WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :) I have read some wonderful goals and briefly thought about changing some of mine and using some of yours

welcome.gif Soraya, I have recently taken up meditation after reading "10% Happier" by Dan Harris who was influenced by Deepak Chopra. I get up early in the morning, but my morning is for walking dogs and I meditate in silence later in the day. I hope you'll come back every day and become a regular part of our supportive community

Today I am especially grateful that the darkness does not affect me in any negative way....I am headed out now in the dark to walk Brandy.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ix6hu5n3gpxn.jpg

One of the tools that has helped me in my life journey is writing in a gratitude journal every morning.

My daughter and I communicate (usually through texting) a gratitude each day. I write them in a journal for safe-keeping. We do it at the end of each day and it really makes you appreciate even the smallest of things in your day.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy November everyone!! there is no changing the clocks here in Saskatchewan. So...I am off to change the calendars to November.

Goals for November - GET MY S**T together!!! Seriously - I set goals and get so close to achieving - need to be "ME FIRST"

Later friends
    It is snowing and I am off to the shop to help DH put winter tires on my car. They are already mounted on the rims so just a quick change.

Lillian
    in snowy West Central Saskatchewan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Did my gardening jobs. o:) Sorted out what I need to buy for the Christmas plum pudding. I'm going to take it up to London at Christmas for the communal feast. It's an old recipe from DH's 89 year old aunt. :) Emailed the estate agent and the solicitor. Started my new batch of yoghurt.
    Feel a bit better and more positive, but I'm still aching. Can't figure out what is wrong. Sooooooo annoying. My suspicion is always a UTI. :*

LOVE Heather UK

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,378 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I posted this in the October thread by mistake, and now I have to get caught up with more posts :grin:

Mary You are a lucky girl. DH is definitely a sterling chap! Enjoy your birthday weekend and tell us all about it when you return. Great pictures too.
    bday.gif to both you and
    Janetr Such a pity that DH will not make it home for your birthday! At least you will have some company with your niece.

Kimses Great costume! I don't know who Paula Dean is but I'm sure you must look like her!

Heather Enjoy your get-to-gether in London. What a nice thing to do for DH. I'm sure he appreciated it! Your DGCs are adorable!

DJ I am so sorry that you are having trouble with that knee. Take it easy and let it ease a bit. Have you tried ice on it?

Michelle I am in awe of your exercising routine. You have such a variety of things you do.

Grits I often thought I would have loved to do that! We had a couple of local brats that would have benefited from a good scare. I love my Fitbit Flex. It was a present, so not sure what it cost.

Joyce Weigh the whole lot and divide by no of servings or dish it out into the no of servings and weigh one of them.

Clearing up today after the family visit. I decided to give the visit to Belfast for the fireworks a miss last night as we had had a busy day and had been out walking in the Town Park. I wasn't in the mood for all the crowds. Stayed home and watched Strictly Come Dancing and Dr Who instead.

I did fine on my October goals, although I missed my 164 goal by 2lbs. These plateaus are a fact of life for me! On the plus side, (I think!) I went through my winter trousers and have had to discard six pairs so far because they are so baggy.

November Goals

Start weight: 220lbs (Spring 2014)
    Current weight: 166 (on 1/11)
    November goal weight: 163 (for 30/11)

Daily goals:
    :star: Pre-log/follow through
    :star: balance carbs/protein/fat
    :star: 8+ cups liquids
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility
    :star: 6000+ steps daily
    :star: finish eating at 9pm weekdays
    :star: finish eating at 10pm weekends
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today
    :star: post progress - No Late Night Snacking
    :star: complete Hogwarts challenges
    :star: Post weekly progress reports here :sunglasses:

smiley-happy110.gif

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers for those who need them. :heart:

:star: Welcome to our Newbies! You will find a warm support team here! :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Mindy
    , no I don’t blanch the asparagus first. Just throw on the pan and bake it. I think about 15 to 20 minutes but I just watch it. Can be done anywhere from 375 to 424 degrees if you are cooking something else. Yes, a cabbage steak is just a thick slice of cabbage. For it I normally spread a little EVOO and put it down and flip it so it gets some oil on both sides, then season. I have recently discovered that Costco sells yummy green beans in a bag that are all ready to cook. They are yummy that way too. The Halloween fun at work sounds great and I love your Wicked reply. Rest up, you deserve it.

