WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Irish Terri.....Those wave dudes are HYPNOTIC .... :-) ((((hugs))))) back at ya!
    Becca
    an Oregonian cog

What can I say! I'm into sequence dancing :lol:

I found some cleaners for the white spaces

2k8rvfnvq367.jpeg
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    GOAL POST DAY:

October Goals outcome
    1. Lose six pounds...lost five...happy with that
    2. Find yoga class and attend......did not do but did research a few places and realized for the same amount as four drop in fees per month I could afford a full membership to the local elite Y...and they offer financial aid! So I got the form. Will fill it out this month with all proof documents. And then wait to commit to a monthly fee until I find out about my SSDI. Meanwhile I am following Michelle's example and I found an unopened yoga DVD I will try tonight.
    3. Take dogs for a short walk daily...failed badly...only took the twice a week as I am still too tired from work to even think about taking two large dogs walking beforehand. They are rambunctious and need to be trained better so I am scaling this goal back to taking them every no work days and on work days only doing a leash training session in the yard...you know...stopping every time they pull etc until they learn to walk by me without dragging. The lab passed her puppy class but we have been lax and she has developed some bad pulling behaviors. That are only exacerbated by Miss Lulu our newly adopted Bloodhound. Honestly I think she THINKS she's supposed to pull.
    4. Develop a fifteen minute core strength regimen to do three times per week. Total fail. Will make chart tonight. Denoting three sessions each week and a short list of basic excersize a. I'm thinking small here as I suspect I have a chronic hernia bw my belly button and hip bone..so maybe abdominal clenches working from pelvis up three times, two legged bridges set of ten, deadlifts? With a small dumbbell set ten reps and stair assisted push-ups ten reps too start. Open to suggestions!
    5. Stop drinking coffee after ten to improve sleep. Success! Switched to water processed fancy decaf from WF.
    6. Face financial difficulties by..putting away charge cards..done..has made me much more mindful about spending..making a doable budget...done....keeping track of all spending...done...resume posting on EBAY as this is the season to sell my inherited doll, coin, stamp and toy collections..NEEDS TO BE A PRIORITY!
    Thanks Girls for setting such good examples. None of my successes would have occurred while going about things unintentionally. I feel much better about myself for my progress regardless of not making some of the goals
    Boston Mindy
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of selling Mom's home but if it isn't legally possible then it isn't.

Michele, I like using your rings as the 'something old'. I thought of it after I posted in here last night. Then it would be hers to keep as she wanted. Don't make this situation give you any negative thoughts regarding your daughter's wedding.

My take on holiday meals. I am not an obstainer at all but eating in moderation. For a holiday meal I am not even temped in eating anything that I can eat any day of the week like green beans, rolls, mashed potatoes. I know that several of those foods are even no nos for some of you. But I jsut leave them off and concentrate on the foods I don't normally get. I use a small plate so that it looks full, the only second helping I get is my nieces fruit salad. I get slivers of deserts, none of a pumpkin.

Well no doctor's office have called me today so I will call tomorrow.

When I got my new phone plan a month ago, I split a plan with my daughter. Now before when we have signed a loan for her and she has missed payments, we have just payed them and then Charlie has just payed it off. I was beginning to worry that this phone payment was going to be the same. The payment was due October 23 and she hadn't payed me yet. This weekend I asked her if she had put it on bill pay to my checking account like what she said she was going to do. She has not but she brought a payment by today. Since I am used to making $50/month phone payment and this will be a $151 payment, she better do this right. We have talked about my brothers enabling their sons drug problem by paying thier living expenses which allowed them to use work money on drugs. So I hope we don't develop a problem.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Riding on the way to go pick up the bug b4 we go home. They put disc breaks in it
  • darlenemm60
    darlenemm60 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi! This is the first time I've posted anything on one of the message boards. I have been working on making health changes for several months now and myfitnesspal has been a great help. I've done well so far but we are coming into the time of year that is really difficult for me to navigate in a healthy way. I love baking and the holidays are the time that I tend to do a lot of it. This year has to be different. I can't pig out on baked goods and hope I'll do better in the new year. So I'm feeling the need for a little extra support in sticking to my goals. Thus, my reason for posting. :D

November Goals:

1. Love myself
    2. Keep calories between 1200 and 1500
    3. Walk or run at least 10,000 steps per day
    4. Work to consistently improve my performance in Pilates
    5. Find a work out between Pilates classes that I enjoy
    6. Meditate daily
    7. Be kind to myself

Thanks for listening.
    D in Kansas
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Kim – I bought the kind of stabilizer that the Hancock employee told me to buy when I said I would be embroidering names on polo shirts. She called it tear-away. It feels a little like regular paper. DH thought the letters were a little thin, too, so next time I will use a different font, or try to make the font thicker. Also, chalk the fabric so I can line things up better. I wish the letters were taller, but that’s what you get when you buy a cheap machine. Hard to say what other exciting things I could still find . . . . Thanks for your opinion and suggestions ! ! !

