Overcoming Sugar Addiction

Options
123457»

Replies

• hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this. I have recently realized my addiction to sugar and this is my current struggle.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Interesting article linking alzheimer's and sugar intake. I would like to see actual data, but that's because I'm a data nerd.

http://greenbeandelivery.com/healthytimes/foodnutrition/sugar-affects-brain-health/
  • lshapard
    lshapard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Interesting article linking alzheimer's and sugar intake. I would like to see actual data, but that's because I'm a data nerd.

http://greenbeandelivery.com/healthytimes/foodnutrition/sugar-affects-brain-health/

Yay! Data nerds!
  • lshapard
    Options
    hmrey76 wrote: »
    thank you for posting this. I have recently realized my addiction to sugar and this is my current struggle.

You're welcome, thanks for reading! It IS a struggle, and I respect your insight realizing it. Please use this space if you need to vent, ask questions or just chat away the cravings!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lshapard wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Yes, it's helpful and informative but there's a distinction that should be made here: the intention is to be able to come here and vent, talk about it, create camaraderie among those that are currently struggling; and in direct contrast to the OP on that thread, and other posters as well, the intervening discussion of will power, reduction of our feelings toward it and assertion that it doesn't exist has totally undermined the purpose here. These conversations have been tracked off to the agenda of the posters on that thread. Literally, it states not to tell someone who believes that they are addicted to something, "no you're not," and that was the very suggestion made by the OP from that thread here.

As I've repeated ad nauseam, using sugar as the go-to is a psychologically driven problem--rewarded with a physical response. Therefore, I feel comfortable making the statement that I'm addicted to sugars. Anecdotally, I've talked to my physician. He agreed. I've talked to a dietician. She agreed. While some substances create physiological addiction (crack, alcohol) to a very high degree, sugar does it to a manageable degree. No big deal for most people. But what if your behavior becomes married to that feel good moment? What if seeking that feeling becomes habitual, what if it is psychologically addicting, and the repeated behavior begins to physically alter the lower curve of your threshold?

That's why I started this and made that statement. It's seems that I can't be clear enough that this was intended for discussions about getting on with it, not about the academic validity of our feelings.
    But I'll tell you what, the experience is repeatable--with the same outcome every time. Replicable results. And it's a pretty elegant design. That's validation enough for me in my life.

this is where you've actually nailed down your own problem - that it's not the food, and not an addiction, but a behavioral issue. The reason that this is so important is that the treatment for behavioral issues is completely different from the treatment for substance addiction.
    While you can certainly find people who have the same behavioral issues as yourself, and you can perhaps figure out how to agree on your own behavioral pattern, the struggle begins in working to face and defeat that pattern. Targeting the food isn't the answer - targeting the behavior is.
    This is why so many of us are working to help you understand the difference.

Thank you for trying to parse something out for me, but again, it's not relevant to the need for social interaction with like-minded individuals.

I think the concept you are looking for - social interaction with like-minded individuals, would best be served by creating a group, as you really don't have the ability to control who participates in a thread in the general forums nor the content they post.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think this thread would be a useful (albeit long) read for many posting in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

Yes, please do read this - anyone who is claiming to be addicted to sugar, candy, or food of any kind. You will learn a lot, and it's worth the time to read.

Yes, all very valid no doubt, until you find yourself insulin sensitive, together with an ever increasing segment of the population.

Insulin resistance (which I think you mean) has nothing to do with the topic of addiction.

Also? Insulin resistance does not necessarily mean one needs to totally do without sugar/starch. Eating them in moderation/combination with fat/protein is recommended.

Avoiding sugar and starch completely when one is insulin resistant isn't a necessity. It's a choice.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think this thread would be a useful (albeit long) read for many posting in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

Yes, please do read this - anyone who is claiming to be addicted to sugar, candy, or food of any kind. You will learn a lot, and it's worth the time to read.

that thread is a gigantic straw man in its own right.

I don't think you understand what a straw man argument is.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that I like nvmomketo very much and was not attempting to make fun of or insult her in any way.

"Out, out damn spot!" No, wait, that's not the right Macbeth line. Something about protests.
    I think you might be thinking of Hamlet, not Macbeth, but I really do like that poster.
  • acord123
    acord123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also like sugar.. The other day I went to the local coffee shop and bought an itallian soda with vanilla flavoring and I had to have the whip cream too. I would like to cut back on sugar too. It seems like I only crave it when it is there staring at me and wanting me to ingest it... Most of the time I do a pretty good job by putting skim milk in my coffee and no sugar.... but I add the spices... powdered vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, .. I need some friends to help me with this.. I don't want to eliminate sugar, I just want to limit my intake.. Any advice..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Figure out how much you are eating, in what ways, and when/why you tend to overeat. Strategies that work will be specific.

