Please help me understand weight loss and nutrition

Options
12346»

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What is one of the first things people do when they find out they have cancer, they change the the foods they eat from processed to organic. And to be frank the raw food diet has an amazing affect on the body. Food is medicine.

Now, you can keep eating the processed stuff if you want to, and sometimes I get weak at the knees and imbibe...it does taste good (and there is a reason for that) but I know it's not the prime way to feed this organisim LONG TERM without some dire results.

...and I don't eat everything organic....but I for real am putting a halt to the eating all things sourced out of a chem lab.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    BogdanMih wrote: »
    Dont eat everything you want, a calorie deficit is not enough as long as you're still eating proccesed food. Here's my advice: Start eating good home cooked meals rich in protein as well as fats and carbs. Reduce sugar intake to almost none or at least 5-6 tspoons/day. Eat fruits. And one personal advice that I recommend when one wants to loose weight fast: use intermittent fasting. Google it, research it and apply it. Youre gonna feel great and you are gonna loose weight, trust me! Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too. Good luck!

...No. You don't need to cut out processed food, or reduce sugar. And you don't need intermittent fasting (I know you didn't say you need it, just saying). You just need a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight perfectly easily eating those things you've said to cut out.

^^^^^ This
  • lpadancer
    lpadancer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think the 'clean eating' label is a misguided symbol of pridefulness for some. I often see it being used while referencing 'cheat' days/meals, exceptions to individualized yet muddy rules, etc. While I'm sure this works great for some to drop weight, I don't think it is a good idea to develop a binary of good/bad, clean/unclean...especially for those losing weight. What happens when you want to reintroduce those foods that have been deemed 'unclean'? Do you feel guilty for doing it? Are you able to do it in moderation? And maybe right now you think you will 'eat clean' forever. But how did you eat before losing the weight? What happens absent the novelty of the scale going down and rapid beginner fitness/strength gains? I am really wondering what the thought process is because, to me, it seems unsustainable and ultimately guilt inducing.

I'd prefer to not demonize any foods. That's not to say I don't focus on filling my macros with fresh/basic ingredients--this I do most of the time. I just don't feel at all bad for rounding out my calories with ice cream or whatever else I have always enjoyed. I think this realistic approach it will serve me well through the rest of my weight loss and into maintenance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I never said all day in my sentence, but here is the copy and paste version from my OP - "nice strawman argument about people wanting to eat pizza and cookies and not be healthy." yes, it is a strawman argument because no one is saying eat pizza and disregard nutrition. The argument is that you can eat pizza and make it a part of an overall healthy diet.

So these people at the gym that you know gave you a run down of every single food they consume over an average week???

My point is that there are plenty of people in the gym who eat pizza, twinkies, etc, and have no issue with their fitness level. The implication of your post is that if you eat those foods that ones gym performance will somehow be less than adequate to someone that eats "clean" foods, which is utterly ridiculous. Layne Norton can squat over 500 pounds and I am pretty sure he eats pizza and twinkies as part of his overall diet.

Yes, you did say "all day". Look at the quote in my post.... I took that before you edited your post...

Actually, yes, these people at the gym do give me a run down of every single food they consume. It's called the MFP Food Diary.

Did I ever say never eat pizza? Did I ever say never eat twinkies? Or Cookies? No, I did not.

I am saying WHAT WORKs FOR ME is that it is easier to stay within my calorie count which makes it easier for me to get healthy, loose fat, look better, and loose weight, by not eating pizza, twinkies and cookies. See what it say WHAT WORKS FOR ME????? Also note that I never, ever said that I never eat these things.

nope, never said all day. Anyone can go back and read my original post and I clearly did not edit it.

Way to move the goalposts. You said "people in your gym" and now you are saying people on your "MFP friend list" slight difference.

and I am still waiting on your justification as to how a clean eater would have superior gym performance over a non clean eater…..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    burns429 wrote: »
    What is one of the first things people do when they find out they have cancer, they change the the foods they eat from processed to organic. And to be frank the raw food diet has an amazing affect on the body. Food is medicine.

Now, you can keep eating the processed stuff if you want to, and sometimes I get weak at the knees and imbibe...it does taste good (and there is a reason for that) but I know it's not the prime way to feed this organisim without some dire results.

