Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can you? Sure. Why would you?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Can you? Sure. Why would you?

Some people honestly like the taste.
    Some people work there and need the free food provided to employees.
    Some people like the playplaces for their kids.
    Some people are on the road all day and may not have the time or facilities for other options.
    Some people are inexperienced or disastrous cooks who need ready-made food on a budget.
    Some people feel pressured to go and eat with friends, family, or coworkers.
    Some people honestly don't have access to working kitchen equipment.

Why do people keep asking this question in this thread? Is it a lack of imagination that some people might like or need different things? Or is it just to wind people up?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I really need to check out the American McDonalds menu... Here, we have I believe the choice of one salad... The rest of the menu is the typical Burger, fries and thick shakes.

ETA: It's been months since I've been there, maybe they've jumped on the healthy band wagon recently. .

I'm not going to lie - I'm super jealous that the soft serve can come with a part of a Flake in the great land of Oz. So yummy.

Also, Tim Tams. Enough said. ;)

Haha, they are super good soft serves too.

And totally agree about the Tim Tams, they've just brought out three bean coffee flavoured ones, dangeeeeerous :grumble:

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to?

Because McDonald's food is bangin'.
    I don't think so. It's just kind of blah. But the coffee and fries are definitely good lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This food write for Fortune magazine has the same takeaway as the link I posted earlier:

http://fortune.com/2015/10/15/mcdonalds-movie-weight-loss/

...McDonald’s, lately struggling to find solutions to flagging sales and a weakened reputation, is promoting a movie that advises high-school students that if they eat at McDonald’s, they will be following a healthy, “balanced” diet.
    Except that that's not what it says, at all.

It's pretty cheap to slip in "will be" to attack something that says "can be."

By "it" in "Except that that's not what it says, at all" are you referring to the article I quoted? I copied and pasted and did not change a word.

eb3798c38281d395d2d01c22d98ce39c.png

Or are you referring to the author's takeaway?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This food write for Fortune magazine has the same takeaway as the link I posted earlier:

...McDonald’s, lately struggling to find solutions to flagging sales and a weakened reputation, is promoting a movie that advises high-school students that if they eat at McDonald’s, they will be following a healthy, “balanced” diet.

By "it" in "Except that that's not what it says, at all" are you referring to the article I quoted? I copied and pasted and did not change a word.

Wait, are you trying to show the media misrepresenting an article again?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Maybe we are reading it differently but I will quote straight from the article:

McDonald’s spokeswoman Lisa McComb wrote in an email to FORTUNE: "John’s story is not a weight loss plan, and we do not recommend that anyone eat every meal at one restaurant every day for an extended period. Rather, John’s story is about making informed and balanced choices no matter where you choose to eat and incorporating exercise into your daily routine.
    As an educator, he independently conducted his experiment and he uses it to promote critical thinking about balance and informed choices. As part of his relationship with McDonald’s, the original documentary John Cisna created to track his experiment was updated to better reflect the importance of food choice and balance together with moderate physical activity."

They are promoting that MCDonalds can be incorporated into a healthy, balanced diet with the right choices and physical exercise. Not that McDonalds is fine to eat everyday for lunch and after school.

Yes, that's the McDonalds viewpoint. My point was that the article author's takeaway was:

• healthyrachel1979
    healthyrachel1979 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Is this the 1940s where we can't make educated inferences about obvious things. Yes you can lose weight eating only pop-tarts. No, you should not.

But the peanut butter ones are soooo delicious!

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Maybe we are reading it differently but I will quote straight from the article:

McDonald’s spokeswoman Lisa McComb wrote in an email to FORTUNE: "John’s story is not a weight loss plan, and we do not recommend that anyone eat every meal at one restaurant every day for an extended period. Rather, John’s story is about making informed and balanced choices no matter where you choose to eat and incorporating exercise into your daily routine.
    As an educator, he independently conducted his experiment and he uses it to promote critical thinking about balance and informed choices. As part of his relationship with McDonald’s, the original documentary John Cisna created to track his experiment was updated to better reflect the importance of food choice and balance together with moderate physical activity."

They are promoting that MCDonalds can be incorporated into a healthy, balanced diet with the right choices and physical exercise. Not that McDonalds is fine to eat everyday for lunch and after school.

