• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »

PSA: From a microbiology perspective hamburger generally shouldn't be eaten medium rare. Since the meat is ground up you are at a higher chance of developing food borne illness since the meat that can potentially be exposed to pathogens is all ground up together as opposed to a steak where it's only the outside which even a rare or medium rare the exposed part is cooked.

I honestly didn't know that. Thanks for the PSA!

I didn't either...I always have mine medium rare!

While true, I'm a microbiologist and I order my hamburgers medium rare. The risk is greater, but it is not all that much greater if the meat is handled and prepared properly (use judgement here). I think it's worth it for a burger I actually want to eat. I say this as someone who has had a really bad case of food poisoning (from a salad, not a burger).

Mind you, I'm healthy - if my immune system were suppressed for some reason I'd get them well done.

As long as it's ah educated risk. Lots of factors at play with food borne illness! Based off large scale farming practices I'd say close to never as for best practice meat handling. They don't spray meat with ammonia hydroxide for no reason lol ;)

Considering the amount of contamination present in many small-scale farms, I wish some of them would do the same. Some small-scale farms are very careful in their practices. Others are not so much. And since many small-scale farms don't have their product regularly tested for contamination like the large-scale operations do it's difficult to tell which is which until it's too late.

Honestly, I trust large-scale farms in that regard more than small-scale farms in the absence of any other information.

Anyway, when I say proper handling, I mean that the establishment (whether that's the grocery store, a restaurant, or an individual) has stored the meat at the proper temperature and for a short amount of time, kept their cooking/prep surfaces and tools clean, washed their hands properly and frequently, etc.

That's why I would not order a medium rare burger at a fast food place or the fair even if it were available - inconsistent food safety practices. On the other hand, at an established and apparently clean and well-run restaurant (bonus points if I can see into the kitchen)? I'll take that risk.

Yours to take
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My mum has always, always tasted raw mince when she's making hamburgers. Not just a tiny taste either. She's never got sick from it
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My mum has always, always tasted raw mince when she's making hamburgers. Not just a tiny taste either. She's never got sick from it

My mom tastes raw meat when she is seasoning it too.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If I don't like the food I will spit it out to not waste the calories, but never spit it out if I do like it. I will also smell things I like enough that I feel like I know what it would taste like, so I don't have to eat it. If that's weird I don't really care.
  • healthyrachel1979
    healthyrachel1979 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    @healthyrachel1979 Every one of the things you posted here and every response have totally made my whole day! LOL

Thank ya! Altho not quite sure why my first comment was deleted but whatevs.

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

That's awesome she hasn't! Her experience doesn't however negate that there is risk in developing food borne illness from raw and undercooked meats. For example, I've never been in a car wreck but plenty of people have that's why I wear a seat belt though my anecdotal evidence is that I've never been in one why bother? Same concept. Regardless this is off topic from OP, sorry OP!