Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    even the author herself states that the actual foods consumed will vary based on personal preferences and tastes (which again, contradicts her previous argument that diets like paleo cannot not be moderation).

I bet if you emailed her and asked if someone eating a paleo diet because they don't really like dairy, legumes, or grains is eating "in moderation" that she might say yes.

Personally, I have no problem with that idea (or that one can do a sort of paleo diet in a moderate way). I do wonder why one needs to follow a specific diet if it's how you would eat anyway, though. I did paleo for a bit and decided it was silly for me to do it because: (1) I think dairy and legumes are healthy and probably whole grains too -- specifically, I think including them tends to result in a more healthful diet for me (not for everyone, lots of people are lactose intolerant and some are celiac or other other negative reactions to grains); and (2) I don't really care about grains so it seemed a silly thing to give up as I naturally don't eat much of them (especially refined grains) if I am even remotely mindful and limit calories (which means I rarely eat sweet baked goods).
    Also, the authors application of moderation is totally in line with the diet as it is one where the theoretical person would be getting micros from whole foods, filling in macros with other foods, and then indulging in treats and what not to fill in left over calories.

The author said 100% strict paleo (like Whole30), which doesn't permit certain kinds of treats or even replacement "paleo treats."

I'm not sure what the author's rational was for considering paleo to be extreme, and based on her text about what moderation looks like, paleo falls within that.

Whole30 does have treats, they have recipes for all kinds of desserts. The author states that person includes treats in their diet, she didn't say what the criteria was for treats, and even said it was individual. So 100% strict paleo/Whole30 would fall within the definition.

No, it doesn't. I've read the book. There are tons of "paleo treats" but Whole30 says to avoid them.

From the website: "Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients."

I think we are talking about two separate things. I don't seen 100% strict paleo as being the Whole30 elimination stuff in the book, to me 100% strict paleo is someone who sticks completely to paleo, which does have things like desserts and such made from paleo ingredients, which has some overlap with Whole30 recipes.

Regardless, the blog author describes treats as "indulgences," not necessarily snack foods/desserts, so viewing it as things like cookies and cakes is us projecting our own bias about the word "treats;" there are plenty of ways to indulge that don't necessarily involve sweets. In that way, I still think paleo would fit.

Well, like I said above, I think one can do paleo in a moderate way.

Claiming eating grains and legumes and dairy isn't healthy for anyone and that having only a bit will ruin your diet (when that is not true -- i.e., not a true allergy or celiac), seems extreme, on the other hand.

For example, I occasionally listen to paleo podcasts, and on one a person was concerned about taking communion because grains (or the appearance of grains, since she was Catholic ;-)). The hosts basically agreed with her that yes, that was a problem. IMO, having such a concern is not extreme if one is celiac. It does seem extreme otherwise, since there is simply no way it's going to hurt your health -- it's a kind of made-up fear. (None of my business, but not moderate.)

We agree that different diets can be done in a moderate way, so no argument there. As for the communion example, I would suggest that the view of that being "extreme" is based on the individual's views and values; you're basing it on health reasons, because that's how you make your determinations. That person may have a different set of criteria in making their decisions, and while I think it's a bit much, they do make communion wafers that are wheat-free, so it's an easy fix. Not hearing the program, I'm not sure if the religious aspect was also a struggle for the person, as communion host is generally made from wheat and water as part of the belief system.

The person's reason for being paleo was health. (I'm not sure what other reason there would be, even though I don't think a paleo diet is healthier than a good non paleo diet.)

And as I said she was Catholic, and the Catholic Church (which is, of course extreme -- I'm Catholic too, so not criticizing) does NOT allow for wheat-free communion wafers. (Also, paleo is no grains, not just no wheat.)

The religious aspect was part of it -- she was struggling with the idea that she couldn't participate fully in communion, which was troubling to her, given her understanding of the demands of paleo. (Technically, you can fully participate in communion with just the wine, which the hosts did not know, but in any case I think that level of commitment to "no grains" without being celiac is immoderate and a little troubling. Others might think caring about religion is immoderate, and that's fine, doesn't bother me. ;-) )
    I think my issue with this discussion is that people are trying to claim what is and is not moderation as fact when their definitions of what is extreme is based on their subjective view and personal values.

