Oh Canada

Options

Replies

• lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Why does the rest of Canada seem to hate Toronto? I know I dislike the city...but I'd love to hear why others do?

I don't know that it's necessarily that they hate Toronto but dislike the idea of going there (traffic, feeling unsafe etc)
    Toronto offers alot of attractions but I would not feel safe living there. I blame the news coverage, always so negative
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Rude American baseball player.
  • synchkat
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    Why does the rest of Canada seem to hate Toronto? I know I dislike the city...but I'd love to hear why others do?

I don't know that it's necessarily that they hate Toronto but dislike the idea of going there (traffic, feeling unsafe etc)
    Toronto offers alot of attractions but I would not feel safe living there. I blame the news coverage, always so negative

I think the safety is a big thing. Maybe people are intimidated by a big city? I don't know I live in Toronto and while I don't go downtown a lot I never feel unsafe. I mean I avoid the sketchy areas but I know lots of people that live in those areas and are perfectly happy
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    Not just American, a Texan

Surprising??? LOL

• synchkat
    Options

typical, they're pretty smarmy
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

He's from Venezuela...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Toronto is like the Canadian version of New York, and Montreal, Paris. New Yorkers don't seem to much care about the rest of the country. Why need they? New York has everything. Toronto can come off like that too.

I have lived in Toronto but spent most my life in western Canada, both in urban and rural settings.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    wasnt the election last year?
    im glad the conservatives didnt win, though our elections are never as entertaining as the US, i think we need to step it up
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    lisa9805 wrote: »

I think the safety is a big thing. Maybe people are intimidated by a big city? I don't know I live in Toronto and while I don't go downtown a lot I never feel unsafe. I mean I avoid the sketchy areas but I know lots of people that live in those areas and are perfectly happy

I adore Toronto. I go downtown all the time, including walking through some of the "sketchy" areas. There have been a few times when I have been a little uncomfortable (it's hard to face the homeless), but I can't recall feeling unsafe. Massey Hall is one of my favourite concert venues, the shopping is incredible, Jays games, Rogers Cup, the new aquarium, the CN Tower, the restaurants, I could go on and on. I don't even find driving there to be intimidating. Drivers are generally courteous. Versus New York where we sat like a rock in a river trying to inch forward among a sea of aggressive drivers towards the Lincoln Tunnel.

• synchkat
    Options
    Funny you say about the driving. My parents hate driving with me when up where they live north of the city. I'm too much an aggressive city driver...sadly I'm pretty meek compared to most real city drivers.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Downtown T.O is something you have to see. So many strange birds doing all kinds of goofy things. Thank-god they have HW 407 so I can zip away from the 401 parking lot. I would pay double what they charge to avoid that traffic... :)
  • synchkat
    Options
    life

z6scbmhtcc95.jpg
    p6do374o22z8.jpg

That's not right. Normal people don't eat bear peanut butter @Iguessicandothis

No one said Canadians are normal
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This Canadian girl is late to the party....
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    life

z6scbmhtcc95.jpg
    p6do374o22z8.jpg

ammmericans just salty cause their peanut butter is absolute trash ;)
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    life

z6scbmhtcc95.jpg
    p6do374o22z8.jpg

ammmericans just salty cause their peanut butter is absolute trash ;)
    Peanut butter sucks. Slows metabolic rate.

Almond Butter FTW

• ExileFromTheNorth
    ExileFromTheNorth Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    what happened to @Iguessicandothis ?
    Is she still on the forum?