Keto Diet, Give It A Try?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the diet either, my bestie did, but I do think it is not healthy and dangerous... and I told her that too, many years ago when the diet was very popular. Anything that tells me I need to cut out an entire food group sends up a red flag to me. As for the foods you can eat... fried bacon, fried eggs, peanut butter...
    Does anyone else not realize how much cholesterol is in those foods?? Sure, you might lose weight, but your arteries are as clogged as hell...
    Good luck to those trying this diet, hope you stay healthy and safe... I'm not trying to be mean, just point out the downsides of the diet and that I think it is dangerous, especially for long term use.

Dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol (pre existing medical conditions excluded).
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    This is so dangerous. I can not imagine why anyone would want to put their body into a state of Ketoacidosis. This is not healthy, even if it does make you lose weight...which it will. You are already fat, why would you want to add more potential health risks?

Ketosis is NOT the same thing as Ketoacidosis. Just sayin' . . . .

ETA: Just saw this was already addressed. :drinker:
  • Seefy7
    Seefy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't understand why people are such A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP is obviously new and obviously doesn't know much about this diet or maybe any diet..instead of thinking you all are being funny (hur hur because you're not funny) why don't you offer some encouragement and direction to the right way to lose weight?

Why even waste their time..... No life??????

OP if you wanna add me as a friend I can direct you to some awesome encouraging people here... I try to stay away from the message board because people are not very nice anymore these days...

And yes I did tell you!

Thanks. I guess I better be careful with what I say on this forum in future. I had no idea people would have such bad reactions to it. If they disagree then fine, but there's no need to make me look like the bad guy. And I heard the MFP community were friendly. wow...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Interesting, thanks for sharing, but I did find the rhetoric distracting.
    The main flaws I see in this study are the calorie self-reporting and the method for measuring fat as the Tanita BIA device.
    no prob. Can you site research where it shows a keto genie diet results in more fat loss than a caloric deficit diet ?

Sure, well this is an analysis of the literature, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/

Here is an image, ACG actually posted it in another thread
    1743-7075-1-13-1.jpg
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    I've been in ketosis for 8 weeks now. I'm losing 2.5lbs a week.

Plus I do pretty heavy cardio without a problem.

It works well for me.

However, even the man that wrote the Ketosis book, Lyle McDonald, says there's NO difference between a low carb diet and a keto diet for fat loss.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-1.html
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I m 20 days in to a very strict keto diet....see my diary.

Be warned' ...11 days in I got chest pain and had to carb up and just half an hour ago got them again and just had 30g of crunchy nut to get rid of it again.

As for weight loss and ease of managing.. its a fantastic diet I enjoy and the weight loss is rapld....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Something else you may want to consider is that some people do not tolerate low carb diets well, there has been some pretty compelling research linking low carb diets to mood swings (apparently there's a link between carbs and serotonin production according to MIT)

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

http://www.nursetogether.com/-mood-swings-and-low-carb-dieting-
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    There is no need to bash or insult this poster. Sure, they were under educated but there is no need for attack, but rather just educate them on the matter. There is no room for ignorant posters, thanks.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have followed a Keto lifestyle since September 2012. I target 70-75% of my calories from fat; 20-25% from protein; 5% from carbs. Traditional keto is more along the lines of 65F-30P-5C, but I've had better weight loss with consuming a higher fat percentage.

When I ate a traditional diet I would constantly be hungry and craving more high-carb foods. Now, because I don't eat significant levels of carbohydrates, I don't get blood sugar highs and lows. My body doesn't crave carbs. I am able to control my eating levels, and as a result, I actually eat fewer calories.

Could I have lost the same amount of weight if I had followed a traditional diet, and eating comparable levels of calories that I did on Keto? Maybe. The problem is, I struggle to control my eating when I have carbs. Keto is self-restricting based on the type of food you are eating - often, you just don't feel hungry. I never experienced that doing a high carb diet.

My best result on Weight Watchers was 4 months, and 10 pounds gone. On keto, I feel satiated, and confident I can continue eating this way until I hit my goal.

It isn't for everyone. And yes, if you go back to eating what made you fat in the first place, you will put the weight back on.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Basic Atkins plan.