I overeat when I eat for stress purposes or in an unplanned way. I don't tend to overeat if I have a dessert after a full and healthy dinner (or a bit of chocolate instead after a healthy lunch). I also don't tend to overeat if I am picky about my calorie sources and limit myself to only things that are really good and worth the calories (no lame sweets at work just because they happen to appear).

Similarly, I am MUCH better about not overeating something like ice cream I can put away in the freezer after I measure out my bit, or a chocolate bar I can parcel out over a few days (but good chocolate, not some mediocre thing). I am less good about not overeating a baked good, since I start telling myself "that pie will go bad, better eat it before it does," and since I know this trick my mind plays I tend to save stuff like that for my book group or a special meal with guests, where I won't end up with leftovers and can stick to a piece.

Honestly, though, my best strategy for moderation is to focus on and be enthusiastic about the many other foods I am eating. Then I only have room for a reasonable amount anyway and am overall satisfied and happy with my diet (including how tasty it is).

I've also cultivated (internally, I don't say stuff) my natural tendency toward food snobbiness, which I suppose can be annoying to others and won't work for everyone.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I asserted that accountability is one of the biggest factors here, so for those interested in talking accountability: Here's my daily dose.
    Yesterday was pretty good until the 9th hour. I had my brother bring a Coke over when he stopped by in the evening so our dogs could run amuck in my yard sending the squirrels into a frenzy. I don't keep pop in the house when I'm having a hard time controlling myself; I asked him to bring it because I usually wake around 4-5am and it was clear I was going to have to work late (can't imagine why...;)) so I broke down and called in the caffeine reinforcement. I have not yet mastered the genius of black coffee or straight tea, I'd rather turn in a late report. My sugar intake yesterday was pretty high as a result...and I thought I'd be cool to sail through today in spite of last night's transgression. Nope. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST THINGS I'VE REALIZED WITH MINDFULNESS AND STRESS EATING: I acquiesce with the idea that whatever stress I'm experiencing is momentary and passing and that coping in the moment is okay, because tomorrow won't be stressful. That's crazytalk. Dogs can live in the moment, but we humans need some foresight.

That was my lesson over the last 24 hours, because this morning--after only a few hours of sleep, I woke up to a kid with diarrhea and watched the idea of getting my coding all done before 6pm take a grandiose leap right out the window. Damn. I promptly sat down and ate a cookie (an organic cookie is still a cookie!) and realized that stress never goes away. Ever. Mindfulness. So, I did two things: I made a statement and I made a promise.

That amazing little tip about saying "YES" from @KalikeI worked like a charm in that moment: with every piece I said {to myself so my kid didn't think I was nuts} "I am choosing to eat this bite because I want it. I am choosing to eat this." [There are other private factors that made my morning a little scarier than normal too, because normally this doesn't happen until the end of the day.]
    Then, I made a promise. I find making promises to myself never really pan out because I'm a mom. But I promised my puppy a walk. I'll keep that. She needs it, I need it and during my walk I tried to think about the things I'm thankful for, and how to keep the momentum going IN A REALISTIC way.

Normally, after a one-two punch like that I'm down, defeated and feeling like I ALREADY ruined the day. Not today, friends.

One strategy at a time. Mindfulness, recognition and developing intention. That's my deal today.
    What's yours?

What about diet soda as a caffeine boost without the sugar?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    acord123 wrote: »
    I also like sugar.. The other day I went to the local coffee shop and bought an itallian soda with vanilla flavoring and I had to have the whip cream too. I would like to cut back on sugar too. It seems like I only crave it when it is there staring at me and wanting me to ingest it... Most of the time I do a pretty good job by putting skim milk in my coffee and no sugar.... but I add the spices... powdered vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, .. I need some friends to help me with this.. I don't want to eliminate sugar, I just want to limit my intake.. Any advice..

I'm curious why you think standing at a coffee shop and seeing some of the yummy offerings they have, and choosing to order one of them, means you are addicted to sugar. When I go to a restaurant and someone near me orders buffalo wings and I smell that sauce, it makes me want to order buffalo wings. Same thing if I see a big juicy cheeseburger being served at the next table. It doesn't make me addicted to wings and burgers, it makes me... hungry, and it makes the restaurant good at producing food that tempts customers to order it...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I asserted that accountability is one of the biggest factors here, so for those interested in talking accountability: Here's my daily dose.
    Yesterday was pretty good until the 9th hour. I had my brother bring a Coke over when he stopped by in the evening so our dogs could run amuck in my yard sending the squirrels into a frenzy. I don't keep pop in the house when I'm having a hard time controlling myself; I asked him to bring it because I usually wake around 4-5am and it was clear I was going to have to work late (can't imagine why...;)) so I broke down and called in the caffeine reinforcement. I have not yet mastered the genius of black coffee or straight tea, I'd rather turn in a late report. My sugar intake yesterday was pretty high as a result...and I thought I'd be cool to sail through today in spite of last night's transgression. Nope. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST THINGS I'VE REALIZED WITH MINDFULNESS AND STRESS EATING: I acquiesce with the idea that whatever stress I'm experiencing is momentary and passing and that coping in the moment is okay, because tomorrow won't be stressful. That's crazytalk. Dogs can live in the moment, but we humans need some foresight.

