'calories in-calories out' model might be flawed?

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    jerber160 wrote: »
    I heard a GREAT session on Sirius XM yesterday. It was transcendental meditation show Success Without Stress. Host Bob Roth was interviewing Dr. Peter Attia. A lot of the conversation had to do with hormones and cortisol and insulin resistance. Having gone through over a year where to just maintain my weight I had to stay under 1300 calories I'm looking for better answers. It's my opinion that CICO failed and my weight crept up since 1300 calories as maintenance is just undoable. At the beginning of my weight loss, I got from 195 to 160 with CICO then things went wrong and I'm certain my body is screwed up. I'm more active than I've ever been, I'm used to weighing and measuring carefully but this is just nuts. NO ONE REALLY KNOWS THE FULL EFFECTS OF GUT FLORA AND INSULIN RESISTANCE AND CORTISOL PRODUCTION so some of us need extra help.

I looked at a couple of weeks of your diet in August and September. You were eating around 1460.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I just glanced at the article for 30 secs. What I got from it was they were just trying to take the blame for weight gain from the individual and put it onto the environment and other external factors.

If the title of the article was "Why It's Harder to Lose Weight Now Than 130 Years Ago" it would have made more sense in my opinion.

Haven't the 3 reasons they give at the start being chemicals/pesticides, prescription drugs and antibiotics been around for a while? Its 2015, 30 years ago was 1985, the 80s weren't the stone age where people hunted and gathered for food.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I really don't see where the article does anything regarding the science behind CICO. It's more about blaming society for people gaining weight. It almost sounds like it should lead into some whack science claims about a Paleo Vegan diet or something curing it all.

As for the other debates, I for one feel there are influences which might affect the calories out part of the equation, and that is where eating certain things to excess might have some slight influence on metabolism and calorie burn. But if you burn more than you eat, you're still going to drop weight.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    People are exposed to pesticides, flame-retardants, preservatives, and other chemicals that mess with their hormones and cause them to put on fat.
    I'd really like an explanation from somebody for this common chestnut that doesn't involve mass amounts of hand-waving and expecting it to just make sense because of toxins.
    Being poisoned requires the liver to clear it. The liver is the most energetic part of the body by weight (the human brain, though not that of other animals, is on par in calorie use). Giving it more work to do seems that it could only increase calorie burn, not reduce it.
    The problem, I see it as, is a naturalistic fallacy. People think the natural state of the body is to make people normal weight, and that it happens by some mechanism beyond simple appetite. But gaining weight with more calories is actually the sign that a body is working properly. If you can eat excessive calories and not gain weight, you have some kind of illness.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My explanation is that was a whole lot of BS.
    Unless you have another situation apart from being overweight, your liver is doing its job. Your other organs are doing their jobs, too. YOU DON'T NEED A DETOX.

You say 'naturalistic fallacy' and I don't think you know what that means.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Sounds like a lot of hibity jibity to me.

It is simple, and only has 2 requirements.

1. Get butt off of couch and walk 5 miles every day.
    2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

5 miles is oddly specific.

And don't eat too much is oddly vague.

I do a lot more than 5 miles of walking every day.

And I have to watch calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Venus_Red wrote: »
    Unless you have another situation apart from being overweight, your liver is doing its job. Your other organs are doing their jobs, too. YOU DON'T NEED A DETOX.

Have you been drinking? :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Venus_Red wrote: »

Assuming you're addressing me, I think you telling me I don't know what naturalistic fallacy means says that you don't follow what I said. It looks like you looked at me mention liver and toxins and didn't catch what I was saying about them.

I'm saying that it does not make sense to claim pesticides / chemicals / toxins increase weight. I'm not saying anything at all about detox. I'm saying if you are being poisoned, the expected effect would be weight loss, not weight gain - your body would be using extra energy to have the liver remove the chemicals.

I called it a naturalistic fallacy to believe the body has a tendency to go to a normal weight and that "polluting it" causes the body to gain weight.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

5 miles is oddly specific.

Exercise is unneeded for weight loss.

I said 5 miles because its approximately 10,000 steps (at my stride).
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

FIFY.

Why did you cross out the most important one?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

FIFY.

Because it's not important at all. If you wanted to, you could lose weight never leaving your home ever (though that's not advised).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

FIFY.

I can't speak for that poster, but CICO doesn't rely on any one mechanism as more important than the other.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

FIFY.

I can't speak for that poster, but CICO doesn't rely on any one mechanism as more important than the other.