BINGO this is not new and as long as you keep calling this a diet, you are destined to relapse. LIFESTYLE is the key word.

Atkins does work but I can tell you from experience, unless everyone in your household is living the same lifestyle, it will not work. Carbs in the house will be carbs consumed. Thus my having to go low calorie after my divorce and starting a new relationship. I could not, even after 7 years on atkins, refrain from consuming his carbs.

Keto is not Atkins
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    This is so dangerous. I can not imagine why anyone would want to put their body into a state of Ketoacidosis. This is not healthy, even if it does make you lose weight...which it will. You are already fat, why would you want to add more potential health risks?

Dietary ketosis is NOT ketoacidosis, which is indeed a dangerous state for diabetics.
  • eferg117
    eferg117 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Re-look at what they are eating. They aren't getting a lot of really valuable vitamins and nutrients. While I'm sure they are losing weight fast, this is not the healthiest option. Slow and steady wins the race, and stays healthier :)
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Keto, from my understanding is not recommended for most people looking to lose weight because it is both hard to maintain (unless, like a previous poster stated - the entire house is eating this way) and because it is typically NOT seen as a long term lifestyle. With that said, many people with metabolic disorders - diabetes, PCOS, IR - are recommended to eat this way to control the blood sugars.

I, sad to say, HAVE one of the medical conditions that keto is recommended for. And, I have been quite successful at it so far. (About 3 months now, with only 1 week where carb control was an issue due to changing calorie goals). I lift 3 times per week, and I swim (a LOT). Not sure if my lap medleys qualify as HIIT, but I have seen a significant improvement in the time spent swimming over the same distance.

Some choose to use keto as a way to break certain habits that revolve around carbs - like a nasty sweet tooth, or someone having trouble restricting calories because of the carb addiction. Then, once the habit is broke, these people will often shift back to a more "normal" menu/diet, but with better control over what they are eating. Others, choose to stay with keto, once the habits are broken because they find the lifestyle sustainable, and enjoy the variety and inventive challenge necessary to maintain the lifestyle.

Personally, I have actually seen my losses SLOW some since I have started living with the keto lifestyle, but I cannot attribute these results directly to the change in menu, because I also changed my calorie goals about the same time. But, I can say that since I have started this, I am having some muscles starting to emerge from the massive layers of fat I carried around for too long.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Re-look at what they are eating. They aren't getting a lot of really valuable vitamins and nutrients. While I'm sure they are losing weight fast, this is not the healthiest option. Slow and steady wins the race, and stays healthier :)

I'm on a keto diet, and I had 3 different types of vegetables with my breakfast. Keto is not supposed to be all bacon and steak (although those play a role). You eat a LOT of different leafy green or fibrous vegetables. I've found that I've been eating less meat while on keto, and more vegetables and eggs.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is not what a lot of prominant names in Cross fit say. Ketosis is a fat adaptive state that uses your bodies fat stores for energy. More and more high performance athletes are starting to move towards a more ketogenic diet because it can sustain them longer.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I'm on a keto diet, and I had 3 different types of vegetables with my breakfast. Keto is not supposed to be all bacon and steak (although those play a role). You eat a LOT of different leafy green or fibrous vegetables. I've found that I've been eating less meat while on keto, and more vegetables and eggs.

Plus 1 to this ^. A keto diet does not mean eat only meat and eggs. Vegetables are a significant part the diet.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow, I eat tons of leafy green vegetables on my low carb plan, in fact, vegetables are extremely important. I put much less emphasis on the meat. There is nothing wrong with eggs either, I don't know why people are so afraid of the yolk. My cholesterol is lower than it's been in years as are my triglycerides. To each their own I guess, try not to judge. Works for me.

Plus 1 to this ^. A keto diet does not mean eat only meat and eggs. Vegetables are a significant part the diet.
  • aheartofflesh
    Options
    Im losing 5lbs a week steady using the keto CKD method.
  • Seefy7
    Seefy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    This was a great read for people who carb up on keto.