I think it's a general approach and some things clearly aren't within that approach ("eating any added sugar ever will ruin my health or spoil my diet and so asking me if I want pie on Thanksgiving is sabotage!" or "vegetables are disgusting, I eat only bacon, sausage, and beer"). But what it will look like is going to vary.

What I liked about the piece OP linked (without analyzing the whole thing too closely) is that it responded to the usual nonsense about "moderation" just being an excuse for eating a poor diet. No, part of moderation is eating what you like as part of an overall balanced diet that IS concerned with meeting goals like calorie appropriateness AND nutritional considerations and feeling good.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Holy f$&@"!!! I can't believe that this conversation has gone so left field! Truly the last time I post an article here. I completely forgot how arbitrary people can be on the Internet. How can I take this post down?

I would not worry too much OP. It is just the usual folks that don't understand the concept, and how to apply it to their daily lives, so they have to destroy the concept as something that no one can understand, because they do not understand it.

I absolutely understand the concept and how to apply it in my daily life. My argument is that my definition of moderation is different from yours, and from others, and so "moderation" when it comes to a way of eating is not a useful term.

No, your definition of Moderation is the same as mine. Your application of it within your individual approach to moderation is different.

That's what I've been trying to say. Moderation has a textbook definition (the avoidance of extremes) but the application of it is individualized and variable.

Which is why it doesn't describe anything about the diet in a useful way, or help anyone know what it means when people use it. All it really speaks to is an attitude.

its not a diet...

That's right. It's a religion in these parts. Or a religiofied secular philosophy applicable towards ice cream and cupcakes.

799fc4d1aa08c5566d5a3fb6a2c42136.jpg

Eh, this is so obviously false.

I think moderation is a nice approach, but I think other approaches are fine too, as I've said several times in this thread.

Some seem to think that it's totally cool for paleo types or low carbers or the rest to try and evangelize their way of eating, but if some of us talk among ourselves about what we like about moderation, that is apparently annoying and "a religion."

Seems weird.

But that's the point people keep trying to make - Paleo, low carb, and moderation are not mutually exclusive ways of eating, yet people are trying to define "moderation" as a way of eating that includes specific foods or macros while still saying that the foods you choose to eat are personal preference. It's contradictory.

It's not a way of eating that includes specific foods, it's a way that can include specific foods if you want to, whereas doing paleo (moreso than lowcarb), you absolutely can't eat the foods that are on the no-no list, or else you're not doing paleo, regardless of you as an individual. No one doing that particular paleo style (lord knows there's dozens with different lists of foods that are okay or not okay), can eat those foods if they want to do that diet, if they want to eat them or not.
    If you wouldn't eat them anyway, you're fine. If you would, you want to, and you're beating yourself up over it, there's your extreme and you should consider a different approach to eating.

I don't disagree - if the paleo diet includes all the foods you want to eat (like vegetarian, or vegan, or low carb, etc), then one can still be paleo and practice moderation, correct? Because that's what I'm interpreting your post as saying, but that contradicts what the blog author says and several statements made by users in this thread as to the definition of moderation.

The way I understand the blog post is that she is directly referring to people believing they must do this or that. That old thinking of if you're not eating clean you just want to eat burgers all day and the "look at me how disciplined I am for only eating chicken, brown rice and broccoli day in and day out" type of people. Specifically the ones who would not eat that way just because that's what they like but because it's the newest fad they read about in a magazine and suddenly they go from 50% of their diet being carbs to <20 grams per day from one day to the other. That's an extreme.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Holy f$&@"!!! I can't believe that this conversation has gone so left field! Truly the last time I post an article here. I completely forgot how arbitrary people can be on the Internet. How can I take this post down?

I would not worry too much OP. It is just the usual folks that don't understand the concept, and how to apply it to their daily lives, so they have to destroy the concept as something that no one can understand, because they do not understand it.