Margaret, it just makes me sick at my stomach thinking about the mess with your DH’s doctor and meds. I pray it will all be corrected soon.

Gloria, I hope the exact right housing option becomes available for you. I love your fishbowl, btw.

Irish, sorry you weren’t in the mood for the Belfast festivities, but good for you on doing what you wanted. (((Hugs)))

Rori, isn’t it just unfair what our DHs can eat and not gain weight? Just for that one thing alone, they should have to have the children as payback. Lol

Katla, congrats on all of your goals for October. You are inspiring me to cut back on my alcohol. We just so enjoy a cocktail in the evening but I know if I would cut them out, I could drop a few pounds. Ewww what a decision! smiley-eatdrink016.gif You keep up the good work!!!

Lisa, what a difference in a couple of months and lots of work. I’m sure it will all be worth it in the end and it’s something that you two own. Way to go.

Soraya
    , welcome. This is a great place for support and information. We love having members from all over the world. Come often and join right in.

Karen, good for working on your goals. I have to say that I truly don’t stress over Thanksgiving feast any more but unfortunately don’t have anyone to prepare it for this year. It is absolutely about who you are with and not what you serve. I hope you can enjoy it and just laugh about any flub up.

Heather, you are always so positive that I hate to see you down. Of course it happens to all of us at times. Sending you a quart of virtual Happy Dust to sprinkle around. wing010.gif Yes, sometimes when we nap it backfires on us at night. Boo hiss I’m sure some of your more difficult writing has to affect you emotionally but I’m so proud of you for working through it. ((((Hugs)))) Feel better soon.

Cheri and Barbie, I agree that it is good to be grateful for our many blessings. I find myself throughout the day, saying a thank you for something that happens. It can be a green light when on the way to a meeting or a smile from someone in the store. If we just stop to notice, we are constantly surrounded by things to be thankful for. I am so thankful for this wonderful group of women who have been a huge part of my journey for the past year. And I look forward to you being a part of my life going forward. (((Hugs))) to you all.

Lillian, thanks for the reminder to change my calendar. I got so busy with the clocks that I had forgotten that so far. Lol

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m so excited to have finally lost a pound after almost 2 months of no movement. My knee still hurts when I walk on it but none at all other times. I can sit in my chair and move it every which way and feel nothing. Just weird. My back is finally getting better after losing weight so I’m not ready for another ailment. (Not that I can stop it)
    I plan to be more mindful of my goals each day in November. I wish you all the best luck with yours.

November Goals:
    Weigh less at end of the month than beginning.
    Be aware of portion size and reduce it
    Exercise at least 3 days a week (1 being Line Dancing)
    Log all food and drink
    Stay within 1200 calories a day while eating healthy.
    Drink less alcohol than last month.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    AuntieBK: We have Varilux lights in the home office and the living room. Our ceiling lights are now all led's and in the solar temperature zone. Our laundry room tube lights are also in the solar temperature zone but I can't see the brand. :noway:

Margaret: I like your new goals. My DH has a grocery list of autoimmune diseases and I know what it is like to get so caught up in his issues that they take over my every thought. This happened to me last year when he had alarming symptoms that eventually led to surgery. I lost my sense of self for a while. You are wise to choose a goal to avoid getting so caught up in your DH's health issues that it is all you can talk about. I know how challenging that can be. Grace is an excellent word. :heart:

Heather: Get your rest. Your writing is very hard, emotional work and takes both courage and energy. :heart: I'm glad you were able to turn your thoughts to Christmas celebrations. :flowerforyou: What is a UTI? :huh:

Irish Terri: DS is a diehard Doctor Who fan. Last Christmas I found blown glass Dr. Who Christmas ornaments in a local shop. I got DS a Dahlek and DDIL a Robot Dog. They loved them! :bigsmile:

DJ: I like your new goals. :flowerforyou:

DS and DDIL took over our flight plans for the Thanksgiving trip to KY and rearranged everything. We ended up spending about the same amount but get this trip changed so that we fly with DDIL and also have air miles we can use for another trip later. If/when DD moves to Illinois we will have good uses for air miles. for that matter, DS is in the military and due for transfer. We may need airmiles to visit DS & DDIL, too.