NOPE. My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer March 2014. Only diet change he made: no more eggs over easy (runny, raw yoke) and medium steaks. The one huge change to his body: 6 weeks of daily chemo and radiation, you know, poison used to kill the body's cells. A year and half later (and a couple surgeries) he's cancer free thanks to his doctors and their "chemicals". No way in hell eating organic would have removed his cancer...
    Eating organic food will not cure cancer, no matter what that slimeball who wrote the paleo book said.

A healthy diet may prevent cancer, though. Many cancers have strong ties to diets. If we eat healthy, we have a better shot at avoiding heart disease and some cancers, as well as other diseases.

I'm very glad for both your dad and you that he's better. :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A few people here do have a point... If someone comes in with a view point that doesn't match the mob mentality they get utterly crucified. It's really disheartening and frustrating to watch :disappointed:

I personally respect everyone's viewpoint and the way they choose to live their life, nutritionally speaking, and I certainly will not argue with someone who chooses a more natural eating path..
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about a calorie deficit. One pound is 3,500 calories, so if you cut out 500 calories per day, you'll lose one pound in a week.

How you go about that calorie deficit is totally up to you, but some ways are healthier than others.

For example, say to lose a pound a week, you need to eat 1300 calories per day. So you eat some donuts for breakfast, and stop by McD's for lunch. You log your calories and realize you've already eating 1250 calories, and you're only halfway through the day. So you skip dinner. You go to the gym and burn 100 calories. You earned yourself a scoop of ice cream. By nighttime, it takes a LOT of self control to go to bed hungry. You will still lose weight eating donuts and Big Macs, but you won't be very happy doing it.

I see it all the time on MFP- people fighting off the urge to eat at the end of the day. People think "dieting" has to be this miserable experience where you are constantly fighting food. But it doesn't have to be that way.

When you start thinking about the types of foods you are eating, everything changes. When you substitute whole grains for refined ones, they break down more slowly, keeping you fuller longer. Eating more fiber (vegetables!!) also helps with this. Eating foods with low glycemic index (how quickly it turns into sugar in your blood) will help you avoid sugar rushes, which lead to hunger when you crash.

So, it's up to you how you lose the weight- but I promise you you'll be a lot happier the healthier you eat. I've noticed this in my personal life. I'm on a maintenance plan, at 1830 calories, but always end the day several hundred calories short, because the types of foods I'm eating don't cause me to feel deprived and hungry at the end of the day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

That's not exceptions. They ate less calories so they lost. That's to be expected.

And a food "not being healthy" does not mean it's gonna make you sick or unhealthy. Water is not healthy. It just exists.

True, they did loose, and their heart numbers improved, but since it's not a valid study, it hard to tell what the long term health impacts of eating twinkies or Big Mac's every day will have on the body. I just can't imagine that's good for the body in the long term, in my opinion. I'm not willing to try it to see.

I do disagree with you water is not healthy, but that's a discussion for another thread... :)

So you're saying your N=1 is better than the other guy's N=1.
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    I just must say my little opinion about conversation between guys at the beginning of the thread...

So! Eating at calorie deficit makes you loose weight. Simple as that. Eat less then you burn and you loose weight. BUT!!! This is not enough. You also need to cover the nutrition for your body. It's hell of a difference eat lets say grilled turkey with rice and salad and bag of candies!!!

+ I am totally up for cutting sugar completely! There is plenty of it in fruit and foods rich ich carbohydrates.
  • 19gabriela01
    Options
    @lisaloolovesblue
    Losing weight is all about a calorie deficit. One pound is 3,500 calories, so if you cut out 500 calories per day, you'll lose one pound in a week.

How you go about that calorie deficit is totally up to you, but some ways are healthier than others.

For example, say to lose a pound a week, you need to eat 1300 calories per day. So you eat some donuts for breakfast, and stop by McD's for lunch. You log your calories and realize you've already eating 1250 calories, and you're only halfway through the day. So you skip dinner. You go to the gym and burn 100 calories. You earned yourself a scoop of ice cream. By nighttime, it takes a LOT of self control to go to bed hungry. You will still lose weight eating donuts and Big Macs, but you won't be very happy doing it.

I see it all the time on MFP- people fighting off the urge to eat at the end of the day. People think "dieting" has to be this miserable experience where you are constantly fighting food. But it doesn't have to be that way.