I absolutely understand the concept and how to apply it in my daily life. My argument is that my definition of moderation is different from yours, and from others, and so "moderation" when it comes to a way of eating is not a useful term.

No, your definition of Moderation is the same as mine. Your application of it within your individual approach to moderation is different.

That's what I've been trying to say. Moderation has a textbook definition (the avoidance of extremes) but the application of it is individualized and variable.

Which is why it doesn't describe anything about the diet in a useful way, or help anyone know what it means when people use it. All it really speaks to is an attitude.

its not a diet...

That's right. It's a religion in these parts. Or a religiofied secular philosophy applicable towards ice cream and cupcakes.

I think moderation is a nice approach, but I think other approaches are fine too, as I've said several times in this thread.

Some seem to think that it's totally cool for paleo types or low carbers or the rest to try and evangelize their way of eating, but if some of us talk among ourselves about what we like about moderation, that is apparently annoying and "a religion."

Seems weird.

But that's the point people keep trying to make - Paleo, low carb, and moderation are not mutually exclusive ways of eating, yet people are trying to define "moderation" as a way of eating that includes specific foods or macros while still saying that the foods you choose to eat are personal preference. It's contradictory.

It's not a way of eating that includes specific foods, it's a way that can include specific foods if you want to, whereas doing paleo (moreso than lowcarb), you absolutely can't eat the foods that are on the no-no list, or else you're not doing paleo, regardless of you as an individual. No one doing that particular paleo style (lord knows there's dozens with different lists of foods that are okay or not okay), can eat those foods if they want to do that diet, if they want to eat them or not.
    If you wouldn't eat them anyway, you're fine. If you would, you want to, and you're beating yourself up over it, there's your extreme and you should consider a different approach to eating.

What about strict calorie counting?

If I reach my calorie goal for the day but still want to eat some food, but choose not to because I cannot go over my allotted calories for the day (which a lot of people eating on a calorie controlled diet stick to) does that change my diet from moderation to extreme (for that day)?

In essence I am eliminating ALL food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

its not a diet...

Seems weird.

I don't disagree - if the paleo diet includes all the foods you want to eat (like vegetarian, or vegan, or low carb, etc), then one can still be paleo and practice moderation, correct? Because that's what I'm interpreting your post as saying, but that contradicts what the blog author says and several statements made by users in this thread as to the definition of moderation.

For the record (I know this wasn't addressed to me but I just wanted to chime in), I'm not taking the blog author as the definitive expert on what constitutes moderation, just as I'm not sure I totally agree with other people who are proponents of moderation on their specific interpretation. What I have been saying repeatedly is that the definition is consistent, the actual implementation of moderation is individualized and variable. With that, the interpretation of whether or not someone else considers what I do to be moderation and not extreme, can also be subjective. I personally believe that a person CAN be Paleo and still practice moderation. I also believe that some people who are Paleo are using extreme restriction and therefore would not fit my interpretation of Moderation. That doesn't invalidate the definition of moderation because 5 different people in this thread as well as the blog author have a different interpretation of whether or not it is possible to practice moderation with a Paleo diet.

There is not going to be consensus on whether or not every single way of eating based on medical requirements, ethical reasons, or personal preference is an appropriate application of moderation. The entire point of this is that an individual who practices moderation chooses what the boundaries/extremes are for themselves and they determine where in the middle they want to swim.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

its not a diet...

Seems weird.

If I reach my calorie goal for the day but still want to eat some food, but choose not to because I cannot go over my allotted calories for the day (which a lot of people eating on a calorie controlled diet stick to) does that change my diet from moderation to extreme (for that day)?

I'd personally say, if you realize there is nothing wrong with doing it it's not extreme. You can go over your calories one day, it won't kill you. Maybe set you back a day or two, but that's all. I know I eat more than my allotted calories a lot of the time. And I'm okay with that. I still lose at a good pace.
    You can definitely be extreme in calorie counting too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What I liked about the piece OP linked (without analyzing the whole thing too closely) is that it responded to the usual nonsense about "moderation" just being an excuse for eating a poor diet. No, part of moderation is eating what you like as part of an overall balanced diet that IS concerned with meeting goals like calorie appropriateness AND nutritional considerations and feeling good.

