Any tips on fighting a sweet tooth after dinner?

I always get cravings for something sweet after dinner, and am am a college student so dining halls always have ice cream and cookies everywhere. How do I fight the urge?

Replies

• Selinaz
    Selinaz Posts: 1 Member
    When I find myself wanting something sweet and I'm on my diet , i brush my teeth. One of my fitness idols says she does this, Helps all cravings go away, trust me!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Go to the grocery store. Buy something that fits in your calorie deficit. Eat it.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Small individually-wrapped hard candies or mints, even the ones with sugar, usually end up only being around 20-30 cal each and they last a long time in your mouth. They're my usual go-to because they're easy to keep with me.
    My grandfather taught me a trick of taking ONE small piece of (your favorite individually-wrapped) chocolate and NOT chewing it. Let it melt on your tongue and in your mouth, and you end up feeling as "satisfied" as if you'd eaten a whole chocolate bar.
    Carry just a few with you so you can have one right after your meal.
    Brushing your teeth (as Selinaz suggests) absolutely works as well, but first you have to make it out of the dining hall! ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I found a 50 calorie cocoa mix (local chain brand- Hy-Vee), that is so good and chocolately, and you can sip off of it for a while. It's been doing the trick!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Be strong.

Maybe have some fruit, if you have a handful of calories left. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've done two different things, depending on the month:

(1) Save calories and plan for a post dinner dessert (this is actually a good way to prevent myself from thinking about sweets the rest of the day and I enjoy it); or

(2) Just train yourself out of the habit -- you want it because you are used to having it, probably. For this I simply increased my cals at dinner a bit or had an extra non sweet treat after dinner (usually cheese, but perhaps a pickle if I didn't have many calories left). The post dinner extra is more about the fact I usually had calories left over, but the past few days I've been weaning myself out of the habit of a post dinner something and it gets easier quickly.

I will say that I don't see any harm in (1) and that's likely my more common approach.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    I have been having chia pudding every night.

1/2 c chia seeds
    4 cups unsweetened almond milk
    1.5 tbsp maple syrup

Whisk together and let sit five minutes. Whisk again to eliminate any clumps. Place in fridge for min. 3 hours or overnight. Enjoy as is or with added fruit, spices etc.

Serves 6. This works out to 109 calories per serving.

This makes 6 servings so has given me breakfast and dessert for three days. Ad.chia seeds are quite expensive it is nice to know that 1/2 cup easily makes 6 servings. It is very hydrating as the seeds absorb up to 13x their own weight in liquid so I find it eliminates any cravings.

I also drink Yogi choco tea (a lot!). The teabags are pricey at over £2 for one box if 20 but it's cheaper than snacking 20 times and it has definitely helped reduce my visits to the coffee shop for soya mochas and to the grocery store for chocolates and sweets.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Halo top ice cream is the way to go...
  • nbottin
    nbottin Posts: 14 Member
    When I have chocolate cravings I eat one piece of chocolate covered banana. I get mine from trader joes for $1.99 and its vegan
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Either grab some fruit or have a low-cal hot chocolate. The low-cal drinks helped me get rid of my addiction to chocolate after dinner by helping me gradually reduce it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Total 0% and fruit, try berries in a saucepan in a few drops of water and then stir through!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    - apple
    - 1 mini sweet
    - diet soda
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    I crave something sweet after dinner and I have to have it. If I deny myself something I'll simply find it and binge on too much of it.

I buy fun size chocolate bars, light cereal bars, popcorn, sugar free jelly pots (or jello, depending on what you call it). I have a big bag of these things, and everything in it is 100 calories or under. I'm allowed something out that bag every evening after dinner and that keeps me content.

You just have to make sure you don't binge. I keep mine on the highest shelf at the back of my cupboard, when I want somethin I have to get a stool and move stuff, so I can't just grab stuff as I walk past!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You could save some calories so you can indulge in that something sweet? I know thats what worked for me. Snack size chocolate bars are my daily fix :smile:
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Sugerfree gum.....
  • allienussbaum
    allienussbaum Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Go to sleep
  • pima49
    pima49 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm with Amy above, tea! I have 2 teavana brand teas that I drink every night! Dragonfruit devotion and peach tranquility. Depends on your tastes. Find a tea you like, I find the loose leaf ones have better flavor, and don't need much, if any sugar.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Dove Promises is my go-to. I have a bag of them in the freezer and when I was starting out I would pre-log a single chocolate after dinner. They are about 40 calories and satisfied the sweet tooth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    IDK...I have desert most evenings. Last night I had a cookie and some milk...I'm no worse for the wear. Having a little something for desert in the evening doesn't magically undo all of your nutrition for the day or anything like that...