Keto Diet, Give It A Try?

Options
Now me personally, I have not tried this diet. But my sister and her friend started it a month and a half ago and let me tell you, the weight loss was rapid!

What is this diet you ask?

Well to put it into simple terms, it's a diet with little to no carbs. A diet that's high in fat and protein. What it basically does is once you body runs out of carbs (glycogen), your body thinks hmmm.... I've no more glycogen to fuel off of. So it starts using fat as it's new fuel source, thus burning fat and losing weight quite rapidly.

And the good thing about this diet, besides the weight loss, is the food you can eat.

As I understand, my sister was on a diet of 2000 calories per day with 50%fat, 45% protein, 5% carbs.

Her diet consisted of Fried eggs, bacon, cheese, peanut butter, steak, duck, coconut oil, burgers etc. etc. you get the point. Foods people trying to lose weight can only dream of. Or so you thought.

Anyway guys, I thought I'd put this out there. If you're struggling to lose weight I highly recommend this diet. If you're interested google it to find more information and give it a try :)

Peace.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    That's a 110%. Might want to edit your post while you still can.
  • Seefy7
    Seefy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Maths was never my strong point!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Research shows that a Keto diet and a restricted calorie diet where both dieters are consuming the same calories, both produce the same amount of fat loss. S fat loss is not excelled in a Keto diet of 1700 cals over a regular caloric deficit diet of 1700 cals
    ( assuming both people need 1700 cals to be in a 500 deficit)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Now me personally, I have not tried this diet. But my sister and her friend started it a month and a half ago and let me tell you, the weight loss was rapid!

Well to put it into simple terms, it's a diet with little to no carbs. A diet that's high in fat and protein. What it basically does is once you body runs out of carbs (glycogen), your body thinks hmmm.... I've no more glycogen to fuel off of. So it starts using fat as it's new fuel source, thus burning fat and losing weight quite rapidly.

And the good thing about this diet, besides the weight loss, is the food you can eat.

As I understand, my sister was on a diet of 2000 calories per day with 50%fat, 45% protein, 5% carbs.

Her diet consisted of Fried eggs, bacon, cheese, peanut butter, steak, duck, coconut oil, burgers etc. etc. you get the point. Foods people trying to lose weight can only dream of. Or so you thought.

Anyway guys, I thought I'd put this out there. If you're struggling to lose weight I highly recommend this diet. If you're interested google it to find more information and give it a try :)

Peace.

I would suggest a little more research as you're wrong on a number of points
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    can you send me a citation on that? thanks.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Basic Atkins plan.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

No thank you. I eat all that stuff already. Except for duck, which is expensive and I don't like it. Plus I get to eat icecream.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I feel deprived of carbs and therefore deprived of energy while eating 200-250g+ so I think this would kill me.
  • Crossfit112
    Crossfit112 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Not good on the long run
  • Seefy7
    Options

Peace.

Care to point them out?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Peace.

Care to point them out?

Keto is high fat moderate protein, rapid weight loss initially is due to water/glycogen losses, increased fat oxidation does not cause the rapid weight loss, nor does it signal increased fat burning, it's due to increased fat intake. And the foods you listed as foods people could only dream of eating while losing weight, only applies to the ignorant who beleive "bad" foods can stop weightloss in it's tracks barring medical conditions that would require limiting certain foods
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Research shows that a Keto diet and a restricted calorie diet where both dieters are consuming the same calories, both produce the same amount of fat loss. S fat loss is not excelled in a Keto diet of 1700 cals over a regular caloric deficit diet of 1700 cals
    ( assuming both people need 1700 cals to be in a 500 deficit)

Care to give us a source for that? I've read the opposite.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

No thank you. I eat all that stuff already. Except for duck, which is expensive and I don't like it. Plus I get to eat icecream.

This!
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I've done it (even got the stupid pee sticks to make sure I was doing it right). It sucks and I found it not sustainable. I cycle my carbs - lower days and higher days but dont stress it too much.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I lose weight just fine on eggs, hamburgers, bacon, cheese, coconut oil etc., etc. but I also get to eat the hamburger bun, potatoes, white rice, pasta, beer etc., etc. You just have to eat less than you burn. Quite simple really although not always easy. :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Not good on the long run

Agreed

This diet I have done recently (well not exactly as you described it). Initial weight loss was mostly water weight, and then fat.

After trying to add in HIITS and weights, I found I had no energy to work out. I have slowly added more carbs and protein into my diet. I am able to do more high intensity exercise now, which IMHO is necessary to reach my goals.
  • Seefy7
    Options
    [/quote]

Keto is high fat moderate protein, rapid weight loss initially is due to water/glycogen losses, increased fat oxidation does not cause the rapid weight loss, nor does it signal increased fat burning, it's due to increased fat intake. And the foods you listed as foods people could only dream of eating while losing weight, only applies to the ignorant who beleive "bad" foods can stop weightloss in it's tracks barring medical conditions that would require limiting certain foods
    [/quote]

Fair enough mate, I only said what she told me. And I took her words because the proof was there after I saw how much weight she lost in such little time. But thanks for clearing up those points, it's nice to know what it actually does to your body :)

As for the sentence about the food, you've misunderstood me I think. In no way did I mean to be ignorant. I could have probably phrased it better though, my apologies.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've done it (even got the stupid pee sticks to make sure I was doing it right). It sucks and I found it not sustainable. I cycle my carbs - lower days and higher days but dont stress it too much.

this
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Eh. I already eat that stuff and I'm not "trying" to lose weight, I *am* losing weight - quite successfully, I might add.

And I took her words because the proof was there after I saw how much weight she lost in such little time

I'll stick to my 1.5 lbs a week, thanks. Losing weight slowly is more likely to result in sustained weight loss.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fast-weight-loss/AN01621