That was my lesson over the last 24 hours, because this morning--after only a few hours of sleep, I woke up to a kid with diarrhea and watched the idea of getting my coding all done before 6pm take a grandiose leap right out the window. Damn. I promptly sat down and ate a cookie (an organic cookie is still a cookie!) and realized that stress never goes away. Ever. Mindfulness. So, I did two things: I made a statement and I made a promise.

That amazing little tip about saying "YES" from @KalikeI worked like a charm in that moment: with every piece I said {to myself so my kid didn't think I was nuts} "I am choosing to eat this bite because I want it. I am choosing to eat this." [There are other private factors that made my morning a little scarier than normal too, because normally this doesn't happen until the end of the day.]
    Then, I made a promise. I find making promises to myself never really pan out because I'm a mom. But I promised my puppy a walk. I'll keep that. She needs it, I need it and during my walk I tried to think about the things I'm thankful for, and how to keep the momentum going IN A REALISTIC way.

Normally, after a one-two punch like that I'm down, defeated and feeling like I ALREADY ruined the day. Not today, friends.

One strategy at a time. Mindfulness, recognition and developing intention. That's my deal today.
    What's yours?

What about diet soda as a caffeine boost without the sugar?

Spoil sport.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Figure out how much you are eating, in what ways, and when/why you tend to overeat. Strategies that work will be specific.

I overeat when I eat for stress purposes or in an unplanned way. I don't tend to overeat if I have a dessert after a full and healthy dinner (or a bit of chocolate instead after a healthy lunch). I also don't tend to overeat if I am picky about my calorie sources and limit myself to only things that are really good and worth the calories (no lame sweets at work just because they happen to appear).

Similarly, I am MUCH better about not overeating something like ice cream I can put away in the freezer after I measure out my bit, or a chocolate bar I can parcel out over a few days (but good chocolate, not some mediocre thing). I am less good about not overeating a baked good, since I start telling myself "that pie will go bad, better eat it before it does," and since I know this trick my mind plays I tend to save stuff like that for my book group or a special meal with guests, where I won't end up with leftovers and can stick to a piece.

Honestly, though, my best strategy for moderation is to focus on and be enthusiastic about the many other foods I am eating. Then I only have room for a reasonable amount anyway and am overall satisfied and happy with my diet (including how tasty it is).

I've also cultivated (internally, I don't say stuff) my natural tendency toward food snobbiness, which I suppose can be annoying to others and won't work for everyone.
    @lemurcat12
    Is your method something you've always managed to do or is something you're taught yourself since starting here? Would love to hear more ...and then try some of what you've shared. Hopefully other things you share will also click enough for me to feel I can make similar changes.

Thanks!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am highly addicted to sugar, I can't have any kind of candy or sweets in the house, if I get 1 bite I will eat it all, I can't help it no mater how hard I try. I am actually proud of myself, we have Halloween candy in the house right now and I haven't touched it, but I've been off sugar for almost 2 weeks now, if I hadn't already started purging it from my body all that chocolate would be gone. I also have to be careful of bread but for me it's mainly the candy, the pure sugar, that gets me.

I also can't have fruit as I have a sensitivity to citric acid, so I can't use that as a go to for sweets (though I really wish I could eat a strawberry or pineapple sometimes)

Strong work on the Halloween Candy!! My kids are so young I pilfered a chunk of their stashes out to the other kids in the group without them knowing! ;) Once they're old enough to notice, I'll defer to respecting their property as a way to logically avoid the candy!
    Can you have low citric acid fruits, like a banana or apple or mango in moderation? I know when I use fruit as a bandaid, its because I need something fast and easy.

Any ideas for fast, easy non-fruit alternatives out there?
    @nvmomketo?

And I agree, that less than 5 grams of sugar a day (net or gross) is very unhealthy. We do need it for regular metabolic function and it is important to get the necessary amount for a healthy lifestyle.
    I've always aimed for 25 and landed between 30-40 and my doctor was totally fine with that (MY doctor, yours might not be, I don't have any comorbidities). Personally, at 25g/day (net), I felt really, really bad. It could be a reflection of my always-on-the-move lifestyle too.

