WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sharon, I would love to go to a figure skating gala. One time many years ago I bought tickets for my two girls, my mom, sister and myself to go to a skating show. I don't think my husband has ever realized how much I payed for the tickets. One of my girls had friends who had 2nd row tickets and had an empty seat and so she got to sit 2nd row. I would love to see a competition that I can see the ones who don't get on TV. Those skaters are our stars of tomorrow and I would like to see them.

Well I didn't get any calls from doctors this morning so I called. We have 2 hospitals here and both of them are on different computer systems. One good thing if you are a participating doctor is that you can see your patients complete medical records. We have our lab and xrays done in a satellite lab out by us. It is part of the hospital we both worked at. Charlei's GI doctor is part of the other hospital. So all of his lab, even though it was ordered by his GI doc, got sent to his family doc and gto entered into that computer system. So the GI doc hadn't gotten his lab work at all. They did do stool test in the office. I am a bit upset they didn't call us. They did a test for Clostridium defficil, commonly called C diff, and it is positive! This is a bacteria in the colon that can really spread. If he were in the hospital or nursing home he would be put in isolation. So we have to use two separate bathrooms, really wash well, bleach any of his undies, clean bathroom well. I sure wish they had called us instead of us calling them. I would think a c diff positive would be red flagged and them calling us right away. Plus they didn't tell us when or if he needs to be rechecked.

A ferris wheel erector set. I like that. I will have to google that and see if I can order it from some where.

Joyce, Indiana where I am a little upset at the medical system here.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Well ladies, I made the Christmas pudding, which is a very rich dried fruit and suet boiled pudding. We boiled it for nearly five hours. This evening, when I tried to lift it out of the saucepan, it slipped and the Pyrex basin broke! ! ! :sad: We have had to throw the whole thing away! Just too afraid of there being glass in there!
    We will make it again in a week or so. :'(
    The pudding was a very old recipe from DH 's aunt. She is 89 and came to DH's party! Today, before the basin broke I sent her a Touchnote postcard with this photo on, thanking her for the recipe and for coming to the party. I just love the postcards. My DDIL often sends one as a thankyou note.

ezewc7srb9sv.jpg

Loving the photos of the walks! Our weather is mild and damp at the moment.

Went to the W I meeting and made two gift tags and a 3D Christmas card. Nice. And very easy. I also bought some Christmas cards for charity.

Still got my pains. Will make an appointment tomorrow. Two of my friends I am seeing in London this week are retired doctors so I will ask their opinion. :* Sorry for others'pains as well, Barbie, Mary, Katla, DJ.etc etc etc. :sad:

Miriam - Hope all goes smoothly! Congratulations!

Love Heather.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Miriam congratulations on the adoption.

Pip great picture of you and Kirby.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Jenna, I have stayed away from bread and pasta for a long time primarily because they have so many calories in such a small portion...I eat veggies instead that allow my a huge pile of food for the same calories as a modest piece of bread.

:)DJ, when I was having trouble with my back, I went to line dance class anyway and sat and did the steps with my feet as I sat. I recited the cues for the dances with the teacher and helped my recollection.

:)annpnw, I love your term "gateway drug".....I have a long list of those including cheese and bread....I never think of having just one slice...I think of having the whole package.

:)Penny, how great that it is your heart rate monitor and not your heart that is malfunctioning.

:)Susan, I agree that I have already had a lifetime supply of brownies and don't need any more (the same can be said for alcohol, bread, peanut butter, and a few other things).

:):)MIriam, hooray

:)Mindy, the boot is the one they prescribe for plantar fasciitis, in fact, that's the only diagnosis that Medicare accepts for the boot even though my doctor said that it's recommended for nerve compression syndrome which is what she thinks it is. She recommended them on both feet but I started with the leg that bothered me the most. I slept OK but that might have been partly because the drug she prescribed for nerve pain has drowsiness as a possible side effect. It felt good to have my foot supported and I am considering getting one for the other foot. I'll wait another day to decide.

:) I got a call today from the doctor's office where they'll do the nerve conduction test. It will be November 20. This doctor is about an hour away from here. If I had wanted to have the test locally, I would have had to wait even longer.