^This
    And....

The way I understand the blog post is that she is directly referring to people believing they must do this or that. That old thinking of if you're not eating clean you just want to eat burgers all day and the "look at me how disciplined I am for only eating chicken, brown rice and broccoli day in and day out" type of people. Specifically the ones who would not eat that way just because that's what they like but because it's the newest fad they read about in a magazine and suddenly they go from 50% of their diet being carbs to <20 grams per day from one day to the other. That's an extreme.

^This
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

its not a diet...

Seems weird.

How is that eliminating all food? By such word play and inanity, you might as well claim all diets are extreme because they eliminate all food in that no diet would say it is okay to be constantly eating 100% of the day.
    All the foods are available, you just have to acknowledge that if you want to lose weight, the calories over time will have to be in a deficit, so eat less tomorrow, eat the food tomorrow, or accept slower weight loss.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

its not a diet...

Seems weird.

How is that eliminating all food? By such word play and inanity, you might as well claim all diets are extreme because they eliminate all food in that no diet would say it is okay to be constantly eating 100% of the day.
    All the foods are available, you just have to acknowledge that if you want to lose weight, the calories over time will have to be in a deficit, so eat less tomorrow, eat the food tomorrow, or accept slower weight loss.

But what if you stick to your calorie goal everyday and everyday you still want to continue to eat after you have reached your calorie limit, but beat yourself up over it and choose not to?

Is that still classed as a moderation diet, or under Steven's definition is it considered an extreme diet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

its not a diet...

Seems weird.

no you're not...

and yeah, a lot of people are over the top obsessive about calorie counting...and take things to extremes.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    The blog was just okay, imo. The writer's thoughts seemed very disorganized and fuzzy to me. I've seen better writing and clearer thoughts expressed about moderation in posts on MFP.

I especially disagree with this:

"So what does moderation look like in the real world?

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure."

This sounds like a bunch of rules to me. Like a diet plan. Why mostly whole foods? Why not mostly processed foods?

I understand moderation as something akin to flexibility and lack of rigidity. As in, there's cake and I want some, so I'm going to fit it in. Or, oranges have plenty of vitamin C, but I'm not really worried about vitamin C so I'm not going to suffer to eat an orange just because it has some virtue I don't really care about.

I pay some attention to macro's, and like no attention to micros. I definitely pay no regard to whether my food is "whole" or not, or "mostly whole". Why should I? I'm not averse to whole foods, but I don't feel any obligation to seek them out, either. I eat what I want, according to my calorie goals and, sometimes, my macro goals (which have more to do with controlling my hunger due to my calorie goal than anything else)

I dunno, maybe I don't eat in moderation, if what it means is that I adhere to some pseudo-virtuous (imho) WOE.

As far as avoidance of extremes, I might be able to get on board with that, except no one thinks what they do is extreme, kind of like how no one believes that what they think is unreasonable.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    perhaps if you aren't adding benefit to the discussion and allowing it to go smoothly it might be time to move to another thread to allow the discussion of the original post to continue...

Well, I think she is steff. Adding benefit to the discussion that is. So, ah, would it be okay with you if she stays?

I think she should stay.

But it's hypocritical to encourage Kalikel's posts here and criticize those of us who ask what "clean eating" means to an OP or ask why eating yogurt or smoked salmon is supposed to be bad for us when someone says that "processed foods must be eliminated." Or even who ask why having some occasional ice cream within the context of a balanced, calorie appropriate diet is bad when some poster asserts that all added sugar is unhealthy and should be eliminated.

If we can agree that those things are fine too, we are on the same page.

not sure I get to decide that really. I was just pointing out what I had seen moderators post in other threads about this sort of back and forth where the OP was specifically targeted to a certain audience.

If she chooses to stay and add benefit great (however I see she has chosen to leave)

but I agree with Lemurcat about encouraging those posts but to criticise those who ask what clean eating it...

