6 Months In, 22 kg (48.5 pounds) Down!

Options
Hello all! Today is my 6 month MFP anniversary and so I thought I'd mark the occasion by sharing my progress photos.

My Stats:
Height: 176 cm (5'9 in)
Starting weight: 97kg (214 pounds)
Current weight: 74.9kg (165 pounds)
Time taken: 6 months, from 1 May 2015 until 1 November 2015

I did it by shifting my mindset to stop trying to treat weight loss like a race. I focused on what I could do in the long term instead.

I ate between 1700 to 1850 calories a day. I ate lots and lots of protein and vegetables and limited (but did not completely cut out) my sugar intake.

I trained by jogging 5K three times a week and did an hour of heavy resistance training three times a week.

That's it! No magic tricks, no shortcuts. I just kept going and going, and now as I approach a new challenge (maintenance), I'll have to keep going some more!

Oh- and very importantly, I followed every single piece of advice vismal gave in his thread here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1276219/i-went-from-morbidly-obese-to-6-pack-abs-ask-me-anything

That man really knows what he's talking about!

Anyway, I'm super happy to be able to post a success story here, and I know that you can all do it too! :)

7yxaowiav5el.jpg

yv5kdiv68zmf.jpg

Replies

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You look great! Thanks for all the info! I am at your start weight now. 165 is my goal too. Your success is inspiring :)
  • EdB9992015
    EdB9992015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great work, well done :)
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great success story!
  • Trishfitz78
    Trishfitz78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Amazing result!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! PHENOMENAL!! What resistance program did you use?! :smiley:
  • saraghali
    saraghali Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Amazing...I can't believe you were 97kg. I am 180cm /97 kg and I look a way heavier:( can you please give me some tips?
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! :smiley:
    Syneea wrote: »
    Congratulations!! PHENOMENAL!! What resistance program did you use?! :smiley:

I used a personal trainer because prior to 6 months ago, I had never lifted a dumbbell in my LIFE. I wanted to make sure my form was ok.

Anyway, she put me on a program similar to ICF 5x5 I think, and I have been doing it with her for 6 months.

The main thing I learned from doing weights for the first time is not to be afraid of lifting really heavy!
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    Awesome job! You look great! Thanks for all the info! I am at your start weight now. 165 is my goal too. Your success is inspiring :)

Thanks so much, I'm really glad to hear that! The thing that surprised me was how quickly it came off- it didn't take as long as I thought it would! You can do it!
    saraghali wrote: »
    Amazing...I can't believe you were 97kg. I am 180cm /97 kg and I look a way heavier:( can you please give me some tips?

A few people told me that and I think it's because I tend to carry my weight in my hips, legs and butt, not my stomach. So I can get away with being a bit heavier and not looking it (I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse!)

The best tips I can give are these:
    - Don't deprive yourself of food. I lost all this eating 1700-1800 calories a day and I did it without feeling hungry. Weight loss is not about starving yourself!
    - Eat lots of protein and cut the sugar to help keep you fuller for longer.
    - When logging all your food, weigh EVERYTHING on a food scale and measure out all your condiments including sauces, oils, etc.
    - For me, getting into the exercise was all about creating a routine, so I made sure to get up at the same time each morning to exercise, whether it be cardio or weights.
    - Re liquids, drink water, black coffee or tea and limit soft drinks, juices and alcohol so you have more calories to play with for delicious, delicious food!
    - Take each day at a time and try not to think about how much you have to lose overall. It will happen, it's just about consistency and patience.

Hopefully that helps!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats girl you look great
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, you look wonderful!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Amazing accomplishment ! I'm curious, are you somewhat active during the day? We have similar stats however I have an office job so I'm sedentary, I have 1200 cal per day which I never accomplish. It's bothering me, I really want to know if this should be my calorie target, your was 1700? That sounds a lot better. Did you eat at a deficit? Do you think the weight lifting made a big difference? Thanks :smile:
  • BritBoogaloo
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Amazing accomplishment ! I'm curious, are you somewhat active during the day? We have similar stats however I have an office job so I'm sedentary, I have 1200 cal per day which I never accomplish. It's bothering me, I really want to know if this should be my calorie target, your was 1700? That sounds a lot better. Did you eat at a deficit? Do you think the weight lifting made a big difference? Thanks :smile:

I'm a lawyer, so I spend a lot of my working day sitting down in front of a desk or at court. I get my exercise done early in the morning at about 6am before work.

What is your height and how much do you weigh? People always talk about 1200 cals being the magic number but unless you're tiny, it may be too low. If your stats are similar to mine, then I suggest giving my calorie range (1700-1850 l) a try. I just think of it like this: do it if you can handle it in the long term. If 1200 cals per day is something you can rarely accomplish, never mind in the long term, then it's probably too low for you. It's not a race!

I did eat at a deficit of about 500 cals a day (but it's probably a bit higher than this because I don't log my exercise and I don't eat back my calories).

Weight lifting made a huge difference, I think! Creating more muscle mass means that my body is burning calories at a high rate, even when I'm not exercising. It's pretty awesome!

• jmperry18
    jmperry18 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look great!
  • ImOneStepCloser
    ImOneStepCloser Posts: 334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    saraghali wrote: »

A few people told me that and I think it's because I tend to carry my weight in my hips, legs and butt, not my stomach. So I can get away with being a bit heavier and not looking it (I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse!)

The best tips I can give are these:
    - Don't deprive yourself of food. I lost all this eating 1700-1800 calories a day and I did it without feeling hungry. Weight loss is not about starving yourself!
    - Eat lots of protein and cut the sugar to help keep you fuller for longer.
    - When logging all your food, weigh EVERYTHING on a food scale and measure out all your condiments including sauces, oils, etc.
    - For me, getting into the exercise was all about creating a routine, so I made sure to get up at the same time each morning to exercise, whether it be cardio or weights.
    - Re liquids, drink water, black coffee or tea and limit soft drinks, juices and alcohol so you have more calories to play with for delicious, delicious food!
    - Take each day at a time and try not to think about how much you have to lose overall. It will happen, it's just about consistency and patience.

Hopefully that helps!

That does help us out a lot. many people talk about 1200 calories a day and when I try that I end up quitting. It is too hard to eat on a low calories!

• ImOneStepCloser
    ImOneStepCloser Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    By the way, YOU LOOK GREAT!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well done. I am giving you a big round of applause for losing your weight in such a healthy manner.
    Also, thank you for taking the time to share with others how you did it.

Cheers, h.
  • Littlepeeper
    Littlepeeper Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look amazing.
  • agereaix
    agereaix Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great work! thank you for posting your results are so inspiring
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    From your starting pic I would never have guessed you were over 200lbs - you look fabulous!! :)
  • BritBoogaloo
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your kind words and support! It really means a lot to me :smile:
  • Plump2FitPanaQT
    Plump2FitPanaQT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You look great!! So motivating!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!