don't crave "processed stuff" (which is such a broad category as to be meaningless).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP (if you ever come back), as others have said, you can lose weight and still eat "junk" as you call it. I prefer not to label food that way, but I do eat the foods you mentioned, in moderation, as part of an overall balanced diet.

I think it is unrealistic to cut out foods you love, especially if you are viewing this as a lifestyle change. So I refuse to give up things like wine, chocolate, and ice cream. Also as a busy, working parent, I rely on convenience foods like Hamburger Helper (GASP!) because they are quick and I can add things to them to help improve the nutrient density. I use lean ground beef that I have already cooked and frozen in 1 lb bags, add frozen spinach or green beans, a bag of salad and some garlic bread and I can have dinner on the table in 15 minutes. That works for me and my family very well. Last night we had to run errands so we had Chik Fil A, so yeah, I eat fast food occasionally too. I also had wine when I got home from the errands!

I lost 30 lbs doing this and am currently maintaining.

(Maybe I should have split all that advice up to up my post count, dang it!)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

LOL
    What we don't know.....

correlation does not equal causation. Many people who think they aren't healthy for some reason or another try to balance the equation by adding in a supplement here and there.
    There are myriad studies coming out 'proving' one thing or another - we can't really trust these studies unless they were performed under the most stringent of study requirements. Large enough random pool, double blind groups, length of study, source of funding, etc, etc. If the study is tainted, the results will be also.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

That's unusual though. That's why it made the papers. If it was the norm, it wouldn't be worthy of a story.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

That's unusual though. That's why it made the papers. If it was the norm, it wouldn't be worthy of a story.

I don't think it's that unusual. One generation back and our families were eating a higher calorie load, fattier foods, more carbohydrates. What changed? The activity level. Even fifty years ago, people were far more active on a daily basis. Jobs were less sedentary, kids were playing outside when they weren't in school (and in school they were more active), at home people had to perform more physical tasks. Everything in the last fifty years has taken our lives to a completely sedentary life. That's the change.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can lose weight on that, sure, but you might find it more of a challenge if (like me) you don't find yourself full on a diet that lacks fiber. And you might find yourself discouraged if you wind up overeating because you're hungry.

I ate McDs (not the salads/wraps etc, either) and lost weight; it did usually mean I ate over my goals on those days (bc was still hungry bc nutritional needs not met). It didn't matter then because I did lots and lots of exercise. (Overall my diet was balanced, and I didn't typically eat over my targets.)
  • mccindy72
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    You can lose weight on that, sure, but you might find it more of a challenge if (like me) you don't find yourself full on a diet that lacks fiber. And you might find yourself discouraged if you wind up overeating because you're hungry.

I ate McDs (not the salads/wraps etc, either) and lost weight; it did usually mean I ate over my goals on those days (bc was still hungry bc nutritional needs not met). It didn't matter then because I did lots and lots of exercise. (Overall my diet was balanced, and I didn't typically eat over my targets.)

That's the challenge; finding your satiety. For some people, it's fat and protein. For others, it's carbs. For yet others, it's high fiber. Every person has to find what works for him or herself.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    If I eat McDonald's, Wendy's, hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc. BUT STAY WITHIN MY CALORIE GOAL will I still lose weight??

No.

Just kidding.

Yes (but keep an eye on your overall nutrition to ensure it is sufficient.)

LOL
  • leslielosesit
    leslielosesit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Anyone who says you cannot is lying.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Wow, more than one Oreo and I feel sick. What a good example of how people differ.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Wow, more than one Oreo and I feel sick. What a good example of how people differ.

I'm the same way for sweets; have a built-in gag response after like 2-4 bites. (Sadly, that is not the case for chips.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

That's the challenge; finding your satiety. For some people, it's fat and protein. For others, it's carbs. For yet others, it's high fiber. Every person has to find what works for him or herself.

Very true. I'm not even really a huge fiber person; I think the thing with the fast food burger places is that if you get the burger/fries dealies, and live just or mainly off that, there is almost *no* fiber.
  • AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Remember the main objective here is to get healthy not just skinny. All the trans fat and deep fried food is going to go straight to clogging those arteries and woman are way more likely to die of a heart attack. Calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight but don't you wanna be a healthy skinny?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Remember the main objective here is to get healthy not just skinny. All the trans fat and deep fried food is going to go straight to clogging those arteries and woman are way more likely to die of a heart attack. Calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight but don't you wanna be a healthy skinny?

No one said to eat fast food every day. It's perfectly fine to eat fast food sometimes. All things in moderation. You wouldn't exactly be healthy skinny if all you ate was broccoli.