:):'( We watched DWTS today partly during lunch and partly while I rode the exercise bike. At this point in the competition I like all the stars but I think the star that went home was a fair choice. Jake and I agree on our two favorites and on the two we think should be the next to go home.

t113042.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather...hate when baking disaster strikes, ah well no use crying over spilt milk, broken glass, etc. My silliest mishap baking occured when i baked a pumpkin pie for my dmil (meeting her for the first time in fact) i was using store bought crust forthe pie but forgot to remove the wax paper lining between the pie crust...we cut into the pie, took a bite and discovered wax paper between the filling and the crust...so embarassing! And yes, it is a story retold time and time again much to everyones enjoyment! Karen from ny
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Pip – WAY way way awesome Kirby!!!!
    Ann – welcome! Good goals
    Sylvia – I went back and found the pot pic… they are gorgeous! Amazing
    Barbie – that foot splint looks awful! I am a tummy sleeper – I’d never sleep with that… Glad you were able to!

Miriam – glad the adoption process is moving along… are the kids excited too? This has to be both excitement of the security/stability/love of being with you and the grief for what could not be.

Heather – so sad about the bowl breaking! I had that happen once and did exactly what you did, dump it and start over – it always seems sad to toss so many ingredients, but it is the only option.

Yesterday it rained a good part of the day, so this mornings hike was the one this group does on paved paths for the rainy times, well I had never done the “rain” walk but assumed it was about the same length as our hill walk, WRONG, it was 7+ miles, mostly flat, but that is 3 miles more than I was expecting. It took about 25 min longer and oh can I feel it. But I burned more calories too!

I am doing some embroidery for a shop I don’t usually work for – it is their “overflow” and they do things very differently than I do, it is taking a bunch more attention than I usually have to give it.

November Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening (October 3 out of 4)
    Walk everyday – Oct. 125 mile (but lost 4 days with no computer)- would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 –new hike,
    W2-
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hello, all... reading, but not writing much. Over 5,000 words on the book, rocking along on the sequel to This Little Pig. They're installing the broadband at the warehouse tomorrow, so I'll be able to get some work/writing done there. Yay! DH just got home, time to go make chicken stir fry...

Much love,
    Lisa in sunny, beautiful West Texas.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Barbie, sorry about that awful boot. Mary, sorry your foot hurts too. Sorry Heather's hip hurts. sometimes getting old is just no fun, but it is still better than the alternative!

Signed the adoption petitions this morning! Will have a court date by the end of the week and a hearing in about a month! Yippee!

Miriam wow getting close. Very exciting.

Janetr OKC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    o6ftg1o397gb.jpeg

This is one of my bowls with decal embellishments. Once it's fired the black will turn reddish brown/sepia. Tomorrow morning I'll get to see them all finished.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Newest baby boy llama born today. So cute.

Janetr OKC

ymsbywqz7oon.jpeg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Janetr- do you raise llamas?

Sylvia- I can hardly wait to see the end results!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Janet, he's SO CUTE!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    13,000 steps
    138 minutes of dog walking
    90 minutes riding the exercise bike

:)Kim, it never occurred to me that the foot splint was less of a problem because I sleep on my back

:)Janetr, love the llama....I am reading a book now with a story that includes alpacas.

smiley-sleep012.gif I've been up since 3:15 AM so I'm off to bed soonl

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif
  • janetr7476
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Janetr- do you raise llamas?

Sylvia- I can hardly wait to see the end results!

Mary from Minnesota

We don't raise them. They actually belong to our next door neighbors/best friends. Jack takes care of them most of the winter for them when they go t o AZ. We will be going to AZ with them this year so not sure who will be care taker. They have 11 acres in an L shape, our house is in the corner of the L.

Janetr okc
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet, we are going to be in OK later this month for the girls' baby brother's baptism, but it won't be in OKC! His new mom is from Tulsa, and that is where the baptism will be, at their family church. BUT we will be visiting them occasionally now that I have the legal paperwork in hand (termination of parental rights making me their legal guardian). I was not going to take the chance of running in to their biological parents since they are often in the OKC area. The one fear the girls had about me adopting them was that they wouldn't ever get to see their baby brother and cousins (their dad's brother adopted their baby brother). I promised them we will visit often. Maybe some time we can get together!
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    About thin people :) I once read that to learn how to eat like a thin person you need to understand how they manage their food. I took my close thin friend to lunch and interviewed her. She has a very very strict set of rules that she rarely wavers from (like low carbs, none after lunch and a salad for her main meal every night and then adds some additional protein). It's her discipline that keeps her thin. She says if she has chocolate she'll lose control. She has the discipline that I admire (although sometimes I think it borders on obsession..I could use a little obsession like that)

So Susan, as you said, there are few naturally thin people that can eat anything without thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm done for the day. An hour on the elliptical and logged all my food and stayed on plan.
    img17.gif

Kimses in MA