Article of a Women's Journey With Anorexia and Orthorexia that Almost Killed Her

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If we could get back on topic and stop talking about parenting, thanks. It's a divisive topic and I'd appreciate my thread not going down that road.

And the article actually highlighted that those who eat healthy with stringent and rigid rules can turn into orthorexia, etc. Right there in the beginning from the mouth of the woman who experienced it. Is it common, no...but it is something that can happen. The idea of everything having to fit into such a rigid criteria for what constitutes healthy can lead to a really bad place.

I think it's maybe that vulnerable people who diet can fall into an ED? Last time I read about this, perfectionist daughters (often from affluent families as well), particularly those who have mothers with body image issues, and take on a diet , are the prototypical ED sufferer. I think any restrictive diet (including one that only restricts calories) could trigger it in someone vulnerable enough.

Geez, you just described my best friend from high school perfectly. The sad thing is, her treatment taught her that nothing was her fault, "her mother made her that way." We ended up parting ways and it broke my heart but there was nothing I could do, it was her choice. I did run into her a few years ago though, she was at a healthy weight, married, with two kids. It was good to see that she was one of the ones who made it.

Sorry to hear your friend suffered from this, and glad she's ok now.

Yeah, that is the profile*, based on studies. For anorexia nervosa. I think it's slightly different for bulimia (can't exactly recall that one as neatly).

*also athletes, especially in gymnastics, dance; sports where weight classes matter (eg rowing) or there's a preference for a particular body type (gymnastics etc again)
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If we could get back on topic and stop talking about parenting, thanks. It's a divisive topic and I'd appreciate my thread not going down that road.

And the article actually highlighted that those who eat healthy with stringent and rigid rules can turn into orthorexia, etc. Right there in the beginning from the mouth of the woman who experienced it. Is it common, no...but it is something that can happen. The idea of everything having to fit into such a rigid criteria for what constitutes healthy can lead to a really bad place.

I think it's maybe that vulnerable people who diet can fall into an ED? Last time I read about this, perfectionist daughters (often from affluent families as well), particularly those who have mothers with body image issues, and take on a diet , are the prototypical ED sufferer. I think any restrictive diet (including one that only restricts calories) could trigger it in someone vulnerable enough.
    A person who is prone to that particular type of mental illness is likely to set up rigid rules and seriously restrict their calories. They don't all have rules, but it's not uncommon.

Dieting doesn't make a healthy person anorexic. Eating healthy food doesn't make a healthy person orthorexic. Exercising doesn't make a healthy person bulimic. Lifting weights doesn't make a person develop muscle dysmorphia.

Most people can eat healthy, lose weight, lift weights and exercise without developing a mental illness.

Right, that's what I read. Dieting can be a trigger, though, in someone vulnerable.

(Is there some misunderstanding? I've never had an ED - by "rules" I meant your typical "clean eating" rules that get thrown around and are basically good sense for most people imo.)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options

A person who is prone to that particular type of mental illness is likely to set up rigid rules and seriously restrict their calories. They don't all have rules, but it's not uncommon.

Dieting doesn't make a healthy person anorexic. Eating healthy food doesn't make a healthy person orthorexic. Exercising doesn't make a healthy person bulimic. Lifting weights doesn't make a person develop muscle dysmorphia.

Most people can eat healthy, lose weight, lift weights and exercise without developing a mental illness.

Perhaps the mental illness was already present, but not manifested, and something "clicked" when the diet/restricted eating began?
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Geez, you just described my best friend from high school perfectly. The sad thing is, her treatment taught her that nothing was her fault, "her mother made her that way." We ended up parting ways and it broke my heart but there was nothing I could do, it was her choice. I did run into her a few years ago though, she was at a healthy weight, married, with two kids. It was good to see that she was one of the ones who made it.

Yeah, that is the profile, based on studies. For anorexia nervosa. I think it's slightly different for bulimia (can't exactly recall that one as neatly).

This is an internet forum about diet and no one should be seeking help about a mental health issue from a crowd-sourced, rarely moderated group.

