Moderation

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The lack of rigid definitions and its broad adaptability is a necessary feature of moderation. Trying to apply specific rules violates its very nature.

Moderation seems as difficult to define and agree on, as the term 'clean eating'.

Who knew!!

So you didn't read the whole thread?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The lack of rigid definitions and its broad adaptability is a necessary feature of moderation. Trying to apply specific rules violates its very nature.

Moderation seems as difficult to define and agree on, as the term 'clean eating'.

Who knew!!

actually it is not ..there is one definition in the dictionary, just use that.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Who knew!!

I read the first two pages - I assume the next 14 were jut a rehash of the first two.

(joking by the way), yes I read the thread and no-one has given a clear definition of moderation that applies to everyone.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Who knew!!

I read the first two pages - I assume the next 14 were jut a rehash of the first two.

(joking by the way), yes I read the thread and no-one has given a clear definition of moderation that applies to everyone.

then you did not read the thread as moderation was clearly defined several times.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Who knew!!

so the avoidance of extremes! So what can I eat - precisely - to fit into your definition of moderation??
  • ndj1979
    Options

Who knew!!

so the avoidance of extremes! So what can I eat - precisely - to fit into your definition of moderation??

1. get a dictionary
    2. look up and read definition of moderation
    3. apply the concept to your daily lifestyle

pretty simple….unless you find that too difficult?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Who knew!!

then you did not read the thread as moderation was clearly defined several times.

I did read it, but I didn't see this clear definition you speak of.

You maybe interpreted it as clear, but not me.

But then I know you and others struggle with the interpretation of clean eating - when others don't.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Who knew!!

But then I know you and others struggle with the interpretation of clean eating - when others don't.

this thread is not about clean eating. If you want to have a debate about defining clean eating then start another thread.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Who knew!!

1. get a dictionary

I have a dictionary, as you can tell by the fact that I referred to moderation as 'the avoidance of extremes'.

I'm asking for a clear instruction on what is considered extreme?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Who knew!!

this thread is not about clean eating. If you want to have a debate about defining clean eating then start another thread.

Who knew!!

Maybe you haven't read the whole thread??

Clean Eating is mentioned on pretty much every page several time (from page 1), so clearly it does have a bearing on the discussion.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited October 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Who knew!!

Anything you want. Enjoy.

So I can eat anything I want???

Just protein and fat all day and no carbs - is that really moderation?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Who knew!!

So I can eat anything I want???

Just protein and fat all day and no carbs - is that really moderation?

You love trolling, don't you? Perhaps if you read the entire thread, you would have seen that the proponents of moderation consistently spoke about hitting nutritional goals, staying within calorie limits, and eating a balanced diet. Can you do that with (literally) zero carbs?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Who knew!!

1. get a dictionary

I have a dictionary, as you can tell by the fact that I referred to moderation as 'the avoidance of extremes'.

You have either not read the thread or are being intentionally obtuse.

There is a clear definition of moderation.
    The application of it varies by individual according to their personal goals, tolerances, and preferences.

The beauty of moderation is that your version of it is different than mine is different than ndj.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Who knew!!

Anything you want. As long as it's moderate and not extreme. If you want to eat extreme, then you can't eat what you want. Clear as mud.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Who knew!!

1. get a dictionary

There isn't one, lol. In fact, it has been explicitly stated that "extreme" doesn't have to be defined, either.

One person posted that moderation is avoiding extremes and extremes are outside the bounds of moderation. Those two things are the explanation for each other. That's the "Science!"

This is what I've come up with for both words, up to and including this thread:

Moderation: A theory of eating wherein the person avoids extremes (which are undefined and may be defined differently by each individual) unless the person has a good reason for the extremes.

Clean: A way of healthy eating that may or may not include eliminating certain foods or food groups and which may or may not include eating foods that are processed and/or unhealthy, in varying amounts.

Hope that clears it all up.

Still, if you want to know what the person means when they discuss their eating, you're going to have to ask.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I defy any of you clean eaters to show me a "clean" diet that doesn't eliminate food. "May or may not include elimination..." What a load of unprocessed horse manure.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Who knew!!

1. get a dictionary

There isn't one, lol. In fact, it has been explicitly stated that "extreme" doesn't have to be defined, either.

One person posted that moderation is avoiding extremes and extremes are outside the bounds of moderation. Those two things are the explanation for each other. That's the "Science!"

This is what I've come up with for both words, up to and including this thread:

Moderation: A theory of eating wherein the person avoids extremes (which are undefined and may be defined differently by each individual) unless the person has a good reason for the extremes.

Clean: A way of healthy eating that may or may not include eliminating certain foods or food groups and which may or may not include eating foods that are processed and/or unhealthy, in varying amounts.

Hope that clears it all up.

Still, if you want to know what the person means when they discuss their eating, you're going to have to ask.

So:

Moderation - perimeters different for everyone!

Clean Eating - perimeters different for everyone!

I see the similarity.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Moderation is the avoidance of extremes.

You can never eat cupcakes again or you are a failure as a dieter and human being! - extreme
    It's ok to have cupcakes sometimes if it fits your calories and nutritional/macro goals. - moderate
    Calories are ALL that matter, so you should only EVER eat cupcakes! It's called the cupcake diet!! - extreme

Moderation is ANYTHING that falls between the extremes. Really isn't rocket science.

but if you eat a cupcake a day and it fits within your micors/macros/calories, is that still moderation???

A cupcake a day wouldn't be moderate for me, but if someone else want to fit a cupcake a day in their macros/micros/calories, I'm not going to take the position that it is not moderate for them.

Do you think it wouldn't be moderate or is it simply not how you choose to practice moderation.

For example, I usually have at least 200 discretionary calories, assuming I am being as active as I should be. So if I found a small cupcake (or baked them), I could fit in a cupcake after dinner most days. I don't, because I'm not that into cupcakes, don't especially want to be baking all the time and so on. I fit in a little ice cream or cheese or include some higher cal meat choices or maybe some chocolate or save calories for meals out, etc. But if I loved cupcakes more than all these other things and so chose to include the cupcakes, why wouldn't that be a form of moderation? I wouldn't thereby go over any sugar or macro goals (and my macro goals are a pretty balanced 40-30-30).

It's not how I would apply moderation for me.

I agree that your example is moderate.

Because we are both right is part of why this thread has gone on for so many pages - I and others are taking the position that because moderation can mean different things to different people, it's not a particularly useful term when applied to eating.

I don't understand why it's so hard to see something that's a broad concept which is not meant to define a specific way of eating for what it is ... a broad concept.

You're defining moderation (saying it means different things) and then complaining that because you can't put your finger on it that it's not useful.

Is this the legacy of named plans or something? I'm not taking a shot with that, I'm trying to draw the distinction between an approach and a "diet".

Moderation isn't a diet. It's an approach or concept applied to eating. How people apply that concept has a very broad spectrum in which to operate.

It doesn't have to be "useful". It just has to be understood.

The article that started this thread did not offer a broad definion of moderation. It was actually pretty specific.

"So what does moderation look like in the real world?

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. "

Sure the specifics will be different from person to person, but the specifics for clean eating, paleo, vegetarian and other diet would be different too. That description that was so highly praised on the first few pages does not = eating anything you want. UNLESS you want to eat mostly whole foods.
This discussion has been closed.