What has surprised you most about your weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    That I'm not as angry at myself as I thought I should be. Due to unforeseeable circumstances, I had to eat at McDonald's and kind of eat like crap all day without the possibility of working out. But I'm allowing myself today and I'm actually really excited to get back on track tomorrow, instead of kicking myself and feeling defeated.

I bet you also made better choices at McDonald's than you would have in the past too.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I found that I could eat a lot more and still lose. I was trying to be way too aggressive for my last ten vanity pounds, trying stay around 1000 - 1200. I wanted it to happen fast, but I found I was binging on the weekends becaus I was restricting too much during the week. Being short I thought I would have a ridiculously low calorie allowance. With the help of my fitness tracker, I have realized that I can eat between 1500 - 1800 and still remain in a deficit, and feel sooooo much better lol.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually dont dislike working out! I used to curse out working out and sweating, but I have been working it into my schedule, almost like a routine....So now I enjoy it somewhat.

Also, I can still eat some of the foods I used to like :)

Also I used to eat a LOTTTTTT of sugar and calories. How the HELL did I stay 150 back in the days of college and pure take out food morning, noon, and night?!?!?!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    That I actually enjoy strength training. I always thought of it as for muscle brained jocks (no offense to any jocks, muscle brained or otherwise!). Won't say I enjoy cardio, but I certainly enjoy the improvements in my energy and in the cardiac parameters I can measure (heart rate, heart rate recovery, blood pressure).
  • eboniivoried
    eboniivoried Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The things I once "sacrificed" (ie. TV, fast food, sweets) weren't much of a sacrifice once it became a habit. Good habits are awesome!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    That I don't need drugs to control tachycardia, hypertension, GERD, insomnia, and triglyrecides! All I had to do was change diet and lose weight.

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    It's so agonizingly slow. It's like a watched pot. And, since this isn't my first time around, I get incredibly frustrated and disappointed that I'm having to do this AGAIN. I know it's my fault and it doesn't go any good to whine about it but I have to constantly be mentally reminding myself to just shut up and keep at it.

On the positive side, I really love working out and being active and I feel a bazillion times better.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For me, the big shock was learning which different foods worked better for me. When I thought that all calories were the same, I didn't realize that I could have such a DIFFERENT reaction to certain foods. But I started experimenting with different elimination approaches and was SHOCKED by how some of them really were true for me. I was initially pretty skeptical because I really thought a lot of it was hooey, but found out that some of it was very true for me.

So, when I started adjusting WHAT I ate instead of just HOW MUCH, it was a night and day difference in how I felt and that made it much easier for longterm adherence for me. Feeling so much better made it much easier to continue to eat well -- it was a completely positive reinforcement loop rather than a restriction loop. And I found as many substitutes for my old favorites and many new favorites -- spaghetti squash where had you been all my life!!! So I could get all the taste I love without the negative feelings (bloating, lethargy, etc.) afterwards

I also found that I really liked lifting and just throwing in a single session of hill sprints really helped me during cuts. It was only 15 mins extra work per week but really showed great results.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    How much I have come to hate the phrase "weight loss journey." :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's cheesy. I just see it used so much that it must have rubbed off on me. They're in my brain!

Oh yes, I use it too, for lack of a better option.

Perhaps we should all just call it "the ordeal" or "the pain." :)

I call it a process. You either love the process of getting into shape or you hate it. Learn to love the process, makes life easier.

I don't love it or hate it, I know I have to do it so I am. I've learned that I can lose weight and still eat food. I don't have to starve to lose weight. I don't love or hate exercising either, but I know it's good for me and I feel 100% better. I also feel guilty on days I don't exercise so I usually do so everyday, except Sunday
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Eating less works

No fad diets or pills, really it is free!

No need to buy anything

Except a food scale....

I look nothing like I used to. It is wild to see people I have not been around for 3 years and they don't know me.

I never knew how much body fat changed me on the inside and outside

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Surprised at how little food I actually need to maintain, how much I enjoy exercise now (hated the very idea once) and - most of all - surprised to find I've got enough willpower to leave sweet treats in the cupboard and eke them out a little at a time. Still get these treats daily, just a lot less of them and it's enough, will savour a couple of squares of chocolate, for instance, when once I'd have eaten the whole bar.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Surprised at how little food I actually need to maintain, how much I enjoy exercise now (hated the very idea once) and - most of all - surprised to find I've got enough willpower to leave sweet treats in the cupboard and eke them out a little at a time. Still get these treats daily, just a lot less of them and it's enough, will savour a couple of squares of chocolate, for instance, when once I'd have eaten the whole bar.

Wish I was you! I sometimes day dream of all the awesomeness I could have in the house all the time if I was at this stage yet. I'm trying some things that could specifically help that now, but I'm also much further ahead than where I was, say, three years ago

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that I was in such denial before! I have never been "fat" but when size 12 crept up I really only went on a diet "because I didn't want to buy new pants". Now I'm a size 6 and approaching a 4 and it feels so right! I'm amazed that losing 30 pounds meant that big of a drop in sizes.

I also realize how wrong I have been about eating before finding this site!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That I can have this much fun along the way.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis sufferer here too. I've resigned myself to spending 75% of my waking hours in running shoes with orthotics. My shoe closet misses me, but I've learned I really can enjoy changing up pendants, earrings and scarves as much as shoes. I walk 100k steps a week, and have never felt more happy & balanced. Distance walking is like two Motrin, some Airborne, a vitamin C gummy, and a Xanax all rolled into one for me.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That its easy to eat the food I love and still lose weight, but also that I really should eat healthier as i am not getting enough vitamins from my diet.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Learning that weight is a range, not a set number. You'd think I'd already know that, but. . . . . I didn't!
  • girls_read_comics
    girls_read_comics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am down 80 lbs so I look like a totally different person I would say that for me its how different people treat me. I hate it . the men who used to tease me are now really nice to me. I know its ONLY because I lost the weight and that on the inside they are terribly ugly people.
    I am still the same girl.
  • girls_read_comics
    girls_read_comics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That its easy to eat the food I love and still lose weight, but also that I really should eat healthier as i am not getting enough vitamins from my diet.
    Soooo this
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What has surprised you most about your weight loss journey?

How quick and easy it was.

There have been difficult moments, of course, but overall it was surprisingly quick and easy. I'm still having trouble believing I'm actually back to the weight I was 10 years ago ... as evidenced by the fact that I'm still trying to wear my "heavy" clothes! :lol: My brain hasn't caught up with my body!

This^^^. It took me over 6 years to go from 197 to 247. It took me 8.5 months to go from 247 to 196, and be in the best shape since I graduated college. I'm wearing 34's for crying out loud! Who would have thought.