Carb cycling programs never allow the body to become fully fat adapted, which I believe takes 3-6 weeks. The metabolism just shuts down & awaits a return to glycolysis. You hear bodybuilders claim that their body doesn't function without carbs, this is because they've done carb cycling & never allowed their body to convert - so it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. This study referenced:

show that the body (even for athletes) become fat adapted *with time* & allow unimpaired endurance performance despite nutritional ketosis. "The most obvious of these is the time allotted (or not) for keto-adaptation. In this context, the prescient observation of Schwatka (that adaptation to "a diet of reindeer meat" takes 2–3 weeks) says it all. None of the comparative low-carbohydrate versus high-carbohydrate studies done in support of the carbohydrate loading hypothesis sustained the low carbohydrate diet for more than 2 weeks .... There are to date no studies that carefully examine the optimum length of this keto-adaptation period, but it is clearly longer than one week and likely well advanced within 3–4 weeks. The process does not appear to happen any faster in highly trained athletes than in overweight or untrained individuals. This adaptation process also appears to require consistent adherence to carbohydrate restriction, as people who intermittently consume carbohydrates while attempting a ketogenic diet report subjectively reduced exercise tolerance." I highly recommend low carb way of eating for optimal health. It takes 3-6 weeks for the body to become fully fat adapted to perform athletically but the body does convert *if* carb cycling is not used. Athletes studied said their performance was effected the first week or so but recovered to full athletic ability within a few weeks. For bodybuilders, low carb creates lean tissues even without working out, working out should create even more muscle mass. When insulin dominates the blood stream, testosterone & human growth hormone (HGH) aren't produced, which are both anabolic hormones & contribute to muscle growth. Excess protein is converted to glucose *unless* dietary fat levels are greater than 80% of dietary calories, then I believe that excess protein is forced to create lean tissues (just as excess carbohydrates are forced to create fat tissues). Marathon athletes aren't restricted to glycogen stores. Athletes in glycolysis (using glucose for fuel) have to "carb load" to fill glycogen stores but athletes in ketosis (using fat for fuel) don't have these restrictions. A normal weighted person has enough fat stores to run for more than 200 hours - glycogen stores only last a few hours before being depleted & the athlete "hits the wall" from the article below -Numerous current studies show that dieters who follow high-protein low-carb strategies--even plans with higher fat intake--lose more fat and maintain or gain more muscle mass than dieters who rely on higher carb diets. Yes, you read that right--many dieters actually gained muscle mass without working out, simply by eating a high-protein diet. This is due to several factors. First, amino acids from protein drive muscle growth. When you consume a high-protein meal, amino acids from the protein travel to muscle cells and actually initiate the processes that cause muscle growth.

I highly recommend adding virgin coconut oil to your diet. All fats can be used for sustained energy, but coconut oil is the (only) fat that can be used for quick energy like a carb. I think that ketosis is not the back up fuel plan. I think ketosis was meant to be primary fuel plan, that is easily overridden (one bite) by ingestion of carbs (or alcohol). The body is rarely allowed to become fully fat adapted, especially in these days of people using processed food formula to feed infants instead of breast milk. Carbs were never supposed to be available year around, only seasonally during harvest. The body can easily handle carbs even in excess occasionally, just not continuously. The body can also be fueled by protein (via gluconeogenesis) but long term protein synthesis creates the byproducts of ammonia & nitrogen. The body can easily handle clearing out these byproducts but if gluconeogenesis is used as the primary fuel source for long term, the body can be overwhelmed (poisoned) by the excess ammonia & nitrogen. It's all contingent on balance but the body functions at optimal levels on more dietary fat & suboptimal levels on less dietary fat. Source(s): Glucose is the bodies preferred fuel - the body can convert 100% of carbs, 58% of protein & 10% of dietary fat into glucose. The body can also be fueled by fat (dietary fat & fat cells) but only in the absence of carbs. Your brain actually prefers* to be fueled by ketones (part of the fat burning process), it does require glucose also, but glucose can be easily converted from excess protein if needed or dietary fat. * After 3 days of carb restriction, the brain uses ketone bodies as fuel, cutting its need for glucose. The production of ketone bodies & glycerol cuts the brain's glucose requirement from 120 g per day to about 10 g per day in time. Ketones have been described as "magic" in their ability to increase metabolic efficiency, while decreasing production of free radicals, the damaging byproducts of normal metabolism. The heart and brain operate 25% more efficiently using ketones as a source of energy.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    True keto diet = 65% fats, 30% proteins, 5% Carbs...