Carla – Facebook can be a problem (time-drainer) if I’m not careful, and DH isn’t allowed on it at all. DS almost never checks his. I’m glad I don’t get any alerts. Keep strong !

Mary – love the cartoon. My house does not have a 5 second rule, it is more like a 5 hour rule (not quite, but lol ! ) and DH and DS will eat almost anything. One time I actually had to say “Payne, stop licking the support beam (in the front of the grocery store)”. Yuck ! ! ! But at least I know that he has a strong immune system.

Carol – Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics. I hope I can step into the ocean in this lifetime. Looks amazing.

Becca – you and your DH made me laugh. I’m so glad you can have a great time doing such a possibly mundane chore as grocery shopping. Thanks !

Sylvia – Good job helping your Royals. Cheers !

Jenna – Although I rarely drink adult beverages, when I am in Reno, I force myself to drink a bottle of water between every glass of anything alcoholic. However, if you are “all or nothing” I hope you can find the system that works for you. Hugs ! ! ! (and a boot in the caboose as needed).

Peach – Welcome back. You have been missed. I hope you find the strength and peace you need in this difficult time. Also that you find the time to take care of yourself in whatever manner works for you. Hugs ! ! !

Susb – Thanks for your motivating story. Hugs ! ! !

DJ – You Can Do It !

Well, I am happy for her, but my co-worker has now lost so much weight that she is less than me. That makes me the heaviest in the office. Time to ramp things up again. I need new motivation, and I need to find it within myself. I deserve it ! ! ! Ok, I think I am convinced. Now, strength, will-power (or won’t-power). As much movement as my joints can tolerate. Nothing unhealthy shall pass these lips ! ! !

DH finally had a little bit of a revelation last weekend; he said “you know, since I stopped drinking pop, my legs don’t hurt as bad, and I have half as many Charlie horses as before”. I hope when he returns to the doctor next week that he sees a weight decrease, too. It would be nice to have his support, instead of him just eating what he wants when he wants regardless of my feelings. We’ll see. But it would do everyone good to have less Pepsi and Mt. Dew in the house (I drink less than 1 a month, when I need caffeine N O W .)

I’m only on page 3, and my work day is done. I need to enter all my radio codes and make supper, but I will try to catch up again later today, and if that doesn’t work out, I will be back tomorrow.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where it is 72 and sunny)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Terri – Tear away is not the best choice, it is perfect for very light weight fabric or infant clothes but …
    So stabilizer comes in 3 kinds tear away, wash away, and traditional (which is cut away) Then it comes in different weights… Think of it like interfacing, lighter weight for light fabric, and heavier for heavy fabric. I would buy a medium or light weight and then use 2 layers for heavier things.

Did you hoop the stabilizer in or just put it behind your embroidery? It should be hooped in. This is probably boring for the rest of the gang… I’ll pm you

smiles Kim in N.Cal
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Darlene, see becca's quote about baking it has been getting lots of requotes on the forum. I love baking for the holidays but plan on gifting everything-- not have it hang around the house.

I will be working on reminding myself that eating is not entertainment (thanks barbie) I will allow some leeway to enjoy something special, but there is nothing special about overeating--for me it just hurts, why should i hurt myself because it is the holidays?

I also drink a glass of water between every glass of wine, boy that really works for me!

Karen from ny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • annpnw
    annpnw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a first post, so I hope I'm doing this right. So encouraging to read what people have shared/thank you. I'm 61 and a lifelong exerciser until recently (after a total knee replacement and entering semi-retirement). I have struggled with weight since my early 40s despite exercising, and have been on high blood pressure meds since my early 50s. I can yo-yo diet quite successfully, but after a health scare I now know I have to fix this permanently if I want to live long and prosper.
    So here are my November goals:
    1. Record everything, every day - try my best to stick to my food goals (don't have to be perfect, but as close as I can get).
    2. Exercise 4-5 days a week (walking, small weights, swimming) - at least 30 minutes each time.
    3. Spend at least 5 minutes thinking about how good life is, thinking I'm an ok person just the way I am (no fat shaming), and thinking how grateful I am for so many things (thanks for the inspirational gratitude ideas!).
    4. Spend some time every day celebrating, preparing, and/or enjoying HEALTHY food. I love to cook, and when I stick with healthy things the weight comes off. I need to continuously remind myself that healthy food can taste just as good, and be just as delightful, as the stuff that doesn't help my health and heart.

