has anyone else stopped eating fruit?

Options

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are getting at. Honestly, I'm at the point where if I want chips, I just eat the darn chips--I just portion it out. If what I'm really wanting is salty chips, no apple is going to make me feel satisfied. I feel better for just having a serving of what I really want and moving on!

I have been enjoying about 3-4 ounces of apple with a serving of peanut butter after running at night. It satisfies my hunger after working out because it is fatty, has a protein punch, and is sweet and a bit salty. It just hits the spot!
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sarajvz wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I saw a documentary about people who deliberately eat low calorie constantly, with the hope of living longer, since studies of rats show them living twice as long on a low calorie diets. Anyway, one of the things they would do was peel their fruit, and just eat the peel, saying this was where the micronutrients were and the flesh was mostly water and sugar - it was apples in the example. I wouldn't feel right wasting the rest of the fruit myself, but anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there.

Dr. Michael Mosley goes into this a bit in his BBC documentary Eat, Fast & Live Longer. Some pretty interesting research coming out about longevity of life and how it relates to how we eat.
    That's the one I saw!
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you really want chips. Have them. Lays makes very good baked chips. I buy those in the small individual bags. My entire family likes them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    It's not a waste of calories if it's providing you with nutrition. Chips (crisps) is a waste of calories because there is no nutritional value to them. I go for fruit every time over the unhealthy stuff.

Fats and indeed vitamin C in potato chips / crisps, hardly "no nutritional value".
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »
    It's not a waste of calories if it's providing you with nutrition. Chips (crisps) is a waste of calories because there is no nutritional value to them. I go for fruit every time over the unhealthy stuff.

Fats and indeed vitamin C in potato chips / crisps, hardly "no nutritional value".

Haha, i like your thinking!! we all need some sodium in our diet, thats the salt, I'm sure someone will know how vinegar will help you out...

Either way, I'm about to "close shop" for today, Im under my daily calorie allowance and I ate that damn sharon fruit!!! *should have bought crisps*
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fruit, but I never have - I just don't like it. I throw some in a smoothie every now and then to "try" but eh, I don't force stuff I don't like.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i'm on this kick now with berries....blueberries...raspberries...good antioxidants...not sure i could go cold turkey...
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone cold turkey, merely cut down to make room for other stuff...

and for those people worrying about my bowels, i eat loads and loads of vegetables...
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    yeah who said cold turkey?...oh i did....just saying i like fruit too much too..
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    I haven't gone cold turkey, merely cut down to make room for other stuff...

and for those people worrying about my bowels, i eat loads and loads of vegetables...

You are likely eating fruit anyway. We like to classify "fruits" based upon the amount of sugars they have in them, but to a plant fruit is the stuff around the seeds. Which makes sweet bell peppers the fruit of the plant, whereas eating lettuce leaves is "vegetation". I wouldn't worry about it.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Berries and apples are the only fruits my nutrition plan allows for. I do sneak the occasional mandarin orange, though.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I usually like savory flavors over sweet, so my fruit intake includes
    avocado
    cucumber
    pea pods
    beans
    tomatoes
    bell peppers
    nuts
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are getting at. Honestly, I'm at the point where if I want chips, I just eat the darn chips--I just portion it out. If what I'm really wanting is salty chips, no apple is going to make me feel satisfied. I feel better for just having a serving of what I really want and moving on!

I have been enjoying about 3-4 ounces of apple with a serving of peanut butter after running at night. It satisfies my hunger after working out because it is fatty, has a protein punch, and is sweet and a bit salty. It just hits the spot!

I had Granny Smith w/smooth peanut butter today, it hits the right spot even after not running :D
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    I rarely eat fruit, but I never have - I just don't like it. I throw some in a smoothie every now and then to "try" but eh, I don't force stuff I don't like.

Me too. I'm extremely picky when it comes to fruit so I mostly never bother. I do like a nice, cold, honey crisp apple, but the cost is prohibitive!

I prefer vegetables and junk food.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Roony02 wrote: »
    Be careful with drinking smoothies INSTEAD of fruit, they don't keep you as full for as long as just eating the fruit. Your body digests the liquid far quicker than the fruit itself. However, they are good in their own right.
    Actually, they keep me full as long as eating fruit, all the fiber is still there.

But, it's very easy to overdo it with the calories in smoothies.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat eating fruit. Fruit is full of good stuff for you and high in fiber to make you feel full. Compare 100 calories of most fruit to 100 calories of any junk food and you're going to get more food for your calories.

Eat your fruit. It's good for you.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    Lol, I think some of you took what I said a little too literally! Obviously fruit is better than crisps, obviously it is a choice you make, obviously crisps don't fill you up... I was just shocked that my healthy choice was so high in calories...

I think you have some disordered thinking about food. A piece of fruit being between 100-200 calories isn't 'high in calories'. Although if you want something very low in calories, look to the savory fruits like peppers, or to vegetables like celery. You can eat a high volume of those for very few calories.
    You need to rethink how you are looking at calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat eating fruit. Fruit is full of good stuff for you and high in fiber to make you feel full. Compare 100 calories of most fruit to 100 calories of any junk food and you're going to get more food for your calories.

Completely untrue. I know a number of people who eat diets very high in fruit and who are overweight. A person can get overweight eating anything, if the calorie intake is higher than the calorie burn.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

If all you ate was fruit, with a deliberate and determined effort I'm sure you could still get fat - although apparently freelee and durian rider (gofruityourself, carbthef**kup.com) are able to consume crazy amounts of fruit (50 bananas a day etc) - my theory is they just do a lot of exercise and are very active generally.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    has anyone else stopped eating fruit?

Nope. I love fruit.

However, I log it and make sure that it fits within my calorie limit.

And I haven't eaten a pear in 8 months. They are too high in calories for the energy they provide.

I'm also debating about mangoes. They are quite high in calories ... but I love them. They're my favourite.