True, even if the calories out come from a sedentary lifestyle because you can't or don't want to exercise. In other words, your body burns calories no matter what you do or do not do.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    People are exposed to pesticides, flame-retardants, preservatives, and other chemicals that mess with their hormones and cause them to put on fat.
    I'd really like an explanation from somebody for this common chestnut that doesn't involve mass amounts of hand-waving and expecting it to just make sense because of toxins.
    Being poisoned requires the liver to clear it. The liver is the most energetic part of the body by weight (the human brain, though not that of other animals, is on par in calorie use). Giving it more work to do seems that it could only increase calorie burn, not reduce it.
    The problem, I see it as, is a naturalistic fallacy. People think the natural state of the body is to make people normal weight, and that it happens by some mechanism beyond simple appetite. But gaining weight with more calories is actually the sign that a body is working properly. If you can eat excessive calories and not gain weight, you have some kind of illness.

The most probable biological mechanism would be epigenetic modification of some of the cells of the hypothalamus. Possibly the presence of environmental leptin receptor antagonists, but there you're talking about finding a chemical that is not only absorbed into the bloodstream from the environment, but also crosses the blood-brain barrier.

Even an obese person's body is attempting to downregulate their eating in response to a sufficiently high fat supply. Obese people have a high amount of leptin, one of the two hormones that regulates appetite, which in non-obese people causes them to feel less hungry. The major biochemical problem with obesity seems to be leptin resistance - the fat cells of the body produce elevated levels of leptin, but the hypothalamus doesn't reduce hunger and increase satiety in response to the leptin anymore. There are a few pathways known that influence the leptin response.

Part of this may be some signal (possibly in utero or as a very young infant) that primes the body to weather starvation - if your body expects future starvation to occur, reducing the effect of leptin is a good evolutionary trait, since it promotes a higher body fat % during times of surplus, to weather the times of scarcity. If your body, however, predicts a famine that never happens, obesity is the result of a weakened leptin response.

As to toxins - it would be possible for a toxin to damage a very specific set of cells in the brain. That's known to be a cause of some cases of Parkinsonian symptoms and hypothesized to be the root cause of all cases of Parkinson's disease - which is an unusual disease in that it has very obvious and stereotypical symptoms, and yet not one medical text predating the industrial revolution discusses it at all. I don't believe anyone has identified any damage to the hypothalamus (specifically, the arcuate nucleus), though, that is commonly seen in obesity.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

FIFY.

How about you NOT turn this thread into your ever present debate that exercise is essential for weight loss, mkay??? This is not what this thread is about.

How about you NOT attack people for making a simple comment in a forum, mkay???
  • OldAssDude
    Options

2. Don't eat too much.

Problem solved.

FIFY.

Because it's not important at all. If you wanted to, you could lose weight never leaving your home ever (though that's not advised).

That's true. If you want to lose weight by diet alone, you certainly could do that, but if you burn calories through exercise, you increase your fitness level, decrease your risks of many health issues, and its extremely easy to stay within your calories.

In the past 10 months, I have lost 53 pounds, 80% of that is just from walking at least 5 miles every day. The other 20% is from bike riding, kayaking, and ball parking my calories. I basically eat the same as I always have, but I do try to eat healthier.

I recently had a checkup with my doctor. He was AWED by my improvement, and not just the weight. The way my heart and lungs sounded, and how all my cholesterol (and other blood levels) levels are fine now.

Just because I rank exercise higher, doesn't mean other people have to.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    In the past 10 months, I have lost 53 pounds, 80% of that is just from walking at least 5 miles every day. The other 20% is from bike riding, kayaking, and ball parking my calories. I basically eat the same as I always have, but I do try to eat healthier. 100% of which is from maintaining a calorie deficit.

FTFY
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    In the past 10 months, I have lost 53 pounds, 80% of that is just from walking at least 5 miles every day. The other 20% is from bike riding, kayaking, and ball parking my calories. I basically eat the same as I always have, but I do try to eat healthier. 100% of which is from maintaining a calorie deficit.

FTFY

I guess if you want to take a snippet of my post and make it sound the way you want, that's fine, but I'm going to take a doctors word over anyone else's. Especially people on this forum who have the absurd notion that calories only apply to food.

This is supposed to be a fitness forum, and I never seen so many people who discount exercise in my entire life.

Maybe some day they will rename it to MyUnFinessPal (MUFP).
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    All I did for the first year I was here was monitor my calories. As long as I stayed under my calorie goal I was fine. I lost 40 pounds. Now a days people want instant gratification. That is not how weight loss works. You didn't put that weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight.