'calories in-calories out' model might be flawed?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    TDEE has to be at least 2500 calories. Do you do a lot of exercise like running and lifting.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    i am.

Can you share details?

Are you low carbing? Or normal macros?

What are your stats, height, weight, TDEE?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just very curious :smile:

yes, very low carb. 5'4", 159#, what's TDEE?

no problem, happy to answer questions.

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The amount of calories you'd eat to maintain your weight. You can work yours out here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

How many calories are you eating a day?

Thanks for answering my questions

according to that calculator, my TDEE would be 1998. i average around 2500-3000 calories a day.

TDEE is an estimate. Yours is obviously higher than that.

how high do you presume it would be? i have lost around 20# in about 6 months (no, not all water weight - it's been slow but steady), have gained musculature, and have exercised little.

oh, and i just turned 40.

Well, depending on whether you log your intake meticulously, you could also be overestimating how much you eat. Losing at that rate gives you a small deficit, probably somewhere around 400?
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    TDEE has to be at least 2500 calories. Do you do a lot of exercise like running and lifting.

nope.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You're either eating far less than you think or you're burning enough to be at a 400-ish deficit per day.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    You're either eating far less than you think or you're burning enough to be at a 400-ish deficit per day.

i really am not. i have been eating pretty much the same thing every day for over six months. i haven't exercised much at all either. i was at first, then stopped when grad school got crazy. just now finally added a bit back (a few low pace walks, 10 min of kettlebell once or twice a week) about two weeks ago. weight loss, as i said, has been slow but steady the whole time.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    But what you saying that you can eat above your TDEE and still lose weight is impossible.
  • maidentl
    Options

i really am not. i have been eating pretty much the same thing every day for over six months. i haven't exercised much at all either. i was at first, then stopped when grad school got crazy. just now finally added a bit back (a few low pace walks, 10 min of kettlebell once or twice a week) about two weeks ago. weight loss, as i said, has been slow but steady the whole time.

Do you weigh and log everything you eat?
  • tmdalton849
    Options

no, but i know how much i eat daily (package weight) and i have logged it steadily before, so i know about what it comes in at.

it's really okay if you guys don't believe me. :-D
  • queenliz99
    Options

no, but i know how much i eat daily (package weight) and i have logged it steadily before, so i know about what it comes in at.

it's really okay if you guys don't believe me. :-D

Sorry
  • maidentl
    Options
    It's not a matter of not believing you, it's not physically possible. You're mistaken on one end or the other.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    It's not a matter of not believing you, it's not physically possible. You're mistaken on one end or the other.

(: okay
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Ah, Good ol grad school. Mind if I ask how were you getting to and from your classes? Meals? How many times per day did you go to these places?
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Ah, Good ol grad school. Mind if I ask how were you getting to and from your classes? Meals? How many times per day did you go to these places?

i drive to class. teach daily. 5 min walk from where i park (but i figured that into the TDEE calculation, in fact i even figured in the bit of exercise i currently do, even though i have only done it maybe one out of the past six months).

i eat at home, generally twice per day. some semesters i brought lunch from home, depending on my schedule.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

i drive to class. teach daily. 5 min walk from where i park (but i figured that into the TDEE calculation, in fact i even figured in the bit of exercise i currently do, even though i have only done it maybe one out of the past six months).

i eat at home, generally twice per day. some semesters i brought lunch from home, depending on my schedule.

Cool! Are you mostly at the front of the class, or do you move around working with the students?
  • tmdalton849
    Options

Cool! Are you mostly at the front of the class, or do you move around working with the students?

i am only mentoring/tutoring this semester so mainly seated. other semesters a combo of lecture/circulating, but again, i figured the appropriate level of activity into the TDEE calculation.

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So, in an ideal world. What would you like everybody to reply back to you with?

You've been given opinions based on scientific fact by various different people. You've admitted that you don't track either the exercise you do nor the foods/drinks you consume.

My suggestion to you would be to track everything from this moment on. Be meticulous with weighing.. track steps, exercise and any other general activity.

At the end of the month, factor all of this data together and if you're still managing to loose weight and you're in a definate surplus of calories then it's time to write a book and start earning some serious money about the new way to defy the human make-up.

I definately agree with others in this conversation, I think maybe you're overestimatimg your eating/drinking habits or underestimating your exercise :)
  • tmdalton849
    Options

You've been given opinions based on scientific fact by various different people. You've admitted that you don't track either the exercise you do not the foods/drinks you consume.

My suggestion to you would be to track everything from this moment on. Be meticulous with weighing.. track steps, exercise and any other general activity.

At the end of the month, factor all of this data together and if you're still managing to loose weight and you're in a definate surplus of calories then it's time to write a book and start earning some serious money about the new way to defy the human make-up.

I definately agree with others in this conversation, I think maybe you're overestimatimg your eating/drinking habits or underestimating your exercise :)

i am not really that concerned about it. (:
  • queenliz99
    Options

You've been given opinions based on scientific fact by various different people. You've admitted that you don't track either the exercise you do not the foods/drinks you consume.

No because you can't.
  • tmdalton849
    Options

No because you can't.

excuse me?
  • queenliz99
    edited October 2015
    Options

No because you can't.

excuse me?

what about folks who are not eating at a deficit and who are nevertheless losing weight (fat, specifically)?

And you said "I am."

You need to explain this because you can't defy science.