What has surprised you most about your weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    How easy it actually is once one loses all the WooWoo, BroScience, UrbanLegend, MarketingHype, WishfulThinking and OldWivesTales that totally engulf this whole business of fitness, health, and weight.

On the Weight side, it couldnt be easier. Calories in. Calories out. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Need proof? Look up there ^^^ at all the beautiful people in their profile pics.

It works.

Every. Time.

Calories in. Calories out.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    That it would lead to me actually running, and even loving it!
  • Orphia
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    I believe in the Blerch. (Search "The Oatmeal" and "Blerch" and you'll find it.)

I no longer believe in willpower or motivation. Those things don't really exist. What exists is the decision--lose weight, or don't. If the decision is firm, the rest falls into place.

Oh, yes, this.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

This.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    How easy it actually is once one loses all the WooWoo, BroScience, UrbanLegend, MarketingHype, WishfulThinking and OldWivesTales that totally engulf this whole business of fitness, health, and weight.

On the Weight side, it couldnt be easier. Calories in. Calories out. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Need proof? Look up there ^^^ at all the beautiful people in their profile pics.

It works.

Every. Time.

Calories in. Calories out.

This ++

95069916.png
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I haven't gotten to this point but I hope to someday! I've got bad arches in my feet so running always hurts a lot.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »

I haven't gotten to this point but I hope to someday! I've got bad arches in my feet so running always hurts a lot.

My excuse was always my flat feet, but they've been fine so far.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    How much easier it was to lose the weight once I let go of all the bullsh*t excuses I've been clinging to for years.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have Plantar faciitis. It's getting better now that I'm dropping some weight, but I still need special insoles and stretching before any activity.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That's it's been rather stress free.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That over a year later since I started trying to lose weight, including the last six months logging on MFP, I'm still doing it, and am even more determined than I was when I started. It just seems rather weird that I'm doing this - it seems like something other people are capable of, not me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    That I like the shape of my body better at 62 than I did at 22. Same weight; less fat.

That I still do some kind of exercise 6 years after losing the weight ( always said I was allergic).

That I can deadlift my body weight.

Cheers, h.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    What has surprised you most about your weight loss journey?

How quick and easy it was.

There have been difficult moments, of course, but overall it was surprisingly quick and easy. I'm still having trouble believing I'm actually back to the weight I was 10 years ago ... as evidenced by the fact that I'm still trying to wear my "heavy" clothes! :lol: My brain hasn't caught up with my body!
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    How much easier it was to lose the weight once I let go of all the bullsh*t excuses I've been clinging to for years.

This. Man, I had so many of them, too. I don't miss them. There is a certain freedom in finally being honest with myself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I have basically flat feet/fallen arches (so does my dad, who has always been a runner, and I have his feet), and I've done a marathon and several half marathons and am training for another marathon. It does mess with my balance and I am meaning to see if there's more I can do to help with that, but for running it's mostly getting good shoes.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    How much FUN it is! I had no idea how people could get so deep into fitness and calorie counting and health food and stuff until I tried it, but I understand now. It's just FUN. It's turning fitness into a bank (burn calories to earn food) and food into a math problem that doesn't solve for X but sure does solve for delicious! I'm just breathing this right now, and I love MFP for the social aspect. I need group enthusiasm, and that's a lot of what has kept me going. No one in my life would ever ask me "why didn't you do your walk today", not cause they don't care, but because it's not comfortable to ask that face to face. People on here have no problem being in your face, and while it can get to extremes, I really love being held accountable. It sort of takes the pressure off me and my psyche to remain always disciplined and whatnot when the much easier thing is to say "I don't want to have to explain this 1000 calorie overage to people on MFP LOL! You wouldn't think of that, objectively, as a good thing, but it's really made this whole process a lot less stressful. Raise a glass to the power of social-networking for fitness!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    It's turning fitness into a bank (burn calories to earn food) and food into a math problem that doesn't solve for X but sure does solve for delicious!

Can I just say that I love this sentence so much! Word for word, it perfectly describes how I feel about this.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    When I get done with a jog or something, or have an NSV or a good weigh in, my first thought is "I cannot wait to get on MFP with this" Not to brag mind you (okay, maybe a little;)) but mostly cause I know people will give a dam and say "good job". Of the people in my non-computer life, only my husband does that, so the little boost on here is much needed.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Today I ran into three people at work who I worked with a year ago. Each one of them asked me if I was losing weight. I answered each time that I dropped 31 lbs. It was surprising that people noticed even though I have 30 more to go.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's so flipping hard to lose the last 40lbs for me. :(