Disordered eating is not the same as AN or even Bulimia - can the mods please handle these posts?
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Venus_Red wrote: »

Yeah, that is the profile, based on studies. For anorexia nervosa. I think it's slightly different for bulimia (can't exactly recall that one as neatly).

This is an internet forum about diet and no one should be seeking help about a mental health issue from a crowd-sourced, rarely moderated group.

Disordered eating is not the same as AN or even Bulimia - can the mods please handle these posts?

? Is anyone looking for help on here about an ED?

shell1005 posited that the clean eating diet was an important factor in the development of this person's ED

I argued that it was probably predisposing factors, which the author talked about

I later talked about how useful "clean eating" was for me, because I am NOT vulnerable

No one in this thread has asked for help with an ED
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Right, that's what I read. Dieting can be a trigger, though, in someone vulnerable.

(Is there some misunderstanding? I've never had an ED - by "rules" I meant your typical "clean eating" rules that get thrown around and are basically good sense for most people imo.)
    Excessive with the "clean" and not necessarily using that word. There are all manner of self-imposed rules designed to create a sense of control. Control is a huge part of these EDs for many people. Some create many, many rules about what they can eat, when they can eat, how, where, etc.

I'm glad that more people are open to the idea that it's more about control and obsessiveness than it is about weight and food. It's becoming more the standard that the, "Hmmm, wonder if there is any truth to that?" idea.

I'll be even happier when they remove that picture (of the skinny seeing an obese one in the mirror) from the textbooks, lol. It's still there! I just got a book that came out this year with that pic in it. They're obsessive, not delusional. They don't think they're obese. They just think that the itty bitty bit of fat on their body must go.

I've been lucky enough to work long-term care with anorexics, so I got to chat with them at follow-ups six and twelve months after they began recovery. I listen and I hear and I remember. I ask questions. I believe people when they talk about their struggles.

But I've never had an ED and never suffered or had to fight through the hell myself.

I pray for every one of those girls every night of my life.

Dieting can trigger. I'm in the "Once an anorexic, always an anorexic!" camp that thinks dieting must be approached with caution for life. Many former anorexics agree, but some don't.

I think it's as much a trigger as booze is for the alcoholic, BUT not everyone agrees. I could be wrong.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

No one is seeking help, but rather people are discussing an article. No need for anyone to step in and moderate.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Except no one here is diagnosing anyone and no one here is asking for help. So . . . not sure what your beef is?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I read this woman's account of focusing on her health and how the strict rules became pathological for her. I don't think everyone who gets all CLEAN EATING WHOLE FOODS focused will have this almost fatal outcome, however I found it interesting.

I also found the article interesting since she talked some about the recovery and treatment of her eating/exercising disorders.

http://www.self.com/wellness/health/2015/03/care-too-much-about-healthy-eating/

Oh...wow. What an incredible lady she is. I am so glad she found the help she needed.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Excessive with the "clean" and not necessarily using that word. There are all manner of self-imposed rules designed to create a sense of control. Control is a huge part of these EDs for many people. Some create many, many rules about what they can eat, when they can eat, how, where, etc.

I'm glad that more people are open to the idea that it's more about control and obsessiveness than it is about weight and food. It's becoming more the standard that the, "Hmmm, wonder if there is any truth to that?" idea.

I'll be even happier when they remove that picture (of the skinny seeing an obese one in the mirror) from the textbooks, lol. It's still there! I just got a book that came out this year with that pic in it. They're obsessive, not delusional. They don't think they're obese. They just think that the itty bitty bit of fat on their body must go.

I've been lucky enough to work long-term care with anorexics, so I got to chat with them at follow-ups six and twelve months after they began recovery. I listen and I hear and I remember. I ask questions. I believe people when they talk about their struggles.

But I've never had an ED and never suffered or had to fight through the hell myself.

Dieting can trigger. I'm in the "Once an anorexic, always an anorexic!" camp that thinks dieting must be approached with caution for life. Many former anorexics agree, but some don't.

