Fat shaming can kill?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think this sort of research would be far more interesting if 1) they did studies that somehow dealt with the issue of overreliance on self-report found in survey studies like this and 2) looked at personality variables as moderators / mediators of this apparent effect (for example, looking at externalizing / internalizing coping styles, or trait resistance as ways to explain the relationship between perceived fat-shaming and negative health effects).

I tend to be of the belief that for some people, sure, if they perceive they are being fat-shamed, they will respond by eating more and getting fatter. Others may respond differently. On the whole, perhaps, generally, fat people will respond to feeling shame by stuffing their faces more. But I have trouble believing such an effect is universal.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    As always, I ask myself how this new information affects me personally. I don't think I can be accused of verbally fat shaming anyone ever, but it's possible that something small, like body language (averted eyes, that kind of thing) have indicated negativity. I will be more aware of my own actions/reactions IRL.

IMO, the MFP community is surprisingly good at avoiding and discouraging fat shaming in these forums. The only area I think people might want to be a little more careful in is the Success Stories forum. Occasionally I will read a congratulatory message that seems a bit too much, as though their view of the "before" was, well, very negative. Given that some of those people will regain their weight, I think we want to congratulate but choose our words wisely.

Off topic, and I apologize for this, but "intellect shaming" is the much bigger problem here. I don't understand why people have to resort to words like "moron" and "idiot" to make their point.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming we're not talking about outright name calling or abuse, which all would agree is wrong. If so, then it's possible that the simple act of looking or staring at an obese person and their shopping cart or dinner plate could easily be perceived as fat shaming even if it isn't. If someone is overly sensitive, they'll see fat shaming everywhere they look even if it's not explicit or even real.

And if it bothers them enough to make them feel bad about themselves and possibly affect their behavior negatively, that's entirely on them and can't be blamed on society whose only fault was merely looking and maybe even silently judging. Ultimately, you are responsible for how you react and feel.