This morning I have loads of unusual shoulder aches. I am sure they're from my riding lesson yesterday. I was in and out of the saddle repeatedly learning various things about horse anatomy and the workings of tack, which means I hauled myself up into the saddle enough times that I'm feeling it today. I even stuck my fingers into the recesses of the horse's mouth to learn about its teeth.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I've been reading, just no time to respond.

First, thank you Barbie!

Second ... Margaret ... Hugs!... If your insurance situation allows, move out of your current medical group immediately. Will be thinking and praying every day for you and your husband.

Happy birthday to Janet and Mary!

My October goal was to weigh less on November 1st than I did on October 1st. Accomplished! Down three pounds ... And given my very unhealthy relationship the last two weeks with Halloween candy ... This makes me very happy.

Situations continue to swirl around me over which I have no control. Stress levels are at an all time high here in my home.

So I'm going to keep my November goals simple... I will weigh less on December 1st than I do today.

Beth in Western New York
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Katla - a UTI is a urinary tract infection, something I am prone to. I also worry about my cancer returning. I don't seem to be able to shake this aching back/front/thighs off. I will see how I am in the morning and go for a urine test. I have been feeling on and off a bit fluey for a while.
    I hope your shoulder pain resolves soon. :flowerforyou:

Glad you all reminded me of my calendar. I still have the one I bought in NYC last year and I love turning a new page. <3

Heather UK
  • kimperry_68
    kimperry_68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When you reach a certain age, losing weight is just different. Our metabolism changes, it's harder, our body is changing, our willpower changes and it's very discouraging. I look at these younger women losing weight like I used to be able to and feel like a failure, I'm a stress eater and blow it every time. If I could keep that same 10 lbs off that I have lost over and over again, I would be one slender woman! I am so discouraged and feel so bad about myself, I really need encouragement and motivation from women with my own struggles, I can't be the only one out there!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Re-posting here in November...

Michele in NC - the first thing I thought of when you said you couldn't wedding dress shop with your daughter is to arrange a time with her when she is dress shopping and have her send you pictures so you can see her in the dresses she tries on and make comments. If she takes a friend with her they can send you the picture and you can text her on your phone . Not the same as in person, but it could be a substitute solution.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    Options
    When you reach a certain age, losing weight is just different. Our metabolism changes, it's harder, our body is changing, our willpower changes and it's very discouraging. I look at these younger women losing weight like I used to be able to and feel like a failure, I'm a stress eater and blow it every time. If I could keep that same 10 lbs off that I have lost over and over again, I would be one slender woman! I am so discouraged and feel so bad about myself, I really need encouragement and motivation from women with my own struggles, I can't be the only one out there!

smiley-happy026.gifYou have come to the right place....if you keep coming back and reading the posts, you'll meet awesome women who have found some great ways to lose weight even with the challenges of age, family, job, stress, and health. It can be done. Just reading this thread every day is encouraging and motivating to stay with the plan you've chosen.

t116009.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington t0464.gif
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Carla, I'm 54 years old, and I live outside of Canton, Ohio.

NOVEMBER GOALS
    1. Log food, water, and exercise every day.
    2. Workout (treadmill or run) every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday. If I miss a day I'm challenging myself to make up for it on another day.
    3. I won't eat past 6:00 p.m.
    4. Sign onto Facebook once a day, preferably in the morning, instead of 5,000 times a day.
    5. Make my bed every day.
    6. Stay ahead of my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner so I'm not freaking out on Thanksgiving Eve.

I think that's enough for the month. Don't want to overwhelm myself. ;-)

~~Carla
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!