Unless... is clean eating defined by what it isn't? Because hey, that's hard to pin down obviously.

I understand that some want to see a pot/kettle situation here, but unless you're comparing two exclusionary methods of defining something, it's not a similar sort of reference/argument being made/had.

Moderation exists on a spectrum of applications applied by individuals and circumscribed by the extremes within which it exists. Does clean? If it does, why don't its followers simply say so?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

its not a diet...

Seems weird.

But what if you stick to your calorie goal everyday and everyday you still want to continue to eat after you have reached your calorie limit, but beat yourself up over it and choose not to?

Is that still classed as a moderation diet, or under Steven's definition is it considered an extreme diet?

Then yes, if you're constantly deprived, you either have some more serious issue, or you're being extreme.
    You can set a calorie goal of zero calorie's a day. That isn't moderation.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This week I learned that Norwegians have a slang word for crazy, "texas." As in "this thread has gone ALL texas." Imma go have a cookie and look up some o these big words I just read in this texas thread.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    This week I learned that Norwegians have a slang word for crazy, "texas." As in "this thread has gone ALL texas." Imma go have a cookie and look up some o these big words I just read in this texas thread.

Might as well keep the Scandinavian theme going and have some Kringla or Lefse
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    perhaps if you aren't adding benefit to the discussion and allowing it to go smoothly it might be time to move to another thread to allow the discussion of the original post to continue...

Well, I think she is steff. Adding benefit to the discussion that is. So, ah, would it be okay with you if she stays?

I think she should stay.

But it's hypocritical to encourage Kalikel's posts here and criticize those of us who ask what "clean eating" means to an OP or ask why eating yogurt or smoked salmon is supposed to be bad for us when someone says that "processed foods must be eliminated." Or even who ask why having some occasional ice cream within the context of a balanced, calorie appropriate diet is bad when some poster asserts that all added sugar is unhealthy and should be eliminated.

If we can agree that those things are fine too, we are on the same page.

not sure I get to decide that really. I was just pointing out what I had seen moderators post in other threads about this sort of back and forth where the OP was specifically targeted to a certain audience.

If she chooses to stay and add benefit great (however I see she has chosen to leave)

but I agree with Lemurcat about encouraging those posts but to criticise those who ask what clean eating it...

Unless... is clean eating defined by what it isn't? Because hey, that's hard to pin down obviously.

I understand that some want to see a pot/kettle situation here, but unless you're comparing two exclusionary methods of defining something, it's not a similar sort of reference/argument being made/had.

Moderation exists on a spectrum of applications applied by individuals and circumscribed by the extremes within which it exists. Does clean? If it does, why don't its followers simply say so?

because there are at least 5 million different definition of what clean eating is....
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the avoidance of extremes.

You can never eat cupcakes again or you are a failure as a dieter and human being! - extreme
    It's ok to have cupcakes sometimes if it fits your calories and nutritional/macro goals. - moderate
    Calories are ALL that matter, so you should only EVER eat cupcakes! It's called the cupcake diet!! - extreme

Moderation is ANYTHING that falls between the extremes. Really isn't rocket science.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You can never eat cupcakes again or you are a failure as a dieter and human being! - extreme
    It's ok to have cupcakes sometimes if it fits your calories and nutritional/macro goals. - moderate
    Calories are ALL that matter, so you should only EVER eat cupcakes! It's called the cupcake diet!! - extreme

Moderation is ANYTHING that falls between the extremes. Really isn't rocket science.

but if you eat a cupcake a day and it fits within your micors/macros/calories, is that still moderation???

Better yet, if I eat a cupcake in the woods, do the calories still count because no one is around to see me eat the cupcake?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

but if you eat a cupcake a day and it fits within your micors/macros/calories, is that still moderation???

Better yet, if I eat a cupcake in the woods, do the calories still count because no one is around to see me eat the cupcake?

Just be careful...cupcakes attract bears
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

:)

Pretty sure I would get sick of cupcakes after a while if I ate them everyday and I LOVE cupcakes.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

15 pages of semantic arguement beg to differ.

This discussion has been closed.