talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Abbye "Pudgy" Stockton
    935368_540363896010195_1388280675_n.jpg

What a babe! She's my height too. And I reckon my build if I remove some of my lingering fat. Good inspiration for my lifting session later today.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Abbye "Pudgy" Stockton
    935368_540363896010195_1388280675_n.jpg

What a babe! She's my height too. And I reckon my build if I remove some of my lingering fat. Good inspiration for my lifting session later today.

Loved all the pics but she is my fav too. I love her legs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

The other day, I was carrying a tote of camping supplies to the car and my brother-in-law insisted upon taking it from me. I let him, because he was trying to be nice, but not because I needed him to. It's awesome to be able to handle your own business, lift your own groceries, kids, pets, furniture, etc with ease.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    As a farmer - women that cant lift at least one 50lb feed sack at at time = pointless. :tongue:

Sure, if you're hiring women to lift your feed sacks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!!!

I am working my way up on the machines and then going to learn how to lift free weights correctly, I can't wait!

Meh, just learn the free weights. That way you don't have to unlearn the machines (and you don't hurt yourself trying to go from 70lbs on the machine to 70lbs on the free weights).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    As a farmer - women that cant lift at least one 50lb feed sack at at time = pointless. :tongue:

Traditionally, on a farm, the wife helps the husband do at least some of the work. Small family farms require that everyone work to keep them running. I know a lot of farm wives that can haul feed sacks and hay bales like it's nothing.
  • gooteek
    gooteek Posts: 64
    Options
    Never met a woman lifter that had a problem finding clothes that made them look incredible...the heaviest lifting woman cannot exceed her genetic patterns for size unless she uses steroids. Lifters will only attain the best muscle and fitness rendered by their genetics and everyone has a good genetic make up for being fit and lean, it is only poor diet choices and lack of exercise and lifting that contribute to anything less than desirable conditions.

Frank Zane has won Mr. Olympia many times, but always trained with both lifting and cardio exercise each day...he focused on building lean muscle mass over time with a lean diet and massive heavy lifting. Look at his picture on my profile to see that he only developed a lean Olympian body. His genetic pattern was not to be big and bulky, so it took years of heavy lifting and lean dieting to get to be Mr. Olympia. He is lean and healthy and met his best genetic extremes of fitness through years of hard work and dedicated diet. It is a lifestyle...not a quick fix diet or 90 day exercise program.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Traditionally, on a farm, the wife helps the husband do at least some of the work. Small family farms require that everyone work to keep them running. I know a lot of farm wives that can haul feed sacks and hay bales like it's nothing.

I'm aware of that. I'm suggesting that women who can't lift 50 pound feed sacks are not pointless, unless the only reason for having someone around is lifting those sacks.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    OK at least this thread was kinda cool to look at, but seriously I think I see maybe 1 thread/week from a woman with this concern, and at least 25/week by someone trying to tell that one chick how it just won't happen. #obsession

One a week? I see....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025714-squats-and-big-booties (This glourious cluster...)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1026904-bulky-legs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027189-arms-got-bigger-from-lifting (Though in her defense the OP didn't mind the bigger arms, but a few other people did pop up with the "I agree, oh noes" train)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025133-best-way-for-a-female-to-build-muslce (I don't wanna look like a bodybuilder but...)

From the last 20 hours.

So those threads and that attitude with women is what made this trainer categorize me and give me a long speech about how I have to build muscle, etc. He was horrible. Automatically assumed that since I am a woman I don't know I need to build muscle. I am so not using him.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I'm a climber, and I have a friend that purposefully doesn't climb on harder stuff because she is afraid she's going to get "bulky". She purposefully dampers her climbing ability because of what the boys will think of her.

I say she's missing out on improving in a very fun sport, all because of stupid social stigma that isn't even true. sheesh. I'm so sick of females not living up to the best of their abilities because of what some insecure boys will think!

this is really sad :cry: hope she learns to view other people's insecurity for what it is and goes on to fulfill all her potential in the face of everyone who'd try to bring her down to their level...

Everyone likes dainty little women who lift heavy and get strong, however women who really have heavier, stronger builds can have a tough time. Not wanting to get bulky sometimes means "I already have 140 pounds of lean body mass, and I'm 5'2"."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I've always loved fit women, going all the way back to Rachel McLish days. The first Ms. Olympia!

RachelMcLish2.jpg
    This was when women's bodybuilding was really cool. Hate to say that when Cory Everson (even though much less muscular than today's females) set the trend to being bigger with some "enhancement".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this!

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've always loved fit women, going all the way back to Rachel McLish days. The first Ms. Olympia!

RachelMcLish2.jpg

I love this picture with her awesome early 80s hair.

There's a bit of survivor's bias here. Although I personally am not crazy about the overly muscled look (for either sex). McLish looks good. But she has the kind of build that looks good when developed by weights. Not everyone does. As an analogy, if you want to look like a ballerina and don't have the kind of body type typical of a professional ballerina, you aren't going to look like one.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    But seriously. My younger sister is 4. She weighs like...twenty pounds and likes to jump off of tables onto my back/into my arms. Lifting things lighter than that isn't going to cut it.

Dang, your sister only weighs 20 pounds?! My 4-year old weighs almost 45!!! :D And yes, she still wants to be carried, too.... along w/ my 25-pound 2 year old. Muscles FTW!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Speaking of holding children...

I have 3 kids, ages 6, 5 and 3. After I had my last kid, my oldest was 4. She's kind of a solid built kid (not fat but solid, heavier than she looks). It was getting really hard to carry her. I started to try to explain to her that she was getting to heavy to be picked up or carried, or thrown around, etc. I got back into heavy lifting soon after that... Yeah, she's almost 7 now, weighs about 60lbs. I can carry her now problem and even lift her up into the air over my head.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    But seriously. My younger sister is 4. She weighs like...twenty pounds and likes to jump off of tables onto my back/into my arms. Lifting things lighter than that isn't going to cut it.

Dang, your sister only weighs 20 pounds?! My 4-year old weighs almost 45!!! :D And yes, she still wants to be carried, too.... along w/ my 25-pound 2 year old. Muscles FTW!

She did last time I saw her, which admittedly was last summer. I may have been understating her weight. So...20+whatever reasonable weight gain for a child her age in a year is.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    awesome post!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I'm aware of that. I'm suggesting that women who can't lift 50 pound feed sacks are not pointless, unless the only reason for having someone around is lifting those sacks.
    You mean there's other reasons to keep teh womens around?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Still in love with heavy weight lifting Christmas:
    1017575_10151684014231075_2012048732_n.jpg
    554743_10151031591466075_1238780670_n.jpg