Yes, that's the McDonalds viewpoint. My point was that the article author's takeaway was:

Businesses prosper only if they keep up with the current trends and technology, that's one of the top priorities all business owners should acknowledge. Any McDonalds I drive by are always busy, drive thru and inside. The author sees struggling, I see a great business opportunity and McDonalds is doing it correctly. They are making every effort to make their food healthy and attractive to keep up with growing demands for new health conscious lifestyles and generation. Greed maybe, but not struggle.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Someone posted this on facebook and it reminded me of this thread and how "scientific" this science teacher's work was. Not for the same topic, but it applies here too. A pity that this image is not taught in science classes, it would be something the kids would benefit from. Instead of trusting stories like Supersize me or the McDonald's diet (to list both sides, as they are both examples of what science is not) and basing lifestyle decisions on one person "studies" and on stories that look good in the media.

CL-La70UMAE0WDL.png
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Someone posted this on facebook and it reminded me of this thread and how "scientific" this science teacher's work was. Not for the same topic, but it applies here too. A pity that this image is not taught in science classes, it would be something the kids would benefit from. Instead of trusting stories like Supersize me or the McDonald's diet (to list both sides, as they are both examples of what science is not) and basing lifestyle decisions on one person "studies" and on stories that look good in the media.

CL-La70UMAE0WDL.png

I agree with this, but I also remember how, in science class - my engaging science teacher at high school was most able to get us excited about certain concepts when he found fun ways to play around with them and demonstrate them.

We could build our own electrical models. We could grow beans and experiment with feeding them different mixtures and see which ones grew best. We could eat lots of sugar in one day and write an essay about our energy levels (he did that). We did these sort of interactive things all the time - not because our teacher was trying to publish a verifiable study, but because he was trying to open our minds to critical thinking and the idea of experimenting in order to find things out.

Yes, the teacher in the video did get a job from McDonalds down the line, but he started off as just a creative science teacher, running a fun "experiment".

I plan to run my own experiment in November, just for me. I am going to call it McVember. I have an idea of what to expect (but I am open to being surprised) and I understand that my experience will be uniquely my own and cannot be applied to anyone else. It will still be useful to me though, as I am gathering data on my own body and responses, so there is value in that for me and me alone.

My boyfriend and I are going to eat McDonalds only for a month, we will allow ourselves to drink coffee and other sodas/water/diet soda at home, but will log these. I suspect my challenge will be different to his because I eat at 1200 and it is quite tricky to fit three meals a day at McDonalds into that, without getting a little creative around what you call a meal, on occasion. I suspect I am going to find the volumes challenging and the food repetitive as there are a few items I cannot see how I could ever fit in (like shakes). I am sure I will often be hungry and I might have to do irritating things like cut burgers in half. Perhaps I am wrong. We shall see.

I suspect my boyfriend, who has 2800 calories eat (a large man maintaining) - will have a different experience. He will feast it up and probably have the time of his life with no down side.

I don't see any harm to body or mind in running this sort of experiment for a month and I think we will have a laugh. I hope to learn a few things about myself and my preferences in the process.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I remember doing an experiment in biology where we took our pulse rates, drank straight black coffee, waited a set time (I can't remember how long, either fifteen minutes or half an hour), and then took them again.

Mine was the only pulse rate in the class that went down, but all I remember is the trauma of having to swallow a small cup of straight black coffee. I didn't like it before, but I sure as heck wouldn't touch the stuff after that. YUCK!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

CL-La70UMAE0WDL.png

I agree with this, but I also remember how, in science class - my engaging science teacher at high school was most able to get us excited about certain concepts when he found fun ways to play around with them and demonstrate them.

We could build our own electrical models. We could grow beans and experiment with feeding them different mixtures and see which ones grew best. We could eat lots of sugar in one day and write an essay about our energy levels (he did that). We did these sort of interactive things all the time - not because our teacher was trying to publish a verifiable study, but because he was trying to open our minds to critical thinking and the idea of experimenting in order to find things out.

Yes, the teacher in the video did get a job from McDonalds down the line, but he started off as just a creative science teacher, running a fun "experiment".

I plan to run my own experiment in November, just for me. I am going to call it McVember. I have an idea of what to expect (but I am open to being surprised) and I understand that my experience will be uniquely my own and cannot be applied to anyone else. It will still be useful to me though, as I am gathering data on my own body and responses, so there is value in that for me and me alone.

