Accents: Which make you melt and which drive you mad?

Options

Replies

• BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised that people like American accents, and even more surprised to hear that about Canadian accents (I'm Canadian). American accents do nothing for me - though I like a lovely Georgia drawl, I just don't find it sexy. And some American accents turn me off completely, like the Arkansas accent.

I think Anglophone Canadians sound cute but sort of dorky - not sexy (though it's a well-known fact that Canadian men are among the hottest on Earth).

Like everyone else, a Kiwi boy can basically have anything he wants from me as long as he keeps talking. I guess that's thanks to Jemaine and Bret.

I was in love with an Indian boy once (from HP in Northern India) and he used to grab my cheeks and say, "googly moogly moosh" which I thought was the cutest thing ever. Speaking English, his accent did nothing for me, but when he spoke Hindi my panties fell off. Something about the rrrrrrrrs I think... and the fact that he was smoking hot didn't hurt.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Irish, Scots :heart:

New York :sick:
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I just want to stress how much I severely dislike Rhode Island accents.
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    Being a Brit; Irish accents every time, especially southern Irish - I could listen to that accent all day long. *sorry nearly forgot French and Italian accents too*

Not sure I despise any accent but a very thick Liverpool accent (my own home town as well) makes me cringe plus Birmingham accents always seem to make people sound depressed.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Melt- actually I like rarer ones!
    Mad- None

I appreciate the diversity
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Love southern belle. Can't stand Boston.

I can't imagine why you don't like a Boston accent, you don't want to go for a ride in my cah? We could have a beah!:smile:
  • f1redshoes
    f1redshoes Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm Scottish, but several Scottish accents still get me every time - I love a Glaswegian accent even though I'm from near there myself! I also love most of the Northern Irish accents, barring a few.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Melt:
    - Irish! :love:
    - Oxfordshire
    - Bristol (makes you sound like pirate!)
    - Scottish
    - Some Australian (no too thick though)

Mad:
    - Dutch (surprised no-one else mentioned it :p)
    - German
    - Spanish
    - Indian
    - Scouse
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Canadians totally don't even have an accent. Except the Newfies.

Love-Newfies!

Oh, yes they do. Newfoundland is just more pronounced. Variation in Canadian accents just as with everywhere else.

Maybe it's cause I'm Southern Ontarian. We sound just like Michiganders to me.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I just want to stress how much I severely dislike Rhode Island accents.

Rhode Island accents combine the worst aspects of both Boston and New York...so you drive your "cahh" to the "mawl"

That said, my family is half from Boston and half from New York, so I have a soft spot for both, as they remind me of home.

I used to love a soft southern accent, but now that I live in the south I find many of them grating.

For me the worst is that flat midwestern Chicago-Wisconsin accent.

I could listen to Irish and Spanish accents all day and night.
  • CharlieMurtagh
    CharlieMurtagh Posts: 1,742 Member
    Options
    The Irish and American Accents make me go weak at the knees......

People always say British accent lol honestly I don't get the appeal ...but then again I am British!
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Those Canadian accents drive me crazy...oh wait...I'm Canadian...I'll just shut up now, that should solve the problem.

Can't really say I'm a huge sucker for any accent really...I work in a very diverse atmosphere
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Women with British accents sound sexy.

Guys with Austrailian accents or Scottish accents sound cool.

Prefer not to say which ones drive me nuts; mostly because I can't tell where they come from.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Melt: All accents, but especially a good ol' southern boy accent, since I'm a southern belle and all

Drive me mad: Street language...that's not really an accent, but this is my dang answer, lol. (for example, let me check out your crib. My crib? I don't have a baby)
    Rant complete.
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love Australian accents and English accents in general (as in England)

As for accents I don't like... I'm not a big fan of southern (American) accents. The one I'd say I hate the most is any version of what we would call Ebonic dialect (dialect? accent?).

I'm a New Englander personally. I'm not sure what I sound like because I grew up in New Haven, CT and am influenced by the likes of Boston and Long Island with a touch of Rhode Island lol
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    English/Irish/Scottish are my favorite, but as a fan of sociolinguistics I find them all fascinating.

That said, I may or may not have a tiny crush on Ferb (yes, from Phineas and Ferb) based solely on his accent (yes, I know he's like 16 :p)
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    An Irish lilt or a Scots brogue will do it for me every time! The only accent that drives me mad is the one I can't understand.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Irish and Polish make me melt...

Spanish scares me...im puerto-rican and my mother has an accent i believe this stems from my childhood of discipline hah
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Melt: All accents, but especially a good ol' southern boy accent, since I'm a southern belle and all

Drive me mad: Street language...that's not really an accent, but this is my dang answer, lol. (for example, let me check out your crib. My crib? I don't have a baby)
    Rant complete.

bfc960044367b9154658e1b18db5c09db6f3292fded3b2f66b4e7f10290fab39.jpg
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Melt: Kiwi/Oz/Japanese lol
    Mad: Not any that I can think of.