What has surprised you most about your weight loss journey?

Options
For me, I sometimes find that I'm under my minimum 1,200 calories and I'm not even hungry most of the time. I need to consciously have a snack to make sure that I at least hit that minimum. Of course this doesn't happen all the time (we all have those days we just want to eat our own hand). But when I started this journey I thought for sure that I would never feel full again or wouldn't get to eat the foods I enjoyed. I am pleasantly surprised!

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    That I am my own worst enemy in this journey. Ultimately, weight loss is pretty basic and simple. I make it difficult by blurring the lines of what works. I find I am most successful when I just keep it simple and not try to complicate things by placing unnecessary restrictions on myself, like I have in the past.

Also, learning about my trends and tendencies so that I can focus on managing them. I am still discovering new things everyday and finally focusing on making this work for me and my life and not following what works for someone else.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That I don't have to cut everything I love out. That I don't have to feel like I'm starving all the time if I set my calories appropriately (2 pounds per week is not appropriate for most people).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That the second year of weight loss has been more difficult than the first/last ten pounds more difficult than the first 50. Procedure-wise, it is the same (CICO) but the slowdown in the rate of loss and in the changes in the mirror have been a struggle for me this year.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How much I have come to hate the phrase "weight loss journey." :)

• Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's cheesy. I just see it used so much that it must have rubbed off on me. They're in my brain!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    How easy this app has made our journey. I could never get my husband on board even though he wanted to get back to his in service weight and even he loves this app. In one month we've lost a total of 20 lbs together and neither one of us has even the slightest urge yet to give up. I'm also amazed how much I can eat on 1200 calories with the right foods.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    How happy with my body I was/am at the end of it. After years of feeling ugly/awkward in my skin, I'm now 95% body confident, which is the best I think anyone can reasonably expect.

How much I grew to love exercise (especially running). Pretty sure this has a lot to do with my confidence now. I was always in the lowest set for PE at school, and the teachers pretty much gave up asking me to pick up a racket or anything. Now I can beat my male friends over 5K and run 13 miles ;)

How you can fit things like burgers, ice cream, beer etc. in if you play your cards right. I love food, and I could lose/maintain weight without feeling like I was missing out.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's cheesy. I just see it used so much that it must have rubbed off on me. They're in my brain!

Oh yes, I use it too, for lack of a better option.

Perhaps we should all just call it "the ordeal" or "the pain." :)
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    That I can eat well and keep losing weight. That I can make healthy food super delicious if I put my mind to it - I always knew this but I was shocked at how much better I could do by thinking about my meals and planning them properly.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I call it a process. You either love the process of getting into shape or you hate it. Learn to love the process, makes life easier.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I call it a process. You either love the process of getting into shape or you hate it. Learn to love the process, makes life easier.

Doesn't matter if you love it or hate it, the key is whether or not you DO it.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

I think I have to agree with this. So, does that mean when I was stuffing my face with beer, burritos and ben & jerry's that was my weight gain journey? ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    How painless it has been. I did all the hard painful work in the years leading up to this. This time, I'm doing things differently and it's been smooth sailing. I'm enjoying exercise for the first time in my life, and with eating all of the foods I enjoy and want to eat in appropriate amounts to fuel my activity levels, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself by eating at a deficit.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How incredibly simple it is, once you tune out all the derp.

That's not to say it's always EASY, but the concept and process is beautiful in its simplicity.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Doesn't matter if you love it or hate it, the key is whether or not you DO it.

I have to disagree. If you love it then it's easier. People who hate it are less likely to finish.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think when I hate something, it is difficult to sustain. I refuse to hate losing weight as that feels like it translates to hating myself. I want to be healthy, and losing weight is a way of caring for myself. At the end of the day, that thought, helps me to do. Separating out the reason for the actions is an equation for failure for me.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I believe in the Blerch. (Search "The Oatmeal" and "Blerch" and you'll find it.)

I no longer believe in willpower or motivation. Those things don't really exist. What exists is the decision--lose weight, or don't. If the decision is firm, the rest falls into place.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How pleased for and kind to me everyone has been.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

THIS!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    How simple it became when finally at the age of 63 I stopped trying to diet and started eating for health.

Dieting was alway negative but eating for health was very positive. Losing most of pain that had been with me for 40 years makes this way of eating very rewarding therefore easy.