has anyone else stopped eating fruit?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you feel that particular food item is a waste, then eat something else.

Fruit and veggies are healthy and good for us, delivering vitamins and minerals we need along with fiber we can use. They are part of a healthy diet for most people.

Don't quit your fruit. Crisps, sure. Fruit, no.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, lots of foods have the same amount of calories but may not do as much nutritionally for me or seem worth it due to the portion size I can enjoy. I make choices. I do eat fruit when I feel like it and it isn't that difficult to fit it in.
    I log my day in advance so no surprises on calorie counts. Maybe try pre-logging more.
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i don't eat Fruit...just some veggies.. i do eat Avocardo but i understand thats a flowing plant..anyway food diary is open to see
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try eating "hard" fruits such as apples and pears. Usually fruits with softer flesh like oranges, bananas, peaches and kiwis have the higher fructose content and therefore higher calorie count.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    How can a fruit be a waste of calories?
    Your logging is very incomplete, but you have treats in there, so it sounds more like a matter of priorities/taste. Skip something else, add more fruit.

as written above, I wasn't logging properly at all, primarily because of the baking!! Now that I'm doing this for real, logging will be complete....

Obviously its not an actual waste of calories, it is just so high and when you compare that to foods that are not as healthy, it can seem a waste... It was a bit tongue in cheek,

This makes no sense to be honest. Are you saying you are trying to save calories for less healthy food? If yes, it is a choice, to not eat fruit and eat something less healthy with the same calories. You could say the same for any food.
    Say you have a slice of cake that has 350 calories. This could be approximately 3 bananas, or 4 apples, or a medium steak, or a serving of pasta with tomato sauce or a 3-4 egg omelette and so on. Why would you consider the fruit as a waste? If the fruit is the thing you love the least, it is a choice to skip them. For someone else, skipping the steak and having cake for dinner might sound better. It is a choice.
  • film_anna
    film_anna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Very intelligent response LernRach. Do not restrict your diet so much that it goes into starvation mode.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You just have to accept that there will be calories in real food with real nutrients ;)

I love fruit, but I have limited it to three servings a day, and I portion out larger fruits that don't spoil when "opened", like melons, pomegranate, pomelo, pineapple, mango, even large oranges - sharon/khaki would fall into this group if it were a fruit I'd eat (too sweet, too little flavor, for my taste). Things like apples, maybe pears, have to be eaten in one go because they get brown and disgusting fast. I loved it when I came across some delicious mini Granny Smiths and Red Delicious at Easter. I slice and freeze bananas and use 100 grams with milk and 80 grams frozen berries in a smoothie.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Be careful with drinking smoothies INSTEAD of fruit, they don't keep you as full for as long as just eating the fruit. Your body digests the liquid far quicker than the fruit itself. However, they are good in their own right.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    of course i log it when i eat, the problem I find is that psychologically my 170 calories on a piece of fruit could almost be a packet of salt and vinegar crisps..... yummmmmm ( ye i know macros etc)

True but the overall volume of food will be more generally which should be more effective at keeping you fuller. The crisps will be say 40g and the sharon fruit will be closer to 200g (so almost 5 times more).
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned throughout my weight loss phase and now in the maintenance phase-I will never, ever cut out any foods that I like. That's just setting myself up for failure. Instead I focus on eating the things I enjoy in moderation.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Lol, I think some of you took what I said a little too literally! Obviously fruit is better than crisps, obviously it is a choice you make, obviously crisps don't fill you up... I was just shocked that my healthy choice was so high in calories...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not by taste a fruit eater, unless you want to count tomatoes. I eat a ton of tomatoes.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is steel cut Oatmeal with a banana and 4 oz. of berries. Then I eat more through the day. If I wasn't eating fruit I'd eat candy or ice cream. No way I'm giving it up!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope and never will. I eat fruit every day and make room for treats when I want them. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't eat that much fruit- I'd rather have ice cream. I have an 1-1.5 oz of frozen (then thawed) black berries with my yogurt - and that's about it. And technically a tomatoe with my eggs- but otherwise- not really.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No, I like fruit, and think it's pretty filling for the calories.

I tend to eat a lot more of it in the summer when it's in season, though (right now I have lots of apples I'm eating up).
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fruit. The sugar doesn't agree with me. I tend to stick with the fruits that most people think of as veggies -- bell peppers and cucumbers. And I eat a lot of veggies. As long as you eat plenty of those there's really no need to eat fruit.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I saw a documentary about people who deliberately eat low calorie constantly, with the hope of living longer, since studies of rats show them living twice as long on a low calorie diets. Anyway, one of the things they would do was peel their fruit, and just eat the peel, saying this was where the micronutrients were and the flesh was mostly water and sugar - it was apples in the example. I wouldn't feel right wasting the rest of the fruit myself, but anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there.
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I saw a documentary about people who deliberately eat low calorie constantly, with the hope of living longer, since studies of rats show them living twice as long on a low calorie diets. Anyway, one of the things they would do was peel their fruit, and just eat the peel, saying this was where the micronutrients were and the flesh was mostly water and sugar - it was apples in the example. I wouldn't feel right wasting the rest of the fruit myself, but anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there.

Dr. Michael Mosley goes into this a bit in his BBC documentary Eat, Fast & Live Longer. Some pretty interesting research coming out about longevity of life and how it relates to how we eat.
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit is best. Strawberries, grapefruit don't have many calories at all.