Looking for other pro science people on here

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm a science teacher, so I guess I qualify as being a pro-science person :) It's all about calories in vs. calories out in my opinion!
    Lol, shouldn't have to be an opinion! It's can easily proven as essential for weight loss amongst the general population. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty pro-science, but I'm absolutely 100% anti- selling me things. I love to run, I tolerate lifting, I hate protein powder, and I'm smart enough to know that you just feign interest in me to line your pockets with your MLM scheme. There. I said it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Look for people with jailbars over their avatar.
    Okay, dude I have to admit that was really funny.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I've got a PhD in toxicology, but I'll be over in the chit chat acting a fool most of the time...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I eat whole natural foods and work my butt off in the gym. Fitness, health, and longevity is a life long journey. It's a privilege and a blessing to eat good and exercise.
    But do you science or broscience?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I'm an Atheist with a degree in Religious studies, who works IT for a living and fitness as a hobby/passion. I'm all about the science. None of this broscience. Show me some studies, thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I've got a PhD in toxicology, but I'll be over in the chit chat acting a fool most of the time...
    For reals? Impressive.
    So your take on BPA's?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I failed science.
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    For reals? Impressive.
    So your take on BPA's?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

my take on most things toxicological is to back away from the edge of crazy and be rational about it.

(assuming you mean Bisphenol A there)
    I'm not going to go full bore avoiding all products containing it, but it is nice when you can avoid it. There are just immeasurable compounds that have hormone antagonistic and agonistic effects though (and some of the strongest and most relevant being natural from our diet).

I'm of the opinion that most chemicals added to foods or pertaining to foods (as addetives/modifiers) have been studied well enough that there is at worst a "risk" that is acceptable within guidelines established.

• TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yay science! Thank you for posting this. I too would love to have like-minded friends who are interested in science and research-based approaches to health and fitness. I think it's way too easy to get caught up in the lingo of the fads of the day - clean eating, non-GMO, macros, blah blah blah. I will send you a friend request. :)
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff - would you please explain what broscience is? Thanks!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I just slammed my students with the "you're not the astrological sign you think you are" this afternoon ;)

newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/horoscope-hang-up-earth-rotation-changes-zodiac-signs/

Several of them are ticked off; one girl even has a tattoo of Scorpio.... and realizes she's "actually" a Virgo.... teehee!!

Awesome!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Does this include not posting about how God blessed you with the power to lose weight? If so, add me ;)

Lol
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Look for people with jailbars over their avatar.

This made me LOL, for a stupid amount of time.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not really looking for friends at this point, but give me facts that can be falsified. Otherwise, there is no harm in admitting ignorance where understanding is not readily or easily available -- you may learn something more.
  • _John_
    Options

you need to eat 1 g/per pound body weight protein everyday and space your meals out to smaller meals every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism high.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For reals? Impressive.
    So your take on BPA's?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

my take on most things toxicological is to back away from the edge of crazy and be rational about it.

I'm not going to go full bore avoiding all products containing it, but it is nice when you can avoid it. There are just immeasurable compounds that have hormone antagonistic and agonistic effects though (and some of the strongest and most relevant being natural from our diet).

I'm of the opinion that most chemicals added to foods or pertaining to foods (as addetives/modifiers) have been studied well enough that there is at worst a "risk" that is acceptable within guidelines established.

So as a toxicologist you're pro current toxicology guidelines? How much is big toxicology paying you to agree with established science?! >:) (random smiley added to show what should be obvious sarcasm with someone on my MFP friendlist).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    @_John_ listed some examples, but it's essentially stuff that is stated as absolute fact, but is merely stuff that was stated 30 years ago without much evidence or reasoning, but has been repeated so frequently that everyone just assumes that it's true.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    For reals? Impressive.
    So your take on BPA's?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So as a toxicologist you're pro current toxicology guidelines? How much is big toxicology paying you to agree with established science?! >:) (random smiley added to show what should be obvious sarcasm with someone on my MFP friendlist).

Somehow I have a feeling a lot of posts in this thread need disclaimers...
  • _John_
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    For reals? Impressive.
    So your take on BPA's?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wish it were more, I'll put it that way ;)