Thanks, all - Ann in the Pacific Northwest
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Kirbys results are in:
    4hrs 22min 49sec. 213 males ran the marathon distance. He was 154th overall. Out of 111 he was 55h overall in his age group (60-64). He did a 10.0 minute mile. Not bad for a 26.2 mile run!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    annpnw wrote: »
    This is a first post, so I hope I'm doing this right. So encouraging to read what people have shared/thank you. I'm 61 and a lifelong exerciser until recently (after a total knee replacement and entering semi-retirement). I have struggled with weight since my early 40s despite exercising, and have been on high blood pressure meds since my early 50s. I can yo-yo diet quite successfully, but after a health scare I now know I have to fix this permanently if I want to live long and prosper.
    So here are my November goals:
    1. Record everything, every day - try my best to stick to my food goals (don't have to be perfect, but as close as I can get).
    2. Exercise 4-5 days a week (walking, small weights, swimming) - at least 30 minutes each time.
    3. Spend at least 5 minutes thinking about how good life is, thinking I'm an ok person just the way I am (no fat shaming), and thinking how grateful I am for so many things (thanks for the inspirational gratitude ideas!).
    4. Spend some time every day celebrating, preparing, and/or enjoying HEALTHY food. I love to cook, and when I stick with healthy things the weight comes off. I need to continuously remind myself that healthy food can taste just as good, and be just as delightful, as the stuff that doesn't help my health and heart.

Thanks, all - Ann in the Pacific Northwest

welcome.gif Ann, I came to MFP and this thread at age 62 after almost a lifetime of fighting with my weight. I didn't think I could succeed but I gave it another try and thanks to the wonderful women on this thread, daily logging of food and exercise, seeking every opportunity to be active, and staying open minded to new Ideas, I lost the weight I wanted to lose and have kept it off for a few years. I have an eating and exercise plan that works for me. I hope you will become part of our friendly community. There are several of us from the Pacific Northwest and as well as from all over the US, Canada, and many places across the ocean.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip - Kirby did fantastic! Tell him congratulations on his time!

Mary from Minnesota
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Wrapping up. Stayed on plan. 1 hour yoga class and tracked all food. I'm really glad I sent all that candy OUT of the house.
    good night...sleep well.

Kimses in MA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm pooped!

I walked with my friend, took the kids to school, went to run an errand in Joplin, then came home to clean house and bake a cake for hubby's birthday. Then waited around for the heating and air guy. Then picked up all three kids and brought them to our house. My son was not having a good day health wise, so he opted out of coming over for the birthday dinner. So once we got home, I set the kids down to work on homework while I started making dinner. They can't function for two seconds without either asking for my attention or fighting with each other. When hubby got home all five of us took all three dogs out for their walk. That was actually fun. Then I served the dinner and the kids played for a while before I took them home. I don't know why they wear me out so badly, but they do. I loaded the dishwasher before we left to take them home, so at least I don't have that hanging over my head. Now I'm ready for bed and it's only 8:00.

Thanks for your kind comments about my bowls. These are for an event in another town, not ours. That one won't be till October of 2016. The teacher here is going to have the students make their own bowls for that one. That will free me up to make my own stuff. I'm embarrassed to admit that for these free bowls I don't go to too much trouble. They aren't really anything special. But they will all have my contact information fired into the bottom, so I don't want anything too crummy. Some potters use these events to clear out their seconds, or give junky pots that don't have their names on them. I'm thinking of it as more of a promotional tool. I'm toying with the idea of putting a qr code on the bottom.

Irish Terri and Heather and anyone else in the UK - have you seen the new show that's like a cook-off competition except it's potters making pots? It's on BBC2, I think. The Great Pottery Throw Down. I hope I'll be able to watch it on line.

Welcome to the new ladies! Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing. This thing really works if you stick with it. I've lost 130 pounds so far and this thread has been a huge part of that. Just 30 pounds to go.

Good night ladies.

Sylvia
  • annpnw
    annpnw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouraging words, Barbie - nice to be here. I will read more, to get to know everyone.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    bpoj92hv005d.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee- Aw Terri, we put the "Flamboyant" in the mundane I tell ya! When we went out during the summer, we dressed in 1940's. I knocked on my neighbors door because I wanted her "stamp of approval" in our garb. She asked plainly, "why are you dressed like that". I said, "Because we can". Simply put but its a great excuse to do a menagerie of things without reason.