Non-fruit alternatives? Veggies with a dip, nuts, coconut, cacao, pepperoni and cheese are my most common snacks. For a bit of sweet, I add stevia, whey protein powder and coconut cream to coffee.

I was never a big fruit eater even before going low carb, so dropping fruits beyond half a mandarin orange or a handfull of berries was very easy for me. It would be tougher for fruit lovers. My oldest son is a veggie and fruit fiend. For lunch he had a canteloupe, an english cucumber, a pepper, 4 oranges, some peanuts with raisens and cacao, and some pepperoni sticks and cheese. He's a 75lb 12 year old whose lunch looks like a produce bag - he could never gove up fruit.
    Nvmomketo can you please advise how you manage to have enough fibre in your diet to be regular AND eat less than 10 grams of sugar. Me, for medical reasons I have to minimise sugar but struggle to eat enough fibre,. Doctor has me not eating grains nor beans nor any fruit except max 1 handful of berries. Leafy greens are great, even with hundred of grams of greens consumed. 0.2 g sugar vs 2.2g fibre in spinach but after 250g grams I really struggle and need to get to 30 grams of fibre. Thoughts?

I have insulin resistance and autoimmune issues that I restrict carbs (and sugar) to treat. I am also a celiac which caused lifelong issues with constipation (although I did not realize it since that's all I ever knew). Before being diagnosed, I made a point of eating healthy greens, beans, taking a half dozen fibre supplements per day and having a metamucil drink everyday. It was a LOT of fibre. It didn't help, I still only "went" a few times a week.

After going gluten-free, it improved to mostly normal and I cut waaaay back on my fibre. No more supplements.

When I went very LCHF, I increased my healthy fats by a fair bit. A bit more meat and more coconut oil and butter. Also more avocados and more nuts. Things got moving almost too fast, and that is with a fibre intake that is very low.

I firmly believe that fibre is important for helping move carbs through a body, but I don't think it is needed for meats and fats. Something in those (the fats most likely) gets things going just fine on a very LCHF diet.

If one is not on a very LCHF (ketogenic) diet, then you may need more fibre for regular BMs. I have heard this n0-need-for-fibre refrain from many low carbers. Fibre is a non-issue for them.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I ever did for myself was do a yeast and parasite cleanse for 95 days...I know, I know it sounds so extreme however it made such an amazing difference in any kind of cravings. I no longer have ANY cravings for sugar, the weight slipped off of me with no problems and I am now maintaining just fine. I now believe that because of eating processed and raw foods as well as living with pets for a huge part of my life it created a terrible imbalance in my system. I can't say enough about what a HUGE difference I feel. I saw a Naturopathic Dr. who helped me. All the best to you!

Please don't post things like this
    . Cleanses don't work and aren't necessary. The liver and kidneys perform the function of cleansing the blood and keeping the body healthy.
    The cleanse you are promoting is a colon cleanse. The intestines are a major part of the body's immune system, and 'cleanses' that affect the gut flora can seriously damage this immune system. There are many benign bacteria in the gut and using this cleanse removes them from the body, leaving you vulnerable to many dangerous infections and viruses.

I'm not sure you understand what she wrote... yeast cleanse is not a colon cleanse. Check it out, go back and actually read what she wrote and then Google it. Perhaps you can Google yeast and that might help you understand that it has nothing to with the colon.

Perhaps you could leave my post alone as it was, as I did completely research the 'yeast and parasite cleanse' before posting. Note just the 'yeast cleanse' as you mention after you thoroughly butchered my post.

I don't post things without researching them first, if I don't know what they are.

It seems you are the one who might benefit from some time spent doing research.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    hmrey76 wrote: »

You're welcome, thanks for reading! It IS a struggle, and I respect your insight realizing it. Please use this space if you need to vent, ask questions or just chat away the cravings!

@lshapard Just wanted to pop in before I headed to bed and say thank you for starting this thread! I've found it very helpful and will continue to make changes. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

@lemurcat12
    Is your method something you've always managed to do or is something you're taught yourself since starting here? Would love to hear more ...and then try some of what you've shared. Hopefully other things you share will also click enough for me to feel I can make similar changes.

Thanks!

It's just stuff I've figured out over time that works for me or that I've learned through some trial and error. I'd say it's a bunch of different strategies vs. an overarching method. What I found really helpful (since I'm a word and list oriented person) is to be really analytical about when I found myself doing things I didn't want to do -- when was I tempted or likely to overeat? What was going on when I failed to stick to a plan and what messages was I giving myself. Stuff like that. Then I could address the specifics.
  • lshapard
    Options
    Thank you @WinoGelato for the idea.
    Here's the group for those interested. I will move my accountability and thoughts posts there!
    Please ask to join if you'd like to engage in discussions that will help us all move forward to coping successfully without sugar dependence at all.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109813-overcoming-sugar-addiction