My boyfriend and I are going to eat McDonalds only for a month, we will allow ourselves to drink coffee and other sodas/water/diet soda at home, but will log these. I suspect my challenge will be different to his because I eat at 1200 and it is quite tricky to fit three meals a day at McDonalds into that, without getting a little creative around what you call a meal, on occasion. I suspect I am going to find the volumes challenging and the food repetitive as there are a few items I cannot see how I could ever fit in (like shakes). I am sure I will often be hungry and I might have to do irritating things like cut burgers in half. Perhaps I am wrong. We shall see.

I suspect my boyfriend, who has 2800 calories eat (a large man maintaining) - will have a different experience. He will feast it up and probably have the time of his life with no down side.

I don't see any harm to body or mind in running this sort of experiment for a month and I think we will have a laugh. I hope to learn a few things about myself and my preferences in the process.
    Will you be tracking micros while you do it?
  • Soopatt
    Options
    Maybe I don't know what you mean @Kalikel - but this is my idea of how I will do it :

I will track what I currently track on MFP and try to stay within them as much as possible - sodium, fiber, sugar etc. I am not going to get hysterical about it as I am not hysterical about it currently - so I am not going to apply stricter rules than I would with my current way of eating - I will attempt to apply the same *rules*.

Track everything and attempt to eat to 1200 90% of the time and as a general rule - regard protein cap as a minimum. Regard fat cap as a minimum. Regard carb cap as a max. regard sugar cap as a max. Do my best to hit the fiber (I am not good at this currently). Sometimes eat too much. Sometimes eat too little. Log everything. Weigh myself every day.

In my regular plan I am happy enough if I get within 15 or 20% if I don't get them exactly right.

Again, this is for me - not trying to gather converts for the fast food nation or anything. Just amusing myself.
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Maybe I don't know what you mean @Kalikel - but this is my idea of how I will do it :

I will track what I currently track on MFP and try to stay within them as much as possible - sodium, fiber, sugar etc. I am not going to get hysterical about it as I am not hysterical about it currently - so I am not going to apply stricter rules than I would with my current way of eating - I will attempt to apply the same *rules*.

Track everything and attempt to eat to 1200 90% of the time and as a general rule - regard protein cap as a minimum. Regard fat cap as a minimum. Regard carb cap as a max. regard sugar cap as a max. Do my best to hit the fiber (I am not good at this currently). Sometimes eat too much. Sometimes eat too little. Log everything. Weigh myself every day.

In my regular plan I am happy enough if I get within 15 or 20% if I don't get them exactly right.

Again, this is for me - not trying to gather converts for the fast food nation or anything. Just amusing myself.

And I'm not looking to convert! No chance. But I'm also not looking to make fun of you. I'm genuinely curious about how low (or high) someone would go on the various vitamins and minerals if all they ate was McDonald's.

I think the MFP pro let's people track all their micros (vitamins and minerals), but don't know if you have that or not.

It sounds like a fun experiment. :)

I don't know why it quoted twice. That keeps happening to me. It wasn't intentional or smartass or anything.
  • Soopatt
    Options
    I can only really accurately track what McDonalds lists on their websites for the items, so I suppose I could add a few extra to my current list. Anything else would be a guess, so have no real value.
  • Soopatt
    Options
    I have just checked. They don't cut much deeper than what I already have, so no way to gauge vitamins and minerals. This is what is published on the website for each item :

Size
    Energy (kJ)
    Protein (g)
    Carbohydrates (g)
    Sugars (g)
    Total Fat (g)
    Saturated Fat
    Trans Fat (g)
    Dietary Fibre (g)
    Sodium (mg)
    Serving Size (g)
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Most, if not all of their stuff is on the USDA website. If you want to check it out. If not, that's cool. I doubt that I'd go through the trouble.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

"It" is the movie. It does not say, as represented in your quote, that eating at McDonald's means you "will be" eating a balanced diet. It, the movie, says you "can be."

It's a dishonest characterization.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

"It" is the movie. It does not say, as represented in your quote, that eating at McDonald's means you "will be" eating a balanced diet. It, the movie, says you "can be."

It's a dishonest characterization.

do you mean the commercial? :smile: