has anyone else stopped eating fruit?

Options

Replies

• KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree that fruit is a waste of calories. For those calories you're getting valuable minerals, vitamins, fibre and water. It's a unprocessed whole food that deserves a place in a healthy diet.
    Junk food--now that's a waste of calories :)
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    LernRach wrote: »
    Lol, I think some of you took what I said a little too literally! Obviously fruit is better than crisps, obviously it is a choice you make, obviously crisps don't fill you up... I was just shocked that my healthy choice was so high in calories...

I think you have some disordered thinking about food. A piece of fruit being between 100-200 calories isn't 'high in calories'. Although if you want something very low in calories, look to the savory fruits like peppers, or to vegetables like celery. You can eat a high volume of those for very few calories.
    You need to rethink how you are looking at calories.

lol I don't think I have a disordered way of thinking about food at all, as I said a few times, I didn't actually mean that I would never eat it again, or that crisps are better than fruit... Was merely shocked at how high it was as it is so healthy! My normal breakfast is about 240 calories, so to think that a fruit as a snack would be 170 was surprising....
    I'm not sure diagnosing someone with disorders because of one throw away comment is the way forward... Imagine I really did have an ED.....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    No one ever got fat eating fruit. Fruit is full of good stuff for you and high in fiber to make you feel full. Compare 100 calories of most fruit to 100 calories of any junk food and you're going to get more food for your calories.

Eat your fruit. It's good for you.

If all you ate was fruit, with a deliberate and determined effort I'm sure you could still get fat - although apparently freelee and durian rider (gofruityourself, carbthef**kup.com) are able to consume crazy amounts of fruit (50 bananas a day etc) - my theory is they just do a lot of exercise and are very active generally.

my theory is they're sat on the toilet discharging calories
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No one ever got fat eating fruit. Fruit is full of good stuff for you and high in fiber to make you feel full. Compare 100 calories of most fruit to 100 calories of any junk food and you're going to get more food for your calories.

If all you ate was fruit, with a deliberate and determined effort I'm sure you could still get fat - although apparently freelee and durian rider (gofruityourself, carbthef**kup.com) are able to consume crazy amounts of fruit (50 bananas a day etc) - my theory is they just do a lot of exercise and are very active generally.

loll!!!!! probably!!!!!!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I must be really confused. Looking at a Pound of Strawberries that is ~150 calories. Is that high for a pound?

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Lol, I think some of you took what I said a little too literally! Obviously fruit is better than crisps, obviously it is a choice you make, obviously crisps don't fill you up... I was just shocked that my healthy choice was so high in calories...

I think you have some disordered thinking about food. A piece of fruit being between 100-200 calories isn't 'high in calories'. Although if you want something very low in calories, look to the savory fruits like peppers, or to vegetables like celery. You can eat a high volume of those for very few calories.
    You need to rethink how you are looking at calories.

lol I don't think I have a disordered way of thinking about food at all, as I said a few times, I didn't actually mean that I would never eat it again, or that crisps are better than fruit... Was merely shocked at how high it was as it is so healthy! My normal breakfast is about 240 calories, so to think that a fruit as a snack would be 170 was surprising....
    I'm not sure diagnosing someone with disorders because of one throw away comment is the way forward... Imagine I really did have an ED.....

Persimmons (Sharon fruit) are like fruit candy! Haha. Quite high in sugar (natural of course. Not good or bad, just contributes to a higher calorie content). Things like that I save for a rainy day, special/one-off occasion. They actually have them in the supermarket right now and I bought one because of this thread, its in my oven ripening up (Old Wives Tale my grandmother taught me)! Haha. Most of my fruit is the low-cal variety (melons/berries/apples).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If I've hit my calorie goal for the day and I eat fruit over and above that, it will impact my weight. Yes, fruit can provide more food for the calories. But the calories in it still matter.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I must be really confused. Looking at a Pound of Strawberries that is ~150 calories. Is that high for a pound?

no, because fruit is mainly water. A pound of dry rice would be over 1000 calories. Perhaps a "serving" is the thing to compare ?
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Be careful in assuming every calorie is equal. Mathematically, it may be, but to pass on fruit and have chocolate or crisps instead would be a mistake. Treat yourself, but 8/10 times choose the fruit.

On the other hand, sometimes people overconsume fruit because they think it's natural. It still changes to sugar in your body, so if you are trying to lose weight stick to 1-2 pieces of lower carb fruit a day and bulk up on the veggies and protein. Just MO
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    Be careful in assuming every calorie is equal. Mathematically, it may be, but to pass on fruit and have chocolate or crisps instead would be a mistake. Treat yourself, but 8/10 times choose the fruit.

On the other hand, sometimes people overconsume fruit because they think it's natural. It still changes to sugar in your body, so if you are trying to lose weight stick to 1-2 pieces of lower carb fruit a day and bulk up on the veggies and protein. Just MO

Nonsense. it doesn't matter what you eat. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Period. And if you eat nothing but fruit, you won't be very healthy. Your body needs fats and proteins as well.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Why the heck would I stop eating my favorite foods? I eat far more than the recommended daily number of fruit portions.
  • retailwizard1
    retailwizard1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes terrible fruit do high in calories... sugar too... I will have my fave only on occassion when they are cheap apples, bananas, grapes plums cherries melons
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes terrible fruit do high in calories... sugar too... I will have my fave only on occassion when they are cheap apples, bananas, grapes plums cherries melons

My apple last night was about 70 calories. I don't think it is THAT high.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of apples in the fall (I have a CSA, and eat what I get), and find them quite filling for the calories (which don't seem that high to me either). I don't consider melons or plums or cherries high either.

Bananas are higher, but hardly tough to fit -- depends on how much you like them. (I don't like grapes, so no opinion on them.) I seem to recall mangoes being pretty high cal, eh.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

no, because fruit is mainly water. A pound of dry rice would be over 1000 calories. Perhaps a "serving" is the thing to compare ?

That is a serving! It's fruit, nice tasty low calorie fruit!

• mccindy72
    Options

loll!!!!! probably!!!!!!

Like Margaret Cho did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1pIMgE8FA

And yeah, Freelee and her boyfriend do a ton of exercise.

Freelee is a terrible example of anyone to be taking advice from, or using as an example of anything except what not to do.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean :D When I was looking for ways to eat more healthily about a month ago, I tried to see what I could replace with different options that were better for me or less calories. The saturday night curry came around and although I usually like to have two mini naans rather than rice with the curry, on the spur of the moment I assumed that rice would be less calories. On logging it later on, it turned out to be only marginally better calorie-wise. Pfffft! Mini-naan all the way from now on. :open_mouth:

Regarding fruit, I have a banana every day and love it. But yeah, it's a bummer when you think you're choosing the better option and it turns out to have more calories than you thought! The calorie gods are so cruel.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I get what you mean :D When I was looking for ways to eat more healthily about a month ago, I tried to see what I could replace with different options that were better for me or less calories. The saturday night curry came around and although I usually like to have two mini naans rather than rice with the curry, on the spur of the moment I assumed that rice would be less calories. On logging it later on, it turned out to be only marginally better calorie-wise. Pfffft! Mini-naan all the way from now on. :open_mouth:

Regarding fruit, I have a banana every day and love it. But yeah, it's a bummer when you think you're choosing the better option and it turns out to have more calories than you thought! The calorie gods are so cruel.

As long as it fits in your calorie goals, it doesn't matter.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating fruit for the same reason, too high in calories to be worth it. But now I'm getting lower and lower on calories and thinking I need to go back to fruit to feel fuller again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't really eat fruit. Maybe once per week or not even. I would rather have a cookie or couple ounces of meat