When you start thinking about the types of foods you are eating, everything changes. When you substitute whole grains for refined ones, they break down more slowly, keeping you fuller longer. Eating more fiber (vegetables!!) also helps with this. Eating foods with low glycemic index (how quickly it turns into sugar in your blood) will help you avoid sugar rushes, which lead to hunger when you crash.

So, it's up to you how you lose the weight- but I promise you you'll be a lot happier the healthier you eat. I've noticed this in my personal life. I'm on a maintenance plan, at 1830 calories, but always end the day several hundred calories short, because the types of foods I'm eating don't cause me to feel deprived and hungry at the end of the day.

^^^ T H I S ^^^
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just must say my little opinion about conversation between guys at the beginning of the thread...

So! Eating at calorie deficit makes you loose weight. Simple as that. Eat less then you burn and you loose weight. BUT!!! This is not enough. You also need to cover the nutrition for your body. It's hell of a difference eat lets say grilled turkey with rice and salad and bag of candies!!!

+ I am totally up for cutting sugar completely! There is plenty of it in fruit and foods rich ich carbohydrates.

Thank you for providing the perfect example of what I stated earlier upthread:
    The problem is that many "clean eating" fanatics suffer from binary thinking. They apparently can't grasp the possibility that one could eat in moderation - you're either 100% "clean" with nothing but organic vegetables, rainwater collected by hand from the Himalayas and unicorn poop, or you're sitting around stuffing your face with Twinkies, pizza and TV dinners all day, every day. It's one or the other, there couldn't possibly be any middle ground.

Because there's no possible way somebody could eat grilled turkey with rice, then have a few candies for dessert. Nooooo. Or that they could eat lean meats, fruits, vegetables and whole grains 80% - 90% of the time and indulge in whatever they want (staying within their caloric deficit) the other 10% - 20% of the time. Ab-so-lute-ly not. It's an either/or thing to many people - either you're a clean eater 100% of the time or you eat nothing but junk 100% of the time.

I'm not up for cutting *anything* completely out of my diet. I eat the same things I've eaten my entire life - just a lot less of some of them, and a lot less often. Again, context and dosage matter.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    A few people here do have a point... If someone comes in with a view point that doesn't match the mob mentality they get utterly crucified. It's really disheartening and frustrating to watch :disappointed:

I personally respect everyone's viewpoint and the way they choose to live their life, nutritionally speaking, and I certainly will not argue with someone who chooses a more natural eating path..

sorry, but correcting false information about "evil processed food" does not equal getting crucified.

OP asked for help in understand weight loss and nutrition and some tried to over complicate it.

eat in a calorie deficit
    hit micros and get sufficient nutrition
    hit macros
    find a form of exercise and do it
    realize that food is not evil

end thread/
  • ndj1979
    Options

and no one in this thread said that OP should not get adequate nutrition.

what if you eat grilled turkey with rice and candy in your day? Does the sugar negate the turkey?
  • ndj1979
    Options

if you are on a maintenance plan of 1830 and you don't hit 1830 calories then you are not in maintenance.

So you also avoid protein, because insulin spikes, right?

I never understand this all or neither mentality. Why can't you have a diet of vegetables, chicken, rice, donuts, and some ice cream as long as you hit micros and macros?

I just ate eight oreos and I am in my calorie, macro, and micro target for the day, did the oreos make my day unhealthy????
  • mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    [quote="lynn_glenmont;34350489"

So you're saying your N=1 is better than the other guy's N=1.[/quote]

Not saying that at all. I think you misunderstand the point of that post.

• 19gabriela01
    edited October 2015
    Options

what if you eat grilled turkey with rice and candy in your day? Does the sugar negate the turkey?

@ndj1979 lol candy doesn't negate turkey :D in my opinion is that sugar just not necessary... today I had a chocolate bar and few haribos. Still under my calorie allowance but I could be without them too
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

@ndj1979 lol candy doesn't negate turkey :D in my opinion is that sugar just not necessary

Do you think we have an obligation to avoid that which isn't necessary?
  • ndj1979
    Options

@ndj1979 lol candy doesn't negate turkey :D in my opinion is that sugar just not necessary... today I had a chocolate bar and few haribos. Still under my calorie allowance but I could be without them too

not necessary does not equal bad