I think it's as much a trigger as booze is for the alcoholic, BUT not everyone agrees. I could be wrong.

I bet you've helped a lot of them :)

Re obsession vs. delusion - is this also true for someone who's gotten to quite a critical stage? I know there might be some general cognitive impairments at that point, but e.g. thinking of some of the people who've gotten media attention for their illness (ordinary people who got famous because of being so very ill, not celebrities who became ill while famous), it's hard to imagine some kind of delusion not being part of it :/

It seems very difficult, indeed.

(I've only read about EDs; I know someone who struggled with bulimia, but that's it.)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I bet you've helped a lot of them :)

Re obsession vs. delusion - is this also true for someone who's gotten to quite a critical stage? I know there might be some general cognitive impairments at that point, but e.g. thinking of some of the people who've gotten media attention for their illness (ordinary people who got famous because of being so very ill, not celebrities who became ill while famous), it's hard to imagine some kind of delusion not being part of it :/

It seems very difficult, indeed.

(I've only read about EDs; I know someone who struggled with bulimia, but that's it.)
    I try to help. But if anyone succeeded, it was their doing and not mine.

Most anorexics have Body Dysmorphic Disorder and don't really see how sickly they look. They're too focused on the tiny bit of fat (the thing keeping them alive that they believe needs to go and go now!) to see how deathly thin they've become. They do not, however, see themselves as obese. Not one single person ever thought they were obese. Even in as deep a denial as they might go, if you asked them if they were obese, they would say that they weren't.

That picture needs to go. It gives anorexics the idea that the experts don't understand them. It gives healthy people the idea that anorexics are delusional. It serves no good purpose. They will get rid of it some day. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Who's cutting onions in here?
    *sniff* I'm glad that she had help and support!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Focusing on quality food can greatly help people who aren't vulnerable to EDs to improve their nutrition (and health) and diet adherence, because eating that way promotes satiety, for many.

Food "rules" relating to quality (protein, veg, dairy, nuts, beans, whole grains, some fruit) definitely helped me simplify my approach to food prep and cooking, and it kept me on track. (As in 80% on track. I'm not at risk of ever eating too little or having complex feels about McDonald's. My gain was mostly related to eating out all the time instead of cooking, and not really thinking about the portion sizes.)

Needs2Exercise made a great point about this recently, though. The nutrition guidelines talk in terms of reducing or limiting certain foods or increasing others. NOT about eliminating as being necessary to nutrition. If people start thinking that eating ANY of particular foods is unhealthy, that may mean it's not really about nutrition, but some stigma they have attached to the food--which IMO could be a negative sign, although it's not always.

This is why I think shifting the discussion to actual nutrition concerns is never a bad idea.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    We had an interesting thread on Orthorexia a while back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10185722/orthorexia/
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

? Is anyone looking for help on here about an ED?

shell1005 posited that the clean eating diet was an important factor in the development of this person's ED

I argued that it was probably predisposing factors, which the author talked about

I later talked about how useful "clean eating" was for me, because I am NOT vulnerable

No one in this thread has asked for help with an ED

I don't think @shell1005 made any assumptions about "clean eating" itself having any causal factor to people developing orthorexia. I think it's disingenuous to try to make it out as though she was pointing the finger at clean eating when the OP clearly states otherwise.

From what I understand about eating disorders, backed up by this woman's particular experience, it is often times about control. Using clean eating to control all aspects of your life is the problem, not clean eating itself.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Great post !
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, made me a little teary eyed too... Or maybe just fumes from the ghost-pepper I just cut up and put in my chili? Anyway, thanks for sharing, shell.

I actually thought the parenting in cases of folks with eating disorders was right on topic. Her mom rocks, in this scenario (totally way to go there), and the article did mention the fact that her father was diagnosed with Orthorexia as well. This family has an amazing story, and I"m glad they all came through it and got the help they need.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks! I'm meeting more and more people who really are taking healthy food deal WAY over the edge.

So this article reminds me..........probably dealing with an eating disorder.