October goals and outcomes:
    1. Maintain my pound-a-day veggie habit: I almost didn't include this goal for October because I thought it had been so well established. But my record for the month is inconsistent. Must try harder!
    2. Log my food consistently: Here too there is room for improvement. I often began well but gave up toward evening. What use is logging 2/3 of a day? Must try harder here too. (Alas, it won't happen in November.)
    3. Maximum ½ bottle of wine one day per week: Here I did pretty well. The only exception was when hubby and I had enjoyed our weekly ration of wine on Friday night and were then suddenly invited out to dinner with good friends on Saturday.
    4. Lift weights three times a week: Yes! I lifted weights three times a week all month except when I didn't have access to weights. (And this weekend I did squats with the grandchildren as weights.)
    5. Clean or organize or declutter one square meter per day: Almost total failure :disappointed:

November will be a major challenge owing to travel in the Far East, followed immediately by two weeks of intense teaching. If I manage to maintain my current weight I'll be satisfied.

November goals:
    1. Focus on eating veggies if they're available
    2. Be moderate with alcohol at home and avoid it altogether in the Far East
    3. Exercise when there's a chance
    4. Write a bunch

I confess I'm already planning a transgression against goal 2. >:) My husband and I hope to enjoy a Singapore Sling on the verandah at Raffles Hotel. It's an opportunity that simply can't be missed.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    welcome.gif Carla, you have come to the right place for encouragement and support.....I love your goal about signing onto Facebook only once a day.....It has helped me to find ways to limit my computer time so I have more time to be active

t111055.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where the dogs and I walked enough this morning to log 10,000 steps on my pedometer
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,378 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Penny I think that's an excellent exception! Have one for me while you are at it. I also have a problem with de cluttering. I need to be ruthless with my big girl clothes, but old habits are getting in the way. I did discard 6 pairs of trousers today. I don't really need new ones as I have so many in my closet from when I was this weight 20 years ago. I'm waiting until I reach my final goal before I really splurge out!

Carla MFP has replaced Facebook as my go to place each morning. I like to pre-log my meals and check on my friends here.

smiley-happy110.gif

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers for those who need them. :heart:

:star: Welcome to our Newbies! You will find a warm support team here! :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Re-posting here in November...

Michele in NC - the first thing I thought of when you said you couldn't wedding dress shop with your daughter is to arrange a time with her when she is dress shopping and have her send you pictures so you can see her in the dresses she tries on and make comments. If she takes a friend with her they can send you the picture and you can text her on your phone . Not the same as in person, but it could be a substitute solution.

That's a great idea!!!! I hate the iPhone but it does have good points. Gayle Minneapolis
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday to our girls!!!
    Margaret if u need any help let me know, I'm so close in location. DH if u need can help with legal advice n he works with doctors everyday.
    Happy November!!!! It will be in the 70 rest of the week.
    Gayle Minneapolis
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Happy November 1st!! Where has this year gone? Barbie, Thank you for keeping us going. You are such a Blessing. Had a nice evening last night. Took several of the DGC out trick or treating. Got my steps in and had fun. We didn't have many come to our house this year. Downtown and the malls were passing out candy so thinking that was where most of them were going.

Mary--Looks like you are having a lot of fun on your trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Teri--Looks good for the first try. Better then I would do.

Linda--Welcome back!

Mindy--Sounds like a fun time at work. You are lucky to work in a place that having fun is something that happens a lot.

Margaret--I agree DH needs to ask for a different doctor and not worry about what the other doctor thinks. It's his life not hers. Sending prayers and hugs.

Gloria--Pray you find something that is just right for you and the boys. Sounds to me like God is watching over you.

Sylvia--Happy Birthday to DH. Sounds like you are planning a good birthday meal for him.

Lisa--Looking good and ready for business.

Soraya--Welcome, glad to have you join us.

Heather--Hope you feel better soon.

Carla--Welcome.

Well my goals for October went pretty well until we went on our trip. Then I did not log my food, but in the end I am down 2.2 pounds for the month. I will take it.
    Today when I get off I am going to the Salvation Army, as our CMA group is serving supper there. I got the cup cakes made last evening and DH frosted them this morning since I am working. I hope we are done and out of there early as would like to go see the movie (The War Room). It's last night is tonight at the theater downtown. Then I am off the next couple days. Tuesday is our 31st Anniversary. DH has taken the day off and we are just going to spend it together doing whatever we feel like. Looking forward to that.
    Have a good night ladies and remember We are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE

November Goals
    1. Weigh less at the end of month then at begining.
    2. Log every bite.
    3. Stress less --Pray more
    4. Write down something each day I am Thankful for. Today I am Thankful for my family.